PDA

View Full Version : GTX560m heat issue?

Kerspoink
01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a G53SX-XA1, and I have a concern about the heat. While playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, my GPU sits around 86c degrees. Is this a normal temperature?

I am new to laptops, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. The vents are clean and I have the laptop on a flat service.

Any advice is appreciated.

Kerspoink
01-16-2012, 10:21 PM
High all,

So is a GPU heat of 85 - 87c normal while playing? This is what my GPU is constantly at on just about any game I play.

I'm not too tech savvy, so any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

HiVizMan
01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Laptop GPU's get hot. That is about the same as what I get. Just make sure the surface is a flat firm surface. My wife likes to work with her laptop on her duvet. Gets toasty to the touch when she is not using the tray as it needs the gap for circulation.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

fuzon1337
01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
If I'm not wrong that is the standard heat temp while you're playing games :) Perhaps other in this forum will step in and confirm it for you (and me).

If you feel it's high, you could blow some compressed air into the exhaust to the fans and see if a lot of dust is coming out :)
(It's good for the notebook to get cleaned there sometimes also) :)

EDIT: Since you're saying that your not a heavy tech guy, how is it with the latest drivers for your hardware? :)

Kerspoink
01-16-2012, 10:32 PM
If I'm not wrong that is the standard heat temp while you're playing games :) Perhaps other in this forum will step in and confirm it for you (and me).

If you feel it's high, you could blow some compressed air into the exhaust to the fans and see if a lot of dust is coming out :)
(It's good for the notebook to get cleaned there sometimes also) :)

EDIT: Since you're saying that your not a heavy tech guy, how is it with the latest drivers for your hardware? :)

I may not be tech savvy, but i've been gaming long enough to know about drivers :) my drivers are all up to date. I've just never owned a laptop so I didn't know what to expect, heat wise. Kinda startled me considering my Desktop barely ever goes above 65c (granted with some extreme cooling setup).

HiVizMan
01-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Please don't make multiple threads about the same problem.

many thanks moved to the notebook section.

fostert
01-17-2012, 03:35 AM
@Kerspoink: what are your idle temperatures of your GPU in a room-temperature environment (e.g. 21C, or 70F)? Just for reference with mine, so we can determine if you GPU is running hot or if it is normal.
For reference, my GTX560M GPU idles near 32-34C in a large room at 21.4C ambient.

What is your room temperature?

Kerspoink
01-17-2012, 05:23 AM
@Kerspoink: what are your idle temperatures of your GPU in a room-temperature environment (e.g. 21C, or 70F)? Just for reference with mine, so we can determine if you GPU is running hot or if it is normal.
For reference, my GTX560M GPU idles near 32-34C in a large room at 21.4C ambient.

What is your room temperature?

GPU is idling around 45c. Temperature in the room is around 68f - 72f i think.

I for the first time tried to watch videos on this laptop as well. I opened a post about my experience called G53sx Screen Tearing.

Between the temp and the horrid screen tearing, I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my laptop.

dxboyz6146
01-17-2012, 05:35 AM
but i dun hve such issue, to be true am even O.C my gpu on G53SX and the highest temperature i got when playing a demand game like Batman Arkham City and setting at extreme on graphic without enable directx 11 and the temp is 78C
never reach 80C even using Future Mark test.

ColonelS
01-17-2012, 05:40 AM
Well i did a futuremark stress test on my G74SX the max i hit was 75C ( air conditioned room =p)

So for your case it just sudden shoot up to 86C when gaming on Star wars?

Have you try out futuremark yet?

Kerspoink
01-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Well i did a futuremark stress test on my G74SX the max i hit was 75C ( air conditioned room =p)

So for your case it just sudden shoot up to 86C when gaming on Star wars?

Have you try out futuremark yet?

Yep. I've done that as well and it's the same. GPU is almost always in the 80s when playing any game.

ColonelS
01-17-2012, 06:07 AM
oh noticed u opened another thread regarding the screen tear issue hmmm..

so the problems: 1st Screen tear, 2nd 80C-ish temp

Well i guess RMA might be a good solution for this.

fostert
01-18-2012, 01:08 AM
GPU is idling around 45c. Temperature in the room is around 68f - 72f i think.

I for the first time tried to watch videos on this laptop as well. I opened a post about my experience called G53sx Screen Tearing.

Between the temp and the horrid screen tearing, I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my laptop.

OK, that seems a bit excessive for an idle, but considering the cooling capacity of the G53 versus the G74 it may be "normal". Have you tried getting a can of compressed air from the Source (or another computer/electronics store)? Poke the nozzle+extension straw into the intake/exhaust vent as far as you can go, and while someone holds the suction end of a vacuum cleaner at the other end, blast away a few times. We have a host of compressed air in the shop at work and I just blast out my laptop vents once every other month there. My GPU idles are as mentioned, low 30's.