PDA

View Full Version : Here is the motherboard of G74,Can you tell me if it is good ?

Sickkid
01-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Here is the motherboard

Can anyone tell me,is it well designed and use good electronic component

and if ivy come out,G74I with new Ivy ,can we exchange the board?
Anyone who owe G73j exchange the board of G73S?

BrodyBoy
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Yeah, it's good. :)

Chances are, the new Asus models will be slightly redesigned, and the motherboards will not be interchangeable. There's absolutely no standard fit or sizing in laptop motherboards, so each one is usually unique to the model it's designed for.

Bojamijams
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Is the video card on the G74SX upgradable? From my understanding, if it uses the MXM interface, it should be. But if it is, where would one find a 580M to replace the 560M if they wanted?

Sickkid
01-17-2012, 08:46 PM
unfortunately,the video card is on the borad。。。。。:mad::mad:

fostert
01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Yes, the GPU and VRAM are soldered right to the mainboard, so it is not upgradeable. However, the CPU is socketed (FCPGA988 socket type) and the board will take anything up to the core i7 extreme 2960XM (I've read on other forums some people who have done this upgrade). That is if you've got $1k to spend.

chrsplmr
01-18-2012, 01:56 AM
I didnt see anything that jumped out at me..but you cant tell by looking at a pic..
unless there is obvious scorching or popped caps...you mostly cant tell holding
it in your hand.... to answer the first part of ur q......why?

KRAYGON
01-18-2012, 03:03 AM
hhmmm

does that pic just scream liquid cooling mod or is it just me

solder some thread caps on the four ends / convert a mini fish tank pump to usb and some server hd fans

kraygon

Sickkid
01-18-2012, 03:58 AM
I didnt see anything that jumped out at me..but you cant tell by looking at a pic..
unless there is obvious scorching or popped caps...you mostly cant tell holding
it in your hand.... to answer the first part of ur q......why?

Motherboard is the most important thing for a computer.
For a laptop is everything......
Asus claim it is a solid laptop.

So I want to know the motherboard if it is well designed and use good component,better electric capacity .....
Anyway I have bought my G74 instead of alienware m17r3, despite
of alienware‘s good lookin and better performance.I have a feeling alienware's motherboard is not as good as asus.

_
01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Is the video card on the G74SX upgradable? From my understanding, if it uses the MXM interface, it should be. But if it is, where would one find a 580M to replace the 560M if they wanted?

MXM just doesn't really exist anymore. Maybe some whitebox retailers do it, but thermally and electronically it's too difficult to accommodate in such a small space with specifically rated VRMs and power-brick.

The J is not upgradable to S due to the design change from Clarkdale/Llynfield to Sandybridge (same as desktop LGA1156->1155). Like you said, you can upgrade within the same CPU family though, so if you wanted to drop in an Extreme Edition you could!

We ship more consumer motherboards than any other company (~22 Million a year, not including notebooks) and we're rated #1 in the world for performance motherboards - we know how to make them well ;)

chrsplmr
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
WHA....??? 22,000,000 per year??? ...................and 'some' flap ??? !!! ............
Although when it is you..... been there... that's how I got here.
...and now the whole place is Black and I cant find the door.

I can not wait til the next rant/rage..................22M....to how many confirmed problems???
That's .00something%. Thank You for Not Flapping Zone-You Dont have to.

Come here-Call attention to your issue--get it resolved--stay for the ROG.

Asus does not want ANY bad RMA's any more than the Unfortunate Few.
The numbers prove it. It is also cultural. This would disrespectect ones self.
Dishonor..ect........Never....and disgrace your sons and their sons for generations?
Laughter..or a back turn at the mention of your family name.....
Mission statements and company positions are not written in smoke. Ever.

ummm..how many notebooks?....and of those...how many are ROG...very curious..been
looking for these numbers......

..sorry if OffTopic.......ooops...carry on....c.

MrRuckus
03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Aww. I was looking into upgrading the graphics card on my new G74. From looking at this, it looks like that is not possible. Other then that, I really love this laptop so far.

MXM isn't dead according to Dell if you take a look on ebay. There are GTX 580m's on there for sale in the MXM 3 Spec from Alienware laptops and such. Thats what prompted me to see if upgrading was an option. Sad to find out it is not. I believe the G51 was MXM with its GTX 260m which I also owned. Looks like Asus went the proprietary route probably when they stuck 3GB onboard for this 560 instead of 2GB like most MXM cards.

ThatsBS
03-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Is there any possiblility that the g74 motherboard may get upgraded with a 580m on it? Because I know alot of people who would be interested in buying just for the gpu. Or is it not posssible, even though the cooling is really good on the 560m.??

gilbert
03-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Replacing the GPU is not impossible , i'm sure a little shop in town would do it for you just ask around , i don't play games so my 560 is more then enough for me , however the CPU is another story , I will be replacing mine with the 2960XM as soon as my warranty expires all i need is a good video guide......

ThatsBS
03-30-2012, 11:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9reQvIxQvGQ

Try this link on you tube its a video guide... well sort of.

gilbert
03-31-2012, 12:05 AM

yup i seen that video 1000 times now but it goes by so fast and with no details that one can easily get confuse .....one with voice video, links to the parts like the cpu, thermal paste and specially in real time speed would b nice, but i guess this one would have to do when the time comes.

fostert
03-31-2012, 12:15 AM

Good guide @ThatsBS...thanks.
I too plan to toss in a 2960 or some lesser xtreme version one day well after my warranty goes: if i get the urge (& the cash) soon I think I might get a shop in town to disassemble/reassemble, so I don't bork something permanently. If this doesn't happen until 2960XM prices come down (>1-2 year) the I might try it myself, since at that point a new laptop might make more sense if I screw it up.

Gerbia
04-28-2012, 02:33 PM
where I can buy this motherboard? I need the G74SX-3DE and asus did not respond. thanks

Clouduck
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Replacing the GPU is not impossible , i'm sure a little shop in town would do it for you just ask around , i don't play games so my 560 is more then enough for me , however the CPU is another story , I will be replacing mine with the 2960XM as soon as my warranty expires all i need is a good video guide......

So would it be possible to upgrade with a 675M? Or would it have to be a 5xx series card? Also any chance of upgrading with an ivybridge processor? Or is it incompatible with the motherboard?

asunburstlespaul
06-26-2015, 05:54 AM
just raising old thread. Cant find a new post button.

My ASUS G74SX motherboard seems to be dead im told.

Looking at buying one of these cheap chinese replacement;

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Asus-G74SX-Non-integrated-DDR3-Mainboard-Laptop-Motherboard-Fully-Tested-All-Functions-Good-Work/32350031676.html

Looks like it should work to me?? The CPU from the old board should be able to slot in to this new one, along with the 4 4gb ram cards without trouble. Would this be the case or can anyone see some kind of issue?