PDA

View Full Version : Beta FW testing for Centurion 7.1

Bahz
09-06-2017, 02:16 AM
You can download the file at the link below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8hXL86D6YHUWGZHVEFJTlFRbG8

Please share your testing feedback here in this thread.

morph.
09-06-2017, 06:10 AM
Will try when I get home tonight thanks!!!

SATTTY
09-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Hey I forgot to tell you bahz there a issue when you turn off 7.1 and leave amp on the bass sound very bad is anyone getting the same issue or it just me ?

Bahz
09-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Hey I forgot to tell you bahz there a issue when you turn off 7.1 and leave amp on the bass sound very bad is anyone getting the same issue or it just me ?

Thanks for the info, I will test this on Friday and confirm if I have the same issues in game.

Krystvark
09-06-2017, 09:26 AM
I tried Metro last light and the rear/side volume level has improved alot. All audio channels are active and worked really well except Subwoofer.

Subwoofer was active when character walked on ice that had this crackling/breaking sound, but volume level was really low.

I muted all channels except subwoofer and foot steps actually has bass! Only foot steps. No gunfire/explosions or talking.

When only channel activated was subwoofer you cant hear any other sounds than footsteps.

Update! Threw grenade at my feet and the explosion actually had bass and the subwoofer volume level was really low! But when you look at the grenade and explosion there is no bass.

You cant look up/down, you must look straight forward for bass to activate.

So does this mean that sounds beneath the character activates the subwoofer?

Hope this helps! Thanks for update! :)

batty
09-06-2017, 03:32 PM
so im trying out the new beta and ive noticed a tinny sounding sub the sub doesn't fire in when sounds are directly behind and the center channel isn't working at all.. the rear channels are better than b4 but the sound still cuts in and out at the back and center front doesn't work

Bahz
09-07-2017, 02:16 AM
I tried Metro last light and the rear/side volume level has improved alot. All audio channels are active and worked really well except Subwoofer.

Subwoofer was active when character walked on ice that had this crackling/breaking sound, but volume level was really low.

I muted all channels except subwoofer and foot steps actually has bass! Only foot steps. No gunfire/explosions or talking.

When only channel activated was subwoofer you cant hear any other sounds than footsteps.

Update! Threw grenade at my feet and the explosion actually had bass and the subwoofer volume level was really low! But when you look at the grenade and explosion there is no bass.

You cant look up/down, you must look straight forward for bass to activate.

So does this mean that sounds beneath the character activates the subwoofer?

Hope this helps! Thanks for update! :)

Thanks for sharing this, it's very good information with good details as well.

Bahz
09-07-2017, 02:17 AM
so im trying out the new beta and ive noticed a tinny sounding sub the sub doesn't fire in when sounds are directly behind and the center channel isn't working at all.. the rear channels are better than b4 but the sound still cuts in and out at the back and center front doesn't work

Do you think it would be possible to provide sample/recording of the cutting issue that you mentioned?

morph.
09-07-2017, 06:20 AM
in Player Unknown Battlegrounds 2.0 or 7.1 sub still doesn't seem to activate... or in youtube / netflix.

Initial impressions
2.0 sounds alot more echoey / hallow..
7.1 sound is definitely more improved.

batty
09-07-2017, 09:33 AM
in playerunknown's battlegrounds when someone is running around you, i can't hear when someone is running directly infront of me the sound cuts in and out around about *110 to *120 and the other side is about *240 to *250 degrees and *0 degrees which is directly infront wont play footsteps at all for me, 180 degrees works now unlike before so its an improvement.. the sub still doesn't go off if the sounds are from rears ill have to try out other things it might just be limited to that game ill leave you some more feedback later

Bahz
09-08-2017, 02:21 AM
Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'm testing it out today and see if our testing results are identical.

SATTTY
09-09-2017, 08:36 AM
How was your results man and can you sticky you thread on here ?

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'm testing it out today and see if our testing results are identical.

Bahz
09-12-2017, 03:21 AM
How was your results man and can you sticky you thread on here ?

Sure, I will sticky this thread. I did some testing with media and I believe this FW update is a good improvement over the previous. For game testing I noticed that rear channels are still a bit weak but I do notice that there are improvements in this area. I still need to spend more time testing in different games, but so far I would say that this new FW is a definite improvement over the previous. At this point it's best to wait for more feedback from more users and I will collect back all the feedback and pass it over to our teams so they can make the correct adjustments for the next FW update.

morph.
09-12-2017, 05:36 AM
Sure, I will sticky this thread. I did some testing with media and I believe this FW update is a good improvement over the previous. For game testing I noticed that rear channels are still a bit weak but I do notice that there are improvements in this area. I still need to spend more time testing in different games, but so far I would say that this new FW is a definite improvement over the previous. At this point it's best to wait for more feedback from more users and I will collect back all the feedback and pass it over to our teams so they can make the correct adjustments for the next FW update.

Does 2.0 sound echoey / hollow to you?

SATTTY
09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Yeah the 2.1 sounds so bad with the bass and bahz yes it a big improvement over the other firmware but till needs some more improvement tho I'm happy its getting fixed :)

Bahz
09-25-2017, 09:10 AM
I tested more during the weekend and yes I can confirm that stereo mode (2.1) does have echo issue while watching videos and listening to music.

SATTTY
09-25-2017, 05:18 PM
did you notice the bass is bad in 2.1 mode and do you know when a new firmware will come ?

I tested more during the weekend and yes I can confirm that stereo mode (2.1) does have echo issue while watching videos and listening to music.

Pr0reaper
10-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Hey guys

After installing the beta firmware, it made the rear channels abit louder, but its still veeery tinny and quiet with little Bass
Its most noticeable in PUBG in my opinion, especially during the 60second pregame when people are messing about with the free guns.

But over all, the sound quality changed alot in this firmware, like i say it made the rear channels slightly better but the rest of the changes with the bass, i dont like.
I prefer the overall sound before the update.

Im not sure if anyone else mentioned but in PUBG and Overwatch, if i turn 7.1 off the rear channels dont work at all. theres no sound what so ever unless you look in that direction.

Any more internal testing been done?

Thanks!

HaKKuDaKKu
10-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Hi

The new beta is much better i have been using it from past few weeks. i wanted to know whats the update on new firmware? when will it be released?

Thanks

tai50cent
10-23-2017, 01:14 PM
me too , pls give some information about improve your firmware , i bought your expensive headphone and now i waiting your patch

upsnef
10-23-2017, 07:11 PM
the sound is just a bit better

but, i have 2 option

1- i have a deffect units and need replacement

or 2 its as per design and i dont understand how to set it

i just move froom Logitech G933
and sorry but the center and rear/side sound really bad

in the Division , all voice, reload weapons, walking, water are froom center
and this center is muffled, no clear/tweets and no bass at all, only mid and not all mid frequency

sound really weir and bad

its the second one i have but int test the first one because Amazon send me a used one

this one have the mic issue, sent PM to Master and hope the new one will sound way better than this one

to be honnest my garbage heaset i paid $49 sound way better than this one for now

upsnef
10-24-2017, 02:12 PM
RMA in process, will update info here if they sound better (I'm sure they will)

tai50cent
10-25-2017, 12:30 PM
i agree that this costly / expensive asus headphone is not't good when compare to my old headphone which only 100$. maybe asus pay too much for advertise !!!!!

tai50cent
11-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Hello !!!, anybody still care about the updating firmware ? Say something that you still try to fix your "Premium" headphone pls because there no link to download driver and firmware on your website ? Why you remove the driver and firmware on your website asus ?

morph.
11-07-2017, 10:50 PM
Been getting radio silence here not sure whats going on... Buying such an expensive headset and not really getting much traction with issues.

Thrawn126
11-08-2017, 03:50 PM
yes some news about something would be nice

Guyvergamingtv
11-09-2017, 03:54 PM
still waiting for my new headset, been 2 weeks since i heard anything. getting annoyed now with the lack of communication we are getting fom asus about this situation.

murenitu
11-13-2017, 01:17 PM
mother install the last fw that you put the MCU1.6DSP1.8_20170904 and it sounds fatal but fatal, the 2.0 is heard as the speakers were broken, in 7.1 you hear "normal" but still no speaker from the back for example the battlefield1.

jaat96
11-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Have there been any updates on the firmware since the first beta came out? it seems that asus don't care anymore :mad:

Mollari
11-14-2017, 05:05 PM
I recently bought a Centurion and wondered that the rear sound in game isn´t really good.

I made some tests, according that weak rear sound issue.

In Star Citizen there is exactly the same issue, that rear sounds sounding like out of a tin can.

I mixed a sound file (some kind of music) to 7.1 surround. And ALL channels give that output, they should. Even if I enable rear speakers only, they sound well. Enabling center and subwoofer in addition the headphone sounds good.

Possibly I think, there is an issue in the games (DirectSound or what ever), causing a wrong mixed output, so that subwoofer or center speaker are not playing anything. Probably the games can´t drive a 7.1 configuration but a 5.1 configuration.

Could this be a possibility????????????

I will do some further tests and compare it to my sound card, hopefully i have enough stereo headphones to emulate a 7.1 setup. Quite interesting to know, if that weak rear sound is produced there too...

Mollari
11-15-2017, 08:55 AM
I found out, that some games are not supporting a 7.1 setup.

Tried another game, and got only 7.0 output. LFE was not driven.

Then I discovered this website:

http://satsun.org/audio/

This approved my theory, that some games are not supporting a 7.1 setup, maybe resulting in some weird rear speaker output, disabling center and/or LFE.

Danglesnort
11-27-2017, 02:31 AM
I found out, that some games are not supporting a 7.1 setup.

Tried another game, and got only 7.0 output. LFE was not driven.

Then I discovered this website:

This approved my theory, that some games are not supporting a 7.1 setup, maybe resulting in some weird rear speaker output, disabling center and/or LFE.

You are correct. Here's an easy way to tell if the game is giving you proper x.1. Run the ROG 7.1 software, then run your game. You'll see the various channels active or inactive in the top left. I was particularly frustrated to discover a few games did not provide the sub channel.

Note that when you run the Windows surround sound configuration test, it will activate all the channels of the Centurion properly including the sub, and you can check this in the software too. So it is clearly the game not providing it, not that Windows was setup incorrectly.

Part of the problem here is that the Asus drivers/software don't (as far as I can tell) give you the option to cross the low frequencies to the sub when the source doesn't give you a true x.1, so you are just losing the driver in the headphones meant to do those low frequencies.... so it sounds bad. Whether this sub mix fix fixes the rear 'tinniness' is another question.

Asus, please test this. Just run Overwatch, get into the Training->Practice Range, go to the two robots that are shooting under the thing, and look at them, then turn around so they are behind you. Really easy to tell how bad it is.

Mollari
11-27-2017, 02:54 PM
I made my day, and built an adapter to interface that centurion headset with my R...T.. onboard 7.1 Soundcard.

First... that adapter works, including LED and MIC :D !!!!

But in games, that are using a different Sound API (FMOD, Wwise...) as Windows, I get EXACTLY the same 7.0 output (disabled LFE). It doesn´t matter, if I configured Windows to a 5.1 Setup or 7.1.

An option (checkbox in your ASUS Centurion Software), as Danglesnort mentioned, that routes low frequencies to LFE, could be a workaround for games not supporting a true 7.1 configuration.

@Donglesnort: that´s the way I tested the output.

CrAw_JM
12-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Good morning!
After installing beta (MCU1.6_DSP1.8) the microphone now emits an unpleasant background squeal and the side and rear channels distort in PUBG with loud sounds. I have returned to the official version of the web, but from what they tell me, they listen to me in a pool (MCU1.5_DSP1.7)...

Skofgaard
01-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Hello, i am new to this forum

I just bought an ASUS ROG Centurion 7.1 headset, and was quite dissapointed with the 7.1 surround effect, just as many other people on this forum. I saw this thread, and tried out the beta firmware posted by Bahz. Imo it didnt solve anything or improve the 7.1 surround sound at all. I noticed on another thread that Bahz has left the company and that MasterC@ASUS has taken over on this issue.

Have you guys made any progress with solving this?

Neh4pres
01-11-2018, 07:42 AM
what the actual F***.. i just dumped $300 on these headphones and my $30 throw away stereo turtle beaches destroy these things in quality and the ability to locate directional positions in games.... first, the rear channels have nowhere near the volume of the front channels, meaning that if someone is walking in front of you, then its completely masking the guy shooting behind you. im at such a disadvantage playing with these POS headphones that i would actually be better playing the games with no sound at all. then i tried turning 7.1 off on the hub, figuring that i would get decent stereo... NOPE, it keeps accepting 7.1 from the game, and only plays the front channels, meaning things behind you are literally MUTED! there is so much wrong with these headphones i dont know how they made it to market. did not a single employee start up a game and put these on their head??? i bought these 3 days ago, and have tried everything, and seeing as this discussion has been going on for months, its obvious that you have completely abandoned this product. im willing to bet, you did not even have a audio engineer on the team that made these.. simple things like using all 10 drivers in stereo mode and sampling all inputs to left and right channels seems completely beyond your intellect. i will be contacting asus directly, i will be getting a 100% refund, or i will be contacting the NY attorney general about false advertising.. as of right now, i will not be buying any asus product ever again, even thinking about selling my maximus viii so i dont have to look at the symbol and be reminded of the time asus rammed it in dry!

XtraArrow
01-13-2018, 11:06 PM
what the actual F***.. i just dumped $300 on these headphones and my $30 throw away stereo turtle beaches destroy these things in quality and the ability to locate directional positions in games.... first, the rear channels have nowhere near the volume of the front channels, meaning that if someone is walking in front of you, then its completely masking the guy shooting behind you. im at such a disadvantage playing with these POS headphones that i would actually be better playing the games with no sound at all. then i tried turning 7.1 off on the hub, figuring that i would get decent stereo... NOPE, it keeps accepting 7.1 from the game, and only plays the front channels, meaning things behind you are literally MUTED! there is so much wrong with these headphones i dont know how they made it to market. did not a single employee start up a game and put these on their head??? i bought these 3 days ago, and have tried everything, and seeing as this discussion has been going on for months, its obvious that you have completely abandoned this product. im willing to bet, you did not even have a audio engineer on the team that made these.. simple things like using all 10 drivers in stereo mode and sampling all inputs to left and right channels seems completely beyond your intellect. i will be contacting asus directly, i will be getting a 100% refund, or i will be contacting the NY attorney general about false advertising.. as of right now, i will not be buying any asus product ever again, even thinking about selling my maximus viii so i dont have to look at the symbol and be reminded of the time asus rammed it in dry!

Calm yourself chap, not many games utilize 7.1, check if your game supports 7.1, some games might only support 5.1. I posted a guide on how to "upmix" stereo sound to all 7.1 drivers in the headphones. check my thread out. They are decent quality in terms of sound and build. make sure you install the drivers from the site and then you can use the asus audio utility

Pr0reaper
01-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Hey @MasterC@ASUS

We need to revive this thread.

Months ago we were making headway with drivers/firmware.
the rear channel is still a huge issue.
We were told it was being worked on. we got one beta firmware then suddenly everything goes dark in terms of another update.

Guys we cant let this just go away. it needs to be fixed.

XtraArrow
01-29-2018, 08:01 AM
Hey @MasterC@ASUS

We need to revive this thread.

Months ago we were making headway with drivers/firmware.
the rear channel is still a huge issue.
We were told it was being worked on. we got one beta firmware then suddenly everything goes dark in terms of another update.

Guys we cant let this just go away. it needs to be fixed.

Do not worry, i'm with you man, i've been messaging admins and one has confirmed a new beta will be released this week, i'm also excited to see what's fixed/added.

MasterC@ASUS
01-30-2018, 09:18 AM
Apologies for the delay, requests for replacements have dwindled which means more time to test and tune the Centurion for various games, yay! We have created a new test firmware to improve the subwoofer, side, and rear channels. Have a try and let us know how you like it.

Download here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/HelpDesk_Download/

I received some good suggestions for how to redirect or merge channels in order to optimize bass. However, since support for surround sound varies from game to game, it is difficult to provide something that is one-size-fits-all. From example, Prey does not utilize the center channel at all, while in Dirt 4 you'll depend on it for much of the game. The subwoofer (0.1) is generally used to work exclusively for LFE (low-frequency effects) on its own or supplement other channels (especially surround), it works fine for movies but unpredictable in games, some never even use that channel at all. We do hope everyone can benefit from all 10 drivers offering a full 7.1-channel experience, changing channels around will defeat the purpose of having true 7.1.

It would be helpful to provide feedback for the games or movies you have tested. This way, everyone can see which games works well and which ones not so well in case anyone is uncertain whether their Centurion has issues.

XtraArrow
01-30-2018, 01:24 PM
Apologies for the delay, requests for replacements have dwindled which means more time to test and tune the Centurion for various games, yay! We have created a new test firmware to improve the subwoofer, side, and rear channels. Have a try and let us know how you like it.

Download here:

I received some good suggestions for how to redirect or merge channels in order to optimize bass. However, since support for surround sound varies from game to game, it is difficult to provide something that is one-size-fits-all. From example, Prey does not utilize the center channel at all, while in Dirt 4 you'll depend on it for much of the game. The subwoofer (0.1) is generally used to work exclusively for LFE (low-frequency effects) on its own or supplement other channels (especially surround), it works fine for movies but unpredictable in games, some never even use that channel at all. We do hope everyone can benefit from all 10 drivers offering a full 7.1-channel experience, changing channels around will defeat the purpose of having true 7.1.

It would be helpful to provide feedback for the games or movies you have tested. This way, everyone can see which games works well and which ones not so well in case anyone is uncertain whether their Centurion has issues.

Trying the new firmware, i can say the sides and rear sound a lot more balanced HOWEVER it's the tinny effect that's still there If you look at my thread i found a solution which you could(SHOULD) implement into the sound studio software i have the subwoofer enabled only on the sides and rears with a cut off of 200hz it sound so much bassier and no more tinny effect. What i'm saying is if a game does not support a specific channel, ALLOW channel routing of the sub to individual channels. Please reply to what you think!

MasterC@ASUS
01-31-2018, 02:25 AM
Trying the new firmware, i can say the sides and rear sound a lot more balanced HOWEVER it's the tinny effect that's still there If you look at my thread i found a solution which you could(SHOULD) implement into the sound studio software i have the subwoofer enabled only on the sides and rears with a cut off of 200hz it sound so much bassier and no more tinny effect. What i'm saying is if a game does not support a specific channel, ALLOW channel routing of the sub to individual channels. Please reply to what you think!

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We will investigate and continue to improve wherever needed. Please keep in mind that extra care is required when tuning bass. Excessive vibrations from 10 drivers working simultaneously can cause undesirable sound, especially when they are packed together in close proximity and in confined space. What may sound great in one game may not in another, so extensive testing is necessary. It'll be great to get feedback from everyone for specific content.

HeavyHemi
02-01-2018, 07:25 AM
This might be a useful resource. It is a list of games, the number of channels, the API etc...

Bethesda states Fallout 4 for example supports 5 channel but no sub or LFE out. And running the game at the default settings, that is not what shows as active, 7 channels an no sub Is what I show so apparently even Bethesda is confused... http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/35044/~/does-fallout-4-support-surround-sound%3F

I'm also a bit concerned about adding 'sub bass' output to all the drivers when playing stereo sources like music. Music is designed to be output via two sound sources not multiple drivers. As as said earlier balancing out multiple drivers output for a stereo source without negatively impacting quality would be a real challenge. What seems to be the issue to me is the low frequency balance in surround scenarios. I don't think the idea should be to add bass to the other drivers but that the LFE output needs to follow the sound stage in as far as intensity. As LFE is less directional than higher frequencies, this should be fixable. This never firmware is better. Music...it's interesting but I swear the sound stage has moved slightly to the rear putting the vocals a bit more prominent. I do not use any of the vocal enhancement in the software. I'm not sure it that is better or worse...definitely a difference though.

XtraArrow
02-02-2018, 01:33 AM
This might be a useful resource. It is a list of games, the number of channels, the API etc...

Bethesda states Fallout 4 for example supports 5 channel but no sub or LFE out. And running the game at the default settings, that is not what shows as active, 7 channels an no sub Is what I show so apparently even Bethesda is confused... http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/35044/~/does-fallout-4-support-surround-sound%3F

I'm also a bit concerned about adding 'sub bass' output to all the drivers when playing stereo sources like music. Music is designed to be output via two sound sources not multiple drivers. As as said earlier balancing out multiple drivers output for a stereo source without negatively impacting quality would be a real challenge. What seems to be the issue to me is the low frequency balance in surround scenarios. I don't think the idea should be to add bass to the other drivers but that the LFE output needs to follow the sound stage in as far as intensity. As LFE is less directional than higher frequencies, this should be fixable. This never firmware is better. Music...it's interesting but I swear the sound stage has moved slightly to the rear putting the vocals a bit more prominent. I do not use any of the vocal enhancement in the software. I'm not sure it that is better or worse...definitely a difference though.

If it's not possible to have the other drivers on in stereo mode, we need the sub woofer at least. When i had my side and rear channels on i used them for my highs but the volume was lowered around -20db.

HeavyHemi
02-03-2018, 02:56 AM
If it's not possible to have the other drivers on in stereo mode, we need the sub woofer at least. When i had my side and rear channels on i used them for my highs but the volume was lowered around -20db.

The sub woofer for what? What I think we can agree on is some way to add more control selection. I think we need to be careful that individual's sound preferences do not become codified in the driver or firmware. I believe what we need are more options over control of the speakers and sound. The default should always be as neutral and faithful to the source as possible. Listening preference should be options to adjust IMO. The issue with surround that sticks out the most to me compared to when I was using the Phoebus 7.1 with the Razer Tiamat is vocal localization. It was far better on the Tiamat. When you walked around someone and they were talking, you could close your eyes and spin around and have clearly defined direction. There literally none of the shifting tone and volume as the vocals move around. The Centurion is significantly worse (IMO) while some environmental sounds are good. Something in the way they are processing the signal isn't right. It has to be for there to be such a difference across a wide variety of titles. It would be nice to have a 5.1 option too.

XtraArrow
02-03-2018, 02:40 PM
The sub woofer for what? What I think we can agree on is some way to add more control selection. I think we need to be careful that individual's sound preferences do not become codified in the driver or firmware. I believe what we need are more options over control of the speakers and sound. The default should always be as neutral and faithful to the source as possible. Listening preference should be options to adjust IMO. The issue with surround that sticks out the most to me compared to when I was using the Phoebus 7.1 with the Razer Tiamat is vocal localization. It was far better on the Tiamat. When you walked around someone and they were talking, you could close your eyes and spin around and have clearly defined direction. There literally none of the shifting tone and volume as the vocals move around. The Centurion is significantly worse (IMO) while some environmental sounds are good. Something in the way they are processing the signal isn't right. It has to be for there to be such a difference across a wide variety of titles. It would be nice to have a 5.1 option too.

I agree with you 100% which is why i said we need at least 2.1. I really don't understand why you'd sell a pair of headphones with a .1 channel on not be able to use to it as there is rarely any 7.1 games. I have now configured a custom software to use only front channels and the sub, i have the fronts cut off at 20hz and i use the sub @ 60hz. it sounds incredible. Only if you heard what the sub is capable of you'd see what i'm saying. Head over to my forum i created and just try it.

HeavyHemi
02-03-2018, 11:54 PM
I agree with you 100% which is why i said we need at least 2.1. I really don't understand why you'd sell a pair of headphones with a .1 channel on not be able to use to it as there is rarely any 7.1 games. I have now configured a custom software to use only front channels and the sub, i have the fronts cut off at 20hz and i use the sub @ 60hz. it sounds incredible. Only if you heard what the sub is capable of you'd see what i'm saying. Head over to my forum i created and just try it.

I'm old school. My stereo listening setup is a pair of original owner early 80's vintage JBL L100T powered by the same vintage Kenwood M2A. 220 watts RMS at 0.0002 % distortion from DC to 100khz. I know what subs are capable of. I just think they don't really have a place in music but can be used to great effect in games and other media.

XtraArrow
02-04-2018, 02:22 AM
I'm old school. My stereo listening setup is a pair of original owner early 80's vintage JBL L100T powered by the same vintage Kenwood M2A. 220 watts RMS at 0.0002 % distortion from DC to 100khz. I know what subs are capable of. I just think they don't really have a place in music but can be used to great effect in games and other media.

We're talking about headphones, Having the Fronts Lows/Bass sent to the subwoofer will take stress off the front. Again, we're talking headphones so small drivers which cannot produce that low frequencies, with the sub, i'm hearing 25hz!!! pretty damn impressive.

HeavyHemi
02-04-2018, 07:00 AM
We're talking about headphones, Having the Fronts Lows/Bass sent to the subwoofer will take stress off the front. Again, we're talking headphones so small drivers which cannot produce that low frequencies, with the sub, i'm hearing 25hz!!! pretty damn impressive.

You certainly can hear down to 20hz with headphones. The top of the line headphones don't use them. I'm sorry but this is what I mean by peoples preference. You probably like huge booming overdriven bass which rattles the trim off the doors... :)...which isn't how the music was intended to sound. Believe me, with my L100T's I can knock pictures off the wall.

XtraArrow
02-04-2018, 06:31 PM
You certainly can hear down to 20hz with headphones. The top of the line headphones don't use them. I'm sorry but this is what I mean by peoples preference. You probably like huge booming overdriven bass which rattles the trim off the doors... :)...which isn't how the music was intended to sound. Believe me, with my L100T's I can knock pictures off the wall.

I've also got a pair of certain Vega xls215s paired up with a 12" sub (lw12x).. whether it's booming bass or not. Without a decent bass driver, music will sound incomplete and poor unless you listen to music without much bass but that's all preference. I think we can both agree on that this is obviously based on preference so they should at least look into it and maybe add it as an option.

MasterC@ASUS
02-06-2018, 02:04 AM
Hey HeavyHemi and XtraArrow, have you guys tested out any games?

XtraArrow
02-06-2018, 03:38 AM
Hey HeavyHemi and XtraArrow, have you guys tested out any games?

I've tested Rust and I can say it sounds amazing as it utilizes the whole 7.1. i, like many play player unknown battlegrounds and the issue is it only support 5.0 so the center or subwoofer don't work. If you can give me a list of which games to try I'll give them a shot, I've got quite a big collections as I tend to game a lot of different genres.

batty
02-07-2018, 04:08 PM
THE newest firmware has much improved the headset although it still cuts out on angles in certain games but it doesn't do it as much as b4 pub g is still bad with the cutting out.. arma 3 sounds so much better the sound in the right directions now.. cs go has base now.. the sub fires alot better but still could do with more improvement as sometimes it sounds not right tinny i guess... i haven't really tried other games yet but ill let you know what i find

MasterC@ASUS
02-09-2018, 02:30 AM
I've tested Rust and I can say it sounds amazing as it utilizes the whole 7.1. i, like many play player unknown battlegrounds and the issue is it only support 5.0 so the center or subwoofer don't work. If you can give me a list of which games to try I'll give them a shot, I've got quite a big collections as I tend to game a lot of different genres.

A big collection... excellent....
Thanks for testing the games. It would be great if you can just list 3 recent games which you can recommend to others in terms of surround sound (like Rust) and 3 which you hope to see improvement. We really want to cover only games which support surround sound since the Centurion was made to serve this purpose.

THE newest firmware has much improved the headset although it still cuts out on angles in certain games but it doesn't do it as much as b4 pub g is still bad with the cutting out.. arma 3 sounds so much better the sound in the right directions now.. cs go has base now.. the sub fires alot better but still could do with more improvement as sometimes it sounds not right tinny i guess... i haven't really tried other games yet but ill let you know what i find

Thanks for the feedback, I'll discuss this with the audio team.

Danglesnort
02-12-2018, 03:42 AM
I would like to chime in again, since I just tested the latest beta and saw no improvements in my particular games. Again, go into Overwatch training grounds, walk up to the two bots shooting under the thing, look at them, then look away. Easy to hear the problem.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of how these headphones should be working for the consumer by Asus. Considering this is a very niche product, the consumer should be given the options needed to decide how the signal frequency crossovers work. We are tweakers, enthusiasts, and nerds, give us the option!

Crossovers are a very common thing in audio. All they do is decide which frequencies get sent to which speakers (people are most familiar with this in their aftermarket car audio). Because of course, you want the tweeters getting the high frequencies, the woofers getting the low frequencies, etc.

So what's seemingly happening here with the Centurion is that Asus has not developed a way in their driver to cross over the frequencies from one channel to another in its driver (or they locked away this ability). So even though Overwatch gives me subwoofer type frequencies, because the Centurion software is based entirely on hard coded audio channels, I don't get to use the subwoofer in the headphones, so the entire game sounds like crap.

In every surround speaker system I've ever had, I have had crossover ability to solve this exact problem. I would consider it a necessity if Asus wants us to take the 7.1 seriously. Many TV's and speaker systems have automatic detection for the missing channels and adjust accordingly without user input.

Now there's something else of particular note. Subwoofers are not generally directional. This is why you can put them under your desk, or under your car seat, (or even in the trunk). We don't need a crossover for every frequency, we just need the option to pass 7.0 or 5.0 audio low frequencies into the sub. As subs are not directional anyway, it should be a very simple thing to do since they wouldn't need to blend based on direction.

Now, I don't know if this will solve the tinniness, but what I can tell you is that in my regular 7.1 speaker system, Overwatch sounds perfect, even with its 7.0 audio, because I have the option of crossing those frequencies over even though it didn't give me a dedicated sub channel.

I have not messed around with any software to mix the audio channels in windows yet to 'trick' the headphones, but I'll report back once I have.

HeavyHemi
02-15-2018, 03:16 AM
Still here folks. Let me make another suggestion to the audio team. If you listen to ANY of the standard 7.1 audio test files out there, including Dolby DTS, you can CLEARLY hear the difference in tonal quality in the rear surround speakers. Compared to a 7.1 setup with speakers or the 7.1 Tiamat with the Phoebus I used recently, the difference is unmistakable. I really think you need to solve that issue. It doesn't process 7.1 correctly when using standard 7.1 audio test files.

Listen to this 7.1 audio .wav file https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/7.1auditionOutLeader%20v2.wav. You must use a 7.1 capable program such as Power DVD or similar. Notice how the side and rear channels die out in the bass and lack depth. Then listen to simulated with Dolby 7.1 here https://youtu.be/-TdLTe_yckY you cannot miss the difference. As almost every one has pointed out rear directional and vocals are the worst of the sound stage errors that stand out.

XtraArrow
02-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Still here folks. Let me make another suggestion to the audio team. If you listen to ANY of the standard 7.1 audio test files out there, including Dolby DTS, you can CLEARLY hear the difference in tonal quality in the rear surround speakers. Compared to a 7.1 setup with speakers or the 7.1 Tiamat with the Phoebus I used recently, the difference is unmistakable. I really think you need to solve that issue. It doesn't process 7.1 correctly when using standard 7.1 audio test files.

Listen to this 7.1 audio .wav file https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/7.1auditionOutLeader%20v2.wav. You must use a 7.1 capable program such as Power DVD or similar. Notice how the side and rear channels die out in the bass and lack depth. Then listen to simulated with Dolby 7.1 here https://youtu.be/-TdLTe_yckY you cannot miss the difference. As almost every one has pointed out rear directional and vocals are the worst of the sound stage errors that stand out.

Youtube only supports Stereo so how can you compare them to each other? the youtube is probably using the front drivers, that's probably why it sounds more bassy. if you play an official 7.1 source the rear and sides nice sound almost similar to the fronts.

If you think i'm chatting of my arse. Open sonic studio whilst playing the youtube video, you'll notice ONLY the fronts will be showing.

HeavyHemi
02-15-2018, 11:54 PM
whoops repeat

HeavyHemi
02-16-2018, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=HeavyHemi;706128]Correct, it's using Dolby. I'm sorry you didn't know that. The point was SIMULATED 7.1 has the correct sound stage. True 7.1 does not and it is clearly audible.
So, there I go repeating myself. If you're using the default settings and not your modified setup you cannot miss the difference.

Try this one, use Edge browser https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-digital-plus.html

XtraArrow
02-16-2018, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=HeavyHemi;706128]Correct, it's using Dolby. I'm sorry you didn't know that. The point was SIMULATED 7.1 has the correct sound stage. True 7.1 does not and it is clearly audible.
So, there I go repeating myself. If you're using the default settings and not your modified setup you cannot miss the difference.

Try this one, use Edge browser https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-digital-plus.html

Still though, i don't see how you can compare simulated to the true 7.1. if you're that bothered, buy a pair of decent studio headphones or better yet get your headset replaced as mine on 7.1 supported games sound a lot better now after the beta driver. By the way, i don't use any modified setup whilst playing 7.1 supported content, ONLY stereo content in which i then enable the sub to handle frequencies lower than 60hz.

EDIT: after viewing your original Dolby test file, i loaded it up and listened to the guy on the channels. The only reason why they lack detail as there NOT using the LFE channel and if i recall they are ONLY 20mm drivers so they're not going to reproduce the lows as good as the center or fronts are.

HeavyHemi
02-16-2018, 06:02 AM
[QUOTE=HeavyHemi;706129]

Still though, i don't see how you can compare simulated to the true 7.1. if you're that bothered, buy a pair of decent studio headphones or better yet get your headset replaced as mine on 7.1 supported games sound a lot better now after the beta driver. By the way, i don't use any modified setup whilst playing 7.1 supported content, ONLY stereo content in which i then enable the sub to handle frequencies lower than 60hz.

EDIT: after viewing your original Dolby test file, i loaded it up and listened to the guy on the channels. The only reason why they lack detail as there NOT using the LFE channel and if i recall they are ONLY 20mm drivers so they're not going to reproduce the lows as good as the center or fronts are.

Bothered? I like how they sound in stereo. I can't believe you're yammering at me to 'buy hew headphones'...sheesh. They sound better in stereo than the TIamats by far. The issue is how bad surround is in games. Maybe you think it's better. Compared to the Tiamat used with the Xonar Phoebus it's bad. Some games it's tolerable Batman AC is okay, Bioshock is okay. Not a single game is good, mostly due to poor vocal localization and side/rear channel drops outs pretty much what everyone else is complaining about.

Bruc3
03-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Just want to tell ROG-staff that the support-site is not working with Firefox (atleast not for me)

If you want to download anything from the supportpage, it just open up a new tab with random code, in Firefox.

Chrome works, but not Firefox.

MasterC@ASUS
03-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Just want to tell ROG-staff that the support-site is not working with Firefox (atleast not for me)

If you want to download anything from the supportpage, it just open up a new tab with random code, in Firefox.

Chrome works, but not Firefox.

Thanks for reporting the issue, we'll have the team look at it.

quattroboy
03-22-2018, 10:35 AM
* *Thanks for the feedback, I'll discuss this with the audio team.

Hi folks.

I just purchased Centurions on Monday and after much tuning, I was dismayed to discover the Sub Channel not being used at all.

I contacted the Sound Developer at iRacing and discussed it with him directly and he came back to me rather amazed to see how the ROG doesn’t have a LF crossover, exactly as you guys are discussing above! All he could suggest was that I post in this thread and hope that ASUS come up with a solution soon.

I think this should be a priority, especially as this is a high end/high priced headset. In all other aspects I am very pleased with them, but this seems like a massive oversight. :)

MasterC@ASUS
03-23-2018, 01:37 AM
Hi folks.

I just purchased Centurions on Monday and after much tuning, I was dismayed to discover the Sub Channel not being used at all.

I contacted the Sound Developer at iRacing and discussed it with him directly and he came back to me rather amazed to see how the ROG doesn’t have a LF crossover, exactly as you guys are discussing above! All he could suggest was that I post in this thread and hope that ASUS come up with a solution soon.

I think this should be a priority, especially as this is a high end/high priced headset. In all other aspects I am very pleased with them, but this seems like a massive oversight. :)

If the subwoofer channel has no signal going into it, then the game or content you are playing doesn't support the 0.1 channel (as in 7.1). If bass is acquired from other channels then the sub channel wouldn't be independent anymore, it will depend on other channels to be active (we would then have to call this Centurion 7.0).

Please check that the subwoofer channel is indeed working as intended:

If you haven't already, try the beta firmware for improved bass:
https://www.asus.com/us/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/HelpDesk_Download/?_ga=2.87413976.1558390043.1521421698-329128221.1511925089

HeavyHemi
03-23-2018, 05:31 AM
If the subwoofer channel has no signal going into it, then the game or content you are playing doesn't support the 0.1 channel (as in 7.1). If bass is acquired from other channels then the sub channel wouldn't be independent anymore, it will depend on other channels to be active (we would then have to call this Centurion 7.0).

Please check that the subwoofer channel is indeed working as intended:

If you haven't already, try the beta firmware for improved bass:
https://www.asus.com/us/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/HelpDesk_Download/?_ga=2.87413976.1558390043.1521421698-329128221.1511925089

Honestly, I don't know what your team is doing. There are several popular titles out there, Fallout 4 for example were you cannot miss what is missing in the side and rear audio channels unless nobody on the team has actually worn them. It is impossible to miss on just about every game title whether it's the character voices or weapons, The side and rear become tinny . At this point, given the basic denial of even the engineers acknowledging (come on why are you STILL asking for examples when the ones provided are perfectly OBVIOUS what the problem is). I don't expect a fix. These sound great in stereo ironically enough...they are fundamentally broken in surround in my view.

MasterC@ASUS
03-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Honestly, I don't know what your team is doing. There are several popular titles out there, Fallout 4 for example were you cannot miss what is missing in the side and rear audio channels unless nobody on the team has actually worn them. It is impossible to miss on just about every game title whether it's the character voices or weapons, The side and rear become tinny . At this point, given the basic denial of even the engineers acknowledging (come on why are you STILL asking for examples when the ones provided are perfectly OBVIOUS what the problem is). I don't expect a fix. These sound great in stereo ironically enough...they are fundamentally broken in surround in my view.

Since the Centurion was created for gaming, much manual tuning is required to satisfy such a diverse collection of game titles. We still try to make sure we do not stray too far and ruin the surround sound experience when watching movies.

Please download and test out the videos below if anyone is unsure if there is something wrong with the subwoofer (0.1) channel.
https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-atmos_leaf.mp4
https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-atmos_amaze.mp4

If we deviate too much when tuning for games, properly-tuned surround sound content such as these will sound unnatural.

We are and will continue to improve the gaming experience on the Centurion, I will keep everyone up-to-date. Thanks for your feedback.

HeavyHemi
03-26-2018, 08:07 AM
Since the Centurion was created for gaming, much manual tuning is required to satisfy such a diverse collection of game titles. We still try to make sure we do not stray too far and ruin the surround sound experience when watching movies.

Please download and test out the videos below if anyone is unsure if there is something wrong with the subwoofer (0.1) channel.

If we deviate too much when tuning for games, properly-tuned surround sound content such as these will sound unnatural.

We are and will continue to improve the gaming experience on the Centurion, I will keep everyone up-to-date. Thanks for your feedback.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=712113

Sigh...why are you linking to Atmos Dolby ? Are you listening? The STEREO presentation of the headphones is fine. Atmos works fine. SIMULATED surround works fine (which uses just the two drivers). Hardware 7.1 which uses MULTIPLE DRIVERS IN THE HEADSET, does not work properly. That is the issue. Simulated and Atmos should not be affected by the tuning.

MasterC@ASUS
03-26-2018, 10:03 AM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=712113

Sigh...why are you linking to Atmos Dolby ? Are you listening? The STEREO presentation of the headphones is fine. Atmos works fine. SIMULATED surround works fine (which uses just the two drivers). Hardware 7.1 which uses MULTIPLE DRIVERS IN THE HEADSET, does not work properly. That is the issue. Simulated and Atmos should not be affected by the tuning.

Please download the videos first (bottom-right corner), and play the videos with the 7.1 button on the Audio Station enabled. You'll find that the videos are multi-channel, not stereo and not virtual surround. You can check by disabling the front channels via software or the Audio Station.

batty
03-30-2018, 08:04 AM
whens the full version come out?

DemonSoul
03-30-2018, 11:27 PM
After installing the last drivers i have the issue i described on this persons topic,
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101102-ROG-Centurion-corrupted-sound-in-Chrome&p=713288#post713288,
or you can check the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBS6l64BFQs&feature=youtu.be

quoting what i said :

but you have the same problem on the headset minut 0:20, 0.30 , when you pause the sound you can hear an "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" in the background , that happens every time you stop a music, video, after a few seconds stoping you can hear a "bzzzzz" in the background after a while it stops, if you play again and pause something same thing...

MasterC@ASUS
04-02-2018, 02:28 AM
whens the full version come out?

The next firmware is scheduled for release by the end of this month. A new thread will be created for feedback.

MasterC@ASUS
04-02-2018, 02:36 AM
After installing the last drivers i have the issue i described on this persons topic,
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101102-ROG-Centurion-corrupted-sound-in-Chrome&p=713288#post713288,
or you can check the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBS6l64BFQs&feature=youtu.be

quoting what i said :

but you have the same problem on the headset minut 0:20, 0.30 , when you pause the sound you can hear an "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" in the background , that happens every time you stop a music, video, after a few seconds stoping you can hear a "bzzzzz" in the background after a while it stops, if you play again and pause something same thing...

The person in the other thread indicated that the issue has been resolved.

In your case, did the issue begin after you installed the latest firmware or software?
Does the issue exist only in Chrome?
Tried reinstalling Windows and Chrome?
If you haven't already tried, test the Centurion on other PCs to verify. We cannot replicate this issue at this time.

DemonSoul
04-02-2018, 03:36 AM
The person in the other thread indicated that the issue has been resolved.

In your case, did the issue begin after you installed the latest firmware or software?
Does the issue exist only in Chrome?
Tried reinstalling Windows and Chrome?
If you haven't already tried, test the Centurion on other PCs to verify. We cannot replicate this issue at this time.

- I know that the person issue was fixed i was just using his video so that i could say what was happening on mine.

- So i installed again the beta drivers, and its horrible, on the exact moment i re-plug in the phones i constantly hear an "wind effect or an buzzz" (the same exact sound you can hear on that guy videos on the minutes i referred to (start of the video,10 seconds-till 12 seconds, 20 till 24, 30 till 34) non-stop, and if it stops, if i hear some type of sound (discord talking, music,etc) something that "activates" the phones the sound starts buzzing like hell again for a few seconds/or none stop.

- No i didn't try to reinstall windows lol, i can try and do it, but i seriously doubt it's going to help on anything because I'm back to the drives 1.5 i can hear the "wind effect or an buzzz" really far away and its way lower than on the 1.7 drivers , i can't stand the sound on the 1.7 it's constantly with the buzzing/wind

I don't have any other computer that i can test them.

But on my part once again it's unbearable to be with the 1.7 drivers, is there any way i can record what i'm hearing from my headphones? So i can show you the major difference between the 1.5 and 1.7.

batty
04-04-2018, 04:41 PM
The next firmware is scheduled for release by the end of this month. A new thread will be created for feedback.

thanks for the update i hope with the next the micophone is a little clearer too as it is still got a bit of muffle in it

Reefboi16
04-05-2018, 11:59 PM
thanks for the update i hope with the next the micophone is a little clearer too as it is still got a bit of muffle in it

+1 to this one, people always ask me what is wrong with my mic, kind of sucks because I love the audio wish the mic was better.

Reefboi16
04-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Question , Why is it that my box has the H9 model but the headset it self has H6?

HeavyHemi
05-01-2018, 01:07 AM
Are we getting close? I'm not a absolute stickler for schedules...but then again, the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

MasterC@ASUS
05-02-2018, 06:19 AM
Question , Why is it that my box has the H9 model but the headset it self has H6?

For microphone replacements, you'll need to check the serial number on the box. The SNs are different since the packaging and hardware are manufactured by different parties.

MasterC@ASUS
05-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Are we getting close? I'm not a absolute stickler for schedules...but then again, the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Sorry for the delay, the new firmware is coming but has been postponed due to a reported bug. Very few reports were reported, but we will resolve this issue before its release.

batty
05-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Sorry for the delay, the new firmware is coming but has been postponed due to a reported bug. Very few reports were reported, but we will resolve this issue before its release.

thanks for the update its good to know that you guys are still working on it

MightyRan
05-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Any ETA?

batty
05-16-2018, 03:49 AM
any eta?

eta eta eta!!!!

MasterC@ASUS
05-21-2018, 04:04 AM
eta eta eta!!!!

To avoid giving everyone false expectations - the new firmware will not be ready for another couple of months. I will keep you guys updated. Apologize for the delay.

HeavyHemi
05-21-2018, 08:10 AM
To avoid giving everyone false expectations - the new firmware will not be ready for another couple of months. I will keep you guys updated. Apologize for the delay.

Too late "The next firmware is scheduled for release by the end of this month"

You already did that...now it is so long away it will be irrelevant. Thanks for nothing for your premium product. Hire more people.
Secondarily, if this is such a rare bug, why not let others test it? After all, it will be a BETA right? Sheesh....Really.

mikev190
05-21-2018, 03:00 PM

This is stupid. So premium headset (Which most people have had to RMA at one point) has to wait months again for a update. What about updating the driver and software as well?

Had this nonsense with the ASUS Crosshair VI and the sensors. I spent over £1000 on ASUS products last year and all of them have been a joke and nothing more than false promises. Next thing to go wrong will be my PG279Q.

Avoid ASUS people, they've really gone downhill.

MasterC@ASUS
05-22-2018, 10:07 AM
This is stupid. So premium headset (Which most people have had to RMA at one point) has to wait months again for a update. What about updating the driver and software as well?

Had this nonsense with the ASUS Crosshair VI and the sensors. I spent over £1000 on ASUS products last year and all of them have been a joke and nothing more than false promises. Next thing to go wrong will be my PG279Q.

Avoid ASUS people, they've really gone downhill.

It was nice of you to share your nice experience with the Centurion, is there something bothering you since you made your last post?

I thought I'd share my positive experience too.

I bought my original set from overclockers UK and they were H3. Initial they were great (minus the mic) however after a few months, both side channels and the rear left channel stopped working.

I was a bit upset due to all the years of owning ASUS products with no issue. However I spoke to MasterC and he advised me to contact Overclockers.

They tested and within 2 weeks I had my shiny new H9 replacement. The headset just is amazing with the new firmware, I hear everything and so many suckers die in PUBG due to me hearing them.

Just want to credit both ASUS and OverclockersUK for the fast turnover. It's resparked my drive for gaming,

Thanks

HeavyHemi
05-24-2018, 05:42 AM
It was nice of you to share your nice experience with the Centurion, is there something bothering you since you made your last post?

I thought I'd share my positive experience too.

I bought my original set from overclockers UK and they were H3. Initial they were great (minus the mic) however after a few months, both side channels and the rear left channel stopped working.

I was a bit upset due to all the years of owning ASUS products with no issue. However I spoke to MasterC and he advised me to contact Overclockers.

They tested and within 2 weeks I had my shiny new H9 replacement. The headset just is amazing with the new firmware, I hear everything and so many suckers die in PUBG due to me hearing them.

Just want to credit both ASUS and OverclockersUK for the fast turnover. It's resparked my drive for gaming,

Thanks

What does doing the NORMAL thing of replacing a DEFECTIVE product have to do with gaming? It is like you're blaming us or playing some sort of victim game because of inaction by ASUS. It isn't personal to you so, why make it personal? I can only blame you for raising expectation with your premature release announcement. That is on you. The delay of course is not. But, seriously this is JUST ONE SINGLE MODEL and it is months and months for just a driver for just one piece of hardware? THAT is what upsets people. As fast as tech moves, you're basically obsolete the product at it's release date by refusing to fix what anyone with a pair of ears can hear.

MasterC@ASUS
05-24-2018, 06:44 AM
What does doing the NORMAL thing of replacing a DEFECTIVE product have to do with gaming? It is like you're blaming us or playing some sort of victim game because of inaction by ASUS. It isn't personal to you so, why make it personal? I can only blame you for raising expectation with your premature release announcement. That is on you. The delay of course is not. But, seriously this is JUST ONE SINGLE MODEL and it is months and months for just a driver for just one piece of hardware? THAT is what upsets people. As fast as tech moves, you're basically obsolete the product at it's release date by refusing to fix what anyone with a pair of ears can hear.

Again, we apologize for the delay. Before the next firmware is released, I'd just like to collect feedback again for what you consider is defective. Technically, all defective microphones have been replaced and the headset is working as it should when properly-tuned content is played (Dolby sample videos links were already provided for you to test). If for any reason, your microphone is still defective or the videos below do not play correctly, just let me know.

If using Chrome, please download the videos first (bottom-right corner), and play the videos with the 7.1 button on the Audio Station enabled. You'll find that the videos are multi-channel, not stereo, and not virtual surround. You can check by disabling the front channels via software or the Audio Station.

If you have DOOM, definitely check out the 7.1 surround sound in the game, works nicely. We cannot promise that every game can output 7.1 channels, this is decided by game developers. The Centurion cannot produce more channels than what games offer. We do not decide how much bass is redirected to the subwoofer channel or when surround channels are active. We offer a true 7.1 platform, so developers have the freedom to decide which channels are active and when the subwoofer needs to compensate for surround channels. The size of all drivers have been designed to simulate home theater setups - largest for front and subwoofer, followed by the center for vocals, then the surround channels, so you get the same cinematic experience.

Reefboi16
05-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Again, we apologize for the delay. Before the next firmware is released, I'd just like to collect feedback again for what you consider is defective. Technically, all defective microphones have been replaced and the headset is working as it should when properly-tuned content is played (Dolby sample videos links were already provided for you to test). If for any reason, your microphone is still defective or the videos below do not play correctly, just let me know.

If using Chrome, please download the videos first (bottom-right corner), and play the videos with the 7.1 button on the Audio Station enabled. You'll find that the videos are multi-channel, not stereo, and not virtual surround. You can check by disabling the front channels via software or the Audio Station.

If you have DOOM, definitely check out the 7.1 surround sound in the game, works nicely. We cannot promise that every game can output 7.1 channels, this is decided by game developers. The Centurion cannot produce more channels than what games offer. We do not decide how much bass is redirected to the subwoofer channel or when surround channels are active. We offer a true 7.1 platform, so developers have the freedom to decide which channels are active and when the subwoofer needs to compensate for surround channels. The size of all drivers have been designed to simulate home theater setups - largest for front and subwoofer, followed by the center for vocals, then the surround channels, so you get the same cinematic experience.

pretty sure I have tried talking to you about my “revised” mic still being terrible. People constantly saying they can barely hear me. That I sound like I’m in a tin can etc. I have tried all the mic boosting tips provided by ASUS, reinstalled drivers, tried different USB ports. All end up with same result. Just sucks for such a nice headset to have a crap mic. Had to go out and purchase a stand-alone mic. Not asking for a perfect mic but one that can be used would be nice.*

spadizzle
05-24-2018, 05:35 PM
pretty sure I have tried talking to you about my “revised” mic still being terrible. People constantly saying they can barely hear me. That I sound like I’m in a tin can etc. I have tried all the mic boosting tips provided by ASUS, reinstalled drivers, tried different USB ports. All end up with same result. Just sucks for such a nice headset to have a crap mic. Had to go out and purchase a stand-alone mic. Not asking for a perfect mic but one that can be used would be nice.*

Silly question, but you increased gain, correct? Default is way to low and I set mine to 80. Everyone states that they can hear me just fine.

Reefboi16
05-25-2018, 04:44 AM
Silly question, but you increased gain, correct? Default is way to low and I set mine to 80. Everyone states that they can hear me just fine.

yea I have messed with those settings, and in discord, and in the sonic software too.

MasterC@ASUS
05-25-2018, 06:44 AM
Tried turning Noise Gate down or off?
Already received a headset replacement or RMA?

Reefboi16
05-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Tried turning Noise Gate down or off?
Already received a headset replacement or RMA?

Have turned noise gate down and off. Have not received RMA, it is one with a H9 “revised mic”. It wouldn’t bother me if it wasn’t people constantly saying “what did you say” or “huh”.

MasterC@ASUS
05-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Have turned noise gate down and off. Have not received RMA, it is one with a H9 “revised mic”. It wouldn’t bother me if it wasn’t people constantly saying “what did you say” or “huh”.

To be sure, does the serial number on your box start with H9? I can't replicate this issue, is anyone else on the same boat?

If you have tried all the settings, perhaps the best thing to do now is RMA and see if the issue is hardware.

HeavyHemi
05-29-2018, 08:32 PM

Check to see if there is only one of the three 'holes' where the mic should be on the boom open. Mine, had only the one hole open, I manually opened the other two myself and now the mic is perfect. I'm not recommending you do this as I have the tools, but if two of the holes are blocked that is probably your issue.

mikev190
05-30-2018, 12:17 PM

It's the fact that, while the turnover was quick I had still 2 weeks without a headset and no compensation. Bare in mind they was less that a year old on a £230 headset. Which I was willing to ignore till:

The the lack of drivers and firmware is beyond stupid. I mean there's been 2 builds of windows 10 since the drivers were released. It's just false promises from ASUS and trying to blame me is not helping. The OP I made was when you promised to have the new FW out. Not months later

I know this:- I wont buy anything ASUS again and I'll make sure all my friends and customers know why. Anyone who buys a premium headset should get the premium service. I mean on the Crosshair VI we have only just got the beta bios over 12 months later to fix the sensors.... I'm starting to see a bad trend with ASUS support

Reefboi16
05-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Check to see if there is only one of the three 'holes' where the mic should be on the boom open. Mine, had only the one hole open, I manually opened the other two myself and now the mic is perfect. I'm not recommending you do this as I have the tools, but if two of the holes are blocked that is probably your issue.

Have not tried to RMA yet. Yes, mic only has one hole. I can probably do it my question is when punching other two holes how to I prevent debris from going into the mic itself? I feel as if that happened opening the holes did nothing.

MasterC@ASUS
05-31-2018, 03:41 AM
We strongly advise against drilling holes in the mic boom, the mic is very sensitive and the design is as such for good reason. Please try moving the adjustable mic to an optimal position for best results. If you are adamant about drilling extra holes, best to RMA first so our local team can check it before you void the warranty.

batty
05-31-2018, 03:11 PM

thats good to know i now i dont have to check everyday like i was as for the mic quality even the revision mic is still not as good as the strix 7.1 headset mic with mine sounding with alot of base and a little muffled still...

HeavyHemi
06-01-2018, 04:10 AM
Have not tried to RMA yet. Yes, mic only has one hole. I can probably do it my question is when punching other two holes how to I prevent debris from going into the mic itself? I feel as if that happened opening the holes did nothing.

You don't 'punch' them. I have probably a thousand different exacto knives plus other model building tools, a micro-min repair station....You basically, with a lighted magnifier, carefully carve out the centers to the same diameter as the existing hole. It is actually hollow underneath them so you do not have to go that deep. I used a solder sucker to remove any debris as I worked. Took about a half hour. If you're not confident in your abilities, I wouldn't do it. However since mine is a H7 serial I figure the odds of getting something with a worse issue was 50/50. :p

MightyRan
07-16-2018, 09:41 PM

Almost two months passed. Any news now?

MirukiKun
07-27-2018, 08:08 PM

any chance to have a function when you press the 7.1 button on the station, when switching between 7.1 and 2.0, while in 2.0 would be nice if all the speakers in the headset (drivers) including sub, would be connected and get the sound threw. at the moment with the beta driver only front speakers get sound threw while in 2.0 mode.

MasterC@ASUS
07-30-2018, 01:33 AM
The new firmware went through a few revisions, and is now in the testing phase. No ETA will be given at this time.
Downmix for stereo speakers will be implemented, but stereo effects will not be available through all channels in the headset. All drivers resonating in sync can cause excess vibrations and undesirable sounds. In the new firmware, this is one of the bigger challenges when altering the LFE channel to output the low frequencies from multiple drivers. While it's fine for some games, bass can be overbearing for others. While heavy bass might be okay in a home theater with good acoustics, headsets have confined space to work with. Imagine placing 10 subwoofers in your living room, sure I'd like to try it to see what happens, but it's not something I'd listen to regularly.

spadizzle
07-30-2018, 01:47 AM
So your saying the, "brains oozing out of our ears" isn't going into the next firmware? THATS IT, IM TRASHING THIS! *plugs in the free headphones I stole from the airplane*

MasterC@ASUS
07-30-2018, 02:02 AM
So your saying the, "brains oozing out of our ears" isn't going into the next firmware? THATS IT, IM TRASHING THIS! *plugs in the free headphones I stole from the airplane*

I can say that the new firmware will have a surround mode with a lot of bass if you'd like to have brains oozing out of your ears. The purpose of the previous post was mainly about downmix and stereo in all channels.

HeavyHemi
07-30-2018, 08:15 PM
The new firmware went through a few revisions, and is now in the testing phase. No ETA will be given at this time.
Downmix for stereo speakers will be implemented, but stereo effects will not be available through all channels in the headset. All drivers resonating in sync can cause excess vibrations and undesirable sounds. In the new firmware, this is one of the bigger challenges when altering the LFE channel to output the low frequencies from multiple drivers. While it's fine for some games, bass can be overbearing for others. While heavy bass might be okay in a home theater with good acoustics, headsets have confined space to work with. Imagine placing 10 subwoofers in your living room, sure I'd like to try it to see what happens, but it's not something I'd listen to regularly.

What people are asking for is the option to change the LFE output not as the default state. It helps a lot in curing the issue with the side and rear surround sounding tinny, especially character voices and ambient sounds such as water. For example, the Razer Tiamat, allows you to change this so you can compensate for games that lack proper implementation of low frequency surround. Their sound was quite good in surround in just about every scenario. However, they are not as good as the Centurion in stereo for music and they had a faint background whine. So adding an OPTION to control this would really be a plus.

MasterC@ASUS
08-01-2018, 01:58 AM
What people are asking for is the option to change the LFE output not as the default state. It helps a lot in curing the issue with the side and rear surround sounding tinny, especially character voices and ambient sounds such as water. For example, the Razer Tiamat, allows you to change this so you can compensate for games that lack proper implementation of low frequency surround. Their sound was quite good in surround in just about every scenario. However, they are not as good as the Centurion in stereo for music and they had a faint background whine. So adding an OPTION to control this would really be a plus.

More options for customizations do make sense, and I have already relayed this to the audio team in the past. Unfortunately, such changes to the firmware and software will only be under consideration for future products.

batty
08-11-2018, 12:55 PM
More options for customizations do make sense, and I have already relayed this to the audio team in the past. Unfortunately, such changes to the firmware and software will only be under consideration for future products.

is there any new beta tests drivers/firmware we can test out?

batty
08-25-2018, 06:47 AM
for some reason the microphone sounds 100x better when the drivers are uninstalled but as soon as drivers are on the mic goes to ****

HeavyHemi
08-26-2018, 04:40 PM
for some reason the microphone sounds 100x better when the drivers are uninstalled but as soon as drivers are on the mic goes to ****

Check the microphone settings in Sonic Studio. Noisegating and Perfect voice are on by default. Nice of them to confirm that, even though this is their Premium headset, they are dropping driver support. Regretting ever buying ASUS. Their support team sucks. I can deal with defects. They happen. I don't like dealing with support that basically says, even though we could add those features to the product with almost no effort, we'll save them for our next ROG, overblown 'Premium' product, or repeating the same nonsense back to you as if they did not even read what you posted. Ridiculous for a PREMIUM PRODUCT.

Reefboi16
09-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Check the microphone settings in Sonic Studio. Noisegating and Perfect voice are on by default. Nice of them to confirm that, even though this is their Premium headset, they are dropping driver support. Regretting ever buying ASUS. Their support team sucks. I can deal with defects. They happen. I don't like dealing with support that basically says, even though we could add those features to the product with almost no effort, we'll save them for our next ROG, overblown 'Premium' product, or repeating the same nonsense back to you as if they did not even read what you posted. Ridiculous for a PREMIUM PRODUCT.

Wait, they are stopping driver support? WTF this thing was not cheap this is BS if true.

mikev190
09-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Well guys it is over for me with this piss poor headset.

I had to RMA a few months ago as you can see in past posts, well the replacment set didn't even last 6 months (H9 revision).

The mic died on me for no reason, then things got weirder and it started making my Razer mouse and mouse mat go mental. Soon as I removed the headset things were back to normal.

Fact is, the sound is ****, no matter what way you try to coat it, they are cheaply made and poorly supported all at a premium price tag. Not only that both me and my dad (who bought the same ones) have gone through 3 in less than 12 months! To add insult to injury I also had a premium ASUS router which had to be returned (Replaced with a linksys one).

So for anyone who is considering purchasing I'd avoid like the plauge. I'm going to be replacing these with the SteelSeries Arctis Pro. They get way better reviews. Not only that my old cheap Arctis 5 headset is still going strong years later.

So big middle finger to you ASUS, you have lost a loyal fan your support is crap. BTW thanks to Overclockers UK for giving me a full refund!

MightyRan
09-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Still nothing. Waiting since February now, and it get continuosly postponed. This is becoming a joke.

HeavyHemi
09-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Still nothing. Waiting since February now, and it get continuosly postponed. This is becoming a joke.

Yep, apparently ROG now stands for Republic of Greed. The got our $$ for a premium product and we get told to STFU buy our next Premium product if the POS doesn't work and we won't support it... and like what we give er DON'T give you.

varnavas
09-10-2018, 04:54 AM
any news so many reports for this headset and no one from asus come to give us any information why ? :(

mikev190
09-15-2018, 07:51 AM
Just a quick update, I ended up going for the HyperX cloud revolvers and they are in a different league to the Centurions.

So much clearer, no BS software and the best bit is the virtual 7.1 is better due to better clarity and way higher frequency range. If you can refund get the HyperX and have around £100 in your pocket and no BS support to put up with

MightyRan
09-24-2018, 01:05 PM
Not a single word from ASUS in almost two months.... pathetic.

MasterC@ASUS
09-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Apologies for the delay due to other product releases. To provide everyone with an update - the new firmware is ready, but currently going through testing. I will release it once that is complete.

Please note that the new firmware will not have an official release, so it will only be available here on the ROG Forum. The new firmware was only created to accommodate users who do not care whether the Centurion is true 7.1. Although true 7.1 is still available, how the headset functions will differ from what was advertised.

For those still concerned about whether the new firmware will be as anticipated, I can confirm that the volume for all surround channels has been increased dramatically and the bass from those channels is rerouted to the subwoofer channel (crossover).

MightyRan
09-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Apologies for the delay due to other product releases. To provide everyone with an update - the new firmware is ready, but currently going through testing. I will release it once that is complete.

Please note that the new firmware will not have an official release, so it will only be available here on the ROG Forum. The new firmware was only created to accommodate users who do not care whether the Centurion is true 7.1. Although true 7.1 is still available, how the headset functions will differ from what was advertised.

For those still concerned about whether the new firmware will be as anticipated, I can confirm that the volume for all surround channels has been increased dramatically and the bass from those channels is rerouted to the subwoofer channel (crossover).

What about the downmix for stereo speakers anticipated months ago?

HeavyHemi
09-29-2018, 07:34 PM

Thank you. And please, we understand this. What we've always asked for is the OPTION to get around limitations in games. We KNOW that it isn't correct by standard 7.1. And WE KNOW it isn't the fault of the headset per se'. We do care, that it is TRUE 7.1. ( are you really attacking users with this screeching?) The fault is in the lack of the OPTIONS, USER CONTROL to change the behavior so we can work around the game limitations. I wish ASUS and their reps would learn this as a corp motto: More user options are better. Lastly, stop leaving the impression that listening to your customers is a hassle, 'MasterC'. You're paid to serve us not complain we're asking for an option other true 7.1 headsets have had to get around this KNOWN ISSUE.. Hardware great, interface...meh.

alucard_x22
10-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Is it possible to connect asus rog centurion to a android phone by otg? if it runs caput my battery so fast? thanks

MasterC@ASUS
10-11-2018, 05:41 AM
What about the downmix for stereo speakers anticipated months ago?

Downmix for stereo speakers has been implemented also, so you can use the audio station to switch between the headset and stereo speakers for output.

MasterC@ASUS
10-11-2018, 05:47 AM
Is it possible to connect asus rog centurion to a android phone by otg? if it runs caput my battery so fast? thanks

The Centurion is only supported on PC and Mac.

MasterC@ASUS
10-11-2018, 06:34 AM
The new beta firmware is now available:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105432-ROG-Centurion-MCU2-2-DSP2-4-Modified-firmware-with-crossover-amp-downmix

Javisoft
01-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Great Firmware !!

MasterC@ASUS
01-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Great Firmware !!

Glad you approve!

Javisoft
01-27-2019, 06:14 PM
¿Will there be any new or updated software?

MasterC@ASUS
01-28-2019, 06:22 AM
¿Will there be any new or updated software?

The previous customer firmware released was the final update. Do you have any issues?

Javisoft
01-28-2019, 07:12 PM
The previous customer firmware released was the final update. Do you have any issues?

No, everything is fine, my headphones are replacement, since I suffered the microphone problem.

Now I do not suffer, it is not a microphone at the height of 250 euros I paid, but it is decent, I expected more that yes.

My question was related to the drivers, to Sonic Studio, I notice that it opens very slowly, it costs a lot of seconds and I fear that it will not be updated more for future versions of Windows 10.

The last update is from 7/19/2017 and it would be great to add some of the things I've read around here.

It would be enough for me to open it from the taskbar faster, otherwise I am happy.

A greeting MasterC !!!