PDA

View Full Version : Maximus X Hero - Adaptive Voltage issue or Misunderstanding?

Coffee_User
10-24-2017, 07:33 AM
Hello

i currently some strange problems with my Maximus X Hero.

System:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K cooled by BeQuiet Silent Lopp 280mm
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero @ 0505 UEFI
Memory: GSkill "F4-3200C14D-32GVK"

As far as i know, there are 4 different vcore mode's available.

Auto --> Mainboard adjust the Voltage
Offset -> A value postive or negative for the entered Voltage
Manual --> Fixed Voltage, so no decrease of Vcore Voltage
Adaptive --> A value positive or negative for the entered Turbo Total VCore Voltage. So the maximum Vcore under heavy load with a positive or negative value.

Sorry for my bad english. I hope everyone understand what i mean.
So my destination frequency on my CPU are 5GHZ sync on all cores.

What i tried out so far:

Sync all Cores: 50
Manual Fixed Voltage: 1.345
LLC on Level 5
Uncore min.: 40 maximum: 40
XMP Enabled
AVX Offset 3
CPU COre/Cache Current Limit Max: 255.50
CPU Current Cpability: 140%
Fixed CPU VRM Switching Frequency (KHZ): 500

Stable at 5GHz in Prime 26.6 without AVX, after 1 Hour
The VDroop is at 0,020 Volt. So i have 1.325 Volt

-----
But the Voltage isn't coming down under idle. SO i tried Adaptive, which was working fine on my Z270 Maximus X Hero with my 6700K before.

But now with Coffee Lake....

Adaptive Voltage Turbo Total : 1.345 offset -0.020
LLC on Level 5
XMP Enabled
AVX Offset 3

After i reboot my system i recieve 1.45 Volt on my CPU in the UEFI and of course in windows too. What is way to high, and not my entered setting.
Even with LLC at 7 i recieve that Voltage. Thats not normal i think

So i Tried something...

I entered the follwing value..
Adaptive Voltage Turbo Total : 1.245 Offset -0.020
LLC on Level 5
XMP Enabled
AVX Offset 3

After i reboot my system i recieve 1.345 Volt on my CPU in the UEFI and of course in windows too. So whats that?
Maybe i did something else wrong, but i haven't done anything else on that system. I also reflashed my uefi but there is no difference. I bought a second mainboard of maximus x hero but still the same issue?
Another question: Is it normal that the LLC only goes to level 7 not till Level 8? On my Z270 there was a LLC Level 8 available.

Thanks

Best Regards

Raja@ASUS
10-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Hi,

You cannot set the Adaptive voltage below default voltage for a given CPU ratio. Note that you may not be able to get to 1.245V at 50X, depending on how Intel programmed the VID stack for your CPU. You can try reducing the voltage with a combination of negative offset, lower LLC, and the IA AC and DC load line (http://Regardless, to reduce the voltage you'll need to use a negative offset, lower LLC, and/or tune the IA AC and DC load line settings. Try starting at 0.01 for each and take it from there. No guarantees you'll get it exactly where you want it and maintain stability. Screenshots are in the Kaby Lake overclocking guide here.) settings. Not sure how much you'll be able to reduce it while maintaining stability, though.

-Raja

Coffee_User
10-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Hello Raja,

thanks for the fast reply and the info Raja. Its ok for me. I think 1.325 Volt @ 5GHZ is a nice result anyway. Maybe its possible to reduce the Vcore a little bit more but, it doesn't make much difference i think. Only in prime i recieve at max 65C. Normally its between 60C and 65C in prime.
In games a have 40-50C so its ok.

I've only one question. Is it normal that i only have LLC Level 7 available and not level 8?

As i said before, on my Z270 i had Level 8 available and on the Maximus X Apex there are 8 Level available too

Thanks

Best Regards

Shamino
10-24-2017, 08:06 AM
yes only up to level 7, as theres a level '0' which will be renamed 'default' in future bioses

Coffee_User
10-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Hello Shamino,

thanks for the info. I'm new here in this forum, and i really appreciate your help and feedback

Thanks

bmaltz
01-05-2018, 08:27 PM
I used der8auer's overclocking tutorial for Maximus X Hero motherboards with an i7-8700k and am stable at 5.1 GHz after 1 hour on Prime95:
https://youtu.be/CoUtA7DKXhU

good luck

bass junkie xl
01-05-2018, 09:44 PM
i have the x hero board and had this question as well when i first got the board . my gigabyte z 270 and 7700k i didnt have adaptive voltage ( damn u gigabyte ) .
anyways once u put adaptive to on leave offset to default and total max turbo adaptive to 1.32 v @ 5 ghz load line =6 , svid support has to be on and svid best case cinario .
after those 2 option my 5 ghz drops voltage and mhz speed not doing much an under heavy loads like prime 95 i get 1.32 v - 1.34 wich is perfect i dont want to lower voltage anyways since i need 1.32v - 1.34v to be fully stable anyways lol it worked out perfectly .

like raja says i dont think u can lower the cpu voltage below that since it reads off the cpu built in svid - correct me if im wrong

if u went to offset mode - wich is terrible for high ocs u might be bale to get below 1.32 v with a higher offset .

offset on my gigabyte z270 was a nightmare i dont even want to think about it ! 5 ghz it was a bad dream

after trying offset on this x hero @ 5 ghz its beauty 0.8 v under light lods and ramps to 5 ghz 1.32v under load

mr_allroy
03-05-2018, 05:54 AM
i have the x hero board and had this question as well when i first got the board . my gigabyte z 270 and 7700k i didnt have adaptive voltage ( damn u gigabyte ) .
anyways once u put adaptive to on leave offset to default and total max turbo adaptive to 1.32 v @ 5 ghz load line =6 , svid support has to be on and svid best case cinario .
after those 2 option my 5 ghz drops voltage and mhz speed not doing much an under heavy loads like prime 95 i get 1.32 v - 1.34 wich is perfect i dont want to lower voltage anyways since i need 1.32v - 1.34v to be fully stable anyways lol it worked out perfectly .

like raja says i dont think u can lower the cpu voltage below that since it reads off the cpu built in svid - correct me if im wrong

if u went to offset mode - wich is terrible for high ocs u might be bale to get below 1.32 v with a higher offset .

offset on my gigabyte z270 was a nightmare i dont even want to think about it ! 5 ghz it was a bad dream

after trying offset on this x hero @ 5 ghz its beauty 0.8 v under light lods and ramps to 5 ghz 1.32v under load

May I ask what BIOS version you're running? No matter what I try, setting adaptive voltage, my cpu voltage spikes to 1.5 after a reboot.

Raja@ASUS
03-05-2018, 06:46 AM
May I ask what BIOS version you're running? No matter what I try, setting adaptive voltage, my cpu voltage spikes to 1.5 after a reboot.

Have you set SVID Behaviour to 'best case'?

mr_allroy
03-06-2018, 05:20 AM
Have you set SVID Behaviour to 'best case'?

I have it on best case.

Raja@ASUS
03-06-2018, 06:03 AM
I have it on best case.

Can you show images of how you've set the voltage in UEFI? You can save images onto a USB drive by pressing F12 in UEFI. Convert them to JPEG in the OS, and then upload online so that we can see them, please.

mr_allroy
03-06-2018, 11:35 PM
m posting screenshots as requested. I don't have it on adaptive voltage as 1.5+ isn't a voltage I'm comfortable leaving it at. So it's set to manual as you can see. As well, one thing that scares me is that the motherboard, if set to Auto, will put the VCCIO,CPU System Agent and Core PLL Voltage to 1.3+ if I leave them at auto. This is only if I set my cores to Sync @ 47.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asi8RQeQofcQ01nkTmIw_-pkBWT6

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asi8RQeQofcQ01uewFMZ7zwm6XnD

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asi8RQeQofcQ013PY-eETuqhBmtp

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asi8RQeQofcQ014K9aGbJo0p_4RG

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asi8RQeQofcQ01q9HIIzOwvn0Zt_'

Raja@ASUS
03-06-2018, 11:41 PM
I don't need to see how you're setting manual voltage. I need to see how you're setting adaptive. As a sidenote, you need svid enabled for adaptive. That, and the fact that adaptive entry can be confusing for some people is why I need to see what you're doing when you set it.

mr_allroy
03-06-2018, 11:44 PM
I don't need to see how you're setting manual voltage. I need to see how you're setting adaptive.

Give me a couple minutes then and I'll have it posted. But one thing, can you explain why the system wants to set those other voltages so high? I go down nearly 10 degrees when I set them as shown in the pictures.

mr_allroy
03-06-2018, 11:58 PM
I didn't get a screen shot. I'll tell you. I set it to "adaptive voltage" and left the offset to Auto. I rebooted and the voltage was 1.52. Then I rebooted, changed my voltage back to "manual" and I've been rock solid with 1.23 @ 4.8GHz. But I experience blue screens. Luckily, I had my OC profile saved and reset the system with that profile.

I'm thinking that I just don't understand how "Adaptive" works on this board. With my last 2 boards, Maximus VI Hero and Z87-Deluxe, I had no issues.

Perhaps you can recommend a setting? Otherwise, I'm just going to leave it until the next BIOS comes out as 1.52 volts scares me, even with just booting up, checking and restarting.

Raja@ASUS
03-07-2018, 09:59 AM
You should be entering the load voltage you want into the Additional Turbo Voltage box. So, if you want 1.30V, that's what you type into the box (leave offset on Auto). If you're leaving the Additional Turbo field on Auto, there's your issue. That leaves the UEFI to decide to voltage, and that's either based on worst case scenario CPUs, or the processor's own request (depending on the rail and voltage mode). Not all CPUs are the same, so any auto rules employed by the UEFI are based on the worst CPUs we receive in-house. It has to be that way, otherwise we end up with people complaining about the boards POSTing. Law of lesser evils - or something like that.

Also, don't forget what I said about SVID.

mr_allroy
03-07-2018, 01:11 PM
You should be entering the load voltage you want into the Additional Turbo Voltage box. So, if you want 1.30V, that's what you type into the box (leave offset on Auto). If you're leaving the Additional Turbo field on Auto, there's your issue. That leaves the UEFI to decide to voltage, and that's either based on worst case scenario CPUs, or the processor's own request (depending on the rail and voltage mode). Not all CPUs are the same, so any auto rules employed by the UEFI are based on the worst CPUs we receive in-house. It has to be that way, otherwise we end up with people complaining about the boards POSTing. Law of lesser evils - or something like that.

Also, don't forget what I said about SVID.

I've actually tried what you've said. I've tried 1.23 which my cpu is solid at in manul mode. I've tried up to 1.3. However, any voltages I put in always ramp up to 1.5v.

It's early and I'm not %100 think straight. hehe. What was it again you said about SVID?

btw - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out here.

Raja@ASUS
03-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Something doesn't add up. You've either set something you shouldn't have or aren't setting things correctly. What I said about svid is in post 13.

mr_allroy
03-08-2018, 01:02 AM
I'm thinking that something isn't right with this BIOS. I've done exactly as you said. Set Additional Turbo to 1.2, left offset to auto, best-case scenario, even put LLC to 1 and the lowest voltage I can get is 1.46-1.48 fluctuating. Like I said, I've been able to dial this in a lot easier on my other boards. This one does not want me to go bellow 1.46 +

Maybe I have a bad CPU or Motherboard? I have until Saturday to return or exchange my motherboard and CPU.

Raja@ASUS
03-08-2018, 02:43 AM
Do this:

1) Update to the latest UEFI version from the sticky thread (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96800-Maximus-X-series-amp-Strix-Z370-UEFI-updates) (if you haven't already). If you're already running the latest build, clear CMOS.
2) Only set the CPU ratio, set SVID to best case, and set the Adaptive voltage. Do not change other settings. Don't try an Adaptive voltage that's below the default VID for a given ratio - example, 1.20V at a high ratio will result in the minimum VID for the ratio being applied.
3) Use the latest Hwinfo or CPU-Z to check the Vcore in the OS.

If that doesn't work, it suggests something is wrong with SVID. I've seen a delidded CPU with this issue because the PCB traces were damaged during IHS removal.

mr_allroy
03-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Hi Raja.

I ended up exchanging my CPU and now I'm afraid to try adaptive voltage as I think injecting 1.5 volts might have had negative effects to the other one. Right now I'm on 4.7GHz @ 1.19V manual. I'm happy with that for now. I appreciate your help and I actually learned quite a bit. Thank you.

jpmboy
03-10-2018, 04:31 PM
typo. 1.9V - right?

anyway, from a fresh cpu install you have a clean slate. try the process in this guide (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I_1Zhs3rT8K8bEtoY-9pS1P4Bvin9nZZ).

you can also get help here (http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1640168-asus-z370-motherboard-series-official-support-thread-31.html)

Raja@ASUS
03-11-2018, 04:37 AM
Hi Raja.

I ended up exchanging my CPU and now I'm afraid to try adaptive voltage as I think injecting 1.5 volts might have had negative effects to the other one. Right now I'm on 4.7GHz @ 1.9V manual. I'm happy with that for now. I appreciate your help and I actually learned quite a bit. Thank you.

Update to the latest uefi build. Unless you're setting things incorrectly, there should be no issue.

mr_allroy
03-11-2018, 07:02 PM
typo. 1.9V - right?

anyway, from a fresh cpu install you have a clean slate. try the process in this guide (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I_1Zhs3rT8K8bEtoY-9pS1P4Bvin9nZZ).

you can also get help here (http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1640168-asus-z370-motherboard-series-official-support-thread-31.html)

LOL, Total Typo! And I was complaining about 1.5v. It's changed. Actually, I'm at 1.185v and 47 on all cores now and stable so far. I think I'll ease into overclocking this one. I want to find my minimums first.

Asryan
11-06-2018, 09:07 AM
I have a similar issue

I tried to set up an adaptive profile at the same clocks.

SVID Enabled
SVID behavior : best case scenario
addtional turbo mode core : 1.265
offset -
IA DC Loadline : 0.01
IA AC Loadline : 0.01

But the vcore for what i see in HW monitor goes from 1.20 to 1.28 . Shouldn't it goes lower on idle?
I think I missed a setting somewhere..

Thanks for the help

markuaw1
11-06-2018, 05:01 PM
8700K 5 GHz adaptive voltage cinebench test /// https://youtu.be/-K7oVqttAUQ ///

wonderin
01-28-2019, 09:35 PM
are there any benefits in using manual core voltage?
should i set adaptive voltage using synced all cores?*

Guitarmageddon888
01-29-2019, 10:50 PM
are there any benefits in using manual core voltage?
should i set adaptive voltage using synced all cores?*

the only benefit to manual is that you can quickly come to your needed voltage for a given clock speed. It is slightly more complicated up front but it's really not hard at all. I would much prefer my chip to down volt and lower its frequency less reducing any long term stress that that could possibly cause. I've heard all the arguments about it's not the voltage or the frequency it's the load/current that kills chips but to be honest I just find that to be a cop out for people that gave up on trying adaptive. You can use a kaby lake guide and I found this one from raja and it worked straight out of the box. not sure why there was virtually zero adaptive guides for coffee lake but the one I linked works just the same.

https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

wonderin
01-30-2019, 10:27 AM
the only benefit to manual is that you can quickly come to your needed voltage for a given clock speed. It is slightly more complicated up front but it's really not hard at all. I would much prefer my chip to down volt and lower its frequency less reducing any long term stress that that could possibly cause. I've heard all the arguments about it's not the voltage or the frequency it's the load/current that kills chips but to be honest I just find that to be a cop out for people that gave up on trying adaptive. You can use a kaby lake guide and I found this one from raja and it worked straight out of the box. not sure why there was virtually zero adaptive guides for coffee lake but the one I linked works just the same.

https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

i'm using broadwell-e cpu, just curious why should i use adaptive when my manual voltage is not that high (1.28) and i have a decent cooling

Arne Saknussemm
01-30-2019, 10:30 AM
i'm using broadwell-e cpu, just curious why should i use adaptive when my manual voltage is not that high (1.28) and i have a decent cooling

Manual locks the voltage..so the CPU is receiving constant voltage even at idle. Adaptive allows Turbo voltage to be set while retaining speedstep so the CPU can down-clock and down-volt at lower loads. That's a good feature.

ThrashZone
01-30-2019, 02:21 PM
Hi,
Manual core voltage or anything can be unforgiving because if not enough it just fails
Where as offset and or adaptive offset is not a setting set in stone.

I really do prefer offset not adaptive
Just more simplistic not dealing with additional turbo which seems to do nothing anyway vid readings wise.