PDA

View Full Version : Keyboardlight gone

Thai09
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Just got my G73JH back from the 2nd RMA in a year, new GPU and Mobo, same as last time.

Excellent service, now I just wait for the 3rd time!

In the 1― month repairprocess the keyboardlight has gone, puff, nowhere to find...

Iīve tried everything, flash the "fixmykb" and other various tips and tricks, but to no avail.

Browsing the net, I now see that this an ever ongoing occuring problem, and my question to Asus is:

WHAT WILL YOU DO ABOUT IT?

xeromist
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
It could be that the light is disconnected. It is underneath the keyboard so it is up to you whether you feel comfortable doing it yourself or sending it back yet again. :(

Thai09
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
No, itīs connected.

I probably know more about removing that keyboard than the boys in the Asus Shop!

Iīm 100% sure they just ripped the KB light connector off without loosen the black fasterners on the side, stupid ***** ... (Classic error, Chastity did the same, he-he!)

So, they offered me a new keyboard - but unfortunately in another language than my own (I live in SE Asia) - this I refused, cause itīs not a keyboardproblem, itīs either a software/hardware/programming fluke, or the connector on the mobo is broken, the goldplated connector pin looks fine.

Yes, and I connected with the goldplated side up!

xeromist
01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Sounds like you've already covered all the bases we could help you with here on the forum. At this point you'll have to get back in touch with support and complain again, sorry. :(

fuzon1337
01-17-2012, 08:24 PM
When you boot your notebook, does it flash when you see asus splash screen?

Since you're saying that you know a lot of how to check and fix, have you tried to uninstall the ATK package?
(Also went into the BIOS after the reinstallation and set it back to default?)

Thai09
01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
No flash at boot.

Yep, removed and re-installed the new ATK package.

BIOS default Iīll try now, thanks!

Edit: No, BIOS default did not work.. :(

@xeromist:

No way will I ever send it back to an Asus RMA Shop, they are a bunch of useless kids...

Read this:

"I recently sent my G53JW in to Asus for repair and when I got it back, there were several things wrong (case was not assembled properly, wifi driver was corrupt scratches on the case and palm rest). I put the case together properly, reinstalled the wifi driver, and the cosmetic stuff I can deal with, but the most annoying one was the keyboard backlight. When I took the keyboard off, I found that one of the ribbon cables was upside down (Used a guide online to confirm). This didn't fix it so I'm assuming that Asus updated my bios or killed my backlight and I'd rather not send it back in to them again... So, do you guys think that this fix will work for me too, or only on the g73jh?"

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/490250-asus-g73jh-keyboard-light-failure-after-bios-flash-209-a-41.html

xeromist
01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
OK, that's your choice. I'm confused then. If you don't want ASUS to touch it are you asking how to repair it yourself or was this a rhetorical post to tell your story(which is perfectly OK too)?

Thai09
01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes, I want the whole community to know what a downright ****ty product this G73JH is!!

Bought in Europe - 2.100 Euro - and itīs the last time I buy something from Asus, promise..

At this price I would expect something better than endless RMAīs, touchpad making you dizzy because the f*cking curser going hyper all over the screen!

I donīt have to mention all the other problems, right? You know them...

And now the missing keyboardlight added to the list, AND THEY DID IT IN THE ASUS RMA SHOP, THE MORONS!!! - itīs a pain, itīs neverending, and Iīm totally p!ssed!!!!

You ask "If I donīt want Asus to touch it"

Are you stupid or what?

What else can the amateurs ruin in another 1― month RMA?

When I got it back theyīd installed a freaking game on the desktop and some other stuff, I guess the kids in the shop been having a blast playing around with the thing for some weeks.

Itīs Asia, not Kansas, itīs another freaking ballgame here.

xeromist
01-18-2012, 08:50 PM
You ask "If I donīt want Asus to touch it"

Are you stupid or what?

The way you described the damage it sounds like something more than most users could repair on their own so I thought it was a fair question. Anyway, I'm just another customer who was trying to be helpful. Now that I know you aren't looking for a fix I'll leave you alone.

Thai09
01-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks, no intention to offend you..

So this forum is only "Asus Groupies"?

Whereīs the beef, hiding somewhere in Taiwan?

Iīm blunt, to the core, I know Asia, smiling hypocrites all the way...

**** ****ing G73JH

How can you be a "buttlicker" like that????

Translation: How can you support a totally mediocre, lame, nonsupported product?????

Do you have a G73JH yourself?

If not, then stay away and donīt answer the owners of this ****ty machine....!!!"!!!!

dstrakele
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
@xeromist, one of the nicest, most knowledgeable, and helpful people you are likely to meet in ANY forum, honestly tries to help you - and you call him names.... dude...........

fuzon1337
01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Now you are simply unfair!

Here tries Xeromist (and others) to help you with your problem, and what we gets back is just rude behavior from you.

There are many people who own an Asus G73Jh, and you do not see they complain (not many, but their issue gets fixed) about their notebook, but rather that they ask so they can get answers.

The fact that you have experienced poor service from your country, that is something we can not help you with. Then you have to contact Asus Support and tell them what has happened with the latest service of your product and see what happends from there.

xeromist
01-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Do you have a G73JH yourself?

Yup.

No worries, I'm not taking it personally. You're upset and you want to rage, that's fine.

fostert
01-19-2012, 03:32 AM
The comments here directed towards xero offend most users of this forum including me...the folks who come here for help always receive our best, and nearly all of them have their problems resolved here...thats why they stay on and help others. You aren't going to find a more willing-to-help bunch of "ASUS groupies" as exemplified by Xero...Venting is one thing, but please, just leave.

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 07:37 PM
@xeromist, one of the nicest, most knowledgeable, and helpful people you are likely to meet in ANY forum, honestly tries to help you - and you call him names.... dude...........

+1 Those kinds of posts add nothing productive to this forum. There are ways to complain and rant about one's own user experience without attacking other owners' experiences, opinions, or comments.

Thai09
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
I donīt care if itīs productive or not, and I donīt care if some "Asus ROG Cult Disciple" is a bit thinskinned!

The point is that ROG is a clever marketing stunt, and all the stupid gamer kids around the globe suck it all up...

Not me, too old for that nonsense, I just tell it like it is:

1. Too many problems with their products

2. The product is in a far worse condition when returned to the user after RMA

Look around the forums, read all the complaints people have, why Iīm I not allowed to mention the obvious fact that itīs a faulty product??

xeromist
01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
why Iīm I not allowed to mention the obvious fact that itīs a faulty product??

Who is stopping you? No one has deleted your posts or even warned you for talking about problems. It's well documented that quite a few G73s have problems with the touchpad, GSOD, etc. That you bring any of this up is hardly controversial or forbidden. The issue is in how you choose to communicate your thoughts. Your abrasive tone isn't going to win you any friends but that isn't even the problem. It's the name calling and personal attacks that don't fly. If you disagree with someone then feel free to tell them all the reasons why they are wrong, but do it in a respectful manner.

BTW, my G73JH works fine now but it didn't when I got it. I removed the tape & foil and added a proper ground wire myself to fix the touchpad. I was lucky not to have problems with the GPU but I also did the vbios update for good measure. I don't have any delusions that my machine was perfect, I just didn't see the point in complaining.

BrodyBoy
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
BTW, my G73JH works fine now but it didn't when I got it. I removed the tape & foil and added a proper ground wire myself to fix the touchpad.
OFF TOPIC: Just curious about this, as a side note. When I re-grounded my touchpad (G74), I considered a wire but wasn't confident I could ensure a stable connection at the TP grounding pad. How did you do it? Tape? Glue? Did you just run it to a chassis screw or something similar. I ended up fashioning a metal bar that reaches from the keyboard backing to the grounding pad.

xeromist
01-20-2012, 09:12 PM
OFF TOPIC: Just curious about this, as a side note. When I re-grounded my touchpad (G74), I considered a wire but wasn't confident I could ensure a stable connection at the TP grounding pad. How did you do it? Tape? Glue? Did you just run it to a chassis screw or something similar. I ended up fashioning a metal bar that reaches from the keyboard backing to the grounding pad.

I used a short length of small gauge stranded speaker wire (like for home theater) that I had around. I stripped and splayed the ends to ensure consistent contact. I re-used a bit of the silver tape to tape it to the grounding pad on the back of the TP and the other end to the metal where the TP connects to the chassis. If the problem comes back I'll know that I need to open it up and replace it with new tape but the speaker wire is so lightweight that I don't think it will be a problem. The silver tape should ensure a stable connection since it is also conductive and since I used only a small bit of it near the termination points I'm not too worried about charge buildup.

chrsplmr
01-24-2012, 10:57 PM
..that reminds me of the guy sitting crying on a fence
that his butt hurt from sitting on the fence...

get off and fix it.. or I know, how about ranting out
some solutions.

Your mature rage and racism has enlightened me...Im
kind of glad im a 'kid'. There is still hope for Us.
AND... You are wrong. 22,000,000 motherboards, not
counting laptops....say so...and did i mention...'world' records.

xer0 is a tireless friend to the forum and all that enter.
to all that spoke out++ and to those silently polite++
xer0..Salute.

brody & x... clever -- very clever.