PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G750JM, webcam keeps cycling on/off when I move screen forward and back

octygen
10-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Hello all! This has been happening for the last few weeks.
1) When I turn on my computer, unless my monitor is opened at an obtuse angle, the screen doesn't come on.
2) When I move my monitor forward and back, my webcam works and doesn't work depending on the angle. At an obtuse angle it does work.
3) If I was able to turn it on via 1), the screen flickers at night at certain angles that are not obtuse.

What could be happening and, if I open it up, could I fix it? Thank you!

xeromist
10-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a loose or damaged cable. If the cable is just loose then you would just need to reseat it. If it's damaged then you might need to replace some parts. It would be difficult to repair a tiny ribbon cable like that.

octygen
10-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I am guessing that is EXACTLY the case. May I ask which part I should open up?

xeromist
10-06-2017, 10:08 PM
I'm not familiar with teardown of the 750 so I would suggest searching youtube for teardown videos. Those are always the easiest way to learn about your machine because you can watch someone do it step-by-step. Even if you can access the display cable under the keyboard or something I might be tempted to do a more thorough teardown to ensure it's not bound or pinched in any of the moving parts. You may have to evaluate as you go.

Also, if you are lucky enough to have a loose cable, once you reseat it you should make sure that it is taped down so it doesn't move again. Kapton tape is best but you might be able to use some scotch or packing tape if that's all you have.

I moved this thread to the laptop area. Perhaps someone who has opened theirs can point you to a teardown video they like.