PDA

View Full Version : GPU Tweak not working?

chandler14362
01-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Hello im using a Asus G742 Laptop and whenever I try to run GPU Tweak the process starts but, the program doesn't pop up on the screen. Any solutions?

_
01-17-2012, 06:57 AM
What version of GPU Tweak are you using?

Matt Horvath
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm experiencing the same issue, but on a G73SW-A1... I just downloaded the latest version from the website

charles_w_e
01-17-2012, 10:24 PM
As the title said, exact same problem with Asus G74Sx laptop? Just wondering, are all Asus laptop already been overclocked? Will the program boost it more? Thanks..

PS: I test the latest stable version 2.0.3.0

kb0sdq
01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Broken record time hehe.
The latest version is here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9628-Official-Launch-Version-2.0.3.0-(with-download-link) 2.03.0 When I click it, it seems to start to launch then quits.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

HiVizMan
01-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Downloads just fine here. If you have a problem downloading disable your anti-virus or firewall for the few moments it takes for the download to finish.

aussiebigdog
01-18-2012, 02:53 AM
I have just purchased my G74Sx laptop and found the drivers and bios were not uptodate.

Today I have installed "ASUS GPU Tweak 2.0.3.0 for Windows Vista7 3264 bit" (2012.01.06 update).

It is running, but the application never pops up to operate!!!!

What am I doing wrong?

kz9
01-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Just downloaded this aswell and it wont start. Says it already running if I double click it......

Any solutions?

kb0sdq
01-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Hello Hiv,
Yea I had no problem downloading the program. Just have a problem running it.
I went thru the install and the restart. When I click the icon on the desktop or the program in the start menu nothing I get that little wheel indicating it is running/starting/thinking but nothing happens after that.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

G73JH-RBBXO5
Cpu: i7-720QM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5870
6gigs ram

HiVizMan
01-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey guys sorry to hear the hassle you are having.

Could you provide a bit of detail please

OS
Graphic card used
Platform - mobo and or CPU type

aussiebigdog
01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Today I have installed "ASUS GPU Tweak 2.0.3.0 for Windows Vista7 32 & 64 bit" (2012.01.06 update).
-- note that I was not given the choice of 32 or 64 bit
-- note that "ASUS GPU Tweak 2.0.3.0" was installed in x86

Windows 7 64 bit laptop
Intel Core i7 2670m, 2.2GHz
nvidia 560M . 3GB
Memory 8GB
Asus G74Sx

HiVizMan
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Ah okay I am unable to do any testing on Laptops so sorry.

Is the other lad also a Laptop ?

kz9
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Yes. G74x GTX560m 3GB

Bojamijams
01-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Also on G74Sx-rh71 and crashes on startup

aussiebigdog
01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Today I have installed "ASUS GPU Tweak 2.0.3.0 for Windows Vista7 32 & 64 bit" (2012.01.06 update).
-- note that I was not given the choice of 32 or 64 bit
-- note that "ASUS GPU Tweak 2.0.3.0" was installed in x86

Windows 7 64 bit laptop
Intel Core i7 2670m, 2.2GHz
nvidia 560M . 3GB
Memory 8GB
Asus G74Sx

I forgot to include the file name downloaded" GPUTweak_2_0_3.zip

HiVizMan
01-18-2012, 11:14 PM
I have asked to have access to a laptop and hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later. I have bumped the problem up the ladder in the mean while.

Matt Horvath
01-19-2012, 01:22 AM
my notebook is as follows:
Asus G73SW-A1
Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0 Ghz
Windows 7 x64
GeForce GTX460M

theOgreking
01-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Hi,

I'm having the same issue. I have turned off my firewall re-downloaded it installed and when I get back from the restart it says "Its already running".

I have the G74x and I downloaded GPU Tweak 2.0.3

A idea to how to get it working would really help.

Thanks

claydough
01-21-2012, 08:16 AM
And a temporary fix fer me!

v.2.0.3 win7 64
newest beta nvidia drivers

GPUTweak starts up but am not able to access gputweak from the taskbar's notification area icon. ( no functionality like a conextmenu to show hide the actual gui.. as if it were stuck )

A fix: ( sometimes )

sometimes I can get it to popUp by killing the processes ( gputweak and monitor ) from the task manager> process> right click disable

And then subsequent icons act predicatably. ( I am also using ASUS software with my REIII motherboard and I notice that on the subsqent successful launches that CPULevelUp will launch at the sametime ( perhaps a sign that the initial problem is a compatability problem with other ASUS resources? )

Good luck with a fix.

Vkarr
01-21-2012, 05:26 PM
For some reason GPU Tweak works on my laptop only if I download the oldest version and it's the only version that shows Voltage althought I won't be changing it.

claydough
01-22-2012, 11:12 AM
I feel like an idiot sort of...

Maybe some are suffering the same logic error I experienced.
90% of the time you get notification area functionality by right click contextual menus or by simply clicking on it. ( which does not work )

HOWEVER, GPUtweak works FINE if I just double click on the icon!

DOH!!!

Perhaps others are suffereing from the same gui behavior presumptions?
Try double clicking the notification icon instead.

Hope that helps alot of the users here!

chrsplmr
01-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Im following this with great interest.. i am curious.. what ... because
it is onboard? makes the lappy ... hmmm..different?
and does the double clicking the icon resolve this for some??

sorry..i look at it as a toy..un needed bloatWare... resourceNibbler..
for me and the way i use my rig..i know it is a valued tool for some
more serious about... the SuperTweakOC...FrameRate..ect...all very interesting.c.

EDIT TO BELOW :::: ChewySphincter ... hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahahhaah.....................hahahhah a....he.... Welcome..c.

ChewySphincter
01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
i have hte same problem. i try to run it, i see the little wheel like its starting, then nothing... i also get the thing where it says its already running. i downloaded 2.0.3.0 version. and sometimes with some programs i have to right click and run as admin to make them run, but that wont work either.

G74Sx
intel i7
GTX 560M
windows 7 64 bit

HiVizMan
01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Not to worry mate the forum is playing up big time I have made far to many duplicate posts today. I will delete for you.

Chewy (Nice user name mate)

I will try and find out what and why as soon as I can and get back to you re the GPU tool.

mbart79
01-23-2012, 03:39 AM
Yep im having the same issue.

G74s
Nvidia GTX 560m
Windows 7 64 bit

areppon
01-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Same problem.

G73SW
Core i7 2Ghz
GTX460

QUOTE = Maybe some are suffering the same logic error I experienced.
90% of the time you get notification area functionality by right click contextual menus or by simply clicking on it. ( which does not work )

HOWEVER, GPUtweak works FINE if I just double click on the icon!

DOH!!!

Perhaps others are suffereing from the same gui behavior presumptions?
Try double clicking the notification icon instead. = END QUOTE

Glad it's working for you. However people are complaining that the program CRASHES UPON ATTEMPTS TO RUN the program. I'm not sure if you're aware, but programs only show up in the notification area when they're actually running. So if a program fails to run, it's not exactly going to show up there to be double clicked on now is it?

Forgive me for going off topic, but what's up with the pages of this forum? Is is suffering the same lack of quality control as the program we're complaining about? The main site is full of cool pictures and flash videos and colourful and easy to look at and read. Then once we're suckered into downloading a program that doesn't work, we come here to ask questions and all we get is a boring black and white page with no styling and everything's stacked on top of each other so it's damn near impossible to find anything or read anything. Did somebody forget to link the style sheets? Come on ASUS. You've GOT to to better than this. First I had to RMA a 2 month old brand spanking new $1300 laptop, and now I have to do it again at 6 months old, and now this? What happened to the built-like-a-brick-shtickhouse Asus that I've been a loyal customer and fan of for so many years? I'm thinking maybe I should have gone to Dell and bought an Alienware instead. Loyalty was the deciding factor of my purchase. I feel betrayed.

Sorry for the O.T. rant

HiVizMan
01-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Mate it is driving me mad too. Both the application and the pages. Will try and get both fixed quick quick.

This is what the forum looks like for me.

areppon
01-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Mate it is driving me mad too. Both the application and the pages. Will try and get both fixed quick quick.

This is what the forum looks like for me.

Whoah, that I could deal with. This is what I get
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/995/forumview.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/forumview.jpg/)
Totally boring. And farther down the page everything's all cluttered together.

DaemonCantor
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
On the Forum part I've had this also a couple times, Clear you Cache...your Firefox Cache is corrupted. on GPU Tweek, Sorry I just haven't had any problems yet except it doesn't make my Coffee in the Morning!

kaltoreth
01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Hello.

Install the 2.0 version first.
THen start the setup file for 2.0.3 - It will say it will upgrade. Ok, next next - Done.

Now you can start it =)

Seems like it needs certain files that are not included in the standalone exe file that comes with the 2.0.3 zip file.

Anyways, install 2.0 -> upgrade to 2.0.3 seems to work.

ttfn

kz9
01-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks! That worked....

Sgt Squirts
01-25-2012, 07:07 AM
I am having the exact same problem on the G74SX-XC1.

Shimosa1
02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
i have a question about the program, should i update my bios before installing it? because last time i installed it, my system blue screened everytime gpu tweak opened. had to system restore.

claydough
02-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Glad it's working for you. However people are complaining that the program CRASHES UPON ATTEMPTS TO RUN the program. I'm not sure if you're aware, but programs only show up in the notification area when they're actually running. So if a program fails to run, it's not exactly going to show up there to be double clicked on now is it?

Unless it does.

However, since you do not have a notification icon at least we know that the problem exists past traditional ASUS GUI design presumptions.
Considering no-one else would confirm the problem past gui logic "Thank You". Sorry I could not help.
However, as far as I know. Nothing has changed. The Gui logic is still confounding compared to intuitive expectation and Hopefully a post might help another suffering the same mistake.

And when you click on that notification icon THE SAME WAY YOU CLICK ON EVERY OTHER ASUS DEVELOPED NOTIFICATION ICON! ( AI SUITE, CPU Level UP, ASUS AI charger, etc... )

Even though It starts up, nothing comes on screen. Jes Like the first post:

Hello im using a Asus G742 Laptop and whenever I try to run GPU Tweak the process starts but, the program doesn't pop up on the screen. Any solutions?

And as far as I can tell that is the "same Issue" alot of other folks "MAYBE" perceiving:

I'm experiencing the same issue, but on a G73SW-A1... I just downloaded the latest version from the website

When I try to start from the start menu aswell and it still won't start. Says it already running if I double click it...( because it is running ) which sounds like what others "MAYBE" experiencing aswell? Hmmmm?

Just downloaded this aswell and it wont start. Says it already running if I double click it......

Any solutions?

Sometimes if a left click won't work you can get a conextual menu from ASUS notification icons by right clicking. Which also does not work! So frustraitngly I try to redownload and re-install but by notification icon ASUS logic is still faulty so clicking on the start menu again it says its already running?. ( I re-installed 2 times before I realized I was an idiot )

Hi,
I'm having the same issue. I have turned off my firewall re-downloaded it installed and when I get back from the restart it says "Its already running".

I still have read nothing into these "previous threads leading up to my post" that would lead me to believe that they did not have a notification icon that did not work. And as far as I know they have gpuTweak running already but do not have a logical correct way to bring up the GUI? Because each thread still resembles and describes my initial frustration.

On the otherhand, I find it hard to believe that the devs have no plans to leverage contextual functionality soon anyway?
Certainly, when the video capture option is implemented? In which case. " Everythings Gravy."

claydough
02-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Hello.

Install the 2.0 version first.
THen start the setup file for 2.0.3 - It will say it will upgrade. Ok, next next - Done.

Now you can start it =)

Seems like it needs certain files that are not included in the standalone exe file that comes with the 2.0.3 zip file.

Anyways, install 2.0 -> upgrade to 2.0.3 seems to work.

ttfn

Hmmm... I can confirm I mistakenly took this route as well.

I installed 2.0.3. Could not get it to werk.
Tried re-installing but mistakenly downloaded and installed ver. 2.0 instead.
But I am pretty sure I uninstalled then re-installed once more to get "back" to 2.0.3?

This would explain why I can no longer get the spinning icon again that someone described! ( Because I could have sworn that I had that happen to me as well. )

??? Huh.. Dumb luck? ( or idiot savant :p )

A big Maybe again? My head hurtz...

claydough
02-11-2012, 02:13 AM
The Gui logic is still confounding compared to intuitive expectation and Hopefully a post might help another suffering the same mistake.

when you click on that notification icon THE SAME WAY YOU CLICK ON EVERY OTHER ASUS DEVELOPED NOTIFICATION ICON! ( AI SUITE, CPU Level UP, ASUS AI charger, etc... )

"

As a matter of fact,
the only reason I discoverd I was being an impatient idiot spaz is because as I was frustratingly spazing on the left button clicks on the notification icon... As I started to freak out over failure my button mashing jes
became progressively quicker till she blew with a satifying double *click* and a low slow "huh? ohhhh... uH-DUuH"

kb0sdq
02-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Somewhere in this thread it was said to install the previous version and then download the last release and it will update. So I did that and it works,seems something is missing in the latest release. Anyhow I got it loaded up could not control fans so I am still using saphire Trixx easy to use and works on my fans.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

knighthawk22
02-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Did like you said installed 2.0, then ran setup for 2.0.3 and worked like a charm! Thanks much! :D

_
02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
This should apply to many people in this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10812-Own-a-G-series-notebook-and-trying-to-run-GPU-Tweak-See-here

deadsculpter
02-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey guys, ive been having this odd problem with this program for a while now. I have a Asus C90s laptop with a 9650m Gt DDR2 video card. Every time i open Gpu Tweak up, nothing shows up under the tuning section, i have downloaded and updated it to 2.0.3 as well. Heres a picture of the problem, does anyone know what can be causing this??
I have uninstalled the video driver and reinstalled it, still no luck..

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa265/deadsculpter76/gpu.jpg

Shurakai
02-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Glad everyone has magically got it working by installing the old 2.0 then 2.0.3 (which you should not have to do, good work on the software there, much like all my dealing with ASUS software)

Alas this has not worked for me, and I still cannot get this program to run, not a good thing to have happen after sinking a ludicrous $800 Aussie dollars on a HD7970

http://i.imgur.com/eDGf4l.png (http://imgur.com/eDGf4)

Any actual fix to this problem I could try short of formatting and starting from scratch? (I'd rather not do that because it takes voodoo magic to get the Xonar D1 drivers to install)

Don't get me wrong, I love ASUS, Motherboard (Saber P67), Monitors (VE248H), Sound Card (As above) and Graphics (7970 DCUII) all ASUS, but software has been horrible on all accounts :(

Big Edit: Turns out the latest 12.2 drivers from ATI were conflicting, once i got the better previous RC11 it worked, one problem though, when i incrase the mhz it automatically increases the voltage and visa versa, bug?

Shimosa1
03-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I have downloaded GPU Tweak for Win 7 64bit for my new system and it crashes my computer everytime i start the program. The cards came with Smart Doctor but i would be really like to use GPU Tweak.

Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 6100
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 TI x2
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB HDD
ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner
CORSAIR H80
COOLMAX CUG-950B 950W

prodigy
05-25-2012, 03:53 AM
gooday rog community ...

i got a problem on the gpu tweak...
the default driver comes with cd-rom Asus GTX560 TI Top both the driver and gpu tweaks works perfectly.
problem is when i update the nvidia driver beta and even released 301.42, it wont work, gpu tweak will hang and crashed
and a message thats read

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

I'm using GPU Tweak 2.1.2.4

Does this means that i should go back and use the old asus GTX560 TI Top driver ?
Currently version 285.66 ??? last updated was 2011.15.06 ???

my setup is as per my signature....

villain
05-25-2012, 07:09 AM
problem is when i update the nvidia driver beta and even released 301.42, it wont work, gpu tweak will hang and crashed
GPU Tweak indeed seems to crash the latest NVIDIA driver.

Does this means that i should go back and use the old asus GTX560 TI Top driver ?
Currently version 285.66 ??? last updated was 2011.15.06 ???
There's a more recent release, 296.10 (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/43997) (March 13th).

Seth_slax
09-09-2014, 10:30 PM
I had the same problem not too long ago with GPUTweak not opening at startup and generally not at all, but one of my HDD'S crashed and I lost a lot of programs, then it started working perfectly. As soon as I re-installed WindowsBlinds and applied a skin, the problem returned.
The program works eventually after closing the process a few times through Task Manager, but I'm thinking it's just a compatability issue between the two programs.
If you have WB, try killing the process to see if that's what's messing with yours. I've tested it on the last 3 releases of Tweak.