PDA

View Full Version : G752VY one of Usb port suddenly works only for 3.0 usb and does not work for 2.0 usb

dookooo
10-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Hello,
i have windows 10 64 , suddenly one of four usb ports started to work only with USB 3.0 , when i plug USB 2.0 device i only get power but no data at all , i tried installing USB drivers again and again but nothing happened , i also installed Kali live CD to see if it works there but nothing worked , i would appreciate if anyone can help me .

Thanks

Clintlgm
10-28-2017, 02:02 AM
try a different cable? otherwise you might have a damages pins in the socket

dookooo
10-29-2017, 08:57 AM
try a different cable? otherwise you might have a damages pins in the socket

Thanks for your reply , i tried different cables and USB Drives , only works for USB 3.0 , also i checked the socket and it was intact , nothing seems weird .

Is this a common problem .

Thanks

Clintlgm
10-29-2017, 01:02 PM
No not at all, usually the other way around. Basicly USB 2.0 has 5 connectors, USB 3.0 have 8 connectors they old type 1 plugs you notice only have connectors on one side of the plug. While USB 3.0 will have 4 on the up side and 4 on the down side. some of th newer plugs have these side by side. The controllers select either usb 3 or usb 2 by how many connections are made. the plugs are just that mechanical connectors for this to happen to just 1 port you pretty much have to have a disconnect of one or more of the 4 lead that are USB 2.0.
There may be some other technological reason for this to happen beyond my expertise? I remember when we have shadow devices remaining connected to our USB 1 ports that would cause issues but I think that has gone away with modern OS they way IRQ are handled now days?

dookooo
11-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your answer , it was really helpful as i understood what is going on with this port .

Thanks for your help :)