PDA

View Full Version : GX501 Zephyrus unable to output 4k60hz HDMI

Mechorpheus
10-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Hi,

I've had this problem ongoing for a while, thought I'd ask here incase anyone's seen it.

While I'm overall really happy with my Zephyrus, there's a weird problem with the HDMI output. While connected to my Panasonic 4K TV, I'm not able to get the laptop to output picture to the display when selecting 4k (3840x2160) resolution at 60hz. The option appears in the menu as selectable, and it appears as if the laptop believes it's been set (I can move the cursor off the laptops panel when in 'Extend' mode), but the TV shows a 'no input' message. 4K 30hz is also selectable, and this works fine, so it's as if the output is stuck at HDMI v1.4 for some reason.

I know the TV itself is working fine, as I've had no issue running at 4K 60hz on my desktop PC, and I've used the same HDMI cable with the laptop. I'm curious as to whether there's a particular driver which is incorrectly installed or something? I have re-installed Windows 10 since I purchased the machine and this didn't resolve the issue.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Finnman1983
10-23-2017, 10:50 PM
I'm having the exact same problem. It has made for some embarrassing meetings at work fumbling around my laptop delaying the meeting.

DJRiful
10-26-2017, 05:14 AM
Did you guys updated your GeForce driver?

Finnman1983
10-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Did you guys updated your GeForce driver?

Yes, and the official Asus drivers for the device. It still does not work.

OnePiece@ASUS
10-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Hi , I will report this problem to our technical support department.
Would you please tell me your device's name or model's name?

Finnman1983
11-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Hi , I will report this problem to our technical support department.
Would you please tell me your device's name or model's name?

Asus Zephyrus GX501VI

OnePiece@ASUS
11-06-2017, 05:37 AM
Asus Zephyrus GX501VI

Sorry, I mean the model of the external equipment.

Mechorpheus
11-11-2017, 10:16 AM
My laptop model is the same as Finnman's, (GX501VI), and I'm trying to connect to a Panasonic Viera 40DX700B. This TV works absolutely fine at 4K/60fps on both my desktop PC (running a NVidia GTX 1080 ti GPU) as well as a PS4 Pro games console. I've tested using the same HDMI cable as I use for these devices and the laptop still refuses to output an image at 4K/60fps. I'm able to select the option in the nvidia control panel, and setting it seems to make the laptop attempt to set it (and it asks me to confirm settings with the count-down timer), but nothing is displayed on the TV.

I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers presently 388.13.

VixusFoxy
11-29-2017, 11:08 PM
Greetings,

I was able to verify this issue with a Samsung Q7F television. No ability to output 4K60Hz.
I made sure to check cables, and other devices using those same cables, and they worked fine.

GX501VIK

mochione
12-01-2017, 01:21 PM
I have the same problem, I have an Asus Zephurus and I can't get my 4k monitor (Dell Up3216q) o achieve the 60hz, it's stuck in 30hz, if someone could solve the problem I told me about. Thanks

Reldan
12-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Same problem with my GX501VIK.

The only way it "works" is to set the color to YUV4:2:0, which is a bit of a hack Nvidia put in to compress 4k/60Hz to work over HDMI 1.4. This shouldn't be necessary if this were an HDMI 2.0 output as it says in the specifications, and you'll basically be getting the worst color and no HDR. Basically it compresses the color information to a quarter of what it should be, as detailed here (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-kepler-4k-hdmi-1.4,27117.html).

I would really like to know what, if anything, can be done about this. If the HDMI output is actually 1.4, which is exactly how it behaves, then that not only makes it unsuitable for gaming at 4k, it likely will restrict what you can do with the next generation of VR headsets as the current ones are basically near the limit of what HDMI 1.4 can handle, and if they bump the resolution any higher it's going to require the new port working properly. The laptop should stop being advertised as having HDMI 2.0 if it does not, and if it does I sure would like to know how to make it work properly.

OnePiece@ASUS
12-11-2017, 02:34 AM
Hi all
What's the source of your image output? Netflix?

VixusFoxy
12-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Hi all
What's the source of your image output? Netflix?

Any raw output from the laptop.

OnePiece@ASUS
12-13-2017, 06:57 AM
Any raw output from the laptop.

Got it. I will report it to our R&D department.
Thank you.

JackyBeans
01-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Helllo all

I have the same problem here. Every time I try to plug via hdmi my zephyrus to my Samsung js9000 55' tv into 4k resolution the signal goes off and there is no display.
I can only plug the laptop via 1080p.

whether its windows desktop or in-game I can't seem to display my laptop on my tv when in 4k.

hdmi cable I'm using is working just fine as I have been using it to connect my desktop (x51) and 4k was working perfectly on my tv. I tried anyway other hdmi cable (4k display cables) and same problem.

the problem seem with the laptop.

please advise!!
this urgently needs a fix

melanor
01-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Such a shame i was just about to buy this laptop and i fortunately ran into this matter.Id be so pissed not being able to play on 4k tv which im also about to buy..

i guess ill go with aorus x5 instead ..

ex g750jz owner.

Mountain Jack
01-09-2018, 09:23 PM
I have the same issue. No modern HDMI perhipials work as there is a problem with HDMI 2.0 compatibility.

4k 60 hz gaming = No Go.
Modern TVs (HDR) = No Go.
Modern VR headsets (like the Samsung VR Odyssey headsets) = No Go.

Everybody is having the same issue, but absolute silence from ASUS. Pity on an otherwise fantastic laptop. Returning mine.

Mountain Jack
01-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Got it. I will report it to our R&D department.
Thank you.

This was a month ago. What is going on?

Mountain Jack
01-09-2018, 09:53 PM
The HDMI 2.0 spec was released in 2013. This is a brand new laptop and you advertise HDMI 2.0 support and Thunderbolt 3. This is incorrect. With some goodwill, you could say that it supports Thunderbolt 3 ____OR____ HDMI 2.0. And you have to buy a dongle/dock.

And if you DO buy a dongle or a dock, you will have to say goodbye to even using a single full thunderbolt 3 bandwidth device as most of the bandwidth is gone for the HDMI adapter.

This is the only gaming laptop in this segment that only supports a seven year old HDMI spec. If your Zephyrus is only used for office powerpoint presentations, I guess you are fine with this.

melanor
01-11-2018, 08:59 AM
imm buying a dell laptop instead.

hope asus responds to this matter for zephyrus owners.

such a dramatic issue..

rpc72
01-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Same here. Can't run my Samsung HMD Odyssey VR headset on the built-in HDMI port and I have to use a TB3 to HDMI 2.0 adapter to make it work.
Asus please fix this!!!!!!!!!

OnePiece@ASUS
01-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Hi all

If your laptop unable to output images via HDMI, we might suggest you to take your product to our local service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.
The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

rpc72
02-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Hi all

If your laptop unable to output images via HDMI, we might suggest you to take your product to our local service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.
The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, the HDMI port works as long as you don't connect it to an HDMI 2.0 port on a display device.
I have yet to see someone claim (and show proof!) that his Zephyrus works with an HDMI 2.0 display device. Please, can Asus release a statement on this issue? It's going on 6 months now and still no fix.

Justin K Jung
04-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Hi, I'm from Korea. I have same issue on my Zephyrus.

1. checked HDMI 2.0 cable.
2. changed MAIN Board at A/S center in Korea.
3. Tested with my 3x monitors (4K).
4. Claimed to Korea A/S center more than 6 times.

now, not fixed yet.

Please please fix it or reply for this issue. :mad:

Reldan
04-08-2018, 12:59 AM
Hi, I'm from Korea. I have same issue on my Zephyrus.

1. checked HDMI 2.0 cable.
2. changed MAIN Board at A/S center in Korea.
3. Tested with my 3x monitors (4K).
4. Claimed to Korea A/S center more than 6 times.

now, not fixed yet.

Please please fix it or reply for this issue. :mad:

Thanks for verifying - I'm not comfortable giving up my laptop for some unknown duration of time for a problem that I don't think they have a fix for. At this point I think it's just false advertising that this laptop has an HDMI 2.0 port, and they somehow built them wrong at the factory.

Very disappointing - stuff like this makes me not want to take a chance on Asus products in the future.

thejebronie
04-09-2018, 02:05 AM
from what i realize asus are the best for false advertisement and no help , definitely my last asus product but i don't think they care to loose a few customer , the hdmi issue , the speaker issue , the battery issue , the issue that wont play with gsync on with pg348q monitor unbelievable, they should give us the software to change the fan speed and the program to use optimus and i would mayby change my mind for the future but i am definitely dreaming

mochione
04-20-2018, 04:20 PM
I have the same problem, 6 months and Asus still hasn't responded.

ROG_HARDCORE
04-21-2018, 02:22 AM
I just tested out this today, SURPRISINGLY same problem. forced to use type C display out for now.

What our 2699$ worth actually? Very disappointing and sad

mochione
04-30-2018, 08:54 PM
Asus??????????

VixusFoxy
05-02-2018, 09:48 AM
The silence is deafening. Nice.

ROG_HARDCORE
05-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Seems to be abandoned, Users always the victims. Good luck and God speed.

RobHess9
08-23-2018, 06:23 AM
Well, Linus Tech Tips on YouTube gave the GX 501 series a great review about a year ago, and I just sent him a message about how the HDMI port is in fact only 1.4, not 2.0. Maybe a little publicity will help.

madhacker3kxl
08-25-2018, 04:39 PM
Sometimes refresh rates does not show up on nvidia control panel. Connect HDMI monitor/TV and make that the primary and laptop screen off. Go to Display Settings -> Advanced display settings -> Adapter tab -> See what refresh rates are available with what resolution. For me, I had to go to the Monitor tab and select 60hz.

RobHess9
08-26-2018, 09:28 AM
60hz will make a windows MR headset look crappy. And it should support 90hz.

Isedo
11-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Hi Folks, I'm on a Roggx501 Zephyrus...same problem here. The 300dollars asus of my syster drives my BenQ 4k monitor but my Asus Rog is not...jeeeeezzz....any clue about this??

Isedo
11-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Ok folks, to anyone who needs this, i found a SOLUTION.

Right click on your desktop->Nvidia control -> Set the resolution of the monitor to 4k BUT only 30hz
It will work.

No luck going over the 30hz

Reldan
11-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Ok folks, to anyone who needs this, i found a SOLUTION.

Right click on your desktop->Nvidia control -> Set the resolution of the monitor to 4k BUT only 30hz
It will work.

No luck going over the 30hz

That's not a SOLUTION, that's just the HDMI 1.4 standard. Nobody is saying that you can't output a 4k signal of sorts, just that HDMI 2.0 means 4k60hz, and this obviously doesn't actually work. (HDMI 2.0 also means the bandwidth to handle newer VR and AR technology, which this laptop will never be able to do despite having the gpu power to do so)

I said 4k30hz worked in the very first post of this thread over a year ago, so hopefully this isn't a surprise to anybody. Again, that just supports that these were incorrectly built with HDMI 1.4 ports and then advertised as HDMI 2.0 ports.

madhacker3kxl
11-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Both HDMI and DP over Thunderbolt outputs 4K60p on my laptop just fine to my TV.

Pheebau
12-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Both HDMI and DP over Thunderbolt outputs 4K60p on my laptop just fine to my TV.

What's your laptop model if I may ask? I have recently purchased a GX501GI and I seem to experience the issue with no being able to output 4k60hz - am still trying to make it work and will update as necessary.

Does anyone else with a GX501GI experience issue as well or is it mostly with certain Zephyrus models?

UPDATE: I was able to make it work with HDMI at 4k60hz

rogersampaio
12-06-2018, 08:38 PM
How you made it work?

What's your laptop model if I may ask? I have recently purchased a GX501GI and I seem to experience the issue with no being able to output 4k60hz - am still trying to make it work and will update as necessary.

Does anyone else with a GX501GI experience issue as well or is it mostly with certain Zephyrus models?

UPDATE: I was able to make it work with HDMI at 4k60hz

Pheebau
12-07-2018, 03:12 AM
How you made it work?

To be honest, I bought 4k 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 cables and plugged into my 4k TV and I was then able to pick 4k@60hz from the nVidia control panel when you right click on your Windows desktop. Before that I wasn't able to. Also one has to make sure to plug the HDMI cable into the proper 4k HDMI port of the TV or Home Theater. I had made the assumption that my all of the HDMI ports on my home theater were supporting 4k but not all of them were.

Reldan
12-12-2018, 05:40 PM
I've very curious if they quietly fixed this with later builds. I have multiple 4k devices and cables that I know work fine passing 60Hz 4k/HDR signals, and it does not work that way with my machine and never has. I've even tried bypassing the receiver and gone directly from laptop to monitor and had the same behavior.

I don't think that every single other person who has tried this and reported the same results over the past year has simply not understood how to 4k.

Mine is also one of the first runs of these machines, having gotten it back in July 2017 around when they first went on sale. For those of you this is working for, can you post the manufacture date of your machines? I believe it should be listed on the same tag on the bottom that has the S/N.

Benwaki
04-02-2019, 12:19 AM
Hi, we just had a customer come in with this issue.

Fix was found within the ROG Command Centre V2.5.9

Download link = https://www.asus.com/nz/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-M-GM501/HelpDesk_Download/

In the GPU mode set to Nvidia and reboot.

Image attached showing setting location.

GGPC NZ

cyllion
04-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Hi, we just had a customer come in with this issue.

Fix was found within the ROG Command Centre V2.5.9

Download link = https://www.asus.com/nz/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-M-GM501/HelpDesk_Download/

In the GPU mode set to Nvidia and reboot.

Image attached showing setting location.

GGPC NZ

This applies to GM501 that has both intel and nvidia graphics. However, GX501 has only nvidia graphics and the highest version of ROG Gaming center for it is 2.1.5. The problem still exists. I did install 2.5.9 to my GX501 and it installed fine, but no such option was available anyway.