PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Zephyrus GX501, speakers distortion

DJRiful
10-22-2017, 10:50 PM
I heard and seen people complain about the distortion but I never realize until I hit this video you YouTube. The high pitch frequency everytime he pronounce cause the the sound on my left speaker to go static "shrsrhshrsr" awkwardly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Qe1ECXgb8

Can someone at ASUS test this?

I have BIOS 300 with latest drivers.

My volume is only around 50-60% on Microsoft EDGE browser. It doesn't seem to happen on Chrome. After playing on Chrome, I went back to EDGE after this post. It doesn't happen anymore.

Then switch to my Logitech G933, it plays fine.

Corto
10-23-2017, 07:06 AM
I cannot believe that ASUS is not responding into this. Total silence since Bahz asked for serial numbers of affected units.

MasterC@ROG
10-24-2017, 09:31 AM
I heard and seen people complain about the distortion but I never realize until I hit this video you YouTube. The high pitch frequency everytime he pronounce cause the the sound on my left speaker to go static "shrsrhshrsr" awkwardly.

My volume is only around 50-60% on Microsoft EDGE browser. It doesn't seem to happen on Chrome. After playing on Chrome, I went back to EDGE after this post. It doesn't happen anymore.

Hi DJRiful,

The video wasn't recorded in high quality (quite low in fact) and had background noise consistently, and so it's a little difficult trying to troubleshoot by using this video as reference.
Did you change the quality settings to 1080p from within YouTube? This will also improve the sound quality.
Is it possible that the quality was different on each browser when you tested?
Is your issue present only for this one video?
And is it accurate to say it doesn't happen anymore?

PiTpOsSuM
10-24-2017, 09:43 AM
My speakers do also have distrortion when raising the volume above 60%. It is only the left speaker, the right speaker is working correctly. My test is to adjust the volume in Windows to get the "Bing" noise. When going above 60% the distrortion starts on the left speaker. I really hope this problem will be corrected in the near future.

Please Upload the most recent BIOS to the Support page. There is still the BIOS 201 for the GTX1080 version. Really looking forward for a new BIOS.

Corto
10-24-2017, 11:16 AM
It happens also with very high quality videos and games. This is your problem Asus - fix it.

HAMSTERS
10-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Asus don't you see there are many people having speaker issue? It is your problem, and you need to fix it, not to stay silent.

thejebronie
10-25-2017, 07:40 AM
i am having the same issue with the speaker distortion and it is disappointing as we all pay a huge chunk of money to get the best and now i am debating if i should sell it at a lost and go get a competitor laptop . not to impress ***ASUS***:mad:

MasterC@ROG
10-25-2017, 09:26 AM
My speakers do also have distrortion when raising the volume above 60%. It is only the left speaker, the right speaker is working correctly. My test is to adjust the volume in Windows to get the "Bing" noise. When going above 60% the distrortion starts on the left speaker. I really hope this problem will be corrected in the near future.

Please Upload the most recent BIOS to the Support page. There is still the BIOS 201 for the GTX1080 version. Really looking forward for a new BIOS.

Hi PiTpOsSuM,

I am currently working with the team to determine if the volume for certain content is too loud for the speakers, and resolve the issue. We will also make sure the latest BIOS version is available in all regions asap. Thanks

PiTpOsSuM
10-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Hi PiTpOsSuM,

I am currently working with the team to determine if the volume for certain content is too loud for the speakers, and resolve the issue. We will also make sure the latest BIOS version is available in all regions asap. Thanks

Thanks for your reply looking forward for this :)

DJRiful
10-26-2017, 05:23 AM
Hi PiTpOsSuM,

Thank you for looking into it.

For 2 days, I've switched down from 24bit to 16bit in the audio setting. I've seen this problem between with actual real sound card as well like the Creative SoundBlaster on my desktop.

If someone can try this below, see if it is still occuring.
https://i.imgur.com/vKTyYWS.png

HAMSTERS
10-26-2017, 05:53 AM
Thank you for looking into it.

For 2 days, I've switched down from 24bit to 16bit in the audio setting. I've seen this problem between with actual real sound card as well like the Creative SoundBlaster on my desktop.

If someone can try this below, see if it is still occuring.
https://i.imgur.com/vKTyYWS.png

Do you still have this issue after switching this setting?

PiTpOsSuM
10-26-2017, 07:42 AM
Could someone please check, I‘m currently in the office.

Doesn't work for me :(

DJRiful
10-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Do you still have this issue after switching this setting?

Not yet.

+ before I went from 24bit to 16bit. The distortion sounds like scratch. When it happens, I close my browser and reopen back to the page with the video then it goes back to normal.

I am sure the DSP (Digital Signal Process) is glitchy. The reason I pointed out that video because it happened on a randomly landed video. I have no idea what is that guy video talking about with poor English. :/

Anyways, it seems like it will occur at certain sound frequencies.

+ I am running test on iTunes, Chrome, Spotify under 16bit setting.

Restart your Sonic Studio after switching it or reboot pc.

mario64
10-27-2017, 01:59 AM
Is this an isolated problem or do they all have it?

DJRiful
10-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Is this an isolated problem or do they all have it?

All but it seems like problem with the 24bit it was defaulted to.

+ As far as I know GX501 uses Realtek ALC295

+ this video is very relevant: https://youtu.be/awh2XU3WrWI?t=1m44s

loop the 1:44 mark when the commentor speaks. It has pink noise static projecting from the right speaker. No matter what I do, restart chrome and etc. same thing.

+ I just updated the Realtek driver to: 6.0.1.8219, before I only one driver in place which is the 6.0.1.8192. I had to go to my Device Manager and get driver update from Microsoft.

But a much newer version here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=6.0.1.8275

Here are the different versions I have on my system now.

https://i.imgur.com/rxd8Nat.png

waltercool
10-28-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm also reproducing this bug randomly on Linux.

Randomly the audio gets very distorted, very awful sound. I need to suspend to ram or restart to fix it.

So, this is not just a driver issue on Windows, looks mroe like a BIOS/Hardware problem.

DJRiful
10-28-2017, 06:57 PM
I'm also reproducing this bug randomly on Linux.

Randomly the audio gets very distorted, very awful sound. I need to suspend to ram or restart to fix it.

So, this is not just a driver issue on Windows, looks mroe like a BIOS/Hardware problem.

From your discovery, sounds like the DSP chip from Realtek is defective?

@ASUS Firmware update on it? :( Almost $4000, with glitchy speakers! With that money I can buy a home theater.

HAMSTERS
10-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Hi, I am wondering what is your manufacturing date?

OnePiece@ASUS
10-31-2017, 02:46 AM
Hi all

In order to speed up the confirmation of the problem, would you please tell us the following messages:
1. Where is the location of the sound (specific place)?
2. In what situations it will be happened? (playing music/games/watching youtube(link)..., etc.)
3. Is there any external device be used? (mouse/adapter?)
4. Is there any video available?
Thanks for your great support.

Corto
10-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Loudspeakers

2. In what situations it will be happened? (playing music/games/watching youtube(link)..., etc.)
Windows system sounds like star up chime, any possible Youtube video, games

Razer Diamondback mouse but the distortion happens also without the mouse attached

no -I dont have Google account to upload in YT

HAMSTERS
10-31-2017, 04:42 PM
I believe it must be the speaker issue. Asus got a batch faulty speakers from supplier. Because using headphone or external speaker do not suffer from this issue, the Realtek sound chip is working ok.

PiTpOsSuM
11-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone,

my speaker distortion is gone. I checked the ASUS Drivers page today an a new Realtek driver ist available. Tried to install but after reboot an error appeared. Can't tell if an Windows Update already deployed new drivers before. Nevertheless distortion is gone!!!

My current driver is: 6.0.1.8219

Tried to install the "new ASUS Realtek driver" manually after the error over device manager...it says that the best driver is already installed. Well distortion is gone!

EDIT: Now its back again...dunno what happend.... :( :( :(

Corto
11-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone,

my speaker distortion is gone. I checked the ASUS Drivers page today an a new Realtek driver ist available. Tried to install but after reboot an error appeared. Can't tell if an Windows Update already deployed new drivers before. Nevertheless distortion is gone!!!

My current driver is: 6.0.1.8219

Tried to install the "new ASUS Realtek driver" manually after the error over device manager...it says that the best driver is already installed. Well distortion is gone!

EDIT: Now its back again...dunno what happend.... :( :( :(

I had the same installation error as you but after reboot I have had no more distortion. I tried to replicate the distortion triggering situations - but everything sounds good now.

Driver version is currently 6.0.1.8219

I am still curious though why the installation process gave me an error....

PiTpOsSuM
11-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Still have the distortion on my left speaker. But here is what I have found out. When reproducing the speaker distortion lift up the very front of your notebook chassi. My distortion only occurs when it stands flat on the table. When lifting the front a bit...only for a few millimeters... the distortion is gone. Try it out and please give feedback to me...

Pakki
11-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Well... here is a video on youtube of the high pitched sound I'm getting from my speakers. The problem occurs randomly. Usually I have to reopen the game or program or what ever is making the sound and it is okey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVA1fkvDf5I

P.S. I do have the latest audio driver version 6.0.1.8219

ChenGGez
11-30-2017, 05:12 AM
Bump,

I'm experiencing this exact same issue... has anyone figured out a fix, or do I have to send my Zephyrus into Asus?

samok
12-10-2017, 03:45 PM
i dont have the problem anymore. I deinstalled Sonic Studio and than installed the new Realtek HD Audio Driver and made also the new BIOS (300) on the Zephyrus.

mario64
12-14-2017, 01:29 AM
i dont have the problem anymore. I deinstalled Sonic Studio and than installed the new Realtek HD Audio Driver and made also the new BIOS (300) on the Zephyrus.So removing Sonic Studio fixes it? OnePiece@Asus, could you please update us on the status of Asus’s investigation? This is a very real issue many of us are facing and Asus has gone totally silent. We deserve better support, especially on a $2,700 laptop

DJRiful
01-14-2018, 05:46 AM
So removing Sonic Studio fixes it? OnePiece@Asus, could you please update us on the status of Asus’s investigation? This is a very real issue many of us are facing and Asus has gone totally silent. We deserve better support, especially on a $2,700 laptop

New Realtek driver and new Sonic Studio driver just out not too long ago. I just install them both, we'll see if we see anymore problems.

OnePiece@ASUS
01-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Regarding this situation, we might suggest you to reinstall the OS and confirm again.
If it is still no work, please take your product to our local service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.

The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

HAMSTERS
02-16-2018, 07:17 PM
I would like to know if anyone still have this problem after driver update?

mike House
02-23-2018, 11:30 AM
i too have this speaker problem which will spasmodically occurs with the left and right speaker .
today i had the left speaker playing up so rebooted my laptop and ran the same programme and
the speaker is fine and it makes no difference if the volume is high or low .
So the mystery and the annoyance continues and to be honest the cost of this laptop wasnt cheap as you all know
so im pretty annoyed with this problem and it not having been solved yet

thejebronie
02-23-2018, 01:04 PM
obviously the issue will persist and not get fix we just have to leave with it , i did the bios update the realtek driver update , remove the sonic studio and the distortion keep happening randomly

Moffan
03-20-2018, 01:40 PM
I have a strange ringing sound when I start the game. when I close the game the sound becomes normal. Sometimes games start with normal sound. but most often with metalic voiced. How to fix it? drivers from the official site of the asus did not help. what to do? service? what to change? column or is it a sound card? Help asus...

Moffan
03-20-2018, 01:54 PM
who has such problems with sound like me?

HussainAbdeen
04-08-2018, 03:43 AM
Help us.... lol
those speakers sound terrible with this problem, Rip my ears:(

ROG_HARDCORE
04-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Yes, this problem cannot be solved until now... Terribly distorted ...

Realtek official, nor custom driver both doesn't help.
RMA doesn't help as well.

Hardware issues?

kei
04-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Doesn't work for me. Asus doesn't seem to care. I'll make a youtube video about it to show what I'm experiencing.

alfredoe.rhoton
04-19-2018, 07:00 AM
Same problem here. This has been really hard to pinpoint. I've updated drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled sonic studio, experimented with different sample rates, etc. As far as I can tell it seems like a DSP glitch, like some kind of clipping or filter coefficient corruption. A few notes:

If you are playing audio already and it sounds good the distortion will not happen. The error is triggered when opening/closing the audio device. Conversely, if you open an application that will play audio continuously and get the distortion it will never go away until until you close all applications that are playing audio and try playing a sound again.
At least on my pc, the distortion can happen on either or both speakers randomly.
The probability of getting distorted audio on a speaker is around 20% for my system. Thus, if it happens I usually just close and open the app again, but it definitely is very bothersome.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-20-2018, 01:02 AM
Will Asus issues an FIX for this issues? @asus
We need technical respondent to clarify this.

clayton006
04-24-2018, 10:30 PM
I have this happen every so often when playing audio. Most of the time it gets fixed by muting and then unmuting the main audio control.

HussainAbdeen
05-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Hey there,
I went to nearest ASUS they ordered a new speakers for me they installed them and yet I'm still having the same problem.
Will there you go we need a software update or the motherboard has a problem ...

ROG_HARDCORE
05-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Can anyone clarify what latest bios provide? is the fix provided? Why is it so difficult to provide a change-log asus slaves??? why is it so hard to write ? You don't know how to write English? Use chinese then! I bet asus don't even know what they doing!

alfredoe.rhoton
05-31-2018, 02:38 AM
Based on what I've read so far, it would seem like a likely candidate for the issue is the Ti Smart Amplifier ICs used in the GX501. The amplifiers are supposed to monitor excursion, temperature, voltage and use a model of each speaker to increase the sound pressure levels without damaging the speakers. Perhaps the calibration was not performed correctly, or is not done on a per unit basis (which the Ti document seems to imply should be done). If for some reason the calibration model is different from the speakers, the feedback could lead to instability and oscillation. Anyone here on the forum knows the exact Ti part number used? Here's the tuning guide for reference:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa751/slaa751.pdf

The calibration data is not hard coded, which would lead me to believe that somehow a fix could be implemented through a BIOS update. Perhaps we could enable feed forward protection only?

ssakuda
10-19-2018, 06:50 PM
I uninstalled their version of Realtek Audio Drivers (currently at V6.0.1.8219) and installed it through Windows instead. It's been about a month and I haven't experienced any distortion since then.

Strom
11-07-2018, 09:23 PM
I also have a left speaker distortion that happens between 350 Hz - 450 Hz (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k).

Still have the distortion on my left speaker. But here is what I have found out. When reproducing the speaker distortion lift up the very front of your notebook chassi. My distortion only occurs when it stands flat on the table. When lifting the front a bit...only for a few millimeters... the distortion is gone. Try it out and please give feedback to me...

Indeed and I've found the same to be true. The distortion I'm experiencing has nothing to do with drivers or software, it's the chassis that starts vibrating. Specifically the removable bottom plate. If I put pressure on the plate (e.g. by lifting the laptop while having my fingers below the left speaker on the plate) the distortion gets a lot worse. Conversely if I relieve pressure (e.g. by lifting the laptop while holding only the edges) then the distortion goes away completely!

A pretty decent permanent solution would probably be to glue on some rubber feet to the laptop corners so that the bottom plate doesn't touch the table. I haven't done that yet though. Thus far I've just used the handrest that comes with the laptop. I put that slightly below the front of the laptop and it fixes the distortion problem for me.

DustyinLVNV
11-26-2018, 05:29 AM
I am having the same issue with three brand new out of box ROG GL703G-NS73's. I received my first one and did many tests and sent it back to Newegg. I updated every driver and every software package.
Out of box, the second was having the same issue. The moment Cortona started speaking to setup Windows, her voice was distorted.
A friend made the mistake of buying the same one before I received my first and is having the same problem. I have done a lot of research on this issue on many fourms, including this one. It is not isolated to any one model and has been going on for some time. Simply google "ASUS audio clipping" or "ASUS audio distortion." you will come across a wealth of information dating back to 2013.
My third RMA is being shipped back to me right now and after reading this forum, it looks like it will be going back for a full refund.
I emailed ASUS customer service with a complaint with the below examples last week and got such a generic reply, it could have been in reply to any complaint sent to them.
Thank you ASUS, for tarnishing your name and taking what should have been a happy moment for me and turning into a 3 week ordeal that that looks like it's going to end with me sending it back for a refund and buying a different brand.:mad:

Left Speaker

2. In what situations it will happen? (playing music/games/watching youtube(link)..., etc.)
Any sound. Youtube videos, Windows notifications. Narrowed it down to sounds between 250hz-500hz frequencies. Turning down EQ on both will stop it, but renders any use of presets useless and sound quality is horrible.

No

Here are four videos I made myself as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LPK_4pbP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3N3plMl20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5c4bEToXm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1BaQR2R84I

Hi all

In order to speed up the confirmation of the problem, would you please tell us the following messages:

Thanks for your great support.

DustyinLVNV
11-27-2018, 04:38 AM
Just an update. I got my 3rd RMA today from Newegg and it had the same exact issue. I tried using peace after updating everything to adjust the sound. Uninstall sonic and reinstalled. Did everything ever forum said to do to no avail. I have now RMA'd it as a refund and bought a different brand.

I am having the same issue with three brand new out of box ROG GL703G-NS73's. I received my first one and did many tests and sent it back to Newegg. I updated every driver and every software package.
Out of box, the second was having the same issue. The moment Cortona started speaking to setup Windows, her voice was distorted.
A friend made the mistake of buying the same one before I received my first and is having the same problem. I have done a lot of research on this issue on many fourms, including this one. It is not isolated to any one model and has been going on for some time. Simply google "ASUS audio clipping" or "ASUS audio distortion." you will come across a wealth of information dating back to 2013.
My third RMA is being shipped back to me right now and after reading this forum, it looks like it will be going back for a full refund.
I emailed ASUS customer service with a complaint with the below examples last week and got such a generic reply, it could have been in reply to any complaint sent to them.
Thank you ASUS, for tarnishing your name and taking what should have been a happy moment for me and turning into a 3 week ordeal that that looks like it's going to end with me sending it back for a refund and buying a different brand.:mad:

Left Speaker

2. In what situations it will happen? (playing music/games/watching youtube(link)..., etc.)
Any sound. Youtube videos, Windows notifications. Narrowed it down to sounds between 250hz-500hz frequencies. Turning down EQ on both will stop it, but renders any use of presets useless and sound quality is horrible.

No

Here are four videos I made myself as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LPK_4pbP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3N3plMl20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5c4bEToXm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1BaQR2R84I

nday76
12-01-2018, 11:21 AM

I opened up the Laptop to see if the left speaker was installed properly.
The screw was tight which held the left speaker but it was still wobbly,
because there was very tiny gap at the top and bottom of the left speaker.
it vibrates and hits the chassis whenever it is producing the high pitch sounds and causing the distortion.
I put a thin paper under the speaker to cushion it but the distortion seems to persist, although much less.

Exception.E
01-17-2019, 12:49 AM
I just received my brand new GX501. $2600, gtx 1080... everything is good at first glance...

At the system setup, as soon as windows 10 booted for the first time, I hear the windows default chime... Ohhh lord. The speaker sounded like it had sand on it...

It sounded very distorted, almost like when you are tuning your electric guitar's distortion, and you get a horrible ugly distortion until you get it fine tuned...
Almost like using a 300 watts amp on a 50 w speaker... It's nasty...

The left speaker isnt too bad, but still not acceptable.
The right speaker, I better off take my plasma cutter, and cut that right side lower corner right out...I need to get that speaker out of there at all costs.

BUT... for the price I paid, I will be returning it, since I know after reading many many threads, I hear tons of people are doing a RMA on these, then when they get it back, not only the down time, but also it comes back the same !!! WTF man...

Ok... It's a gaming laptop, and we will be wearing headphones when we play...
But, for a laptop of this caliber, and this price, there is no way in hell I would accept these speakers.

Laptop return request for a full refund. I am going with the competitor on this one.

A little disappointed.. I have been building high end computers for 18 years, every 2 years... All the main components, mother board, gpu... I always choose ASUS... But on this one, I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Complete Trash.

kei
03-24-2019, 10:09 AM
just an update, it's 2019 and Asus never fixed the issue. Super disappointed.