PDA

View Full Version : G752vt high temps, thermal paste suggestions?

Stoopidninja
09-07-2017, 03:13 AM
Hello. So I've had my VT for about a year and a half now and temps are getting really high. Like 90C+ high and I'm absolutely sure it's in need of a repaste now. Went to my local ROG partnered repair shop but they ran out of thermal paste and told me to bring them one myself since their stocks aren't going to be renewed till next week. So I'd like to ask what's the best or should I say most efficient one I should get ? Also, does anyone know of an in-depth tutorial with regards to opening, de-dusting and repasting G752s so I can research and maybe do it myself in the future? Would appreciate any help I'd get. Thank you.

Darnassus
09-07-2017, 03:49 PM
If you've not dismantled a laptop to ground, don't do it with the G752.. or any gaming laptop until you've done it a few times with crap laptops... and by crap, I mean.. at least still fully functional, so you can test whether it still works or not..

I use MX-4, safe all round, can't do wrong. People will recommend IC Diamond though, it's abrasive and can cause damage to sinks but it surely does its job.

Another is Grizzly, and Tunix, and finally.. liquid metal by Coolabratory.

Up to you. But if you want to dismantle yourself you'll need to be a Smaartninja.

Spirery1
09-07-2017, 04:36 PM
my G752vy 8gb gets to 90+on extreme only way around it is to stick fans on full using FN/PG/UP or scroll lock on usb keyboard asked asus they said its safe upto 100c wish they stuck a fan program like afterburner to keep cpu and gpu cooler my problem is cpu my gpu is fine but no way im going to redo paste on a 2 week old laptop lol

james.ye
09-07-2017, 08:11 PM
@Stoopidninja
There are tons of guide videos for dismantling G752 in youtube. Find the one you are able to follow and comprehend the steps!

If you never dismantle a laptop or any complex electronic before, I suggest you not to do it yourself unless you are confident. If you have an old working laptop, it is better. Like you were suggested, try to dismantle the old laptop to clean up and re-paste thermal, and see if it still is working.

As far as thermal paste compound goes, Arctic Silver 5 and IC Diamond (although there were bad reviews about pc parts getting damaged) are most popular i think. Currently I'm using Arctic MX-4 (carbon-based) and I personally wouldn't recommend to you as it does not perform well under peak temperature (your laptop is having overheating issue and MX-4 might not be the best for you.) I would recommend you to get either Ceramic (favorable for your situation) or metal based thermal paste. example: Noctua NT-H1 (ceramic), Arctic Silver 5 (ceramic).

Nate152
09-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best non conductive thermal compound and is what I use.

https://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

Korth
09-08-2017, 04:00 AM
I've never used new stuff like Grizzly, lol, but old stuff like Arctic Silver 5 and Gelid Extreme have served me well in mobile devices.

One parameter not discussed in TIM benchmarks/comparisons is their longevity. I know that an application of AS5 lasts several years and an application of Gelid lasts many months, I've seen other performance TIMs which are phenomenal but which cook off relatively quickly. Servicing a tech-heavy laptop is a bit of a time-consuming chore I'd rather not have to repeat more often than necessary - I do enough "dull" tech work at work, I don't want to also do it at home - although other people do enjoy doing such things. Just saying that if you choose something (with "unknown" longevity) like Grizzly then be prepared to do it all over again just a few months down the road.

Darnassus
09-08-2017, 05:02 AM
my G752vy 8gb gets to 90+on extreme only way around it is to stick fans on full using FN/PG/UP or scroll lock on usb keyboard asked asus they said its safe upto 100c wish they stuck a fan program like afterburner to keep cpu and gpu cooler my problem is cpu my gpu is fine but no way im going to redo paste on a 2 week old laptop lol

It's not 2 weeks old..

It's 2 weeks since you bought it.

The laptop was probably manufactured over a year ago.. ;c

Clintlgm
09-09-2017, 03:54 AM
update your BIOS latest G752VY 303 has a better fan profile. Asus Support Downloads
(https://www.asus.com/us/support/)

Spirery1
09-09-2017, 08:11 PM
i have the 303 in first thing i did but cpu still gets hot just stick fans on 100% when gaming that works

MrRuckus
09-11-2017, 03:52 PM
People will recommend IC Diamond though, it's abrasive and can cause damage to sinks but it surely does its job.

Any links to read about this? I have been using IC 7 Diamond for years with no issues on mirror finish heatsinks. AS5 was a favorite before that.

Korth
09-12-2017, 03:47 AM
IC Diamond contains abrasive microparticles which can scratch surface finish. Repeated applications and high mounting pressures can even scratch off part markings. Links (https://www.google.ca/search?q=ic+diamond+scratch) galore.

I think this is only an issue for people who've "honed" their mating surfaces to machinist-grade mirror-shined flatness. And for people who plan to swap out or resell their processor parts. Neither of these conditions really apply to a laptop, lol, so IC Diamond should be a fine choice.

Darnassus
09-13-2017, 01:17 AM
IC Diamond contains abrasive microparticles which can scratch surface finish. Repeated applications and high mounting pressures can even scratch off part markings. Links (https://www.google.ca/search?q=ic+diamond+scratch) galore.

I think this is only an issue for people who've "honed" their mating surfaces to machinist-grade mirror-shined flatness. And for people who plan to swap out or resell their processor parts. Neither of these conditions really apply to a laptop, lol, so IC Diamond should be a fine choice.

Correct, unless the person's inexperienced. I always recommend MX4 since you can practically dump the laptop in a vat of the stuff and nothing would happen.

MX-4 is non conductive. You can safely make a mess. If you want IC Diamond, make sure you keep clear of any other components other than the die.

Of course MX-4 isn't the best stuff however. ;d

Also I'm thinking of repasting too.. stock paste and I'm hitting 85*C on the GPU and near 80*C on CPU in an ambiance of.. 30*C?