PDA

View Full Version : No ASUS Service Centres in Canada?

AdelaisAer
01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Are there none in Canada? Because I checked on the site and there don't seem to be any. If and when I get my laptop, and I want to update the BIOS, I am scared of doing it myself in fear of the laptop dying, regardless of me following the guide here in the forums. :S

BrodyBoy
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
I understand your reluctance, considering your recent experience. But really, you just happened to have some bad luck....the chances of that happening again are very low. I've been updating BIOSes for easily 25 years, dozens of them, and never once had a bricked machine. That's not to say I do something better or that I won't get snakebit at some point, but it's just to illustrate that it's a fairly rare occurrence.

It's probably just as easy to return a machine than to get it to an Asus service center.

AdelaisAer
01-18-2012, 12:00 AM
I understand your reluctance, considering your recent experience. But really, you just happened to have some bad luck....the chances of that happening again are very low. I've been updating BIOSes for easily 25 years, dozens of them, and never once had a bricked machine. That's not to say I do something better or that I won't get snakebit at some point, but it's just to illustrate that it's a fairly rare occurrence.

It's probably just as easy to return a machine than to get it to an Asus service center.

Alright. :( Sorry, I just get really paranoid when these things happened. I am used to using a crappy Toshiba that does not require updates since Toshiba rarely even release updates for it, let alone BIOS updates (which install automatically using WinFlash).

BrodyBoy
01-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Did I link you the .pdf instructions? And you know NOT to use WinFlash, right?

AdelaisAer
01-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Yup. I've seen the PDF. I've used all the guides here on the forum to update my last 2 G74SX machines with it. :3

Also, just wondering, why is WinFlash bad?

BrodyBoy
01-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Yup. I've seen the PDF. I've used all the guides here on the forum to update my last 2 G74SX machines with it. :3

Also, just wondering, why is WinFlash bad?
Erasing & writing to the BIOS is a very low-level operation. (BIOS = Basic Input and Output System....it underlies all else the computer does.) If the anything goes awry and the BIOS gets corrupted, the computer is useless, as you know all too well.

It is best to do this in the simplest way possible, with the computer components (CPU, processor, etc.) doing nothing else but this process. That's EZ Flash, the BIOS's own basic utility for this purpose...when it runs, it's the only thing running. When you update from within an OS, there's so much else loaded, so many processes occurring simultaneously, that you significantly increase the chances of a glitch or error that corrupts the BIOS.

It's still probably a low chance of failure, even with WinFlash....but you've seen what a PITA it is to brick a BIOS. It makes sense, IMO, to use the method that offers the greatest likelihood of a successful outcome.

AdelaisAer
01-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Erasing & writing to the BIOS is a very low-level operation. (BIOS = Basic Input and Output System....it underlies all else the computer does.) If the anything goes awry and the BIOS gets corrupted, the computer is useless, as you know all too well.

It is best to do this in the simplest way possible, with the computer components (CPU, processor, etc.) doing nothing else but this process. That's EZ Flash, the BIOS's own basic utility for this purpose...when it runs, it's the only thing running. When you update from within an OS, there's so much else loaded, so many processes occurring simultaneously, that you significantly increase the chances of a glitch or error that corrupts the BIOS.

It's still probably a low chance of failure, even with WinFlash....but you've seen what a PITA it is to brick a BIOS. It makes sense, IMO, to use the method that offers the greatest likelihood of a successful outcome.

I see. o-o; Maybe that's why my old Toshiba is acting like ****, because the BIOS updates for it are WinFlash-usable ONLY. They cannot be run using the EZ Flash thing from within the BIOS, which is why I asked. :S

fostert
01-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Just avoid Winflash altogether...its like being asked to bulls-eye a target with a bow from an elevated suspended platform, when you can do it much more stably and with greater chance of success with your feet on the ground!

Boosted_R
01-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Not sure where your at in Canada but there is a Service center for G series in Markham, Ontario..... The number for tech support/RMA is 812-282-2787 or 510-739-3777.