PDA

View Full Version : Asus G701VI unlocked BIOS V304

cnsnlg
09-06-2017, 04:38 AM
Hi all,

I am a DevSecOps professional and needed a powerful laptop, running Linux as native OS. Picked up the G701VI.

The main reason you cannot install Linux into this laptop, is because of its Raid 0 configuration of the Rapid Storage Controller.
Linux has drivers for NVMe devices but does not yet support Rapid Storage Controllers Raid. The only solution is to break the Raid and use your NVMe disks as separate ones.

In order to break the Raid, I needed to "unlock" the Bios, go to Sata settings and DISABLE Sata Controller.
I also unlocked every option seemed a bit interesting, including all overclocking settings.

You can find my unlocked Bios here:

https://github.com/ElDudorino/Asus-G701VI-Bios

Upgrading your Bios with a modded one may void your warranty.
I am not responsible if you brick your laptop.

Happy Linux Overclocking.

merocom
03-31-2018, 04:17 AM
Hi all,

I am a DevSecOps professional and needed a powerful laptop, running Linux as native OS. Picked up the G701VI.

The main reason you cannot install Linux into this laptop, is because of its Raid 0 configuration of the Rapid Storage Controller.
Linux has drivers for NVMe devices but does not yet support Rapid Storage Controllers Raid. The only solution is to break the Raid and use your NVMe disks as separate ones.

In order to break the Raid, I needed to "unlock" the Bios, go to Sata settings and DISABLE Sata Controller.
I also unlocked every option seemed a bit interesting, including all overclocking settings.

You can find my unlocked Bios here:

https://github.com/ElDudorino/Asus-G701VI-Bios

Upgrading your Bios with a modded one may void your warranty.
I am not responsible if you brick your laptop.

Happy Linux Overclocking.

i'm trying to unlocked my bios but not accepted

cnsnlg
04-15-2018, 10:28 PM
I am sorry for the delay.
Could you be more specific?
Have you tried my bios or tried to crack your own?

merocom
04-17-2018, 09:36 AM
I am sorry for the delay.
Could you be more specific?
Have you tried my bios or tried to crack your own?

both your bios and my own but not accepted

merocom
04-17-2018, 09:38 AM
can you help me if i send to you my original BIOS file and you try to modded coz i'm trying many times but nothing
My laptop : Asus rog G701VIK
Bios : 305 last updated
Thanks

merocom
04-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Hello

merocom
04-20-2018, 02:25 AM
no i modded my bios and afudos no errors just only
18-error : unable to start a secure flash session

???

merocom
04-25-2018, 01:26 PM
please im trying to contact you but i don't see u available here
im still waiting ur reply

merocom
04-27-2018, 06:19 AM
hello,
can I contact u at messenger or whatsApp
Thanks

merocom
04-28-2018, 07:17 AM
AFUWIN64.exe not working with me it's hanging windows and restart .
I'am using AFUDOS :
i got this message :
System ROM Secure Flash = Enable

merocom
04-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Last update :
finally i could used AFUWIN but i got this message :
18- Error : Secure Flash Rom Verify fail.

????

hadarych
04-29-2018, 10:39 PM
Last update :

????
Would be grateful, if you succeed in flashing and write a note in this thread

cnsnlg
05-07-2018, 07:45 PM
I suspect your BIOS is not equal to the original size. I suggest to update to the latest original BIOS,
then create a rom backup from the installed BIOS
and try to edit that one.

hadarych
05-08-2018, 11:12 AM
I suspect your BIOS is not equal to the original size. I suggest to update to the latest original BIOS,
then create a rom backup from the installed BIOS
and try to edit that one.

I've tried both dump from my bios (updated to last one) and rom downloaded from Asus support page. Each time it was "18 - Error : Secure Flash Rom Verify fail". What chipset do you have? And what generation of CPU?

merocom
05-08-2018, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=hadarych;718877]I've tried both dump from my bios (updated to last one) and rom downloaded from Asus support page. Each time it was "18 - Error : Secure Flash Rom Verify fail". What chipset do you have? And what generation

Im trying both with cap and without cap but same error secure flash i think the problem is bios write protected*

hadarych
05-12-2018, 02:16 AM
Does anyone know how to disable this protection? That would be very helpful

cnsnlg
05-12-2018, 09:36 PM
In the setup tab of AFUWINGUI you will find a check box named "Recovery" into the "Miscellaneous" groupbox.
Enable the checkbox and try again. It should bypass the secure flash policy

hadarych
05-13-2018, 01:57 AM
In the setup tab of AFUWINGUI you will find a check box named "Recovery" into the "Miscellaneous" groupbox.
Enable the checkbox and try again. It should bypass the secure flash policy
Won't it damage the process of flashing? Don't want my laptop to become a brick...

merocom
05-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Won't it damage the process of flashing? Don't want my laptop to become a brick...

No, it's not already i'm trying it and it's continue flashing but after restart nothing changed to BIOS same old setting !!!!

hadarych
05-13-2018, 08:28 AM
No, it's not already i'm trying it and it's continue flashing but after restart nothing changed to BIOS same old setting !!!!

Guess now we are on the next level :cool:
So we have to apply new settings integration now.

Did you choose USER or SUPERVISOR in AmiBCP?

merocom
05-13-2018, 11:43 AM
guess now we are on the next level :cool:
So we have to apply new settings integration now.

Did you choose user or supervisor in amibcp?

user

hadarych
05-13-2018, 02:08 PM
user

Soon I will get my SPI programmer (just to have backup, not for flashing). Then I will try everything to unlock bios (using AFUWIN/AFUDOS). Will upload here all information I can gather

hadarych
05-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Tried to flash bios via AFUDOS with option /RECOVERY – still the same mistake: "18 - Error : Secure Flash Rom Verify fail". So I guess recovery override is not working on our bios. Will try SPI programmer soon...

hadarych
05-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Last update :

????

By the way how did you manage to open AFUWIN? I always get my Windows freezed and then I make hard restart with pwr button.

merocom
05-14-2018, 08:49 AM
By the way how did you manage to open AFUWIN? I always get my Windows freezed and then I make hard restart with pwr button.

I am using AFUWIN64_v3.05.04. and just change compatibility mode to Windows Vista should be run normally.
Sometimes working normally and sometimes Windows freezed.

hadarych
05-15-2018, 07:44 AM
I am using AFUWIN64_v3.05.04. and just change compatibility mode to Windows Vista should be run normally.
Sometimes working normally and sometimes Windows freezed.

I guess I would just wait for my SPI programmer, it will arrive in a couple of days. Then I will run some experiments not being afraid of breaking anything.
I also wrote Dreamonic (he managed to flash unlocked bios on GX800VH with similar CPU+chipset system with write-protection) a message half a month ago, but he hasn't shown up on forum since March, so I would not wait for his reply (but I will publish his answer as soon as he writes me back). I will try every way to flash bios before using SPI programmer itself, then I will upload report of my success or failure here. Just wait a bit, guys.
By the way, SPI programmer CH341A is quite cheap, so if you are not afraid of disassembling your laptop by yourself – I guess that would be the best option. I will also mention here if I manage to modify bios dump captured by programmer (using AMIBCP of course).

P.S.: I'm from Russia, so please let me know if my writings are not understandable :)

P.P.S: If anyone knows where I can find bios chip on G752VSK motherboard – tell me please. That would be a great help. Photos are very welcome!
Or at least on other ROG laptops, any tips would help me find my bios chip and continue my attempts.

hadarych
05-20-2018, 03:38 AM
Ok, now we know that bios chip (W25Q80DV) of G752VSK and, probably, all other recently manufactured G-series laptops can not be flashed (or even read) by CH341A SPI-programmer. What a shame.
I will search for the SPI-programmer that is capable of flashing our chips. Also we still can wait for Dreamonic answer.

merocom
05-22-2018, 08:12 AM
I’m trying to replace SSD by HDD and trying to install linux on HDD as a dual boot*

Falkentyne
06-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Ok, now we know that bios chip (W25Q80DV) of G752VSK and, probably, all other recently manufactured G-series laptops can not be flashed (or even read) by CH341A SPI-programmer. What a shame.
I will search for the SPI-programmer that is capable of flashing our chips. Also we still can wait for Dreamonic answer.

Don't use a cheap mickey mouse programmer.
Use a good programmer like a Skypro.
it supports it. You can't keep trying to buy value programmers and expecting them to work!!!

http://coright.com/

Buy a Pomona 5250 IC clip and some male to female jumper cables to hook up the Pomona clip to the Skypro without needing any adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2WWHQ25ENKVJ1&psc=1
Might also want to grab a 1.8v adapter in case you want to mess around with Pascal or Volta/Ampere video card vbioses (they require 1.8v adapter).

hadarych
06-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Don't use a cheap mickey mouse programmer.
Use a good programmer like a Skypro.
it supports it. You can't keep trying to buy value programmers and expecting them to work!!!

http://coright.com/

Buy a Pomona 5250 IC clip and some male to female jumper cables to hook up the Pomona clip to the Skypro without needing any adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2WWHQ25ENKVJ1&psc=1
Might also want to grab a 1.8v adapter in case you want to mess around with Pascal or Volta/Ampere video card vbioses (they require 1.8v adapter).

Interesting. Thank you! Will try it (during summer I hope) and upload results