PDA

View Full Version : G750JW Windows 10 Re-Install with 2 Hard Drives?

Liger
10-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Hi All,

Sorry for what is likely to be a basic question to some. I have a fairly good understanding about hardware and Windows installation but only when dealing with 1 disk.

I have an SSD with my OS and Steam installed, I then have a 2TB HDD which holds all other programs, music, movies etc.

I'm looking to re-install Windows 10 to freshen things up a little but how does that impact the 2TB HDD. Will programs etc. that were installed there need re-installing? My desktop/download/documents were all moved to the HDD as well.

Is there a process I follow or is it just a case of formatting the SSD and starting again and the HDD will work BAU?

Thanks all.

Gps3dx
10-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Please check the sticky thread of this sub-forum: Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation) (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)).

Clintlgm
10-13-2017, 02:48 PM
The best way to protect the data on your 2 TB spinner is to remove it before doing the clean install.
If you have programs installed on the 2 TB you'll have to reinstall them as they will lose there Registry setting during the clean install
however is you do a repair install keeping your data and programs you shouldn't have to reinstall any or very few programs.

Your best bet before you do anything is back up your eSupport folder to an external drive you d not want to lost that it is not all replaceable.
You should be using Macrium Reflect or some other Imaging/back up Software. And create Images of your SSD, complete images not just partitions everything on that SSD is required to be in the image to be able to restore from a booting OS SSD
I can assure you MR works very well, others do too I just don't comment on them other than Acronis which I recommend against.
Gps3dx install guides are great and will be very helpful to you if your not up on UEFI installation.