PDA

View Full Version : .. I bought a G752VS :x <3

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 01:31 PM
.. I just ordered a G750VS. ;x Wish me luck.. ;d <3

Any tips upon receiving it would be nice.

Especially things I should know if I want to wipe it and reinstall my own copy of Windows.

mkz168
07-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Wipe it, and have a clean windows will take the tethering problem away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 02:32 PM
.. Tethering? :f

Also, how do I reinstall Windows 8.1 onto it?

If there's a Raid 0 setup, will the controller know it's Raid 0 from the installation menu? If not, how can I turn it on?

haihane
07-22-2017, 03:00 PM
weigh your options and decide if reinstalling is worth your effort(s).

when i received my aero 15, it was through a local shop vendor (i ordered it through the shop). and even before that, i requested that he did not open the box until i arrived. the laptop arrived, the sticker intact, we opened it on spot at the shop, did a visual check, and the first thing i complained was the bloatwares. Granted, this is a gigabyte laptop and their gigabyte bloatware(s, i didn't choose to reinstall everything during the first 2 days.

when something is even slightly bit off, i would choose a reinstall to appease my own sense of safety and privacy. if your laptop behaves just exactly like the way you want it, then there's no need to reinstall and just remove any bloatwares you think not-necessary.

P.S.: and as always, if you choose to do a full reinstall: do a full backup to an external drive, just in case you screw up.

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 04:05 PM
weigh your options and decide if reinstalling is worth your effort(s).

when i received my aero 15, it was through a local shop vendor (i ordered it through the shop). and even before that, i requested that he did not open the box until i arrived. the laptop arrived, the sticker intact, we opened it on spot at the shop, did a visual check, and the first thing i complained was the bloatwares. Granted, this is a gigabyte laptop and their gigabyte bloatware(s, i didn't choose to reinstall everything during the first 2 days.

when something is even slightly bit off, i would choose a reinstall to appease my own sense of safety and privacy. if your laptop behaves just exactly like the way you want it, then there's no need to reinstall and just remove any bloatwares you think not-necessary.

P.S.: and as always, if you choose to do a full reinstall: do a full backup to an external drive, just in case you screw up.

Noop, definitely wiping. >xp I never take factory images.. they always have garbage on it. Especially that recovery partition.

If I ever run into any booting errors, I just rip everything off the drive with Linux or just take the drive out, use it as a USB and copy it over, then simply reinstall. I'm a fanatic for young operating systems, I almost format every 6 months. ( I DO however use a 16gb stick to keep a copy of Asus Backtrack.. JUST in case I want to sell or return the unit. )

My G750JX has been repasted 6 times. 3 times to learn to do it properly, then once every year for the scorching 46*C summers. Reinstalled Windows every 6 months because I like to toy with things and eventually things start to break and function wrongly. That and garbage accumulates in the system folders.

Every time I format, I get back like.. 50-100gigs worth of space when I bring back all my gear, excluding all the system folders. ;d

Anyhow, what should I expect when it comes to formatting / reinstalling OS? How do I ensure the NVMe function in Striped?

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Come on guys, someone spill the beans. >xp

If I have two NVMe slots, how do I ensure they're striped BEFORE installing an OS?

Might need a new thread, my title is so misleading.. ;c

toronto699
07-22-2017, 06:21 PM
I would not do a Clean install of the OS nor would I put W8.1 on your new G752 , There are many posts of issues with new G752 laptops that have a clean install , do as haihne said do a full backup to an external drive. Make sure u copy the esupport folder. And as Clintlgm said in another thread , Windows 10 is quite useable with Classic Shell. My G752 works great with the original OS and No Isuues

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 06:47 PM
I would not do a Clean install of the OS nor would I put W8.1 on your new G752 , There are many posts of issues with new G752 laptops that have a clean install , do as haihne said do a full backup to an external drive. Make sure u copy the esupport folder. And as Clintlgm said in another thread , Windows 10 is quite useable with Classic Shell. My G752 works great with the original OS and No Isuues

Well, what issues would they be? ;x

Everyone's withholding information. ;U Come on load me up on everything I need to know!

haihane
07-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Come on guys, someone spill the beans. >xp

If I have two NVMe slots, how do I ensure they're striped BEFORE installing an OS?

Might need a new thread, my title is so misleading.. ;c

i don't know, i don't own a RAID 0-ed laptop.
but if you're buying the laptop with RAID0 already setup, then all you need to make sure is to not break the RAID array. and shortly after typing this i went and googled this one out for you : Linus' Intel RAID setup on desktop. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ZmK78cbQM)

it should be similar enough on a laptop.

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 07:08 PM
i don't know, i don't own a RAID 0-ed laptop.
but if you're buying the laptop with RAID0 already setup, then all you need to make sure is to not break the RAID array. and shortly after typing this i went and googled this one out for you : Linus' Intel RAID setup on desktop. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ZmK78cbQM)

it should be similar enough on a laptop.

Yeah I saw that, I also saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1md2eUqKrKo

And what confused me is he changes it to Legacy and not UEFI.

I ASSUME we use UEFI however, since we want GPT.

haihane
07-22-2017, 07:18 PM
And what confused me is he changes it to Legacy and not UEFI.

I ASSUME we use UEFI however, since we want GPT.
he had to do that because RAID setup (keycombination) won't show up otherwise. the same thing happens with my AMD raid setup at first.

long story short: you want to setup your RAID in legacy bios mode, define type, sector size, save and exit. (RAID setup done)
quickly go back to bios by hitting del, change from legacy to UEFI (or disable CSM), double check everything, plug in your Windows Setup USB, save and exit again.
on this restart, use the boot override to load setup from USB to install your windows.

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Hmm.. this actually is sounding more difficult than it's worth. :c

I hope I don't get stuck when I want to mess around.

Also another question.. is the latest BIOS for G752VS stable?

I was too scared to update my BIOS on my G750JX from too many horror stories on the forums.

haihane
07-22-2017, 07:40 PM
i went and googled your laptop specs to find out more about RAID0 support:
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G752VS/specifications/

Solid State Drives:
256GB/512GB PCIE Gen3X4 SSD (RAID0)
this should mean they already setup the RAID arrays for you. under normal conditions, you shouldn't need to ever touch RAID setup.

and in case you decide to mess around one day... it looks daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not really that scary anymore. i started experimenting with RAID arrays, and it was scary AF at first.
by the first week i was breaking and rebuilding them for kicks and lols (to see what would happen).
by the third month i pretty much left them alone. got bored playing with them.

haihane
07-22-2017, 07:40 PM
oops. forgot the other question.

i don't know about the bios. someone else will answer that one.

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 07:59 PM
i went and googled your laptop specs to find out more about RAID0 support:
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G752VS/specifications/

Solid State Drives:
256GB/512GB PCIE Gen3X4 SSD (RAID0)
this should mean they already setup the RAID arrays for you. under normal conditions, you shouldn't need to ever touch RAID setup.

and in case you decide to mess around one day... it looks daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not really that scary anymore. i started experimenting with RAID arrays, and it was scary AF at first.
by the first week i was breaking and rebuilding them for kicks and lols (to see what would happen).
by the third month i pretty much left them alone. got bored playing with them.

OH.. So I can wipe and install a new OS, and it'll already be showing my RAID 0 as an available drive to install to?

Also I forgot to mention I've NEVER used Raid before..

I wonder if anyone's repasted this thing, too.. I think the Heat Sinks are one thing.

haihane
07-22-2017, 08:09 PM
OH.. So I can wipe and install a new OS, and it'll already be showing my RAID 0 as an available drive to install to?
it should.
only one way to truly find out. when your laptop arrives, open up task manager, go to performance tab -> Drive C -> mine says -> AMD SCSI blahblah <followed by Drive model>.
or: hit up del, check boot priority. it should say : [Windows boot manager: <Raid array name here>]. or even easier, sata mode has to be [RAID]
it's fine to check bios, you ain't changing anythin.
these from the top of my head, telltale signs of a raid setup.

Also I forgot to mention I've NEVER used Raid before..
i didn't think about my motherboard's raid functionality at all until my harddrive died on me. then i went all out RAID 1 like nuts.
but these were HDDs. i recently broke my RAID arrays in favor of AHCI SSD. since SSDs are much more faster and reliable, i don't see the need to run raid anymore, at least not for now.

Clintlgm
07-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Blue lady, your notebook should come using raid drivers for NVMe, if you clean install be sure to have IRST drivers ready to install during the install. As you begin the install you wouldn't be able to see your SSD at that time you install the RST driver then you see your SSD and be able to select it to install your OS on. I don't expect 8.1 to install much different that 10 would. You might want to go though gps3dx sticky on the correct way to install UEFI (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation))I think he addresses loading the RST drivers during install in the G752 section.
one other thing I sure you know this but back up the eSupport folder, all the stock drivers and software are there. Some are not available to download from Asus Download sites. So save that folder before you Clean Install.

Clintlgm
07-22-2017, 08:58 PM
You have two slots but do you have 2 SSD in them? not sure how the VX models go but the VY were single SSD except the highest end model with 64GB RAM?? Yours has 32 gB suspect you'll have a single 256gb SSD

Clintlgm
07-22-2017, 09:02 PM
The G752 don't seem to have the issues with BIOS upgrades I have upgraded mine twice without any issues, both times from within the BIOS and I did not reset to default either before or after either time.

Clintlgm
07-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Again, check out Dreamonic post here wrote quite a bit about the G752VY and repasting also reported an issue with the alignments of the heat sinks and the CPU and GPU. more research for you.

Clintlgm
07-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Hey if do have two SSD they will already be in RAID 0 mode 2 128GB = 256gb, I would hit up Justinthyme he has two 500GB In RAID 0 has a thread on how he did it. More research sorry I'm with the others RAID is not really pertinent with these new SSD's

Darnassus
07-22-2017, 11:41 PM
Blue lady, your notebook should come using raid drivers for NVMe, if you clean install be sure to have IRST drivers ready to install during the install. As you begin the install you wouldn't be able to see your SSD at that time you install the RST driver then you see your SSD and be able to select it to install your OS on. I don't expect 8.1 to install much different that 10 would. You might want to go though gps3dx sticky on the correct way to install UEFI (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation))I think he addresses loading the RST drivers during install in the G752 section.
one other thing I sure you know this but back up the eSupport folder, all the stock drivers and software are there. Some are not available to download from Asus Download sites. So save that folder before you Clean Install.

I saw the post before and just don't get it.. it's all over the joint and hoped for a simple step.

I'll keep going over it but to me it doesn't make sense.

Darnassus
07-23-2017, 05:36 AM
I'd really like someone to explain the second post here, about 'Tethering'.. :f

Eleiyas
07-23-2017, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't recommend fiddling about much with the OS or the RAID settings. Most of the ASUS gaming units are already set to RAID in the BIOS.

As for fiddling about with the OS, I have seen a lot of units where the customer has tried to do something to the OS and the unit ends up with us repair guys with an endless ''boot device not found'' BSOD.

Be sure to have all the correct drivers ready to install if you are going to attempt it, and as was suggested, do a full backup beforehand.

Darnassus
07-23-2017, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't recommend fiddling about much with the OS or the RAID settings. Most of the ASUS gaming units are already set to RAID in the BIOS.

As for fiddling about with the OS, I have seen a lot of units where the customer has tried to do something to the OS and the unit ends up with us repair guys with an endless ''boot device not found'' BSOD.

Be sure to have all the correct drivers ready to install if you are going to attempt it, and as was suggested, do a full backup beforehand.

What in the world could they be doing to warrant the 'Boot Device not Found' error? Other than the possibility their RAID Array gets unhitched from the boot menu and the computer keeps trying to boot from the data drive? (7200RPM mechanical or whatever's next to it)

Clintlgm
07-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Yes what they are not doing is loading the RST driver at the time of install. Its everywhere on here but a lot of people never find this forum so get lost. In the last couple of years everything we all knew has changed. UEFI/GPT has been implement since 2012 still have people trying to install BIOS/MBR and having all kids of issue. Now with the introduction of the G752 M.2 PCIe NVMe has been implemented Asus has made the decision to implement it running IRST RAID Drivers, So if you try to do a clean install you have to load the RST Driver "F6 load driver" in the past. If you don't have the drivers handy on the same USB you are installing from your not going to see your M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD it just won't be available until you load the RST driver then it becomes available as a partition to install windows on. Sorry I'm not much of an explainer of things hope this helps you to understand better.

Gps3dx has the best explanation of how to install correctly UEFI, he also addresses how to install the RST Driver in the G752 section. He has spent a lot of his time and expertize to post this information for us all https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)

Darnassus
07-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Yes what they are not doing is loading the RST driver at the time of install. Its everywhere on here but a lot of people never find this forum so get lost. In the last couple of years everything we all knew has changed. UEFI/GPT has been implement since 2012 still have people trying to install BIOS/MBR and having all kids of issue. Now with the introduction of the G752 M.2 PCIe NVMe has been implemented Asus has made the decision to implement it running IRST RAID Drivers, So if you try to do a clean install you have to load the RST Driver "F6 load driver" in the past. If you don't have the drivers handy on the same USB you are installing from your not going to see your M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD it just won't be available until you load the RST driver then it becomes available as a partition to install windows on. Sorry I'm not much of an explainer of things hope this helps you to understand better.

Gps3dx has the best explanation of how to install correctly UEFI, he also addresses how to install the RST Driver in the G752 section. He has spent a lot of his time and expertize to post this information for us all https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)

Nope this told me way more.. his post contains info on like 5 different models compressed into one post so yeah I got lost too much. The most valuable info I've been looking for is how the IRST Driver works and how to install it, so I finally know you load it from BIOS and can put it on the same OS install medium (USB).

Is there a specific version of the driver that I want?

Darnassus
07-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Anyone know the layout of the drives? Is it 1x256 NVMe? Or 2x128 NVMe?

NVM found this.. might not need to fiddle with raid after-all.

Specifications
http://www.itmadness.com.au/G752VS-156-FHD-I7-32GB-1TB256G-BRR-V8G

Clintlgm
07-23-2017, 11:25 PM
I would download and use the one from Asus Support Downloads (https://www.asus.com/support), your BIOS will already be set up no changes needed. on Clean install You will install the IRST driver during the install its a windows thing not a BIOS thing at that point With out installing it you won't be able to see your SSD to select it to install window too. at that point you will install the driver. I don't remember the prompts exactly as I said GPS3DX has it all typed out for you. The procedure is the same for all the G752 and later models
I copied this from notebook review

Usually, when you try to install Windows 10 with NVME SSD drive, it won't recognize the drive through the Windows 10 setup. What you must do, is to add some drivers from RST from Intel (Rapid Storage Technology) downloaded directly from the Intel's Website.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

Extract the folder into a new folder in your Windows 10 USB install flash drive, and when you don't see a SSD drive pop up during install, click on "have driver" and direct it to the extracted folder of the RST file you downloaded from Intel's website. Then, your SSD drives will be recognized and you can do a clean install from there.

Clintlgm
07-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Yep that would be a common Spec for these notebooks. It was mostly the 500GB SSD models that people were getting screwed, by ending up with 2 x 256GB SSD's. You won't know for sure until you get your unit and open it to look and see what you got.

Darnassus
07-24-2017, 05:48 AM
At the same time, I hope it is.. and kind of pray that it isn't? ... Since I don't mind 256GB SSD, I usually stick to one-two games, and when finished I just uninstall and go to the next..

But then again more space would be nice. I either get the Raid 0 benefit from the start, or I have to shell out another $200 for a second stick of NVMe.

I've already paid $2600 dammit..

Clintlgm
07-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Well the spec you posted stated 1 SSD 256GB and 1 1tb hard drive spinner. So if you have 1 256 gb all you need to do is ad one more 256gb SSD, Should you be unlucky and end up with 2 128GB SSD then you will need 2x 256GB. RAID 0 might increase your write speed some but Read speeds are already pretty much as fast as the BUS Speed already!! See JustinThyme he has 2 500GB Samsun 950 SSD in RAID 0 and has posted actual Results before and after. He has stated he wouldn't do it again so. If you do install 2nd SSD it should be D:\ and load program there keep OS on 1st SSD or do like most 256gb is more than enough for OS and Programs. With my G75 I had moved all my library Folders to the D:\ drive to save space on my OS SSD there is no point in storing picture data files Videos etc. on your OS SSD

What I did personally with my G752VY was soon after I purchased notebook, I pulled the stock Samsung 961 SSD and put it up for future use should I have to return notebook for RMA or its a good image to start over again if needed. I put in a Samsung 500Gb 960 Pro. I did it because I could had the money at the time for it. I ran my G75VW for nearly 5 years on a 256GB SSD
My 2nd slot remains empty, some day perhaps a 2TB 960 Pro SSD will go there. Oh yea for my 2.5 SATA slot I carried over my 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro from my G75VW and put the 1 TB that came with this notebook in the G75VW as I handed it down to a family member.

Darnassus
07-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Hmm.. so Raid 0's pointless pretty much.. well at least it's a 256 stick for future use then.. ;d

I'm currently on a 256gb Liteonit LCS-256M6S

Clintlgm
07-25-2017, 12:54 AM

this is with all my crap running in the background or any special tuning just for the benchmark. this is what your going to have, quite a bit faster than our old SATA SSD's

Darnassus
07-25-2017, 07:53 AM
HEEEEEELP!!!!

... I forgot to ask, does the G752 fit in the Nomad? Oh dear GAWD if it doesn't..

Eleiyas
07-25-2017, 07:58 AM
The Nomad backpack is for up to 17" laptops

G752 typically has a 17.3" screen (which I doubt includes the bezel, and the bottomcase is slightly wider than the screen)

Might be a very tight squeeze

Nomad v2 Laptop-Fit Dimensions: 33(L) x 5.3(W) x 43(H)cm

G752 Dimensions: 42.8 x 33.3 x 2.3 ~5.1 cm (WxDxH)

Darnassus
07-25-2017, 08:02 AM
NOOOOOO!!!

G750JX = 410 x 318 x 17 ~50 mm

G752VS = 428 x 334 x 53 cm

WHY IS IT BIGGER!! >xc Dammit I'll need to get a new bag..

Well, it's only 1.5cm wider, so.. it should fit with the corners barely touching the top.. at least the lid's metal though.

Edit: Eleiyas "Fast Fingers" @ASUS, I didn't see your comment, thank you though regardless for your support. ;d

Clintlgm
07-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Not sure from my end, I use Targus on wheels and from G75VW to G752 the G752 is much bigger and barley fits in my case but it does fit in there you'll just have to see how it works out.

Darnassus
07-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Not sure from my end, I use Targus on wheels and from G75VW to G752 the G752 is much bigger and barley fits in my case but it does fit in there you'll just have to see how it works out.

.. do you have any.. SAUCE.. with that sweet information?

Darnassus
07-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Err.. does Asus BackTrack still exist..? For G752? If not, what's the successor? Or is it just copy eSupport..

Clintlgm
07-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Just copy esupport, windows 10 refresh otherwise. I use Macrium Reflect (https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree)and keep several states of SSD as I configure. I would suggest that would be the very first thing to do. Create an Image of your entire SSD and another of just the C:\ partition, if you screw up and your still booting you can quickly restore the image of your C:\ partition, if your not booting then restore your SSD Image. this is all much faster than any restore partition. I keep several images including daily incremental back ups. If you screw up its only a few minutes to restore a partition to yesterday or when ever I need to go back to. Much more reliable than MS Restore etc. Far more reliable than backtracker and much faster creating and restoring. also free

Darnassus
07-27-2017, 04:27 AM
I have her, she's all mine.. :'x <3

.. gave her a little cuddle for a while because I was so scared.. <3

Problems so far:

Sound is weird.. speakers emit a hiss after playing a sound, then 3-5 seconds after stops as if they're going to sleep. (Weird..)

Darnassus
07-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Gawd, reinstalling OS was a nightmare. This driver crap with NVMe's simply stupid.

Also Acronis didn't work, had to use your program Mr Zombie. Macrium seems pretty cool.. still prefer Acronis but some reason G752 kept thinking one of the HDD's were asleep.

Currently installing Win 8.1 will see how it goes. ;d Hopefully all the programs will install.

Mousepad died, had to use keyboard to install. ;3 USB Mouse probably works though.

Edit: Hmm, Mouse Pad Driver's becoming annoying to make work.. can only get standard. It's an ELANTech, right?

haihane
07-27-2017, 09:04 AM
When has new precious, post pics.

Laptop needs selfies too

Darnassus
07-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Anyone knowing of a driver for the touch pad? (G752VS Win 8.1)

Edit; Nvm I'll make a new thread for this one.

mkz168
07-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Make sure you got the intel's SSD driver ready on a USB stick, without it you might not see your SSD drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk