PDA

View Full Version : How to keep the g751 rubberised chassis finish clean?

gordonash
10-01-2017, 09:10 PM
My g751 is a magnet for finger grease. It looks hideous and i was wondering what was recommended for cleaning it? I gave it a good wipe with some wet wipes today and it didnt touch the grease marks. I really wish it had a normal laptop finish ive never owned anything that looks so mining :)

haihane
10-01-2017, 10:02 PM
uh, that depends on whether you're willing to stick a skin to your laptop. <- this is how i dealt with the fingerprint prone laptop.

i suppose you've heard of decalgirl or dbrand. either works.

Korth
10-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Follow manufacturer instructions, if there are any.

A "mild" (diluted) mix of soap and water and a soft cloth is usually best for scrubbing oils off rubbers. With a little borax on particularly stubborn blemishes. With a chamois-tip or q-tip or soft-bristle brush on particularly stubborn and hard-to-reach areas. You can use a dull blade/edge or spudger or any similar sort of tool to work soft cloth into edges and corners. And rinse/wipe thoroughly a second time with water to remove all soapy residue.

Detergents can damage plastics (or plastic finishes/surfactants). Solvents (like isopropyl, and worse, acetone) are stronger cleaning agents than soaps and safe to use on some plastics but they (even their fumes) are highly reactive/destructive to other plastics.

Always spot-test first, "cleaning" some small unnoticeable spot on the underside or whatever, and letting it sit for a while afterwards, to ensure you don't wreck the whole thing with an inappropriate cleaner/solvent choice.

There's countless smartphone cleaning kits which would probably work well, if you pick one meant to clean a device which has similar plastics to your G751, but they tend to be single-use (for a physically smaller device) and somewhat overpriced.

gordonash
10-01-2017, 11:35 PM
uh, that depends on whether you're willing to stick a skin to your laptop. <- this is how i dealt with the fingerprint prone laptop.

i suppose you've heard of decalgirl or dbrand. either works.

Ive never skinned anything before as i think its looks super tacky but in this case i think it could be a good idea, just had a quick looks at available skins and they dont look too bad.

@Korth never thought of using just normal soap.

Thanks!

Korth
10-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Low-tech is sometimes the best way to go, lol.