PDA

View Full Version : G752 Keys seem poor quality. Mostly Q W E

Darnassus
08-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Keys on the G752 seem to be pretty badly made, giving them a light rubbing they seem to click and grind around on something.. anyone have the same issue?

Mostly on the Q W E keys Before my E key would squeak loudly..

If you press your W key down, and move your finger up and down along the tile, does it grind?

If others reproduce this, then I guess it's a model defect, if not then I would like to try swap the unit. :c

Bahz
08-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Keys on the G752 seem to be pretty badly made, giving them a light rubbing they seem to click and grind around on something.. anyone have the same issue?

If you press your W key down, and move your finger up and down along the tile, does it grind?

If others reproduce this, then I guess it's a model defect, if not then I would like to try swap the unit. :c

It sounds more like a QC issue not actual quality issue with the physical keyboard, if it's having those issues then I would recommend contacting customer service to arrange for RMA.

Darnassus
08-01-2017, 03:37 PM
It sounds more like a QC issue not actual quality issue with the physical keyboard, if it's having those issues then I would recommend contacting customer service to arrange for RMA.

I believe it's the entire model's line sadly. It happens over every key after a little playaround.

Try it yourself.. :c

Push key down, then run finger up and down the tile, you'll feel it clicking around. It seems to sink under the frame or something..

Eleiyas
08-01-2017, 08:33 PM
I believe it's the entire model's line sadly. It happens over every key after a little playaround.

Push key down, then run finger up and down the tile, you'll feel it clicking around. It seems to sink under the frame or something..

The problem here is that when using a computer, I do not expect that most people treat or use their keyboards in such a fashion.

I certainly don't massage my keys before using them (even if they may like it :p ). I expect it's the same deal with nearly every laptop.

KRenga
08-01-2017, 09:42 PM

The keyboard quality seems excellent to me, no issues whatsoever. couldn't imagine a better keyboard really.

Did you manage to figure out the best overclocking and undervoling setting?

Bahz
08-02-2017, 02:01 AM
The keyboard quality seems excellent to me, no issues whatsoever. couldn't imagine a better keyboard really.

Did you manage to figure out the best overclocking and undervoling setting?

I tested the G752 before and the keyboard quality imo is pretty good, this is why I'm a bit surprised to see feedback like this for this keyboard. It's a notebook keyboard after all so it can never be compared to an external mechanical keyboard, however this keyboard is very responsive and I actually really like the feel of it while gaming.

Darnassus
08-02-2017, 03:34 AM
The problem here is that when using a computer, I do not expect that most people treat or use their keyboards in such a fashion.

I certainly don't massage my keys before using them (even if they may like it :p ). I expect it's the same deal with nearly every laptop.

No not massage but when holding down keys like W to move it clicks and grinds.. anyway, can't help it... the G750 didn't have this issue.

Clintlgm
08-02-2017, 03:50 AM
Mine are silent, mine dosn't have this issue! You might want to change yours out before your 30 days expires?

JustinThyme
08-02-2017, 04:56 AM

Im sorry but I don't understand the point. No issues with my G752VY maybe because I've never done what you are describing on any keyboard since I began using PCs in the 80s. If they register a keystroke when I tap the key and dont stick or repeat characters I call it good. Anything after that is preference of feel. Some prefer light others want to bang the crap out it and others like to push down then run their finger up and down.

I dont experience any squeaking at all.

Eleiyas
08-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Sounds like you might need to RMA after all, but something comes to mind:

- you have opened and dismantled your unit to repaste, right? I believe that voids warranty.

warryabel
08-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Sounds like you might need to RMA after all, but something comes to mind:

- you have opened and dismantled your unit to repaste, right? I believe that voids warranty.
that is what i have awaited...

davemon50
08-02-2017, 02:48 PM

G752VY
G752VT

I have to report the same thing the others above are reporting, no issues at all with these keyboards, and I love the keyboard action on both of these machines.

Based on the concentrated area of grinding/squeaking that you reported in your post, it sounds as if something may have gotten underneath the keys, either at the factory, retailer, or from your own use.

Darnassus
08-02-2017, 05:58 PM
I guess I'll have to find a video on it or something..

Darnassus
08-02-2017, 06:02 PM
How does RMA work anyhow? I send my unit in, they have a look, and if it's proven defective they just send me a new one? :f

Bahz
08-03-2017, 01:50 AM
How does RMA work anyhow? I send my unit in, they have a look, and if it's proven defective they just send me a new one? :f

Usually change the defective part and when that option isn't available then they provide you with a replacement.

Clintlgm
08-03-2017, 04:21 AM
I think for a couple of keys being squeaky I would think hard about RMA, since you already fixed one key you might want to have a look at these other 3 keys maybe they can be dressed up a bit to not squeak? Replacement keys (https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/g752/)can be bought for less than $10 US they come with all three parts the hinge, Silicone ball and cap. Nothing is fatal except the metal tabs from the card that hold the hinge if they break its replace the whole keyboard. This company (http://www.laptopkey.com/BrowseKeys.php/Asus#mod) too they don't list the G752 but may have them anyway cheaper price if they do an email to them would verify?

Darnassus
08-03-2017, 04:23 AM
https://youtu.be/otCNNQz3_68

Here's a video.

Half the keys along the Z line, (Z, X, C, V, B,) do not have this issue.

Darnassus
08-03-2017, 04:24 AM
I think for a couple of keys being squeaky I would think hard about RMA, since you already fixed one key you might want to have a look at these other 3 keys maybe they can be dressed up a bit to not squeak? Replacement keys (https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/g752/)can be bought for less than $10 US they come with all three parts the hinge, Silicone ball and cap. Nothing is fatal except the metal tabs from the card that hold the hinge if they break its replace the whole keyboard. This company (http://www.laptopkey.com/BrowseKeys.php/Asus#mod) too they don't list the G752 but may have them anyway cheaper price if they do an email to them would verify?

Squeak's fine, I can fix that. This is a different problem. Refer to video. https://youtu.be/otCNNQz3_68

Digimutant
08-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Mine only happened with the "K" key, just the one key before it completely broke off. Replacement keys won't always fix the issue as I have tried, leading me to think something in the keyboard assembly hasn't been QCed very well.

Clintlgm
08-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Yes the only fatal key failure is if you break off the metal tabs that hold the bottom of the hinge in place if you break one of them its over you'll have to replace the whole keyboard. There are only 3 parts to these keys. Hinge, silicone ball and Pad or cap however you want to call it. the keyboard base has metal clips that hold and lock the bottom of the hinge in place.
When I had my failed" J " key what I found was that the metal tabs were only holding the bottom of the hinge loosely. As I install the new parts I snugged up these tabs very carefully securing the hinge in correct positon and 5 years later that J key on my G75VW is still working today.

Clintlgm
08-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Well if you have 30 days with your vendor you might want to use it. I don't know how Asus Service is down there but here in the states RMA is the last thing we want to. As you can see from this thread you started the issue is not common for G752.
From your video it sounds like the metal tabs are not holding the bottom of the hinges tightly and they are snapping into place at the bottom of the stroke have you checked for this? It could be just poor assemble of the keyboard? Not that you should have to fix this yourself, maybe away to keep you from having to RMA your notebook.

Darnassus
08-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Well if you have 30 days with your vendor you might want to use it. I don't know how Asus Service is down there but here in the states RMA is the last thing we want to. As you can see from this thread you started the issue is not common for G752.
From your video it sounds like the metal tabs are not holding the bottom of the hinges tightly and they are snapping into place at the bottom of the stroke have you checked for this? It could be just poor assemble of the keyboard? Not that you should have to fix this yourself, maybe away to keep you from having to RMA your notebook.

I don't understand.. you watched the video, right? It's almost half the keys.

My big question is if anyone can copy what I'm doing, and tell me if they can reproduce the issue.

If they can do it then it's obviously with the model, not just my unit which would make RMA pointless. :c

You DO have a G752 right?

Clintlgm
08-03-2017, 04:05 PM
I do and I don't have the issue See my signature and PC Specs, I also did watch your movie. I also don't see a lot of people jumping in saying they have this issue.

Darnassus
08-03-2017, 04:08 PM
I do and I don't have the issue See my signature and PC Specs, I also did watch your movie. I also don't see a lot of people jumping in saying they have this issue.

RMA it is then, damn. :f

cl-Albert
08-03-2017, 04:28 PM
RMA it is then, damn. :f

May be too late and you may have checked already, but don't forgot to check with the store you purchased from since some may give you 7 days (or even 30 days? Really depends on the policy of the store you purchased from) to return or exchange through them rather than sending the unit to ASUS for RMA.

Anyway, just wanted to remind you to check this option too if you haven't already. Thanks.

Eleiyas
08-03-2017, 04:32 PM
If you do RMA, be warned they may refuse due to your repasting.

Also, send them the video you took to show them what the exact issue is.

Darnassus
08-03-2017, 04:33 PM
I didn't repaste. That picture was on the internet. ;U

Also thank you cl-Albert.. <3

If you do RMA, be warned they may refuse due to your repasting.

Also, send them the video you took to show them what the exact issue is.

Eleiyas, after watching the video, do you too think that this is a problem? And possibly with my unit only, not as an entire model defect?

Also it has been 7 days.. I got it err.. a week and a day ago. :c

MrRuckus
08-04-2017, 05:04 PM
It felt very unnatural to press the button like you did in the video. Is there a reason for "rocking" the key? I would think this could cause failure on most laptop keyboards due to their limited travel distance and very small clips that hold them in place. It almost seems like your keys are being depressed far enough and at an angle where they can get caught on the base? Does it do this with standard typing?

I have a G752 and also do not have this issue. But I'm not rocking my keys like that either.

Eleiyas
08-04-2017, 05:09 PM
It felt very unnatural to press the button like you did in the video. Is there a reason for "rocking" the key? I would think this could cause failure on most laptop keyboards due to their limited travel distance and very small clips that hold them in place. It almost seems like your keys are being depressed far enough and at an angle where they can get caught on the base? Does it do this with standard typing?

I have a G752 and also do not have this issue. But I'm not rocking my keys like that either.

I also asked Darnassus this question and they say that the issue occurs during normal usage as well.

Because of this, I would recommend contacting the vendor to see if an RMA cannot be arranged.

Darnassus
08-06-2017, 07:32 AM

I did what I did to showcase the issue. You want a video of me typing and let you try figure out the issue I'm having? ;x

No it's not how you use your keyboard, obviously.. it was simply to show clearly, with sound, the problem I'm having. It's not something that should be happening if I'm properly acquainted with a chiclet keyboard. It didn't do it on my G750JX I even just tested it to compare.

And yes, this issue does affect my typing, sometimes, depending on the angle the key is depressed, it clicks or grinds, and using WASD for games feels terrible.

Eleiyas
08-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Try and contact the vendor for an RMA

Darnassus
08-06-2017, 04:59 PM
I've done more investigation, there seems to be a weird nodule underneath the tile on both sides.. and the clicking sound seems to be when said nodules are slipping off of the key scissor. ( Theory )

Why these nodules exist, I've no idea.. I'll be doing more investigation.. though their presence looks uniform and thus, would be on every other keyboard it seems... though still, other users say they cannot reproduce my issue..

Eleiyas
08-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Try and contact the vendor for an RMA

Clintlgm
08-06-2017, 09:01 PM
I would watch some YouTube videos on keyboards, while there a 3 or 4 actual designs they are all pretty similar HP, Asus, Alienware etc. Keyboard are a basic IC Board with pressure sensitive modules. and hard ware connectors, these connectors connect the hinges to the board, there is a Silicon or rubber ball that sits inside the hinge. The hinge then is connected to the Cap. So the ball is what the cap pushes down to activate the sensor module on the keyboard and also acts as a rebound for the hinge and key. These three parts are intended to move straight down and back up. The connection between the bottom of the hinge and (IC board with sensors) actual Keyboard, have no provisions for any side to side or front to back movement. Forcing front to back or side to side movement is merely damaging the connection from IC Board to Hinge connection or possible damaging the IC Board by breaking the hardware connectors loose from the board. This is all clear to see in the many Videos on YouTube I search on repairing notebook keys try this one as a starting point (http://www.laptopkey.com/Guides.php/Asus/G%20Series/G751JY/AS109)

Darnassus
08-07-2017, 02:55 AM
Filed a DoA, very sad.. :c