PDA

View Full Version : How to use G551JW SSD drive as cache?

lucian_mardale
08-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Hello,

I have an ASUS ROG G551JW and i want to use the SSD drive as cache. i found this article: https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/intel-smart-response-technology-user-guide/, but i'm stuck at point 3. I can't find RAID, I have only IDE and AHCI.

Can you please tell me why?

Thank you so much!

xeromist
08-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Laptops have much more limited options than desktop motherboards, in general. There are a few laptops that feature RAID but most do not.

lucian_mardale
08-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Laptops have much more limited options than desktop motherboards, in general. There are a few laptops that feature RAID but most do not.

So why to put a SSD which is to little to install windows on it? Windows, no, cache, no, what to do? sell it? :D

Clintlgm
08-14-2017, 07:44 PM
I would search the forum, I don't have the answer for you. I do remember this being discussed. Seems some like yours came from the factory with the 1/2 size SSD MSATA I believe is what they are called?, however the ones that didn't come with and when people Clean installed there were issues. I don't remember what the answer was or if it was ever resolved

xeromist
08-14-2017, 11:08 PM
So why to put a SSD which is to little to install windows on it? Windows, no, cache, no, what to do? sell it? :D

I understand what you're saying. My Lenovo laptop came with a 16GB MSATA SSD as cache but I bought a bigger SSD and just used it as a normal drive. It has been several years now so I do not remember what setting enabled SRT. It might be a different BIOS option in a laptop.