PDA

View Full Version : ROG 751 JY not recogizing Samsumg M.2 960 PRO 2TB SSD

ButchN
08-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Hi, subject says it all.
The laptop boots to the BIOS (211) screen & does not show the new 2TB PCIE M.2 SSD drive.
It is a 3.0 x4 interface, so it should see it & work.
I tried enabling & disabling fast boot & the same with Launch CSM, still, nothing.
I plugged in my USB stick & it goes through what looks like the backtracker process copying to the hard drive, so it says, yet when it says remove USB & reboot, it comes right back to the BIOS screen.

Any ideas?

NeoBeum
08-19-2017, 05:59 AM
Hi, the BIOS doesn't naively support NVMe. Also, with Secure Boot turned on. The 960s will have a harder time getting windows to install on them from a clean install on them because ss didn't sign the 2.2 drivers properly for boot critical. The 1.4.6 drivers are, but they weren't 960 WHQL. Unless someone else knows Samsung Consumer nvme driver 2.0 and above are needed for 960s

Darnassus
08-19-2017, 10:35 AM
... is it just the BIOS that cannot see the NVMe's? You can still boot to OS, correct? :f

Clintlgm
08-19-2017, 03:31 PM
My G752VY runs fine on RST drivers no Samsung driver needed?

NeoBeum
08-20-2017, 06:35 PM
I was implying having the laptop be able to see and give the nvme drive its own menu in BIOS.
You can still get it working, its just a few tweaks.
but the seperate bios menu doesn't appear for the 751.
im testing the difference driver signing has for windows major version update and secure boot
I have a feeling this is whats causing some problems during updates

edit: ah crap.. just realised I need to get installation images for 1607 to use with 1703.. I might use 1511...

ButchN
08-21-2017, 12:06 AM
The laptop boots to the BIOS with the 960 in its slot.
When I put the boot drive in slot 2, then the laptop boots, & in disk manager sees the drive.
But I can't seem to get the this much faster & better drive to work as the boot.

And Acronis doesn't seem to want to clone to this drive.
help please!

NeoBeum
08-22-2017, 01:34 PM

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95535-Samsung-NVMe-2-2-Drivers-Not-Signed-WHQL-Required-for-Boot-Critical-Windows-10

The 960s need Samsung Driver 2.0+ to be able to operate in Recovery Environment. I deleted my version of 2.0, and only have 2.2. You might be able to use 1.4.7 (Ask one of the other guys that has a 960. I only have a 950)

ButchN
08-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks, but while am somewhat pc literate, where would this driver be installed, to the SSD that does not boot to begin with?
Would I load the SSD as teh 2nd drive, then install the driver?

As it stands, & I have win 8.1, the BIOS is what is not recognizing the new SSD.

This confuses me.

Julskey
08-23-2017, 11:47 PM
I think the G751 does not support the NVME m.2. I think you need the AHCI version?

NeoBeum
08-24-2017, 12:45 AM
Not in a native sense, but you can get it to boot by loading the nvme drivers in the pre installation environment and recovery environment.
Ahci in bios is required for the moment, and disabling secure boot will help.

I'll have a solution ready for the g751 next week that users can compile themselves or use a prebuilt template on my github

NeoBeum
08-24-2017, 12:55 AM
Ah...... Hmmm... Gimme a sec, lemme quickly hack the samsung driver and check its good for windows 8

Edit: actually, I'll try a quick custome WinPE... And upload it. It should technically load and then you can use another usb to do whatever install you need

NeoBeum
08-24-2017, 02:35 AM
https://github.com/NeoBeum/ASUS-G751JY

The archive you want is called "ROG-WinPE.rar", and it's a 15 part archive, approximately 300MB.
Don't go downloading the drivers scattered in that repository, they were older drivers I just quickly uploaded.

You'll need a USB Drive - 1GB is enough, and Format it to FAT32.
Grab the 15 part archive and extract the contents into the Formatted FAT32 USB stick...
When you finish that, run this command using WindowsKey+R

"shutdown /f /o /r /t 0"

That'll take you to the advanced options..
Hopefully the drive will be recognized as a UEFI boot disk... if not, navigate the menu and go in to the UEFI/BIOS
Once in the BIOS, tell it you want to boot from the USB stick.

This stick will load the Windows 10 Pre-Installation Environment - from here - you should be able to access that drive. If you want to install something, use another USB drive.
When the WindowsPE first loads, you'll have a command prompt. If you put a new install disk in, access it via: normal cmd prompt stuff... C: or D:, the usb you formatted is X:
if you need to locate the disks you need, run diskpart. go look how to use it more that my half baked solution below.

X:\> DISKPART
Blabla stuff MS Versionsblabla

DISKPART> list disk
DISK INFO STUFF

DISKPART> list volume
volume info stuff

it might be a while until i get that PE uploaded... GitHub doesn't like it.... I was going to use my ASUS WebStorage... but apparently I have 0KB maximum when it should be around 8GB.... waiting for support to mail back.

Failing that, go download the Windows 10 ADK, then once you have it, run DISM in Admin Mode, and use this, enter each line seperately:
Grab the https://github.com/NeoBeum/ASUS-G751JY/tree/master/secnvme.inf_amd64 drivers and put them somewhere .... C:\SSDNVME

copype amd64 C:\winpe_amd64
Dism /mount-image /imagefile:c:\WinPE_amd64\media\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\winpe_amd64\mount
dism /image:"c:\winpe_amd64\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:"c:\SSDNVME\secnvme.inf" /forceunsigned
dism /unmount-image /mountdir:c:\winpe_amd64\mount /commit

Then, with the USB FAT32 disk, find it's drive letter in My Computer, and the final line to use in DISM is:

MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\winpe_amd64 "USB LETTER":

MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\winpe_amd64 U:

You'll need to disable secureboot otherwise that drive won't load, and you need it for the Samsung 960s

NeoBeum
08-25-2017, 12:21 PM
https://github.com/NeoBeum/ASUS-G751JY
The drivers you need are in

SCSIAdapter\secnvme_2.2.0.1703

ButchN
08-28-2017, 12:24 AM
Thanks for what you have done so far, wicked appreciate!

And, haha, now wicked confused!

I am guessing the 1st post is null & use just the drivers in the 2nd post?

I have downloaded the other 3 files, but .inf as it seems it is not a dowloadable file.
I put the other 3 files on my flash drive & nothing when I rebooted the laptop.

I must have missed a step somewhere
Still stuck!

ButchN
08-28-2017, 12:25 AM
Thanks for what you have done so far, wicked appreciate!

And, haha, now wicked confused!

I am guessing the 1st post is null & use just the drivers in the 2nd post?

I have downloaded the other 3 files, but .inf as it seems it is not a dowloadable file.
I put the other 3 files on my flash drive & nothing when I rebooted the laptop.

I must have missed a step somewhere
Still stuck!

NeoBeum
08-31-2017, 12:13 AM
just wait a bit... theres a cluster**** of issues between Microsoft intel asus and samsung at the moment, read my thread on the creators update drivers.. especially if your JY has the 4860HQ... or should I say 4870HQ... or is it the Xeon... 4710? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95544-G751JY-Windows-10-1703-Creators-Update-2017-Driver-List

Darnassus
08-31-2017, 09:00 AM
.. probably best not to mess with NVMe on these laptops. I blew my controller somehow and had to swap the unit for a new one..

JustinThyme
08-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Hi, subject says it all.
The laptop boots to the BIOS (211) screen & does not show the new 2TB PCIE M.2 SSD drive.
It is a 3.0 x4 interface, so it should see it & work.
I tried enabling & disabling fast boot & the same with Launch CSM, still, nothing.
I plugged in my USB stick & it goes through what looks like the backtracker process copying to the hard drive, so it says, yet when it says remove USB & reboot, it comes right back to the BIOS screen.

Any ideas?

As posted before in many sections, contrary to some posts the G751 does not support NVMe protocol. Unfortunately at the time of release the M2 was still in its infancy. It does fully support the samsun OEM SM951 AHCI version though.

Some have hacked the BIOS but that doesn't change the hardware. You end up with cooked controllers or the only instance Ive seen someone post that actually got it to boot from one the speeds were worse than a SATA SSD.

NeoBeum
08-31-2017, 11:31 PM
yeah, the 960s then, will have problems

the pcie3 x4 isnt really enabled, because the gpu is taking up the pcie gen 3

the 751s pcie m.2 is connected at gen2
you cap out 2GBs, I looked at changing it around, but theres nothing warranting an extra 500MBs on a hdd, the 1500-2000 was plenty fast.

thats why I sort of said to get a 950 in another thread, because it can use samsungs controller at boot

heres the hm87 pch config

NeoBeum
08-31-2017, 11:56 PM

Thanks, that clarifies the other question I had about the other brands.
The 751 will only be able to use the Samsung 950, because the UBX samsung has adds the nvme controller on the chip.
and the Intel 750 maybe.

the other brands: WD, Kingston, SanDisk, Corsair, Crucial all rely on the controller on the motherboard, when I was looking for drivers... which is why the drivers dont exist/ dont need to be made for those

Gps3dx
09-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Thanks, that clarifies the other question I had about the other brands.
The 751 will only be able to use the Samsung 950, because the UBX samsung has adds the nvme controller on the chip.
and the Intel 750 maybe.

the other brands: WD, Kingston, SanDisk, Corsair, Crucial all rely on the controller on the motherboard, when I was looking for drivers... which is why the drivers dont exist/ dont need to be made for those

please allow me to get it right...
you claim that on G751JY/T you can install NVME PCI-E card ( samsung preferebly because of the internal NVME chip on the ssd itself ) WITHOUT any bios modification AND still be able to UEFI boot it ( i.e being recognize during windows 10 installation, max by providing extra driver ) ?

so does bios modding ( NVME module injection ) can help you at all ? ( so that native uefi ( i.e CSM off ) can detect it ? )

can you please "arrange" my mind about it ?

ButchN
09-03-2017, 02:24 PM
I got an email from ASUS support, 3 days after I sent it, very poor, & the person said install an OS on it 1st!

Well, that is what the purpose of the boot USB flash drive is for, & I told the person that.

They never replied.

ButchN
09-12-2017, 12:26 AM
I ended up selling the SSD since I could not get hep from ASUS.

Thanks to all here that tried to help, it was greatly appreciated.

Gps3dx
09-12-2017, 01:09 AM
I got an email from ASUS support, 3 days after I sent it, very poor, & the person said install an OS on it 1st!

Well, that is what the purpose of the boot USB flash drive is for, & I told the person that.

They never replied.

yep, Asus tech rep have a tendency to answer empty/non-useful questions.
usually they simply tell you to RMA the laptop.
you spend 2000-4000$ on their top-of-the-line laptop, but they can't afford to employ *useful* tech-support.
i'm not even sure they got 2nd tier tech-support, beside their R&D teams, which cannot be contacted by any mean by any private client.
there's what "exist" and there's what "preferable"...

So basically, you better of chating in forums like this, trying to educate yourself from other users knowledge.

its facts of life, corporations care, in the long run, only about revenues... once you've purchase an item... DIY/education support isn't part of the deal...
only RMA is... and during limited frametime... so that after 1-2 years, your item might get broken, and the whole loop of purchasing-> rma -> end of life will start all over.

JustinThyme
09-12-2017, 01:29 AM
I ended up selling the SSD since I could not get hep from ASUS.

Thanks to all here that tried to help, it was greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately there is nothing that is going to change your hardware on the MOBO. The just dont support. We beat this one to death some time ago when the 950 pros came out. The only M2s it will run are the SM951 AHCI version. Something like this.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147425

Just make sure you pay attention because they played a cruel joke with the SM951. There are two different model numbers separated by a single letter.

MZHPV=AHCI and the one you want.

MZVPV=NVME and wont work

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3KA7506

Another cruel joke ASUS played is the drive port. One is GEN 3 and the other is Gen 2

NeoBeum
09-19-2017, 07:47 AM
please allow me to get it right...
you claim that on G751JY/T you can install NVME PCI-E card ( samsung preferebly because of the internal NVME chip on the ssd itself ) WITHOUT any bios modification AND still be able to UEFI boot it ( i.e being recognize during windows 10 installation, max by providing extra driver ) ?

so does bios modding ( NVME module injection ) can help you at all ? ( so that native uefi ( i.e CSM off ) can detect it ? )

can you please "arrange" my mind about it ?

No. Do not do a BIOS Inject - I tried it already.

The best option is to load a 'Setup/PreInstallation Environment' for Windows WITH the Samsung (1.1) 1.4.6 NVME Controller. If you try and use the 2.2 controller, it won't boot.

**Note** (This is important)
You will need to inject the driver 4 times in 3 different image locations, 10 if you end up using the 4 Edition Installation Media
1 - Boot.wim (PE)
2 - Boot.wim (Setup)
3 - install.wim (Windows Edition #1)
4 - winre.wim (Windows Recovery #1 install.wim\Windows\System32\recovery)
If you don't do all of them - when Windows does a major version update - you will lose the preloaded driver. Windows isn't smart enough to do it by itself.

I'm almost finished my CustOEM Recovery project... have a look in the thread I made, I have pics of what I've added. I have WiFi, Bluetooth and Thunderbolt working in the PreInstallation Environment. I even added support for XInput so you can use a XBox controller - going to add that later for Menu UI and junk.
I'm just trying to piece together all the bits of the puzzle getting things working now with the Installation.

I added the photos to the first post:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95544-G751JY-Windows-10-1703-Creators-Update-2017-Driver-List&p=669723#post669723

chris_tronic
01-31-2018, 04:56 PM
Just look my NVMe BIOS Mod Guide for the ASUS G751

I made a quick simple guide , how to upgrade your BIOS for NVMe Support. You really dont need to be afraid. My NVMe Drive works without problems,
once the BIOS is upgraded.
So there is not much profit in speed, because the HM87 Chipset can only support PCIe x4 Gen2 .. you will stay at 1600 MB/s read and 1400 MB/s write, but you dont need to pay a crazy amount of many for buying a AHCI compliant PCIe SSD, that is even slower and older.
Be smart and make BIOS Mod (update). If you have any questions, feel free to contect me ...
Have fun:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99677-ASUS-G751-JY-BIOS-211-NVMe-Upgrade-Guide-Step-by-Step&highlight=asus+g751+nvme

Christian K.