PDA

View Full Version : ROG Zephyrus GX501 feedback?

player1_fanatic
07-13-2017, 07:13 AM
I was surprised that there was no thread for this laptop.

So here is one.

Any lucky buyers?

Is the keyboard as bad as shown in reviews (especially if used in lap)?

Can numpad section be converted to arrows, home/end, pgup/pgdn keys?

Is noise emission really lower then in 15" Asus laptops with GTX 1060?

Is battery as bad as shown in some reviews?

Anybody confirmed CPU/GPU downclock if using with closed lid and extranal monitor?

Seekario
07-17-2017, 09:54 AM
One lucky buyer here :D
Well the keyboard isn't as bad as it seems , it takes a bit of taking use to it , but I use it with no problems ...

I didn't attempt to change the number pad to any other key
Is extremely quiet , like extremely like 35 decibels under heavy load , which is pretty good .

Battery lasts about 2 to 3 hours under low usage , 1:30 to 2 hours under gaming .

I couldn't confirm CPU / GPU downgrade , I didn't noticed any downgrade when using a external monitor everything seem to stay the same.
Any other questions? I'm loving the looks and the performance , runs everything one 1080 resolution , so I'm happy , extremely light and portable ? Loving this laptops, looks pretty well build , pretty sure it will last me a long time .

player1_fanatic
07-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Did you tried using it on the lap. Is it difficult to use that way?

Does hand wrist thing help when using on the table? Or is not needed, due to low thickness of laptop?

Have you tried using external monitor, with laptop lid closed?
That is the scenario I assume laptop would downclock, due to inability to dissipate heat when closed.

I'm glad about low noise. I think that together with small format are the are best features of that laptop.

Seekario
07-18-2017, 07:37 AM
Umm I can see myself using it like that , but the part that opens at the very bottom is not super firm , so I don't think it'll be ideal , but definetely usable on lap.

I used the hand wrist once and found it irrelevant, and never used it again, actually I'm using on my main desktop on my keyboard .

Have you tried using external monitor, with laptop lid closed?
I couldnt use it with the lid closed but tbh I never tried it , just now and it just shut off.

And the noise, the looks , size and weight are big part of the premium price, definetely recommended if those are your concerns ( like me college gamer on the go) but if you don't care about look or weight or size , just get a cheaper , fatter and bad looking laptop for less.
And remember 2 and half hours maximum of gaming so if you are on the go add the weight of the actual unit which is pretty big aswell , About 1.5 pounds.

rene_canlas
07-29-2017, 08:26 AM
A friend already got his, and I'm expecting to get my Zephy by August 12 (pre-order). I've been researching ways to extend the run-time even just for office work/browsing/videos. I am thinking of getting the Lifepowr A2 or A3, both of which sport an AC power outlet and can handle up to 120W. The disadvantage of this model is that you still have to bring the Zephy's bulky power adapter. I'm also looking into DC power banks that can handle 100w or higher.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Seekario
08-01-2017, 02:03 AM
A friend already got his, and I'm expecting to get my Zephy by August 12 (pre-order). I've been researching ways to extend the run-time even just for office work/browsing/videos. I am thinking of getting the Lifepowr A2 or A3, both of which sport an AC power outlet and can handle up to 120W. The disadvantage of this model is that you still have to bring the Zephy's bulky power adapter. I'm also looking into DC power banks that can handle 100w or higher.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
can you please ask your friend or when you get yours , how are the temperatures while gaming on ultra.
I get between low 80's and 86.
While playing Black dessert or Overwatch ill give it a try on League of legends which is not too demanding, but I really hear my fan going while gaming...

jocavedd
08-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Hey guys, just got mine. Are the speakers that bad or I have a faulty unit. I get a lot of distortion at times specially from the right speaker. You tube is the worse. During gaming and Netflix/Spotify is also bad if I get past 70%. Headphones sound is perfect. Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks!

Bahz
08-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Hey guys, just got mine. Are the speakers that bad or I have a faulty unit. I get a lot of distortion at times specially from the right speaker. You tube is the worse. During gaming and Netflix/Spotify is also bad if I get past 70%. Headphones sound is perfect. Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks!

Can you record something for us to hear? My experience testing out the audio through the notebook speakers during Computex, the speakers sounded pretty good.

jocavedd
08-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Can you record something for us to hear? My experience testing out the audio through the notebook speakers during Computex, the speakers sounded pretty good.

I spoke to support. Clearly a faulty speaker. Sound perfect if I only use the other speaker. RMA request sent : (

Bahz
08-02-2017, 01:43 AM
I spoke to support. Clearly a faulty speaker. Sound perfect if I only use the other speaker. RMA request sent : (

Sucks, I hope you get it back soon. :)

rpc72
08-02-2017, 03:27 AM
can you please ask your friend or when you get yours , how are the temperatures while gaming on ultra.
I get between low 80's and 86.
While playing Black dessert or Overwatch ill give it a try on League of legends which is not too demanding, but I really hear my fan going while gaming...

Will do. In the meantime, in case you haven't seen this... Notebookcheck's in-depth review of the Zephy
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-GX501-Laptop-Review.230546.0.html

Peleous
08-19-2017, 01:23 AM

I'm having the same issue. For me it's the left speaker - has a high pitched "twangy" sound (if that makes any sense. I thought I blew my speaker, but when I restarted it it went back to normal. Seems to be sporadic. Not sure what it is.

Varanack
08-20-2017, 03:31 PM
So far I've been very impressed with the Zephyrus. I haven't had any speaker issues, but I have had a number of other problems. Occasionally after waking from sleep, hibernation, or even after starting up the screen won't transition to the lock screen after the ROG splash screen comes up. I've recently started using a second monitor with it and will see if that resolves the issue.

In addition to that I've had several programs crash/close/exit on their own, namely Discord and Battle.net. Research on the issue suggests that running in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 may resolve this problem. I will see if that fixes it.

Bahz
08-21-2017, 02:40 AM
So far I've been very impressed with the Zephyrus. I haven't had any speaker issues, but I have had a number of other problems. Occasionally after waking from sleep, hibernation, or even after starting up the screen won't transition to the lock screen after the ROG splash screen comes up. I've recently started using a second monitor with it and will see if that resolves the issue.

In addition to that I've had several programs crash/close/exit on their own, namely Discord and Battle.net. Research on the issue suggests that running in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 may resolve this problem. I will see if that fixes it.

Discord crashes on every single system I have it installed on (total 4 different systems). Battle.net occasionally has been crashing for me but not that often.

Varanack
08-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Discord crashes on every single system I have it installed on (total 4 different systems). Battle.net occasionally has been crashing for me but not that often.

That's very true. Both of those programs are far from free from having their own issues. I haven't had any crashes during gaming or anything else, so I am thankful about that.

Regarding my other issue, running a second monitor does not seem to resolve the issue. I've updated my graphics, bios, and other drivers and am still encountering the problem. Doing a power cycle with the power button seems to remedy it, though occasionally it will run a disk check/repair after rebooting. Does anyone think it's possible the issue may be with my hard drive?

As an additional bit of information, I encounter this problem regardless of how the computer is put into sleep, hibernate, or shut down.

Bahz
08-28-2017, 02:49 AM
That's very true. Both of those programs are far from free from having their own issues. I haven't had any crashes during gaming or anything else, so I am thankful about that.

Regarding my other issue, running a second monitor does not seem to resolve the issue. I've updated my graphics, bios, and other drivers and am still encountering the problem. Doing a power cycle with the power button seems to remedy it, though occasionally it will run a disk check/repair after rebooting. Does anyone think it's possible the issue may be with my hard drive?

As an additional bit of information, I encounter this problem regardless of how the computer is put into sleep, hibernate, or shut down.

By the sounds of it, this could be a hard drive issue.

rpc72
08-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, can you check your battery wear level using an app such as BatteryBar or BatteryInfoView? Mine registered 3.2% wear when I got my Zephy last Friday, two full drain and charge sessions later it's at 7.4% :(

Silver Storm
08-29-2017, 05:24 AM
It's pretty nice, though it's not as powerful as I expected, GW2 at max graphics settings only runs at 70-80fps rather than 100+ as I hoped for, but still a blessing none the less to play games at 60+ fps. And keyboards gets warm to a little hot, but never bothers me. Aside from those 2 minor factors I think the gx501 is still the best/ultimate laptop ever made successfully.

Edit: I forgot to mention the first 2 gx501 had a faulty video card/monitor and had to return it, but the 3rd one works like a charm.

Bahz
08-30-2017, 03:32 AM
Hey guys, can you check your battery wear level using an app such as BatteryBar or BatteryInfoView? Mine registered 3.2% wear when I got my Zephy last Friday, two full drain and charge sessions later it's at 7.4% :(

Can you clarify this in more details?

Varanack
09-02-2017, 01:41 AM
It's pretty nice, though it's not as powerful as I expected, GW2 at max graphics settings only runs at 70-80fps rather than 100+ as I hoped for, but still a blessing none the less to play games at 60+ fps. And keyboards gets warm to a little hot, but never bothers me. Aside from those 2 minor factors I think the gx501 is still the best/ultimate laptop ever made successfully.

Edit: I forgot to mention the first 2 gx501 had a faulty video card/monitor and had to return it, but the 3rd one works like a charm.

What kind of issues were you having with the video card/monitor? Just DoA?

Bahz
09-02-2017, 07:31 AM
For those that have speaker related issues, please PM me with your serial number so we can track the notebook in our system and also see if there are other returned units in the same batch with the same problem.

Andyluca6933
09-02-2017, 09:27 PM
One lucky buyer here :D
Well the keyboard isn't as bad as it seems , it takes a bit of taking use to it , but I use it with no problems ...

I didn't attempt to change the number pad to any other key
Is extremely quiet , like extremely like 35 decibels under heavy load , which is pretty good .

Battery lasts about 2 to 3 hours under low usage , 1:30 to 2 hours under gaming .

I couldn't confirm CPU / GPU downgrade , I didn't noticed any downgrade when using a external monitor everything seem to stay the same.
Any other questions? I'm loving the looks and the performance , runs everything one 1080 resolution , so I'm happy , extremely light and portable ? Loving this laptops, looks pretty well build , pretty sure it will last me a long time .

Hi. Can please someone offer me the folder called "esupport" from c: for this laptop? I've lost mine by mistake, and it's hard to find it. I really nead it. Thank you so much

Bahz
09-05-2017, 03:17 AM
Hi. Can please someone offer me the folder called "esupport" from c: for this laptop? I've lost mine by mistake, and it's hard to find it. I really nead it. Thank you so much

You might need to contact technical support for a request like this or ask someone who owns this model can send these files to you.

Andyluca6933
09-05-2017, 12:01 PM
You might need to contact technical support for a request like this or ask someone who owns this model can send these files to you.

Hi. Yes, this is what i try. I want someone who can send me his files. If someone whith this model gx501 can, please let me know here. I offer 20/.Thank you

Silver Storm
09-07-2017, 11:34 AM
What kind of issues were you having with the video card/monitor? Just DoA?

Yea, the first one I purchased the screen only lasted for a about 10 seconds before going completely black, 2nd one lasted a bit better, screen sometimes works, but nearly all the time goes black and had to reformat the computer without the screen working, lol.

covahmos
09-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,

I have a Zephyrus with the 1080, love the laptop.

Pros - I like the keyboard and trackpad a lot. No issues with the trackpad as some of stated and I like how it is on the right side of the machine.
- Overall design is slick and it feels like a premium laptop. (did cost about 4k w/ tax CAD)
- Lots of ports (USB)
- 1080 Overclocks pretty well, runs any game on High and Ultra w/ 1440p setting (nvidia drivers )
- Really quite
- Amazing 120hrz gsync screen

Cons - Finger prints are everywhere you touch the chassis
- No extra storeage space inside the machine
- Max 24GB of RAM upgradeable (1 x 8GB onboard 1x8GB replaceable)
- Have one white stuck pixel top of the screen

Other than those few things, I love the laptop.

Bahz
09-12-2017, 02:57 AM
Hey guys,

I have a Zephyrus with the 1080, love the laptop.

Pros - I like the keyboard and trackpad a lot. No issues with the trackpad as some of stated and I like how it is on the right side of the machine.
- Overall design is slick and it feels like a premium laptop. (did cost about 4k w/ tax CAD)
- Lots of ports (USB)
- 1080 Overclocks pretty well, runs any game on High and Ultra w/ 1440p setting (nvidia drivers )
- Really quite
- Amazing 120hrz gsync screen

Cons - Finger prints are everywhere you touch the chassis
- No extra storeage space inside the machine
- Max 24GB of RAM upgradeable (1 x 8GB onboard 1x8GB replaceable)
- Have one white stuck pixel top of the screen

Other than those few things, I love the laptop.

Good review, thanks for sharing :)

HAMSTERS
09-12-2017, 11:13 PM
I am also having the speaker issue. It is producing high pitch distortion sound when the issue happens. However, it can be resolve by restarting or just wait for a few minutes. I tried reinstall a clean Windows, but failed. Hopefully, there will be a solution in the future.

My unit was manufactured in Aug. BIOS version is 300

PiTpOsSuM
09-15-2017, 07:08 AM
I am also having the speaker issue. It is producing high pitch distortion sound when the issue happens. However, it can be resolve by restarting or just wait for a few minutes. I tried reinstall a clean Windows, but failed. Hopefully, there will be a solution in the future.

My unit was manufactured in Aug. BIOS version is 300

Hi, got the same issue with my ASUS GX501. Is there any solution out now? I had an Alieware 15 R3 before and it had also distrortion with Realtek Drivers. A Driver Update solved the issue later.

I wonder why do you have a newer BIOS Version? Do you have the GTX1070 or 1080? I can only find the BIOS 201 for my model.

Bahz
09-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Our team is working on new FW/driver to address the distortion issue, once I have any updates on my end then I will let everyone know.

HAMSTERS
09-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Hi, got the same issue with my ASUS GX501. Is there any solution out now? I had an Alieware 15 R3 before and it had also distrortion with Realtek Drivers. A Driver Update solved the issue later.

I wonder why do you have a newer BIOS Version? Do you have the GTX1070 or 1080? I can only find the BIOS 201 for my model.

I own a 1080 model. The bios comes with my laptop is 300. However, the latest version on their support site is 201. I do not know what is going on here. I tried a newer audio driver, but nothing changed so far. I hope they can get it fixed by update BIOS or driver.

Andyluca6933
09-18-2017, 05:45 PM
I own a 1080 model. The bios comes with my laptop is 300. However, the latest version on their support site is 201. I do not know what is going on here. I tried a newer audio driver, but nothing changed so far. I hope they can get it fixed by update BIOS or driver.

Hi. I have the same model with 1080. Can you share your 'eDriver' folder? I will buy you a beer. Thank you

HAMSTERS
09-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Hi. I have the same model with 1080. Can you share your 'eDriver' folder? I will buy you a beer. Thank you

Sorry, I reinstalled the Windows. I don't have the folder.

PiTpOsSuM
09-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Our team is working on new FW/driver to address the distortion issue, once I have any updates on my end then I will let everyone know.

Hi, do you have any update regarding a new BIOS or driver?

iloveoov
09-26-2017, 03:07 AM
Hi guys, I have a quick question that's quite a departure from the technical conversation going on in this thread.

I purchased a GX501VI from Adorama a couple of days ago, and the main asus tape on top of the external packaging wasn't applied properly, so I'm a bit worried I might have received a previously returned laptop, sold as brand new (like many other horror stories on the web).

What was reassuring was that the smaller box inside was still shrink wrapped. However there was a hole on the side of the shrink wrap, not the kind of hole where it was damaged, but the kind where it looks like a part of the shrink wrap process.

I just want to ask anyone who recently purchased the GX501VI or anyone who can remember unpacking theirs, whether or not you had the same kind of gap in your shrink wrap. Thanks in advance for the help!

waltercool
09-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Well, Linux user here, so I will provide my Linux experience with the laptop

The laptop mostly works fine. You need to use kernel above 4.12 to have properly support of the keyboard. Numeric Keypad doesn't work and there is no tool to properly manage Aura colors because ASUS don't want to do it soon. So, Windows is needed. Audio works weak, but getting fixed on 4.14 "I hope", there is a hotfix at least for headphones. Also, lid close to suspend doesn't work. Auto-brightness doesn't work, but let be honest, it doesn't work on any Linux laptop without some custom work.

I sent a bugfix to Nvidia because the laptop have a problem with G-Sync on Linux and they are working on it.

Everything else, works fine. No major problem with games. 120fps are amazing, and no problems with my HTC Vive.

Hope it helps.

covahmos
10-03-2017, 05:54 PM
So, I am having the boot issues when the machine boots the ROG logo comes up then blank screen... have to hard boot again for windows to come up....

PiTpOsSuM
10-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Hi, still waiting for an update regarding the speaker problem. Are there any news? What about a new BIOS?

Varanack
10-08-2017, 12:07 PM
So, I am having the boot issues when the machine boots the ROG logo comes up then blank screen... have to hard boot again for windows to come up....

That's the same issue I've been having. So far I haven't found any fixes for it but it may be a connector/hardware issue with the monitor or graphics card. Updating drivers for bios/display/graphics has not resolved the issue.

It's intermittent and aside from this one issue on startup/wake up does not seem to have any other negative effects (yet). I'll be sure to post back here if I do find anything else.

HAMSTERS
10-10-2017, 06:07 AM
Hi, still waiting for an update regarding the speaker problem. Are there any news? What about a new BIOS?

I think they gave up on this problem since they have already worked on this issue for nearly a month. Good luck on your laptop. I returned.

PiTpOsSuM
10-10-2017, 01:57 PM
I guess you are right, most of the time I play with a heaset anyway. But for a 3000 laptop I expect that the speakers are working correctly. As I mentioned earlier the Alienware 15 R3 had the same issue. Using the Windows integrated Drivers solved the issue there. Unfortunately this doesn't work for the Zephyrus...

Besides that my System runs very nice, also I had to do a repaste. Dropped the temperatures about 15 degrees.

HAMSTERS
10-11-2017, 12:48 AM
I guess you are right, most of the time I play with a heaset anyway. But for a 3000 laptop I expect that the speakers are working correctly. As I mentioned earlier the Alienware 15 R3 had the same issue. Using the Windows integrated Drivers solved the issue there. Unfortunately this doesn't work for the Zephyrus...

Besides that my System runs very nice, also I had to do a repaste. Dropped the temperatures about 15 degrees.

You are right. At least Dell has put efforts to update drivers and bios to make product better, that is why I love Alienware even it also has so many problems. But Asus is just ignoring issues for this "flagship" product. My Zephyrus had a 300 version of BIOS a month ago, but the support site only has the old 201 BIOS.

waltercool
10-11-2017, 08:08 AM
You are right. At least Dell has put efforts to update drivers and bios to make product better, that is why I love Alienware even it also has so many problems. But Asus is just ignoring issues for this "flagship" product. My Zephyrus had a 300 version of BIOS a month ago, but the support site only has the old 201 BIOS.

Also, both Alienware and Razer gave properly support for Linux :/

I hate to lack any support about it, meanwhile those laptops are fully supported.

HAMSTERS
10-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Also, both Alienware and Razer gave properly support for Linux :/

I hate to lack any support about it, meanwhile those laptops are fully supported.

Actually, the gx501 is the best portable gaming laptop right now. Just hope Asus can really do something to make it better.

sirvink
10-15-2017, 03:57 PM

For me, a boot after power off is very quick, but when waking it up after going into sleep mode, it takes forever. It will come up eventually on it's own, after about 5 minutes of waiting. If I get tired of waiting, I can click it back to sleep, then wake again and it seems to pop up right away. Still trying to diagnose why this is happening. Asus clearly released this beautiful laptop before running it through it's paces.

I have two other issues:
No way to turn off accent lighting for the logo on the back and especially the lighting underneath. When I take this to work, I need it to look like a business laptop. I can put black tape over the "Republic of gamers" below the screen and I am putting tape over the LEDs that light up under the laptop. I should not have to.

The other issue is the Gaming Center key above the number pad. It always pops up the gaming center app in the background. Anyway to make it pop to the front? Very small issue.

Suggestion for the future: Make the number pad a fully customizable touch screen, where we can draw our own buttons, bring in images from the web, use our own colors and set the positioning of it all. Turn it into a real gaming pad. Either that or do away with the touch pad completely and make it a real number pad with physical buttons. I never laptop with a touch pad.

PiTpOsSuM
10-20-2017, 05:55 AM
Any Update regarding a new BIOS Version. Still waiting for a solution for the speaker Problem. Besides that you could raise the GPU clocks for about 100 - 150mhz by default. The chassis and temps will be still healthy.

DJRiful
10-21-2017, 08:04 PM
GX501 is a wonderful laptop. Gorgeous. My culprit is that those USB ports are so tight to plug in and out lol. Which is good some device usb are dangling loose.

I am being super careful with this laptop, even it is very sturdy, I am trying to not to make any marking or scratch on it.

covahmos
10-26-2017, 10:03 PM
I was getting complete reboots and shutdowns when CP temps reached over 95c. I undervolted which seem to help a bit... but may have to repaste. Still also looking for a bios update.. system is currently on the 201 (1080 model)

PiTpOsSuM
11-07-2017, 09:34 AM
I was getting complete reboots and shutdowns when CP temps reached over 95c. I undervolted which seem to help a bit... but may have to repaste. Still also looking for a bios update.. system is currently on the 201 (1080 model)

Repasted mine with liquid metal. Dropped the temps for about 15 degrees. Got 80C max on CPU now.

DJRiful
11-09-2017, 01:56 AM
Repasted mine with liquid metal. Dropped the temps for about 15 degrees. Got 80C max on CPU now.

If you undervold -125mV, will it drops another 10c? 70c on load? Doeet!

PiTpOsSuM
11-09-2017, 10:18 AM
If you undervold -125mV, will it drops another 10c? 70c on load? Doeet!

This one is already with undervolt. The values vary from game to game. E.g. BF1 is a very CPU and GPU demanding game and we have a "shared heatsink". Therfore temperateues can raise a bit. Nevertheless when the system is under heavy load (GPU and CPU) I'm not above 80-84 degrees. Normal is 70 - 75 under normal load like Dark Souls 3. One tip to drop temperatures is to play non FPS games not in 120hz. You can choose 60hz or 85hz to drastically drop temperatures and fan noise. My values above are with 120hz. With MSI Afterburner you can limit FPS.

scottym
11-20-2017, 01:06 PM
I've been having what sounds like very similar issues.

Since getting the laptop, on occasion, just after the BIOS ROG logo, it would go completely blank and would require a hard reset. Over time it appeared to get worse and actually ended up with a second symptom. Sometimes at the Windows logon page the screen would go all corrupted, crazy colours and unresponsive.

Over time I have noticed the corruption happens at different times, not just after booting. Today I noticed that it seems to happen more when waking up from sleep.

I had an existing case open with Asus, given that this has happened over multiple Geforce drivers. They suggested a Windows re-install. I did that (complete wipe, deleted personal files). I only got as far as installing Firefox, when the screen corruption happened again. Screenshot attached showing this.

Seems awfully coincidental having two display issues, I'm willing to bet they're linked.

Asus have arranged an RMA, which is a royal pain given that I'm due to travel next week for work! Also wanted the laptop over Christmas for some VR with my extended family. Guess that's me snookered on both counts.

For me, a boot after power off is very quick, but when waking it up after going into sleep mode, it takes forever. It will come up eventually on it's own, after about 5 minutes of waiting. If I get ti red of waiting, I can click it back to sleep, then wake again and it seems to pop up right away. Still trying to diagnose why this is happening. Asus clearly released this beautiful laptop before running it through it's paces.

I have two other issues:
No way to turn off accent lighting for the logo on the back and especially the lighting underneath. When I take this to work, I need it to look like a business laptop. I can put black tape over the "Republic of gamers" below the screen and I am putting tape over the LEDs that light up under the laptop. I should not have to.

The other issue is the Gaming Center key above the number pad. It always pops up the gaming center app in the background. Anyway to make it pop to the front? Very small issue.

Suggestion for the future: Make the number pad a fully customizable touch screen, where we can draw our own buttons, bring in images from the web, use our own colors and set the positioning of it all. Turn it into a real gaming pad. Either that or do away with the touch pad completely and make it a real number pad with physical buttons. I never laptop with a touch pad.

mario64
11-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Our team is working on new FW/driver to address the distortion issue, once I have any updates on my end then I will let everyone know.What is the status on this Bahz? It has been two months...

Varanack
11-24-2017, 03:06 AM
I've been having what sounds like very similar issues.

Since getting the laptop, on occasion, just after the BIOS ROG logo, it would go completely blank and would require a hard reset. Over time it appeared to get worse and actually ended up with a second symptom. Sometimes at the Windows logon page the screen would go all corrupted, crazy colours and unresponsive.

Over time I have noticed the corruption happens at different times, not just after booting. Today I noticed that it seems to happen more when waking up from sleep.

I had an existing case open with Asus, given that this has happened over multiple Geforce drivers. They suggested a Windows re-install. I did that (complete wipe, deleted personal files). I only got as far as installing Firefox, when the screen corruption happened again. Screenshot attached showing this.

Seems awfully coincidental having two display issues, I'm willing to bet they're linked.

Asus have arranged an RMA, which is a royal pain given that I'm due to travel next week for work! Also wanted the laptop over Christmas for some VR with my extended family. Guess that's me snookered on both counts.

I've only been having the first issue and haven't encountered any other graphical or monitor-related issues aside from that. I suspect it may be a loose or poor connection to the monitor itself. Sometimes when it occurs I have a second monitor attached and the second one displays as normal. Again, driver and BIOS updates have not alleviated this issue for me.

jkrueger1
11-26-2017, 12:44 AM
With mine I've noticed two issues:
1) Loading games such as D3 the game will partially load then freeze in game requiring a process kill and restart of the game to remedy the issue.
2) The laptop cannot use a USB Ethernet adapter either from the one included with the rig or other ones I've got including USB-c and standard USB 3. When gaming for a bit of time the USB Ethernet adapter will disconnect from the system and disconnect me from the bnet server. My only recourse to game with this laptop is using WiFi as I can't seem to figure out how to address the USB Ethernet adapter issue. I would prefer Ethernet considering the better latency and overall performance associated with Ethernet connectivity.

OnePiece@ASUS
12-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Could you please tell me your ethernet dongle's model name?

jkrueger1
12-14-2017, 03:18 AM
Could you please tell me your ethernet dongle's model name?

There was a few I tried. The first was the one that came originally with the laptop. The second was a Startech usb-c us1gc30pd and the third was a startech usb 3.0 usb31000sptb. I'm not sure what model the ASUS dongle is as I can't seem to find a label. Both the ASUS and USB 3.0 startech worked until I gamed where it would randomly disconnect while I couldn't get the usb-c one to work at all. Perhaps I am missing a driver. I believe the USB C port is thunderbolt 3. I know the adapter works on my razer blade stealth without an issue.

Stumme
12-19-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm kind of sad. I really love the performance of this laptop so far.

The biggest, most destructive and detrimental trait of this laptop for me, at this very moment, is the absurdly bright LED lights at the bottom of the laptop. There was no indication before I bought it that they could not be disabled and I didn't even think to google that. It's common sense that you should be able to turn them off. Did anyone else think to research that before they bought it?

In two weeks I will be living in a 4 person room preparing to deploy where there is little to no privacy and these red lights will light up the room like Christmas. They're way too bright.

Besides smashing them apart, how can I get them to turn off?

mbrouillette
12-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, how quiet is the Zephyrus? Im seeing review with dbs as low as 40, others 66+..
I just returned a Razer Blade Pro 1060 because it was just awful, and ranked pretty similar to the gx501 on notebookcheck..
i currently own a G751JH, but the videocard is dying and need a replacement, gx501 is my next option with a GS73VR (yes, im aware the Zephyrus is only 15").

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mario64
12-31-2017, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, how quiet is the Zephyrus? Im seeing review with dbs as low as 40, others 66+..
I just returned a Razer Blade Pro 1060 because it was just awful, and ranked pretty similar to the gx501 on notebookcheck..
i currently own a G751JH, but the videocard is dying and need a replacement, gx501 is my next option with a GS73VR (yes, im aware the Zephyrus is only 15").

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!Under load I am seeing around 45-46db. Blade gets up to 52-55db under load. Also, Zephyrus fans do not whine like the Blade *

mbrouillette
12-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Under load I am seeing around 45-46db. Blade gets up to 52-55db under load. Also, Zephyrus fans do not whine like the Blade *

Did you get to try the Whisper mode? Any idea how much it helps?
Main reason is, Ill just my laptop mainly on the couch, besides my girlfriend who is reading/watching tv, and I think the G73/G751 has an acceptable noise level. I could go a bit over, but nowhere like the Blade Pro seemingly is..

45db of "wind noise" > 45db of fan spinning.

Otherwise, i might have to checkout the GL702 or GS73VR 7RG

sirvink
01-12-2018, 05:53 AM
Did you get to try the Whisper mode? Any idea how much it helps?
Main reason is, Ill just my laptop mainly on the couch, besides my girlfriend who is reading/watching tv, and I think the G73/G751 has an acceptable noise level. I could go a bit over, but nowhere like the Blade Pro seemingly is..

45db of "wind noise" > 45db of fan spinning.

Otherwise, i might have to checkout the GL702 or GS73VR 7RG

WHisper mode is an Nvidia setting that is only specific to certain game profiles that they preset, from what I recall. It did nothing for me. Best way to run a laptop/pc quietly is to create a custom power setting in Windows. Right click your battery icon in the system tray, choose power options, "create a power plan" (I call mine "quiet gaming") they when you go to change that plan's settings, you can do "advanced power settings" and in there, you have a lot of customization, like how much CPU you want to allow it to use, passive cooling, etc. It can put a bit of a performance hit on your machine, but so many games don't need to have full power. I laptop in bed, next to my wife, while she sleeps and mine doesn't bother her at all.

I also put electrical tape on the underside red accent lights, so that doesn't disturb her either.

nday76
01-15-2018, 12:49 PM
Just received Asus GX501VSK with 1TB M.2 SATA SSD.

CPU and GPU are re-pasted with Gelid GC Extreme and CPU is undervolted by 0.130V with XTU.
Playing PUBG on ultra setting gives me CPU 74C and GPU 64C.
Fan noise goes up to 40db and It is very quiet compare to G752(48db) and GL702(55db) during load.

jorgeselemhaddad
01-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Dear Asus and Xotic PC,

My name and Jorge Haddad and on November 29, 2017 I have made the purchase of the product GX501 (VI) notebook gaming that costs the value of 3,000US. It was made through the Xotic PC that customizes notebook computers and are very respected in the market (I did intense research) with 24 Gb Ram and the exchange of SSD for 1TB.

Unfortunately, after 15 days the computer started to display black screen at start up, with the HDMI cable through the TV being the only way to communicate and save my data. The computer does not enter the BIOS and I made a new installation for windows 10 without success to rule out drivers.
But the big problem is below.

1) I had to spend more than 10 hours talking to Asus agents to try to send my product with customizations allowed by the companies and not to be discarded. Ironic a company that by market stimulates the customization does not accept different parts when you send to repair the problem.

2) I ordered my product to be delivered the next day, which would be January 4, when FedEx took it to the agency in Texas, someone said to take it the next day because it was still closed. I had to stay on the phone for countless hours to DISCOVER what had happened and ask to take it on the same day (detail that FedEx is an Asus partner)

3) The product arrived in the department on the same day after numerous attachments, but the product only began to be repaired according to the Asus agent on 01/08 (Monday).

4) I called today 1/15/2018 a week after the repair and the agent brings me a lot of bad news. First the repair only started on day 11 and they did not find the problem and if is necessary they will have replaced with a refurbished computer.

I bought a 3,000 US laptop believing Asus to be the best brand and this is the most frustrating experience of my life. I look forward to a quick solution to this problem. You sold me a unit with a problem.

My patience has unfortunately ended and from now on, if there isnt a quick solution I will take different measures.

OnePiece@ASUS
01-18-2018, 06:38 AM
Dear Asus and Xotic PC,

My name and Jorge Haddad and on November 29, 2017 I have made the purchase of the product GX501 (VI) notebook gaming that costs the value of 3,000US. It was made through the Xotic PC that customizes notebook computers and are very respected in the market (I did intense research) with 24 Gb Ram and the exchange of SSD for 1TB.

Unfortunately, after 15 days the computer started to display black screen at start up, with the HDMI cable through the TV being the only way to communicate and save my data. The computer does not enter the BIOS and I made a new installation for windows 10 without success to rule out drivers.
But the big problem is below.

1) I had to spend more than 10 hours talking to Asus agents to try to send my product with customizations allowed by the companies and not to be discarded. Ironic a company that by market stimulates the customization does not accept different parts when you send to repair the problem.

2) I ordered my product to be delivered the next day, which would be January 4, when FedEx took it to the agency in Texas, someone said to take it the next day because it was still closed. I had to stay on the phone for countless hours to DISCOVER what had happened and ask to take it on the same day (detail that FedEx is an Asus partner)

3) The product arrived in the department on the same day after numerous attachments, but the product only began to be repaired according to the Asus agent on 01/08 (Monday).

4) I called today 1/15/2018 a week after the repair and the agent brings me a lot of bad news. First the repair only started on day 11 and they did not find the problem and if is necessary they will have replaced with a refurbished computer.

I bought a 3,000 US laptop believing Asus to be the best brand and this is the most frustrating experience of my life. I look forward to a quick solution to this problem. You sold me a unit with a problem.

My patience has unfortunately ended and from now on, if there isnt a quick solution I will take different measures.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused, please provide to me your RMA# and I'll have this rectified for you as soon as possible. Sorry for the trouble.

DJRiful
01-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Just received Asus GX501VSK with 1TB M.2 SATA SSD.

CPU and GPU are re-pasted with Gelid GC Extreme and CPU is undervolted by 0.130V with XTU.
Playing PUBG on ultra setting gives me CPU 69~74C and GPU 64C.
Playing Overwatch, GTAV, and Skyrim(modded) on ultra setting gives me CPU ~68C.
Fan noise goes up to 40db and It is very quiet compare to G752(48db) and GL702(55db) during load.

I would love to do this as well, I've done that many time with old laptops. Built my own rig. Due to the nature with ASUS warranty, I am not risking it. I know EVGA would still honor the warranty on GPU when I swap them all into custom watercooling.

ASUS... come on.

Jeslijar
01-21-2018, 08:58 PM

I experienced this black screen thing. Putting the system to sleep and powering it back on allowed the internal display to function.

I don't know what caused it really. I honestly do believe it was driver related...

That being said, if you did that and it didn't work maybe your GPU was faulty, but the black screen on power up + external monitors working was something I experienced first hand before returning the system.

jorgeselemhaddad
01-22-2018, 03:05 AM
I experienced this black screen thing. Putting the system to sleep and powering it back on allowed the internal display to function.

I don't know what caused it really. I honestly do believe it was driver related...

That being said, if you did that and it didn't work maybe your GPU was faulty, but the black screen on power up + external monitors working was something I experienced first hand before returning the system.

Thank you for that information.

DO you believe i have sent to Asus and they say 7 to 10 business days AND THEY COULDN'T REPAIR, said they couldn't find the problem.

I have asked to return to me without the repair for the estimated time. i will change in the for a new one in the store.

jorgeselemhaddad
01-22-2018, 03:10 AM
I apologize for the inconvenience caused, please provide to me your RMA# and I'll have this rectified for you as soon as possible. Sorry for the trouble.

I have send more than 12 emails, spoke literally with more than 25 agents and 4 supervisors and after 10 business days, no FEEDBACK and NO REPAIR in the estimated time.

And Asus call themselves a serious company?

I am sorry, but how should i fell about everything?

IT WAS MY WORST MISTAKE BUYING THIS NOTEBOOK...

ASUS COULD NOT REPAIR ONE OF THEIR OWN NOTEBOOKS.

THE COMPANY HAS NO RESPECT FOR THE COSTUMER

nday76
01-22-2018, 09:03 AM

Black screen on boot is not a symptom specific to GX501 either.
G752 and GL702 I used to own had the same symptom.
Had to restart or put to sleep.
It happened once or twice a month so I didn't bother.

I don't know what Asus will say about this issue.

OnePiece@ASUS
01-25-2018, 06:21 AM
I have send more than 12 emails, spoke literally with more than 25 agents and 4 supervisors and after 10 business days, no FEEDBACK and NO REPAIR in the estimated time...

Sorry, we may still need your RMA# to process further confirmation. Sorry for the trouble.

Spoonablehippo
02-26-2018, 03:01 PM
So, I'm about to buy the GX501, but it seems there are alot of problems! :-(

Has there been any updates on the speaker issue and the screen problems?

thejebronie
03-01-2018, 06:32 AM
i have been a zephyrus owner for few mount and complaint about issue it have but , i still would like to say that it is the best gaming laptop for it's form factor that there is out there
so yes i would recommend buying it cheers

QueueCumber
03-15-2018, 06:23 AM
So, I'm about to buy the GX501, but it seems there are alot of problems! :-(

Has there been any updates on the speaker issue and the screen problems?

Just picked mine up today at the Microsoft store. I figure if I have any crazy issues over the next month. I can always return it. I picked up a Microsoft Surface 2 15" as well. I guess if I have crazy issues on the Asus, I'll just cut my losses and use the Surface 2 for everything and wait for the next generation of Nvidia laptops.

I have to say. I absolutely love the GX501 so far. The design is beautiful overall. Sleek and very cool looking design. And it fits in my small streamlined Tumi carbon fiber backpack that tandems on my matching Tumi international size suitcase when I travel (the first time I laptop with these kinds of specs has fit in this thing!). Yay! I can game on the go again with decent hardware. Bye bye 15" Macbook Pro (Now my GF's laptop... lol)!

I seem to have gotten lucky so far with the screen. The screen is ink black with no backlight issues, and so far not a single dead pixel. If I don't get any other significant problems over the next few weeks, I'm going to feel like I won the lottery!

1) As someone else mentioned, it's a fingerprint magnet, no matter how clean your hands are it picks up prints. I think the key here is to just touch it everywhere all over until it has a uniform mottled appearance (fingerprint camo).

2) I noticed the speaker issue at initial startup. Cortina started out with her voice being fine, but then towards the end she picked up a static/metallic sibilance in the right speaker that went away after the first update reboot. I haven't heard it since that reboot and have been playing mostly the newest Wolfenstein and some Subnautica and Final Fantasy XV. If this issue is intermittent it isn't a deal breaker for me, because I'll be using my Kaiser Encore 10 custom in-ear monitors with the system a lot. The sound is actually pretty decent, but the fans do get loud when playing the above games cranked up to their highest settings (another good reason for using the custom in-ear monitors, as they block out almost all outside noise completely).

I'll update if I have any further issues. Hopefully I got lucky! But, if not, that's the advantage of buying locally at a Microsoft storefront...

ROG_HARDCORE
03-15-2018, 10:22 AM
My Zephyrus was perfect until The battery become balloon..seriously inflated. Guys, If you notice slight bump up from the keyboard, immediately remove the battery or Send to RMA. The damaged battery IS HAZARDOUS and may cause fires! no joke. At the same time it will damage the keyboard first. After the explosion or fire hazard, your 2699$ usd will go to waste.

Notices:
After Reverse engineering, the battery have build in Thermal sensor as well as overcharging protection. So what causes the fault? First, The NVME SSD head spread across the battery when heavy usage, such as Gaming and massive read and write. The battery experience 50C of temperature, on its surrounding. Since the NVME use casing as heat spreader , the heat will eventually transfer to the battery. Second, The battery Quality is poor.

The battery is made up of four 2.9mm thick, 70mm long and 70 mm width [ ATL 387175 ] 12.16Wh , 3.85V, 4.2V full charge Li-ion ion battery. Same battery manufacturer for Galaxy Note 7.Again, NO JOKE.

At the point i'm typing this, All the zephyrus GX501 should be illegal to be onboard the aircraft. We noticed that the battery inflation are not caused by pressures or over-current / voltage. The temperature threshold are so low that even 45C is already considered dangerous! As a conclusion, the battery are not stable!

@Asus please be aware and we demand actions to be taken prior to our safety.

QueueCumber
03-15-2018, 05:43 PM
My Zephyrus was perfect until The battery become balloon..seriously inflated. Guys, If you notice slight bump up from the keyboard, immediately remove the battery or Send to RMA. The damaged battery IS HAZARDOUS and may cause fires! no joke. At the same time it will damage the keyboard first. After the explosion or fire hazard, your 2699$ usd will go to waste.

Notices:
After Reverse engineering, the battery have build in Thermal sensor as well as overcharging protection. So what causes the fault? First, The NVME SSD head spread across the battery when heavy usage, such as Gaming and massive read and write. The battery experience 50C of temperature, on its surrounding. Since the NVME use casing as heat spreader , the heat will eventually transfer to the battery. Second, The battery Quality is poor.

The battery is made up of four 2.9mm thick, 70mm long and 70 mm width [ ATL 387175 ] 12.16Wh , 3.85V, 4.2V full charge Li-ion ion battery. Same battery manufacturer for Galaxy Note 7.Again, NO JOKE.

At the point i'm typing this, All the zephyrus GX501 should be illegal to be onboard the aircraft. We noticed that the battery inflation are not caused by pressures or over-current / voltage. The temperature threshold are so low that even 45C is already considered dangerous! As a conclusion, the battery are not stable!

@Asus please be aware and we demand actions to be taken prior to our safety.

I'm sort of screwed either way between the gx501 and surface 2. My battery could swell on the gx501 or it could run out even when plugged in with the surface 2.... 😢

QueueCumber
03-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Last night, I closed the laptop while still running and went to bed. This morning, the laptop didn't wake from sleep when I jiggled the mouse and pressed buttons. I pushed the power button and the ROG logo came up like a normal boot, and then the screen went blank (as normal), but bootup did not go any further. I pushed the power button again and the laptop turned off, and then I pushed the power button again and it started normally.

marlone
04-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Hello, just purchased my GX501 and I seem to notice that the fans spin loudly and don't quiet down even while idle.
I've checked my processes and don't see anything running out of the ordinary.
Has anyone experience this?

Also the ROG Gaming Center (one found in GX501VSK drivers) shows the core clock as 0 and does not change.

Please advise. Thanks!

mhe
05-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Hello, just purchased my GX501 and I seem to notice that the fans spin loudly and don't quiet down even while idle.
I've checked my processes and don't see anything running out of the ordinary.
Has anyone experience this?

Also the ROG Gaming Center (one found in GX501VSK drivers) shows the core clock as 0 and does not change.

Please advise. Thanks!

I did. Approx 2 months after I got mine, the left fan started to be annoyingly noisy. Since I need a notebook for work and am on the road for prolonged periods of time I can't RMA it conventionally as Asus tends to take their bloody time with any kind of RMA.

Video of mine making noise at various rpm: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w9nr8t0ddxgha4/20180512_181324.mp4?dl=0

Vincent Hunter
05-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Yea, the first one I purchased the screen only lasted for a about 10 seconds before going completely black, 2nd one lasted a bit better, screen sometimes works, but nearly all the time goes black and had to reformat the computer without the screen working, lol.

Our first ROG Zephyrus had the black screen boot issue a couple days into using it, so we returned it. *We bought a second laptop and it suffered the same issue after a couple days, black screen at boot. *You could connect each to an external monitor, so my opinion is this is a design issue with the video card wiring to the screen.

ROG_HARDCORE
05-23-2018, 12:37 AM
they dont care. Thanks for 2699$ and please pay us again because there is another new ZEPHYRUS series. So we can screw you again and again.

1. Black screen issues, disconnect cmos battery for 30 second with main battery also disconnected. Connect back everything and clean install the windows with stock bios setting.

2. Fan noise issues, clean the fan and apply lubrication to rotors. The fan can be easily disassembled. Handle with care because sensitive parts here.

Regular service required for ZEPHYRUS, with estimated 1 to 2 times a month to ensure the system stable. The Fan spinning 24/7, the temperature 90C+- .

This laptop wont last. Maybe top 2 years for gamers then it will break.

ton211
06-03-2018, 09:53 PM
I just bought the GX501VIK. It seems to be great and is really fast in games.

Only:
1. the ROG logo on the cover doesn't light up on my GX501VIK
How do you get this burning? Is there somewhere a setting?

2. I read that some people put new CPU cooling paste. I know how to put new CPU cooling paste on my desktop pc, but is this laptop easily to disable?

For the sound problem: I also had the crispy sound on the high tones. Have update the drivers and bios now and it is fixed.

Aegisliger
07-12-2018, 05:41 PM
I bought a brand new GM501GS-XS74 and the start menu will not open at all, and my Rog Spatha Mouse isn't responding to the Amory software sensitivity changes. The Armory software often crashes or has issues with your Aura Core software as well with the Core software Locking the Amory's access of the mouse because the Core software is managing the lighting, and even seems to act weird even when I turn off the "lighting sync" for the mouse and the Core software.

waltercool
07-15-2018, 01:43 AM
I bought a brand new GM501GS-XS74 and the start menu will not open at all, and my Rog Spatha Mouse isn't responding to the Amory software sensitivity changes. The Armory software often crashes or has issues with your Aura Core software as well with the Core software Locking the Amory's access of the mouse because the Core software is managing the lighting, and even seems to act weird even when I turn off the "lighting sync" for the mouse and the Core software.

This is a GX501 thread, not GM501.

I think both are quite different.

nainghtetsoeyi
08-01-2018, 02:36 AM
This is a GX501 thread, not GM501.

I think both are quite different.

Here are my issue with GX501

1. I only get 100Hz refresh rate via HDMI out @ 1440p with external monitor capable of 1440p resolution @ 144Hz (Samsung CFG70 32").

2. Must use throttlestop to disable BD PROCHOT and turbo boost as well as CPU undervolt (-130) in order to play long term gaming hours (CPU temp
stable @ 82C )

Without throttlestop my system not stable at all .If I don't use throttlestop issue raise such as system under perform and system hanged.

Rather than above I don't have any other issue and happy with it. However may I request for RMA since I hate to use utility or tools in order to stable my system.

Kindly advise .

nainghtetsoeyi
08-01-2018, 02:50 AM
I just bought the GX501VIK. It seems to be great and is really fast in games.

Only:
1. the ROG logo on the cover doesn't light up on my GX501VIK
How do you get this burning? Is there somewhere a setting?

2. I read that some people put new CPU cooling paste. I know how to put new CPU cooling paste on my desktop pc, but is this laptop easily to disable?

For the sound problem: I also had the crispy sound on the high tones. Have update the drivers and bios now and it is fixed.

Hi Ton ,

You need to install ROG GameVisual (Under utilities) and ATK Package (under chipset) to light up ROG logo . Mine got light up after installing those. But logo light is very dim though.

Exception.E
01-17-2019, 03:43 AM
I was surprised that there was no thread for this laptop.

So here is one.

Any lucky buyers?

Is the keyboard as bad as shown in reviews (especially if used in lap)?

Can numpad section be converted to arrows, home/end, pgup/pgdn keys?

Is noise emission really lower then in 15" Asus laptops with GTX 1060?

Is battery as bad as shown in some reviews?

Anybody confirmed CPU/GPU downclock if using with closed lid and extranal monitor?

Hello. Me, 33 years old, pc gaming /building since 1999.
just got this computer, here is my feedback to you !

Keyboard is not bad. But the touch pad has some sort of glitch or defect, that it will start skipping frequently.
I just tried as we speak to convert the numpad section to arrows, seems like the answer is not, but please correct me if I am wrong. I also dont see a scroll lock button, but maybe i might be going blind.

Noise emission is normal... Always keep your fan in overboost, because the reviews show many many many people having blown GPU problems. It does run pretty damn hot, and the cpu and gpu share the same heat sinks / pipes.

Battery life isnt great, but this is a slim gaming pc, nothing we can do about that.

I would not operate this pc with the lid closed. There is some air intake on the top, you don't want this hot running pc runing with air flow starvation, specially if gaming. Maybe at least leave it partially open.

****Additional notes.
Speakers are trash. You are better off disconnecting them, or removing them completely. OR, adapting another laptop's speaker in this. The speakers are truly trash, and they are distorted over 40%. Horrible worse speakers I have ever seen in my entire life. Worse then the speaker in your car's cluster panel that beeps when your seatbelt is inactive... IM SERIOUS.

Also... If you want this slim pc, but you dont want to fry it like many people have been frying, there are 2 things you must do.
1: Repaste the gpu and cpu with liquid metal. This is not optional if you want this thing to survive.
2: Download an app called throttle stop, and undervolt your CPU.

... I know I know, who wants to deal with this crap? ... But if you really want a beautiful slim machine of this caliber, you need to do the work arrounds or you will deeply regret in a few months...

OHHHHH !!! I almost forgot... You know the bottom plastic, how it moves away from the body when you open the lid? .. LOL it's junk. It will break / crack/ distort in no time if you use this on your lap... Unless you carefully alight the 2 pushing rollers one on each leg every time... But if you like to cross your legs sometimes to get blood flow etc, if you move too much and stuff... I can't see it lasting too long...

I want to return mine I just got it yesterday... Should have done my research... as soon as I heard the trash speaker distortion at 40% volume, I started doing research and I learned all the flawss.... A bit too late but I like it so, I will do the liquid metal soon... OMG this thing works beautiful with throttle stop !

Best Regards, and sorry for the spellings and ponctuation.

Matapombos
01-25-2019, 08:39 PM
recently acquired a zephyrus gx501gl and once drivers are updated i can play but when i switch laptop off frequecency gets stuck on 810Mhz and cant play anything
after reseting laptop it works but freq stuck on max what should i do? return it?

DJRiful
01-30-2019, 03:15 AM
Tools for everyone and a must almost:

1. ThrottleStop (reduce heat by undervolt without performance compromise)
2. ASUS Battery Health Charging (set 60% if you plug on AC all day, avoid swollen battery after 1 year)

GX501 is running perfectly fine and power through any games without much problems. Above applications are must for me to keep thing in control; gaming without throttle back due to heat + repaste the CPU and GPU thermal paste. (warning void warranty). I work in IT so none issue for me, recently replaced the battery as well (worn and swollen battery before I knew about ASUS battery health app).

Matapombos
02-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Tools for everyone and a must almost:

1. ThrottleStop (reduce heat by undervolt without performance compromise)
2. ASUS Battery Health Charging (set 60% if you plug on AC all day, avoid swollen battery after 1 year)

GX501 is running perfectly fine and power through any games without much problems. Above applications are must for me to keep thing in control; gaming without throttle back due to heat + repaste the CPU and GPU thermal paste. (warning void warranty). I work in IT so none issue for me, recently replaced the battery as well (worn and swollen battery before I knew about ASUS battery health app).

Throtle stop wasnt working on my laptop could do -400 and still be fine I used intel extreme tunning managed to get temps of 45 and max of 85
Had no idea about the battery issue just instaled and followed your advice.

do you play batlefield V? I can only achieve 100 fps on medium am I doing something wrong?

Been away from tech for far too long, my knowledge became obsolete xD

Rene_G_
03-14-2019, 12:30 AM
Does anyone know if the GX501 can be charged via USB-C? Say for instance I picked up a generic docking station. As our power supplies are rated at 230 watts, I doubt that a generic docking station has that output, but will it just charge at a slower rate?

Thanks in advance!