PDA

View Full Version : G702ZC - AMD-V virtualization possible? - solved with 303 bios?

darklajid
11-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Hi.

I got the above laptop yesterday. One of the things I plan(ned?) to do with it was running virtualization software.
Unfortunately
1) it comes with AMD-V disabled
2) I cannot find a setting in the EFI to enable it so far

Am I out of luck? Is that intentionally crippled? Or am I just missing something here?
Thanks!

darklajid
11-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Wasn't able to find any information either online or here, so I reached out to the ASUS support and will update this thread when I get a reply.
Would be a shame if I have 8/16 cores .. and couldn't use virtualization as I intended to.

Korth
11-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Have you tried enabling SVM in BIOS?

darklajid
11-10-2017, 07:31 AM
I haven't found an option for that (that said: This mouse based BIOS/EFI thing is certainly something I could get lost in).

If you have the same thing and actually see that option, then I'd be so glad if you could lend me a hand here.

Korth
11-10-2017, 08:40 AM
I don't have this laptop, sorry.

You could look through BIOS screenshots/videos of other ASUS B350 motherboards. Or methodically search your own, top to bottom. It might be called "SMT" (Simultaneous Multi-Threading) or "SVM" (Secure Virtual Machine). Analogous to Intel HyperThreading. I'd expect it to be enabled by default with an 8C/16T processor part, but you never know.

Maybe someone else here can offer better advice specific to your model, lol, though it might take a while.

darklajid
11-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Thanks, the idea with the screenshots wasn't bad. Unfortunately all the B350 screenshots are looking _completely_ different from what I have here.
So while that is the chipset for this laptop, it doesn't seem to be the same setup as far as I can tell.

I searched the screens already - they're not exactly filled with (editable) content. In fact, I'd say you can do very little. EZ (?) mode is basically nothing at all, Advanced (?) mode quite limited too.

So - I was hoping for someone chiming in and offering a way to unlock this thing into a usable state.

Yep - I too would expect this to be enabled by default. Unfortunately it is not, for all I can tell :-/ If that's an oversight that will be corrected: Fine. If that's a design decision I'd be quite grumpy...

Korth
11-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Are you certain you don't have multithreading enabled? How many Cores/Threads are reported by GPU-Z (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html)?

darklajid
11-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Wait. We're talking different things. I have 8 cores/16 threads enabled.
That's not what this is about.

This is about a feature that virtualization software (in this case: Hyper-V. Random other example to be more in-line with gaming laptop usage: Bluestack) requires. Either to work at all (Hyper-V) or to work somewhat decently/fast (Bluestack).

Intel calls this VT-X or something. AMD calls this AMD-V or SVM. It's not "Hyperthreading" that I care about (that is not even an option, but I have it enabled).

See https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003174386-How-can-I-enable-virtualization-VT-on-my-PC- for a random example of what I expect to have/be able to activate. Another example would be https://superuser.com/questions/1248269/can-hyper-v-run-on-amd-ryzen-processors (question is similar to mine, this is what I want to do. Accepted answer talks about the requirements and that - while basically all CPUs support that - you probably need to enable that first. I cannot enable it. Which is the reason for me being annoyed with this laptop at the moment)

darklajid
11-10-2017, 12:01 PM
See another example of my issue, this time as an image attachment.

Korth
11-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Hmm, seems like a "problem" specific to Bluestacks.

The AMD-V Detection Utility (http://download.amd.com/techdownloads/AMD-VwithRVI_Hyper-V_CompatibilityUtility.zip) might help. ** Edit: some users have reported malware warnings from this download, scan online (https://www.google.ca/search?q=online+scanner) and offline before installing **
https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us/articles/210806683-How-can-I-enable-virtualization-VT-on-my-PC-

Or you can try other Android emulators (http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Android_emulators). Sorry, I don't know anything about them - keep meaning to play/learn some Android dev but never seem to actually get around to it, lol.

darklajid
11-10-2017, 01:49 PM
No, it's really not (a Bluestack problem).

The AMD utility reports the same issue.
And my screenshot shows Windows (the task manager) showing 'Virtualization: Disabled'. THAT is what I want to fix. When this is 'Enabled' and something complains, then I'm going to blame that tool.

For now, this is a CPU feature (see SO link - there's a chipset feature for IOMMU as well) that is probably, most likely, available - but disabled. And I see no way to enable it myself.

Basically: It's not Hyperthreading. It's not Bluestack (or Android dev or anything). It's a CPU feature that these cores have. I want to enable it somehow.

Korth
11-10-2017, 05:22 PM
https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us/articles/210806683-How-can-I-enable-virtualization-VT-on-my-PC-
Any luck?

Clintlgm
11-10-2017, 10:41 PM
I would shoot off a PM to cl-albert he is an Asus Employee and should be up on this newer model.
Most of us using G7XX XX XXXX are all on Intel CPU and NVidia GPU. Virtualization is enabled or disabled in the BIOS/UEFI and Pro version of 7, 8, or 10 required to run any VM

cl-Albert
11-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately, we're not selling the G702ZC in the U.S. so don't have much information about it right now on my end, but it may be related to other models that we are selling here if you can help me check.

Anyway, it sounds like some kind of bios issue, so can you please tell us your bios version and the bios model that appears when running the bios EZ flash utility ?
Guessing the G702ZC is sharing the bios file with another model if you can verify which model name appears.

Otherwise, feel free to send me a PM at cl-Albert with your serial number if there are any problems to provide that information or if you just want to discuss privately.

It's probably a good idea to also contact your local ASUS support or store if they can help at all since there may be other customers in your region reporting the same issue.

Thanks.

darklajid
11-11-2017, 01:30 AM
I would shoot off a PM to cl-albert he is an Asus Employee and should be up on this newer model.
Most of us using G7XX XX XXXX are all on Intel CPU and NVidia GPU. Virtualization is enabled or disabled in the BIOS/UEFI and Pro version of 7, 8, or 10 required to run any VM

Thank you for this. Both the suggestion and for confirming that on the Intel side of things (this is my first ROG laptop) virtualization is obviously fine!

darklajid
11-11-2017, 01:45 AM
Unfortunately, we're not selling the G702ZC in the U.S. so don't have much information about it right now on my end, but it may be related to other models that we are selling here if you can help me check.

Thanks a lot!

Anyway, it sounds like some kind of bios issue, so can you please tell us your bios version and the bios model that appears when running the bios EZ flash utility ?
Guessing the G702ZC is sharing the bios file with another model if you can verify which model name appears.

There's only one BIOS (actually EFI, no?) available for this laptop so far, version number's 300 as far as I can tell. This one here: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/HelpDesk_BIOS/

The whole BIOS/EFI interface seems severely limited (even in 'advanced' mode). I wonder if this is some interim limitation ("This is a new laptop, a new hardware stack. We'll improve that in the near future") or by design.

This is what the cpuid tool says about the mainboard/chipset:

Otherwise, feel free to send me a PM at cl-Albert with your serial number if there are any problems to provide that information or if you just want to discuss privately.

Done

It's probably a good idea to also contact your local ASUS support or store if they can help at all since there may be other customers in your region reporting the same issue.

Did that. Received this response a couple days ago (not sure if I should follow-up/poke again): "With regards to your enquiry, we would like to inform you that we have elevated your concern/enquiry to our internal relevant department. Hence, we will revert back to you once we have received their feedback."
I read that as "We don't know either" for now..?

cl-Albert
11-11-2017, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the message/serial number, and yes just wanted to confirm your unit is using the GL702ZC bios and you have the latest 300 version.
Not sure if there is any setting we're missing, but will let you know if there is any news.

Otherwise, it's possible we might need to wait for a newer bios to be released, but too early to know if this is the case or not.
Yes, you may just want to follow-up on your end with ASUS support periodically as well just to let them know you are still interested and check back here as well.

darklajid
11-12-2017, 05:33 AM
Reached out to my local support again, appreciate the help here. Thanks for looking into this.

darklajid
11-13-2017, 08:13 AM
This is what my local support came back with:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Mail Support.
My name is Nas and it is my pleasure to assist you with your enquiry.

Upon escalation, kindly be informed that the current BIOS does not have function to enable AMD-V.

We appreciate your patience and looking forward to being of service to you again. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Well.. Thank you "Nas". No reason to blame the poor fellow, but that is outrageously stupid on ROG/Asus' part.
The first Ryzen based laptop. 8 cores (16 with threading)! And then they .. make it unusable. And the answer isn't helpful of course.. "The current BIOS (sic)" cannot do that? That's .. what I see as well.

It's maddening and if I'd had known this (artificial - it's not like the CPU cannot do this) limitation I wouldn't have bought this (expensive!) laptop. It takes most of the value out of this thing for me and I might need to sell it off/go buy a different laptop now. But I don't think it'll be a ROG or Asus one then. :-/

Reached out again with the obvious follow-up question: "Well .. great. Will you fix it though?"
Not really expecting a serious answer though - I kinda doubt that the local support team has the ability to reach the people that actually decide over things like this, so I expect a "no comment" or "at this point, no plans" canned reply.

MrRuckus
11-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Just Curious, what does it say for the CPU with CPUZ? Is this an exact desktop Ryzen CPU part, or is it a different mobile version? I know Intel would enable/disable certain features on HQ vs HK mobile parts. Does AMD do the same?

darklajid
11-14-2017, 03:23 AM
Attached a screenshot of that tool.

There currently ARE no laptop Ryzen cores [1] - they just got announced but no laptop with those made it to market yet afaik. I haven't seen any in the wild/shippable.

What Asus did here for this gaming thing is basically fitting a desktop into this monster shell. It's not exactly easy to lug around, turns far too hot but is supposedly powerful.

Checking AMD's site there are only two results for 'Ryzen 7 1700' [2]. Comparing both shows little differences and both(!) support virtualization. As they should..

I really doubt that AMD is to blame here and I'm unfortunately convinced that Asus messed it up big time :-/

1: http://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop
2: http://products.amd.com/en-us/compare?prod1=166&type1=CPU&prod2=146&type2=CPU&prod3=&type3=&prod4=&type4=&prod5=&type5=

Korth
11-14-2017, 05:13 AM
What Asus did here for this gaming thing is basically fitting a desktop into this monster shell. It's not exactly easy to lug around, turns far too hot but is supposedly powerful.
I really doubt that AMD is to blame here and I'm unfortunately convinced that Asus messed it up big time :-/
It actually looks like a good implementation (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-GL702ZC-Ryzen-7-1700-Radeon-RX-580-Laptop-Review.247548.0.html). I'm impressed by the cooler design, it looks robust enough for a (socketable) ~65W CPU and (soldered) ~185W GPU. It can run somewhat hot but surprisingly not very loud (compared to other laptops). And you could conceivably upgrade the CPU to a R7-1700 Pro, though that RX580 GPU is never going to be as good as a GTX1070.

Though the battery does seem kinda smallish for sustained peak performance. It's fairly thick and heavy for a 17" laptop - more of a pain to haul around but I happen to actually prefer solid and sturdy machines which don't feel flimsy or move around while in use. I didn't like the keyboard on the one I handled, I despise crowdy "cheap feeling" chiclets and membranes, but that's also a preference thing, not everyone types on clear Clears and Whites, lol.

darklajid
11-14-2017, 06:47 AM
It actually looks like a good implementation (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-GL702ZC-Ryzen-7-1700-Radeon-RX-580-Laptop-Review.247548.0.html). I'm impressed by the cooler design, it looks robust enough for a (socketable) ~65W CPU and (soldered) ~185W GPU. It can run somewhat hot but surprisingly not very loud (compared to other laptops). And you could conceivably upgrade the CPU to a R7-1700 Pro, though that RX580 GPU is never going to be as good as a GTX1070.

Not for my purpose and unfortunately there's no way to find out that this CPU is crippled w/o buying this thing as far as I can tell. That's what this thread is about anyway, right? :-(

Though the battery does seem kinda smallish for sustained peak performance. It's fairly thick and heavy for a 17" laptop - more of a pain to haul around but I happen to actually prefer solid and sturdy machines which don't feel flimsy or move around while in use. I didn't like the keyboard on the one I handled, I despise crowdy "cheap feeling" chiclets and membranes, but that's also a preference thing, not everyone types on clear Clears and Whites, lol.

The built seems fine. The keyboard is a POS (key quality is bad, the ROG key is completely meaning- and useless, sitting where a numlock should be, the power button is randomly part of the normal keyrow and is waiting to be pressed by accident and the keyboard has no 'End' key for reasons that I don't understand. You add a full keyboard incl. numpad, but .. no end key??). But that can be worked around with by using an external keyboard - I'm using a mechanical one myself.

I cannot fix a broken/crippled/limping CPU, so .. that's bad. So much worse than the keyboard.

The rest of the package seems quite nice. The screen is neat, the speakers are good, the touchpad serviceable. Comes with nice accessories (the backpack, for example) on top. It could've been great.

But they effed up the keyboard and completely ruined this thing for me with the virtualization issue. :-/

Clintlgm
11-15-2017, 02:18 PM
well you have no information in your profile so I don't know what country your in? Here in the US we usually have 30 days to return an DOA notebooks, If your still in that time slot your should do just that. The notebook is not performing as advertised. Get one that does perform as advertised or a refund depending on what vendor your working with.

darklajid
11-15-2017, 03:22 PM
well you have no information in your profile so I don't know what country your in? Here in the US we usually have 30 days to return an DOA notebooks, If your still in that time slot your should do just that. The notebook is not performing as advertised. Get one that does perform as advertised or a refund depending on what vendor your working with.

I'm in Singapore, but I'm an expat and have no idea about that here.
That said, I'm sure they (and first: the retailer, I didn't get it from Asus, I got it from a local chain of shops that carries Asus products here) would fight that. It would be a pain in the ass to do and cost me time, potentially money.

Right now "resell with a loss" seems the most easy solution. It works without fighting the @^*&^@#$%@ company that broke this laptop and gives me instant peace of mind. Need to see what the liabilities are for a resale here, but then it's basically "Bye ROG, you won't be missed". Sad.

It wasn't advertised as running with virtualization support enabled (even though basically every CPU has that, and the CPU inside supports it. So .. Asus just violated common sense and broke things that "should work"/"use to work", but they didn't claim that it does this on the package. Neither did they announce "Buy this gaming laptop, but your CPU will lack one arm and one leg" either. I wonder why...

Korth
11-15-2017, 03:37 PM
If this feature is something that can (should) be implemented in firmware then it's quite possible ASUS will include it in a future BIOS update. It doesn't seem like any sort of proprietary/licensing/certification conflict (like CSM or SLI or VROC or whatever), it seems to be an entirely arbitrary exclusion.

There are alternatives to Bluestack. Annoying that you might have to switch (because of a firmware issue which shouldn't even be present) but still maybe a better option than switching out the entire laptop.

Clintlgm
11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
have you actually spoken to an Asus person? even though your in Singapore I would PM cl-albert he may at least get you the straight information on what your notebook is capable of. I'm not really understanding your issue as all the G notebooks I have had were VM capable Pro version of OS has been required. So this is obviously over my experience. You can trust what cl-albert tells you and he can get you in touch with a Asus Employee in Singapore that might be able to help you?
In the past Asus has indeed had the Video part of Intel CPU disconnected, I guess cost had a lot to do with this and when it was enabled on the G750 models and others there were all kinds of issues. Like I said before your issue is over my knowledge.

cl-Albert
11-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay.

Darklajid has contacted me about this issue and I'm still waiting to get an answer from HQ about it if you want to give it more time, but it's usually a good idea to keep checking with your local ASUS support as well since it probably helps get something done if HQ hears about it that way as well.

Anyway, will let you know if I hear any updates or feel free to check back. thanks.

darklajid
11-16-2017, 06:13 AM
If this feature is something that can (should) be implemented in firmware then it's quite possible ASUS will include it in a future BIOS update. It doesn't seem like any sort of proprietary/licensing/certification conflict (like CSM or SLI or VROC or whatever), it seems to be an entirely arbitrary exclusion.

There are alternatives to Bluestack. Annoying that you might have to switch (because of a firmware issue which shouldn't even be present) but still maybe a better option than switching out the entire laptop.

Bluestack is not my issue. It runs, albeit slowly due to this missing feature. It's just a random emulator and I use it for gaming.
Hyper-V is something I _need_ and that I bought this thing for. I wanted a work laptop (mostly at a desk, rarely lug it around, power > portability) with 8/16 cores, running Hyper-V...

So the laptop is actually unfit for my work purposes. Evil persons might state 'Well, it is sold as a gaming laptop' - but there's no other Ryzen laptop on the market yet and the next in line will use the less powerful (but more efficient) mobile versions instead.. Bummer

darklajid
11-16-2017, 06:20 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay.

Darklajid has contacted me about this issue and I'm still waiting to get an answer from HQ about it if you want to give it more time, but it's usually a good idea to keep checking with your local ASUS support as well since it probably helps get something done if HQ hears about it that way as well.

Anyway, will let you know if I hear any updates or feel free to check back. thanks.

Appreciate that, thanks. My local support was entirely unhelpful (to the point that I don't quite believe that my question was understood) and replied:

"Can't enable it in the BIOS (sic)", I followed-up along the lines of "Well, I was searching for that option for hours, so that's expected. But .. can you find out if that will be fixed/supported in the future" to which I got the same reply "Already escalated it: Right now you cannot enable it in the BIOS". I replied again, saying "I get that, I do. I know! Will you fix it in an update?" and haven't seen a reply to that.

(Obviously the above is a terse version and not the real exchange..)

Korth
11-16-2017, 07:19 AM
lol there's a call center near my work, tech support and sales stuff - they're always understaffed, they're always hiring, their turnover is extremely high. I imagine the "techs" find it just as frustrating as the customers do.

MathiasMagnus
11-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Finnaly my account got approved for posting.

I have the very same issue as @darklajid. I am physicist (HPC and GPGPU, dominantly on AMD GPUs) and sysadmin, hence being able to run Hyper-V (or any other hypervisor) is a **must**. I was looking for a decent AMD GPU, and there were not many other options than the GL702ZC. The lack of AMD-V on such a beastly laptop ain't a dealbreaker for me, but very much a pain, because I cannot run VMs locally.

The way I imagine the lack of AMD-V support could have happened one of a few ways:

1. ASUS wanted a product real fast (the R7 1700 version became available just 2 weeks ago in Hungary where I live) and they release the product with a half baked BIOS. I certainly hope so they intend on finishing it up.
2. ASUS thought: gamers don't need that sh*t, we'll just omit implementing it in the BIOS. It's all for the better, enabling unused features marginally increases power consumption, so it will be 0.01% easier to cool the device.

So here's my 5 cents:

Dear ASUS,

the first time I bought a RoG notebook was 6 years ago, it was a G73Jh (Core i5-450M, Ati Mobility Radeon HD5870) which was a real beast at its time. I still take it to LAN parties and it runs demanding games like the new Unreal Tournament at playable framerates. ("playable" must be interpreted in a slightly liberal way, it's 6 years afterall.) The brand stole my heart, loved that rig and still do. For my GPGPU efforts though, I needed a GCN architecture dev box, so I went with a Lenovo Z50-75. A budget choice I have mixed feelings about to say the least: 2 years and the chassis hopelessly broke in the same location for both me and my collegue with the same laptop. We both decided to aim for less budget and search toward the high-end/premium side of the sepctrum. I was mostly looking for sexy 14" notebooks and then I saw the specs of the GL702ZC: love at first sight. The size wasn't really intimidating. I took my G73Jh to work every day on public transport, it was the minimal exercise an office rat like me needed.

Once I had it in my hands, the GL702ZC didn't fail to impress. Building with MSVC on 16 cores, running OpenCL and SYCL code on the RX 580 and after work playing games @60FPS was exactly what I was looking for. The series of amusement came to a halt when I tried to install Hyper-V.

The GL702ZC is a signature machine, and in case the aim was to demonstrate how to look over details, it is a major success. I know having a good reputation is a burden, because one has to live up to it with every product, but the RoG name is still catchy, so don't let it slip to the "good enough for gamers, but not a serious machine" level. We know the R7 1700 is AMD-V capable and we expect it to work. If the chipset is in any way incapable of realizing it, LET US KNOW (!) so we can take measures, may that be selling this otherwise damned fine piece of HW, or finding workarounds. Both will hurt recommendations, but less than the usual tech support answers we are able to receive. If it can work, then issue a new BIOS ASAP. Shipping of this product started a few months ago, that must've been enough time to cook up the missing parts of the BIOS.

Best regards,
a RoG fan

Please convey to the appropriate places.

darklajid
11-16-2017, 02:51 PM
I .. love you for saying that.

For the record: I'm new to the RoG brand. I'm a developer and gamer, I need Hyper-V to run multiple machines in isolation to emulate different deployments. Any machine I've seen for years could run Hyper-V (if you're not on Windows Home Edition or something). I was totally taken aback when I noticed that this one isn't able to do that. It _should_ be able to do that.

I agree with the previous post in that an official (aka: "Not the tech support I can contact") answer would help a lot, even if it's a "We can't do that" with 2-3 lines of "because..." would be helpful. Ideally - yes - this is an oversight. But then I have no clue if posts like mine (and his) are able to reach anyone at Asus that can actually do something about it?

Maybe the actual Asus guys on this forum could - if it's okay, if it doesn't cause problems for them - share if there's a feedback channel to the people that are in charge of the design and development of these products?

cl-Albert
11-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Still waiting to hear back from HQ about this on my end and hoping it's just a matter of time before a bios update can be released to support it, but still don't have any official confirmation that this will happen.

Anyway, was thinking you might also want to feedback to your local store/reseller in addition to your local support which hopefully HQ will hear about and take more seriously since it might be considered a lower priority request if only a few people are asking for it right now, etc.

There is a product feedback section on the ROG forums, but not really sure who is monitoring it and if this is the kind of issue that belongs there although might be worth a try.
HQ should be aware of this issue already since I have a pending case with them about it though, so hopefully I'll get some kind of update relatively soon. Thanks.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?293
(https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?293)

12tkram
11-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Hi cl-Albert, any news on feedback from HQ yet ? I raised a case with ASUS, their response was a bit werid ..

"It's our pleasure to help you solve your problem.
If you still have any technical issue,please feel free to contact Asus technical support team at https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/MailStatus.
Thank you.
Kind Regards,
Asus Technical Support Team "

That's it, no info relative to the question I asked about BSIO v300 not have SVM/AMD-V enabled and when would the ETA be for an update etc ..

I also filed a case with Amazon as that's where I bought the G702ZC so hopefully there will be some pressure there.

I also tweeted ASUS ASUSUK without any response as of yet .. we live in hope ..

cl-Albert
11-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Hi cl-Albert, any news on feedback from HQ yet ?

Hi (welcome to the forums by the way),

Unfortunately, still no update on my end from HQ, so sounds like it will take more time before we can find out what will happen...
Apologize for the delay.

12tkram
11-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Hi (welcome to the forums by the way),

Unfortunately, still no update on my end from HQ, so sounds like it will take more time before we can find out what will happen...
Apologize for the delay.

k bud, thanks for the response ..

12tkram
11-21-2017, 10:06 AM
k bud, thanks for the response ..

still in 2 minds whether to return the laptop to amazon, have a few weeks yet as its not fit for purpose, I run some VMs that do number crunching and without AMD-V its pointless :(

any idea on an ETA ? or just one of those "have to wait and see" situations ?

I need to be mindful as the window to return the laptop is creeping up, but if ASUS will definatley release an update with AMD-V switch then I will keep hold and wait it out.

cl-Albert
11-21-2017, 05:14 PM
I'd really rather wait to have a solution before saying anything in case there are any complications, but HQ finally sent me an update last night and mentioned

"Will enable CPU Virtualization/Hyper-V at next BIOS version.

ETA will be two or three weeks"

which I suppose I should share in case it actually happens.

I'm a bit of a worrier and don't expect this is an official reply or guarantee, so a good idea to be prepared for delays or changes of plans, but at least it sounds like we are planning to have a solution in the near future if you want to check back.
If you want to be safe and have the option to return the system without a restocking fee before your return window expires, it may be a good idea to do this and wait until solution is confirmed.
Apologize for the delay. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

12tkram
11-21-2017, 09:07 PM
I'd really rather wait to have a solution before saying anything in case there are any complications, but HQ finally sent me an update last night and mentioned

I'm a bit of a worrier and don't expect this is an official reply or guarantee, so a good idea to be prepared for delays or changes of plans, but at least it sounds like we are planning to have a solution in the near future if you want to check back.
If you want to be safe and have the option to return the system without a restocking fee before your return window expires, it may be a good idea to do this and wait until solution is confirmed.

That sounds promising, I will see what they say on my official support case, if it says something similar then alls good .. thanks again!! :)

darklajid
11-22-2017, 03:15 AM

Appreciate the update, unconfirmed or not. Thanks!

julienl2010
11-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I bought this laptop for virtualization purposes too.
What a (bad) surprise when I discovered yesterday that AMD-V could not be enabled !
I thought first I must be either stupid or blind so I googled "gl702zc amd-v" and I found your topic...
I just could not believe a laptop with such characteristics lacks virtualization features ! This machine should normally be born for that kind of use !
I opened a case too and am waiting, wondering if I bet on this future AMD-V enabled BIOS or if I return it back to my reseller (what a heartbreak in this case)

It is the only laptop with ryzen and I feel like a beta tester for a prototype.
It might be a nice job but for now I need stability, working on cisco certification process.

Anyway, thanks for the informations and keep us informed, I will follow the topic and share the answer to my opened case when I get it.

Sorry for my poor english, I'm french :o

Clintlgm
11-22-2017, 05:02 PM
My experience would say that its not going to happen. I have no Idea about AMD cpu or gpu, but with Asus if its suppose to have it and doesn't it will be like TB was on the G75VW few if any ever got it. the G75VX did get it. Something as basic and VM didn't get over looked it was left out intentionally perhaps similar to the onboard graphics on the Intel chips. they did activate it on the G750 models and it was problem after problem so it was dropped again with the release of the G751.
I think if this were my situation I would send it back as DOA to Amazon, and purchase a Notebook with Intel CPU. Just MHO

cl-Albert
11-22-2017, 05:41 PM
My experience would say that its not going to happen. I have no Idea about AMD cpu or gpu, but with Asus if its suppose to have it and doesn't it will be like TB was on the G75VW few if any ever got it. the G75VX did get it. Something as basic and VM didn't get over looked it was left out intentionally perhaps similar to the onboard graphics on the Intel chips. they did activate it on the G750 models and it was problem after problem so it was dropped again with the release of the G751.
I think if this were my situation I would send it back as DOA to Amazon, and purchase a Notebook with Intel CPU. Just MHO

It's definitely the safer approach just to confirm the solution is available before purchasing this notebook, but HQ did (unofficially?) indicate there were plans to solve this in a future update, so expect we will be able to get a solution for this for anybody that is 'stuck' with the unit.

I didn't find out the reason for the omission, but AMD notebooks are not very common for ASUS and the G702ZC may be our first Ryzen based notebook, so perhaps it was just an oversight and/or something that required more time to implement.

If the hardware is capable of supporting it, makes sense we would release a bios solution to support this particular feature which is available on most or all our Intel CPU based notebooks.

We may get a better idea in a few weeks of the situation for those that are interested and any customers with this notebook (or planning to purchase?) may want to follow-up with their local ASUS support just to let HQ know customers worldwide are asking about it and it's not being requested by just one ASUS employee monitoring the ASUS forums : ) .
My indications are that ASUS HQ is interested in supporting this feature though, but again probably doesn't hurt to remind them through your local ASUS support.
Thanks.

darklajid
11-23-2017, 03:47 AM
For the others ZC owners in here: Would you mind looking at my other thread [1], telling me if this is something you see on your machines as well?
I'm going mad here..

1: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97568-G702ZC-Broken-UIs-all-over-the-places&p=687548&viewfull=1#post687548

12tkram
11-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Just a quick update on both my support cases with ASUS .. as listed above, no official announcement yet, but they are going to speak with HQ and feedback as soon as they can ( no timescale given )

Also, on a side note, if you are going to use linux as the virtualisation host, then you may need to consider the following npt kernel patch

https://level1techs.com/article/patch-npt-ryzen-better-performance
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/guide-package-ryzen-npt-acs-patches-into-fedora-kernel-package/121481

I also hear that qemu doesn't deal nicely with hyper-threading on Ryzen

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ryzen+qemu+hyperthreading&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=eBIYWoueDqOn8wewiI7IAQ

might have to pin on the host and then set affinity on the guest maybe as a work around

lots to consider :?

TMM2K
11-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Before seeing this thread I contacted my local Asus support. They contacted HQ and told me that AMD-V will be supported in next BIOS.

Not sure if that constitutes an official reply? But I got it through Asus support and there was no 'maybe' or anything. I asked for an ETA but that was not possible.

So I assume that unless Asus will just not create a BIOS update for this machine at all AMD-V will be supported some time soonish?

Clintlgm
11-28-2017, 09:14 PM
Yes I guess you could ass u me that

LifeInMono
11-28-2017, 09:51 PM
I think this is a kind of deceit. when people buy this notebook (include me) they think it must have Virtualization support (AMD-V / SVM) but it doesn't and the seller didn't mention it. They only says "THIS HAS RYZEN 1700" and that's it. There are many laptops with INTEL i7 7700HQ + GTX1070 on (even) lower price than GL702ZC also. Anywhere on internet such as youtube, review site and even product home ASUS didn't say it has no SVM. ASUS should have notified to customer about this lackage. The truth they deceived customers won't be changed even if they will add AMD-V with bios update.

TMM2K
11-28-2017, 11:29 PM
The truth they deceived customers won't be changed even if they will add AMD-V with bios update.

My guess is they had a list of features to complete for their gold master release and they forgot to put this on it, or they just didn't put it on the list of features to test. I highly doubt this was nefarious or even that someone purposefully removed it. They probably have some kind of standard bring up checklist and I'd guess that virtualisation extensions just aren't on that checklist for gaming notebooks.

For me at least if Asus comes with a firmware update in the next couple of weeks I'd be a happy customer. Not as happy as if the firmware was coreboot based of course ;)

darklajid
11-29-2017, 02:34 AM
I too believe that this is a (sad, unfortunate, weird - but not nefarious) oversight.

This laptop is a first and I guess this just didn't come up internally. At least - that's what I want to believe.
Right now I'm struggling to work with this thing, because I really, really should work in HyperV instances and so far have trouble running stuff locally (and stupid as I am I wiped my previous Intel based laptop in parallel with setting this one up, so I can't go back for a while without investing time to get that one up and running again).

I would be a satisfied customer if this comes out in a low single digit number of weeks..

lss41771
11-29-2017, 06:32 AM
Apparently the SVM feature is included in the BIOS, just that it's disabled by default and is not visible to users, so it's very likely this feature might be provided in later BIOS updates, possibly along with some others that were also hidden.

Actually, someone modified the BIOS file to set the SVM Mode option enabled from inside, then flashed it back externally using a Raspberry Pi with a wired SOP8 clip (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-rog-gl702zc-owners-lounge.809882/page-13#post-10637115), as it looks like that flashing of modified BIOS is restricted due to protection. It was confirmed that the SVM does function properly after enabling it this way. Given it can be quite complicated (due to the tools needed) I don't recommend trying this, but it should be enough to explain that the SVM is indeed present, so we can keep our hopes high.

darklajid
11-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Awesome, thanks for the link!

If all else fails I will definitely do that. By which I mean I will find someone that is able to do that for me :)

What kinda annoys me after a couple minutes of researching about AMIbcp and the solution in that post is .. how easy it would be to fix this oversight for Asus. It's in there, it's just disabled and can be enabled for the final build with a single click...

cl-Albert
11-29-2017, 05:45 PM
What kinda annoys me after a couple minutes of researching about AMIbcp and the solution in that post is .. how easy it would be to fix this oversight for Asus. It's in there, it's just disabled and can be enabled for the final build with a single click...

I 'm not familiar with the process to release new bios versions and may be completely wrong about this, but even if the bios solution is as easy as you mentioned, expect ASUS cannot release an official or approved bios until it has gone through more thorough testing just to confirm there are not any unintended side-effects or bugs.

Or said another way, it may be easy to solve this virtualization issue, but it may take more time or testing just to confirm this fix doesn't cause other problems with unrelated applications so some testing needs to be done for this as well.

lss41771
11-30-2017, 12:54 AM
I 'm not familiar with the process to release new bios versions and may be completely wrong about this, but even if the bios solution is as easy as you mentioned, expect ASUS cannot release an official or approved bios until it has gone through more thorough testing just to confirm there are not any unintended side-effects or bugs.

Or said another way, it may be easy to solve this virtualization issue, but it may take more time or testing just to confirm this fix doesn't cause other problems with unrelated applications so some testing needs to be done for this as well.

If this is simply a matter of "not yet thoroughly tested" then I think it'll eventually be tested and be available given the Ryzen laptop is still new. The BIOS also does contain a few more features that are not yet visible to users, so these might also be in the same bucket as the SVM Mode.

Will look forward to the next BIOS update that'll hopefully enable more capabilities from this laptop. :-)

darklajid
11-30-2017, 07:09 AM
I'm not convinced that this is a test thing - but of course I don't know any details myself.

My expectation is that this is literally "just" a flag in the BIOS/EFI and that is provided by someone else. No idea how AMD handles this feature, but afaik for Intel this is really just a flag in the MSR that unlocks new instructions. Asus, for all I believe, creates neither the BIOS/EFI in house nor are the CPUs theirs. I'm not sure what you'd need to test here.

Right now I'm looking into the workaround in the linked post, but I have trouble sourcing the components in a reasonable way (recently moved to Singapore, no clue about electronic markets here so far).

lss41771
11-30-2017, 10:01 AM
I'm not convinced that this is a test thing - but of course I don't know any details myself.

My expectation is that this is literally "just" a flag in the BIOS/EFI and that is provided by someone else. No idea how AMD handles this feature, but afaik for Intel this is really just a flag in the MSR that unlocks new instructions. Asus, for all I believe, creates neither the BIOS/EFI in house nor are the CPUs theirs. I'm not sure what you'd need to test here.

I'm not sure about the exact reason, but it's likely it hasn't been thoroughly tested to ensure the issue would not have side effects, such as causing system errors, or worse, rendering the laptop unable to boot (black screen). But as the user on that forum who attempted the BIOS flash had no issues with SVM enabled that way, the laptop's BIOS most likely doesn't have any real issues with SVM, even if it hasn't been tested yet.

EDIT: Don't know if ASUS could release beta firmware if needed, but if the problem of SVM being disabled remains uncorrected for too long it's likely to hamper its sales in the long run as having a high core count definitely makes it a good choice for putting up VMs, and having SVM disabled defeats that purpose.

hahataxi
12-01-2017, 06:51 AM
seems they have been looking into this issue since last week, and facing some issues found when enable the CPU VT feature.
anyway, they may update the BIOS on website after the verification of BIOS pass. hope would be next week!

darklajid
12-01-2017, 06:57 AM
seems they have been looking into this issue since last week, and facing some issues found when enable the CPU VT feature.
anyway, they may update the BIOS on website after the verification of BIOS pass. hope would be next week!

Thanks for the contribution here. Can you say where you got that information from? It sounds as if you're in contact with Asus or have another information source. If the latter, can you link that here?

LifeInMono
12-06-2017, 06:41 AM
I ordered cable and prepared Raspberry pi 3 because I couldn't wait neither believe SVM would be added soon (or never). As of now I think this laptop is not stable, sometimes BSOD on boot, because of their bios customization) I guess. I'll post the result as soon as I modify bios and test.

TMM2K
12-06-2017, 08:43 AM
As of now I think this laptop is not stable, sometimes BSOD on boot, because of their bios customization) I guess.

I'm sorry to hear your laptop isn't stable for you but I don't think this is due to Asus messing up the BIOS in this case. I don't run Windows on my laptop and I don't have any stability issues with this machine at all. Usually Linux seems to be more susceptible to poor system firmware when it comes to stability problems as generally these machines are only tested for Windows stability. Any firmware bugs affecting Linux are usually not found.

Some people elsewhere have commented that for Windows use the system is more stable with a custom reinstall rather than the Asus provided OS image, however. You may want to try that.

lss41771
12-07-2017, 02:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear your laptop isn't stable for you but I don't think this is due to Asus messing up the BIOS in this case. I don't run Windows on my laptop and I don't have any stability issues with this machine at all. Usually Linux seems to be more susceptible to poor system firmware when it comes to stability problems as generally these machines are only tested for Windows stability. Any firmware bugs affecting Linux are usually not found.

Regarding messing up the BIOS... it's just that some BIOS features are still kinda WIP and nothing else. Given my experience on Linux I don't think there are any serious specification violations (UEFI, ACPI, etc.) present with this laptop, so it's safe to run Linux, and the installation of the most recent Linux versions shouldn't be much a problem.

As of now there's still not yet any news regarding BIOS about this laptop, so for now, formal SVM support is still in a "soon(TM)" state...

I'm having a few hard freezes with Manjaro Linux on this laptop as well, though I suspect the issue might be related to r8168 as it happened mostly when I was downloading and installing packages through wired connection. Removing r8168 and reactivating r8169 seemed to have suppressed the hard freeze issue, but r8169 appears to have (unconfirmed) issues with power management as the ongoing AUR downloads can fail when the screen closes (locks).

I've replaced the onboard Realtek wireless module (Bluetooth not functional in Linux) with Intel 8265 and now exclusively using wireless for internet connection. So far the connection looks good, with no hard freezes observed, and the Bluetooth can be used. I'm still considering an alternative for wired connections, though I personally consider USB-to-RJ45 solutions from ASIX (such as AX88179) a better idea as I had positive experience with those.

For installing Linux, you probably need at least a Linux distro with a 4.14 kernel to at least make most of the stuffs work out of box and to avoid facing too many issues with the installation, such as Manjaro 17.1-pre3 (XFCE recommended). So far everything works (keyboard backlight, brightness settings and so also works), except the touchpad (though I personally don't like it as even under Windows it can be a nuisance when typing as my palm often get unintentionally registered that I often have to find a way to disable it when I have a mouse attached).

Still, additional cooling might be needed for this laptop, as temperature can affect system stability as well. With only the laptop's own cooling it can still easily reach above 80 Celsius. While it still functions, it's not really advised to run it under such temperature for too long.

TMM2K
12-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Regarding messing up the BIOS... it's just that some BIOS features are still kinda WIP and nothing else. Given my experience on Linux I don't think there are any serious specification violations (UEFI, ACPI, etc.) present with this laptop, so it's safe to run Linux, and the installation of the most recent Linux versions shouldn't be much a problem.

Yeah, I don't have any stability issues with Linux here either.

I've replaced the onboard Realtek wireless module (Bluetooth not functional in Linux) with Intel 8265.

I've done the same thing. The staging driver for the built-in wireless wasn't very stable for me.

So far everything works (keyboard backlight, brightness settings and so also works), except the touchpad

The touchpad not working seems to have something to do with the kernel .config, it is actually supported. I have a repository which makes it all work here: https://notabug.org/hp/linux-gl702zc it's basically just a 4.14.3 kernel tree with a patch for k10temp and a .config which makes the touchpad work.

the laptop's own cooling it can still easily reach above 80 Celsius. While it still functions, it's not really advised to run it under such temperature for too long.

I've seen this too, it is however possible to manually force it to go to a higher cooling state. It appears that by itself it will never really go over cooling state '3' using the ec-probe tool from nbfc you can force it to cool harder (although with the obvious downside of it getting louder) the ec registers for the fans are 0x97 and 0x98 for the left and right fan respectively. The values can go between 0 and 8. I found that at level '4' a make -j16 of Linux will still keep temps in the high 60s rather than high 80s.

Something that also helps quite a bit is some experimentation I've done with the powerplay table for the rx580, the 'stock' voltages supplied by asus seem much higher than necessary. See this https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/general-hardware/961327-asus-rog-strix-gl702zc?p=992308#post992308 this makes the laptop run a lot cooler also

M.Komas
12-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I'e also the same problem :/

I bought this laptop for virtualization purposes too.
What a (bad) surprise when I discovered yesterday that AMD-V could not be enabled !
I thought first I must be either stupid or blind so I googled "gl702zc amd-v" and I found your topic...

LifeInMono
12-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Hi,

I'e also the same problem :/

The majority might buy this crippled beast with the same purpose not the minority because they had been able to buy i7 7700HQ with GTX1070 at even lower price.

lss41771
12-10-2017, 03:00 PM
The majority might buy this crippled beast with the same purpose not the minority because they had been able to buy i7 7700HQ with GTX1070 at even lower price.

8C/16T laptops are quite new, so it's no surprising people'd want that for VMs and emulators (like Bluestacks). Leaving SVM disabled defeats that purpose. For the time being I've not heard of any 8C/16T Intel powered laptops out there.

It's been about two weeks since I got my unit, and it's about a month since this thread started. Still no news for new BIOS update that supposedly get all necessary features available. Even that, it's still a unit with good potential.

I'm still preparing the new unit for work, and without SVM enabled I could not continue setting things up anytime soon, as I also need to set up VM environments, some of which require SVM.

LifeInMono
12-11-2017, 07:22 AM
8C/16T laptops are quite new, so it's no surprising people'd want that for VMs and emulators (like Bluestacks). Leaving SVM disabled defeats that purpose. For the time being I've not heard of any 8C/16T Intel powered laptops out there.

It's been about two weeks since I got my unit, and it's about a month since this thread started. Still no news for new BIOS update that supposedly get all necessary features available. Even that, it's still a unit with good potential.

I'm still preparing the new unit for work, and without SVM enabled I could not continue setting things up anytime soon, as I also need to set up VM environments, some of which require SVM.

The latest bios update is 10/27/17 and still no SVM, I guess they won't make it possible in this year or never because either GL702ZC has a fault to use SVM or they might focus on product with next gen Ryzen (mobile). I still think this product is NOT reliable and stable, for example some monitor (LG 21:9 wide monitor) doesn't work with hdmi link. might be because RX580 on GL702ZC itself is not standard (downclocked and modified only use 68watt).

darklajid
12-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Right now it's a good idea, poorly executed. And mostly for that flag alone. (I could rant about the keyboard, but .. that's less relevant)

If someone asks me today if this laptop is recommended, I will reply in the negative because it is crippled without SVM. I'm still unable to use HyperV (Bluestack is a different thing, HyperV is important. Bluestack would be nice to have). This is a problem every single day and my local (Singapore) support was neither able to parse basic, simple English sentences nor helpful in the slightest, so I have no personal way to escalate this anywhere. Hope you had more luck.

lss41771
12-12-2017, 03:34 AM
The latest bios update is 10/27/17 and still no SVM, I guess they won't make it possible in this year or never because either GL702ZC has a fault to use SVM or they might focus on product with next gen Ryzen (mobile). I still think this product is NOT reliable and stable, for example some monitor (LG 21:9 wide monitor) doesn't work with hdmi link. might be because RX580 on GL702ZC itself is not standard (downclocked and modified only use 68watt).

There (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/general-hardware/961327-asus-rog-strix-gl702zc/page2) are already bug reports filed about this matter and ASUS did response stating the next BIOS will have it enabled.

The only problem is that the new BIOS is still soon(TM)... I can wait, but I sincerely hope this can be realized by the end of this year, so I can start my work on this brand new laptop starting next year...

yoliny
12-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Hello guys!

I have this laptop for few days now and i bought it mostly for virtualization because i work with different programs and for his monster cpu.

I was shocked when i saw amd-v supported but cant be enabled from bios.

I have one question and its very important for me: will be an update who will solve this problem and make this laptop with virtualization 100% or not?

Because i have the posibility to return him in next days, after these days i cant do this anymore.

I saw on some forums, updates like this can be done up to 5 months, i cant stay 4-5 months without working.

In my country price is close to 2000 usd, those money are not pocket change for some of us, thats why i cant keep it so long just for watching movies and browsing.

What you say me to do? Keep it or return it? The update will come soon? up to 1 month i found it resonable, but for me its a mistery/enigma how a monster system like this not have a small options like amd-v. Mind blowing. Speechless.

Best regards and thank you in advance.

darklajid
12-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Hello guys!

I have this laptop for few days now and i bought it mostly for virtualization because i work with different programs and for his monster cpu.

I was shocked when i saw amd-v supported but cant be enabled from bios.

I have one question and its very important for me: will be an update who will solve this problem and make this laptop with virtualization 100% or not?

Because i have the posibility to return him in next days, after these days i cant do this anymore.

I saw on some forums, updates like this can be done up to 5 months, i cant stay 4-5 months without working.

In my country price is close to 2000 usd, those money are not pocket change for some of us, thats why i cant keep it so long just for watching movies and browsing.

What you say me to do? Keep it or return it? The update will come soon? up to 1 month i found it resonable, but for me its a mistery/enigma how a monster system like this not have a small options like amd-v. Mind blowing. Speechless.

Best regards and thank you in advance.

Hard to give a recommendation for anyone, I guess. Here's a random subjective opinion from a stranger on the internet. Treat it as such.. :)

No official source has (openly, publicly) claimed that this is going to be fixed, as far as I know. Some people claim they got the 'Yeah, we will get around fixing that" reply, either internally (see posts from Asus employees on this board) or externally as support replies (I .. really don't trust those at all, based on the level of understanding I received locally. I would treat those as canned "whatever enables me to close the ticket" replies until proven otherwise).

There's also no timeline for the fix, as you already know.

So: You say you _need_ that feature. I'd return the laptop in your case. It's not cheap (yes, far more expensive gaming laptops exist, but this is still quite a lot of money) and it's plain broken for your use case as you stated yourself.

I kept mine, mostly because while I can curse and swear at Asus for making this mistake (choice?) in the first place, I can still play games with this thing and work with my old Thinkpad. If you rely on SVM, hand it back. And tell the guys you bought it from that Asus messed up big time, if you do.

(Also, for me personally the keyboard is really, really annoying and bad. Couldn't imagine using it without an external keyboard for anything serious)
Play with it for a day, decide how important SVM really is and ... just return it

hahataxi
12-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the contribution here. Can you say where you got that information from? It sounds as if you're in contact with Asus or have another information source. If the latter, can you link that here?

yeah...from asus cs, and even its difficult to get the info for this issue i really want, just got one helpful(maybe..) couple days ago. They are verifying the new bios for AMD-VT enabled, but still have some bugs to figure out. and they will try their best to release it by this year. anyway, i will still wait then...

yoliny
12-19-2017, 07:43 PM
i have returned this laptop, i was extremly pissed doing this return because everything its ultra on it. Love it, but bad attitude by ASUS with customers and i can say "stupidity" for not doing with "virtualization" or an update at least. STUPID.

What you recommend for me guys on this buget? Im looking for performance on cpu ( more threads ) for virtual machines like memu and other adroid, tablets aplications, multi tasking and so on.

LifeInMono
12-19-2017, 08:53 PM
I did bios modification and SVM is on (exactly, I unlocked some features to 'USER'), everything is alright except poor wifi (will be replaced with intel dualband)
and 'garbage' Realtek 8822E.

I highly recommend bios modification if you still have GL702 but for the risk and labor.
They must know this will occur problem since they sold this and now It's been at least 3months passed without modification.
I think they will never.
They even don't modify the download link of wifi adapter driver on their homepage yet.
(you can get it from LENOVO homepage with googling)

IN MY OPINION, they failed this product
and just avoiding the result. Their newer product with Ryzen 1600x itself is unacceptable.

lss41771
12-22-2017, 06:48 AM
It's been quite a while. I've been very busy with work as a lot of stuffs needed to be done by the end of the year.

Given the protection mechanisms incurred with the recent laptops regading BIOS, I think it's possible that for consumer products, the BIOSes for many devices have to be submitted (signed) all at once and then be released on a particular day. Enterprise products might get upgrades earlier given the high demands for security and reliability in those fields. If that's the case, we can only wait.

Even now I'm not certain about the exact reason why ASUS is intentionally hiding this feature. I bought it anyway as there were positive claims that the VM will be available in the next BIOS. I pretty much wanted something that had much more resources than my current laptop, which is powered by AMD A8-3500M, for my work and development, as well as my own pleasure.

The hardware is good in overall, and given the fact it's using a desktop socket, if upgrading the CPU could be proven possible, it can save a lot in the long run.

EDIT: There was a news about the release plans for the Intel Security Hole (https://www.asus.com/News/q5R9EixxfAqo1anZ) which involves a lot of other models. The release date was set to January, 2018 for non-commercial models. This date might also be the release date for other stuffs as well. I cannot be so sure about this, but I sincerely hope things will eventually work out.

darklajid
12-23-2017, 07:31 AM
EDIT: There was a news about the release plans for the Intel Security Hole (https://www.asus.com/News/q5R9EixxfAqo1anZ) which involves a lot of other models. The release date was set to January, 2018 for non-commercial models. This date might also be the release date for other stuffs as well. I cannot be so sure about this, but I sincerely hope things will eventually work out.

It would be exceptionally stupid to tie an update for AMD CPUs to a release specifically for Intel ME vulnerabilities in my book. There's no way to explain that away.

By now I'm getting quite angry and annoyed. This issue should be well-known. The fix can be trivial (if you're fine with taking about the laptop and have access to the right tools), as demonstrated by another user already. The unwillingness to make good for their error _in a timely manner_ is completely crazy at this point.

lss41771
12-23-2017, 10:51 AM
It would be exceptionally stupid to tie an update for AMD CPUs to a release specifically for Intel ME vulnerabilities in my book. There's no way to explain that away.

By now I'm getting quite angry and annoyed. This issue should be well-known. The fix can be trivial (if you're fine with taking about the laptop and have access to the right tools), as demonstrated by another user already. The unwillingness to make good for their error _in a timely manner_ is completely crazy at this point.

Yeah, I've been trying my best to keep myself from reaching the patience's limit...

It's almost a month since I got my unit, yet there are still no news about a formal fix for this issue. I prefer avoiding doing something that risky for the time being as the device is still under warranty, but if ASUS is not doing anything to get the SVM issue fixed then I'll have no choice but to actually conducting the modding and flashing manually.

But anyway, considering how they deal with such a trivial problem, maybe I'll think twice before getting another ASUS product from now on.

f.courtault
12-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone,

I finally have received an official answer for Asus support December, the 21st :-)
They will release, within 2 weeks, a new BIOS version that will support AMD Virtualization.
Currently this new BIOS version is in a test phase.

Good news isn't it !

Best regards.

lss41771
12-28-2017, 01:27 AM
Hello everyone,

I finally have received an official answer for Asus support December, the 21st :-)
They will release, within 2 weeks, a new BIOS version that will support AMD Virtualization.

Good news isn't it !

Best regards.

Still "within 2 weeks"... It's been quite a while since the thread started and many who had already filed the bug to the support had received similar replies implying the new BIOS is coming soon(TM)... <sigh>

Originally I wanted to get the unit prepared for work before the end of the year, but now I think it's not possible anymore given it's almost time for a "Happy New Year"...

MathiasMagnus
12-29-2017, 08:38 AM
Hello everyone,

Good news isn't it !

Best regards.

Good news indeed.

Unfortunately, I wanted to test a Windows Subsystem for Linux feature (launching VS Code from WSL (https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/13138#issuecomment-354415475)) that would greatly boost my performance in a Linux to Windows porting effort, and currently it's only available on the Insider Fast Ring. I wanted to test it in a VM in case something goes wrong my main OS is unaffected and I only had time to test over the holidays. Entered Fast Ring on my main OS and indeed the feature works but Edge is so unstable it is borderline unusable.

lightistor
12-30-2017, 12:05 AM
They seem to have released the BIOS update (303) and I can confirm that SVM can now be enabled from the BIOS.
Did not have an issue with qemu on Ubuntu (17.14)
Though I have yet to run any virtualization on Windows via Hyper-V as I am busy updating to W10 Pro so that I can enable it.

Edit: Just noticed its not yet published in the US site (Though it is available in Turkey site: https://www.asus.com/tr/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/HelpDesk_Download/)

lss41771
12-30-2017, 07:49 AM
I found the latest BIOS, but when flashing using the built-in EZ Flash 3 the system for some reason froze completely at halfway and now I have no other choice but to attempt a manual flash using a SPI programmer as the flashing obviously failed and couldn't boot anymore... but I dunno how much I need to disassemble in order to reach the chip. I do have a SPI programmer and clip at hand.

Guess even ASUS' own utility isn't reliable after all as I never had serious issues like this in the past...

EDIT: Somehow the board came off on its own and I'm able to find the chip in question on the back side of the board... manual flashing is in progress and I'll check if the BIOS is really working as intended... but anyway I'd never bother flashing the BIOS of this one ever again...

EDIT 2: Okay, I got the latest BIOS flashed the hard way, at the cost of the unit's SN (not a big deal other than warranty related issues anyway)... but again, I just wanted to say that the BIOS nowadays has grown way too complicated to do in-system flashing anymore... Anyway, the new BIOS can now properly enable SVM mode and the PC should now work as intended.

TMM2K
12-30-2017, 08:37 AM
I just flashed 303 also and (nested) KVM works for me on a Fedora 27 host also. This laptop now does everything I wanted it for, huzzah.

TMM2K
12-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Because the person above me had problems flashing let me describe the exact steps I took for a successful flash:

* unzipped the BIOS package
* formatted a USB drive with a 1gb fat32 partition
* copied the BIOS file to the root of the drive
* powered off the machine (not a reboot)
* put the USB stick in the left side USB port
* turned the computer on
* enter BIOS immediately (f2)
* went through the EZ flash steps

The flash process took about 10 - 15 minutes it think.

lss41771
12-31-2017, 01:43 AM
Because the person above me had problems flashing let me describe the exact steps I took for a successful flash:

* turned the computer on

It's just that EZ Flash might not be as reliable as to boot into a DOS environment and use a flasher capable of flashing the capsule (BUPDATER, maybe, but ASUS is not providing it for this laptop). With EZ Flash 3 I think you're *advised* to use a small, empty USB drive just to be safe, and ASUS is not warning you about that in the utility because it's *supposed* to be "EZ" as in "easy".

Because of this unreliability, I ended up spending 2 more hours figuring out how to take the mainboard off the laptop so I can attach my SPI programmer to the MXIC 128Mbit (16MB) SPI flash chip on the back side of the board. I've now recovered the system, but I lost the device S/N in the process (the S/N and MAC now reads N/A, but it has no apparent impact when using Linux).

Anyway, the new BIOS can indeed enable SVM and then virtualization features can work as intended, just be careful when using EZ Flash as it might not be "easy" at all.

TMM2K
12-31-2017, 03:08 AM
It's just that EZ Flash might not be as reliable as to boot into a DOS environment and use a flasher capable of flashing the capsule (BUPDATER, maybe, but ASUS is not providing it for this laptop). With EZ Flash 3 I think you're *advised* to use a small, empty USB drive just to be safe, and ASUS is not warning you about that in the utility because it's *supposed* to be "EZ" as in "easy".

I did not mean my description in any way as a way of correcting you personally. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just thought it'd be useful for any other users to have my exact steps that worked for me.

I'm glad you managed to recover your laptop though!

deksman2
01-01-2018, 02:57 AM
Ok... so, this may sound like a strange question, but why bother with DOS or EZ flash when you could simply use WinFlash utility?
I installed the 300 bios version on my GL702ZC easily enough and had no issues with WinFlash utilities over the past decade on multiple laptops.

TMM2K
01-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Ok... so, this may sound like a strange question, but why bother with DOS or EZ flash when you could simply use WinFlash utility?
I installed the 300 bios version on my GL702ZC easily enough and had no issues with WinFlash utilities over the past decade on multiple laptops.

I can't speak for the other people in this thread but in my case it's because I don't run Windows on this laptop. I got it as a Linux workstation.

white-star
01-03-2018, 03:44 PM

* turned the computer on

I also updated bios from version 300 to new one using EZ flash from bios. However I did not format my pendrive, I just put bios file after extraction to root directory of my 32GB pendrive. Then I chose this file in EZ flash and folowed instructions. Everything lasted about 5 minutes and went flawlessly.

MathiasMagnus
01-09-2018, 10:10 AM
I too used WinFlash. It came pre-installed (at least one bloatware was useful) on the machine. Download the zip, extract and point the program to it. It extracts, and reboots into BIOS and calls the EZ Flash utility with params so it finds the extracted BIOS on disk. No USB drives involved. Once it finishes (the progress bar is really slow at first, I thought it's waiting on me, but don't touch; it's flashing alright), it will reboot back into Windows and you're good to go.

I can see virtualization being enabled in Windows, but I can't seem to install Hyper-V. The option doesn't show in the GUI, neither does the Enable-OptionalWindowsFeature PowerShell cmdlet seems to work. Has anyone ACTUALLY installed Hyper-V?

Edit: I just saw that the machine came with Win10 Home, instead of Pro, even though my retailer noted Pro. Now I have to upgrade to my institutes Enterprise version...

AgentHunk
02-26-2019, 08:53 PM

I have 305 and been using it for months.I never bothered to turn on AMD-V ,but now I want to know how to find it in BIOS and turn it on...everything is up to date and working.I have the Ryzen power plan for battery option ,I installed a Chipset driver from AMD on top of the 19.2.2 driver,before I updated to 19.2.3

I am pretty sure I did not need to fuss around with another Chipset since I picked the right one:

now,I am fairly sure I have everything up-to-date and am looking for a easy way to get AMD-V turned on with Bios 305 already installed?

denisaya
04-22-2019, 01:22 PM
I installed the last version of bios 305 and by enabling SVM the virtualization is working fine. I could run Android studio's emulator :D