PDA

View Full Version : Maximus hero x z370 error code 96

Chimppen
11-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Hello,

I just bought my new motherboard Asus maximus hero x z370 to use with my new cpu i7 8700k. Everything worked fine at first but now suddenly i started getting the q-code 96, which means when reading in the manual the following "PCI Bus Assign Resources". Can someone please help me what whit what to do to fix it. I tried switching to the second pci-e slot and with that slot it seems to be working just fine. No q-code 96 at all. Does that meen that there is something wrong with my first pci-e slot?? I do want both of the pci-e slots to be working for future expandability.

Thankfull for answers!

Raja@ASUS
11-08-2017, 07:10 AM
Might be worth listing what you've got plugged into the board, the uefi version, and whether the system is overclocked or not.

Larenzu13
11-09-2017, 03:41 AM
Hi Raja@ASUS & Chimppen,

I have exactly the same issue with my Maximus X Hero WiFi AC motherboard!

Some extra findings:
- I noticed the "Error 96" happens only after a cold boot
- the only way for me to get to post is to unplug my screens from my graphic card (otherwise I get the "error 96"). I have to let the error pass then I plug the screens and it works... Again, it doesn't boot with only one screen, I have to unplugged both (dual screen setup here)
- activating / deactivating the Intel GPU in the bios doesn't have any impact
- when I have the error 96 showing up, the little light on the left next to it is white

My config:
- CPU: 8700k @ 5GHz (stable after a 24 hours with Prim95 stress test)
- Motherboard: Maximus X Hero WiFi AC - Bios 505
- RAM: G Skill B-Die (4x8 32 Gb) F4-3200C14-8GTZR
- VGA: EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 (Slot #1)
- SSD: 960 EVO 1Tb in the first slot (under the CPU)
- PSU: EVGA 850 G2

Everything else seems to work on the MB. If you need some extra info or test from my part, I can help.

Thanks!

Menthol
11-09-2017, 04:24 AM
Does it do this when bios is set to F5 defaults or after clearing cmos?
Memory settings XMP? manual, vccio, vcssa volts?
I think something is just not quite stable, code 96 is the code when the motherboard speaker beeps and the system posts in OS.

I have almost identical system
Hero Wifi, bios 0505
8700K @ 5.0, Gskill 32GB 4X8 3600CL16, 1080, 1T 960 Pro, AX1200 psu, Sound Blaster Ae5, Intel 750 pcie
Which LED is lite, VGA?

I was having an issue that I would have no video when resume from sleep, my monitors would stay dark 4K X 2, if I turned monitors off and back on video resumed as normal, I didn't do anything about it because it was to easy to turn monitor off and on again, now this part sounds stupid but I ran a driver update program that installed Intel Rapid Storage Drivers and my video resumes when I wake the PC from sleep, doesn't make sense to me but what do you do

Larenzu13
11-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Hi Menthol,

Thanks for answering quickly.

Does it do this when bios is set to F5 defaults or after clearing cmos?
Memory settings XMP? manual, vccio, vcssa volts?
I think something is just not quite stable, code 96 is the code when the motherboard speaker beeps and the system posts in OS

I just did the test. The MB goes into error 96 even after clearing CMOS.... Same symptoms: stuck at boot, no video. I have to unplug all my cable from the VGA card and plug one into the MB video output (iGPU). What is interesting is that, if I let one cable in the VFA card, the error comes up again...

Which LED is lite, VGA?
Yes, it is the VGA one, it is white.

I was having an issue that I would have no video when resume from sleep, my monitors would stay dark 4K X 2, if I turned monitors off and back on video resumed as normal, I didn't do anything about it because it was to easy to turn monitor off and on again, now this part sounds stupid but I ran a driver update program that installed Intel Rapid Storage Drivers and my video resumes when I wake the PC from sleep, doesn't make sense to me but what do you do

Accident happens! On my end, I have disabled the sleeping / hibernating feature on my PC (both SW/HW). I am sure it doesn't come from this.

For extra visibility, here are the settings of my bios:
XMP: ON @ 3200
MCE: OFF
SVID: Best Case Scenario
AVX: 2
CPU: All Cores
Xtrem Tweaking: OFF
CPU SVID: Enabled
CPU LLC: 6
IA AC: 0.01
IA DC: 0.01
CPU Core/Cache limit Max: 255.5
CPU Volt: 1.365
DRAM Volt: 1.35
VCCIO: 1.2
SA: 1.2125 (was at 1.25 before but still rock stable)
C STATE OFF
SpeedShift ON

I hope we will find a solution! If you need me to test some alpha/beta bios for solving this problem, I am IN.

Thanks

Raja@ASUS
11-09-2017, 03:54 PM
For debugging purposes, I'd keep the system at stock for now. How is the graphics card connected to the monitor - is it HDMI or DP? Just out of curiousity, try setting BCLK manually to 100.0, too.

Larenzu13
11-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Hi Raja@ASUS,

My 2 screens are using DP cable (144hz / GSync)

So here is what I have done:

Cleared the cmos
Deactivated MCE
Set the AI overclocking to manual (otherwise there is no BCLK setting)
Set the BCLK to 100

The result is the same, error 96.

Something I noticed while playing with the DP cables: I actually don't need to plug on of the cable into the iGPU. What I have to do is unplug both cables and the replug them. Then it boots, otherwise it is a NO GO.

Last detail, when I unplug the cable, the led on the card turn off... Might be important detail...

Raja@ASUS
11-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Do you have a HDMI cable you can try? Try a single HDMI with no DP.

Larenzu13
11-09-2017, 05:26 PM
BINGO!

I tried with on 1 HDMI cable and the issue is gone...

How can I use my card with DP cables? What are the next steps?

PS: the card was working perfectly in my previous build, with 2 DP cables

Larenzu13
11-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Hi Raja@ASUS,

As a heads up, I updated the bios to 802 and the error 96 is still present.

I don't want to sound impatient, but I would like to know from your end if this problem could be solved by a Motherboard bios update or should I contact the VGA manufacturer? Not being able to cold boot without unplugging all my vga cables is not really user friendly...

Thanks!

Raja@ASUS
11-14-2017, 03:19 PM
BINGO!

I tried with on 1 HDMI cable and the issue is gone...

How can I use my card with DP cables? What are the next steps?

PS: the card was working perfectly in my previous build, with 2 DP cables

Did you purchase those cables separately or were they supplied with the monitor?

Larenzu13
11-14-2017, 03:51 PM
I bought the cable separately... I never had this problem with my previous Motherboard . I just did a motherboard / CPU upgrade (z170 to z370). If the cable were the cause of the issue, I should have had it with the previous motherboard, correct?

For extra info, the two screens are :
- BenQ XL2430T
- BenQ XL2420G (G-Sync)

Raja@ASUS
11-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Those cables may be leaking DC back into the board. Cheap DP cables often connect pin 20 when they should not (non-compliant config). How it affects one board versus another depends on rail distribution. You may want to try with a different DP cable, such as one that shipped with the monitors, or try one from a reputable brand.

Larenzu13
11-14-2017, 05:36 PM
You were right, those cable were leaking DC to the GPU...

What a shame! I didn't buy them cheap neither! Feels bad ...

Do you have any advice on "reputable" brand for this specific item? I was thinking about StarTech : https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Cable-2m-1-2/dp/B0014BQQI4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1510679656&sr=8-7&keywords=display%2Bport%2Bstartech&th=1

Thanks again for your quick feedback and help!

Raja@ASUS
11-14-2017, 05:44 PM
You can try them, as Amazon should accept returns.