PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Nightmare

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
I somehow have screwed up my G73SW...

Wanted to do a full factory restore

First option I rebooted PC and hit F9 No Operating system found
Second option is the 5 DVD's I Made...

Ran them all and on the final DVD after it completed it says recovery failed, I have restored my PC back from a backup on an external drive but I want to do a factory reset...

Is there anything I can do to recover the recovery partition without sending it to Asus? :(

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Is there an error message, or explanation of why it failed?

Have you deleted the recovery partition, or altered it in some way?

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 12:31 AM
I think my recover partition is gone, I was under the impression the 5 DVD's were made to replace everything in case of a meltdown.

Are the DVD's suppose to replace the recovery partiton too?

Saw an error 1079 somewhere

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I think my recover partition is gone, I was under the impression the 5 DVD's were made to replace everything in case of a meltdown.

Are the DVD's suppose to replace the recovery partiton too?

Saw an error 1079 somewhere
Yes, the recovery DVDs should be an exact copy.....they replace the recovery partition, and then from that recovery partition, a factory restore is performed.

You have another system image you can use to restore your computer, right? If you are comfortable clearing the OS disk, I would do that and retry the recovery DVDs. In know it's a pain, because it takes so long. But there's no shortcut.

To be clear, what I mean is deleting the recovery partition (if one was recreated in the last attempt), the OS partition, and any other partitions currently using space you want to use for the recovery. So basically, completely clearing that part of your primary hard drive that you want to reconstruct.

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 12:45 AM
so format the whole drive? ... I have a windows recover image on a backup usb drive, thats how I restored this back...

How the heck do I format the disk lol, I haven't did it since the days of the floppy disk :cool:

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Have you seen any kinds of problems with that hard drive you're recovering to?

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Not really, I am on the g73sw now...

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Ok this is what my drives look like
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6779/capturecvq.jpg

That D drive has a folder called System Volume information but it has a lock on it

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9714/capturekqu.jpg

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 12:57 AM
so format the whole drive? ... I have a windows recover image on a backup usb drive, thats how I restored this back...

How the heck do I format the disk lol, I haven't did it since the days of the floppy disk :cool:
As long as you are confident that you have an alternate working back-up, yes....I'm suggesting you clear the space you're restoring to. That may or may not be the whole disk.....it might just be certain partitions, depending on how the disk is currently partitioned.

If your recovery fails again, suggesting perhaps that a disk could be bad or something, you'll want to have that alternate way of restoring your computer to a working state. That's why I emphasized that you should have a known working image.

As far as clearing the hard drive, the preferred method is using diskpart. (Remember fdisk? This is the new and improved version of that.) If you have a Windows installer disk, or a Windows system repair disk, you can use it to open a command window outisde of Windows, and then use diskpart to manipulate your drive partitions before you do the restore.

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Is that a two disk system, or are C: and D: on one hard drive?

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes it is one hard drive... I don't know how the heck that happened

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Yes it is one hard drive... I don't know how the heck that happened
How what happened?

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
How what happened?

I have a 174gb partition and a 500 gb partition... I restored this computer to factory once before look at the two pics I put up a few posts back and see if you see a problem there

Thanks

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 01:11 AM
I don;t see a problem there....I was just wondering whether it was one HDD or two. (Since it's a screenshot from WIndows Explorer, which doesn't show that information.)

You just mentioned that you have already done a factory restore in the past. Was that from this same set of recovery disks you're using now? So we know that those disks have worked in the past?

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 01:14 AM
I don;t see a problem there....I was just wondering whether it was one HDD or two. (Since it's a screenshot from WIndows Explorer, which doesn't show that information.)

You just mentioned that you have already done a factory restore in the past. Was that from this same set of recovery disks you're using now? So we know that those disks have worked in the past?

Yup... exact set of disks

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Good....then we know they can work! You shouldn't have to clear the HDD before restoring, so you can just try running the restore again, if you like. But if you want to clear the disk first, you would use a Windows installer or repair disk to access the diskpart utility.

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Ok I am going to work on that now... it takes forever :( but here goes...
Thanks for the help, will report back on if it if I don't shoot it with one of my handguns first...

knight
01-19-2012, 01:16 PM
i had exact same problem..

goto this link to download windows 7 (home premium, prof, ultimate whatever ver u had before) it 3 gb
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

u will find the windows 7 key on the back of ur laptop.. use this key when u start win7 installation.
goto this link http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

follow the instructions. u wull need 4 gb usb to prepare the bootable usb.

start ur laptop and change the boot sequence.. normally default is HDD and cd/dvd, change it to usb.. usb i take under HDD.. so be sure u have USB plug in when ur changing the boot sequence..

windows installition will start once u manage to boot from usb..

at the end use ur key to register the windows online.. tahts it !!!

cheers

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 03:36 PM
thanks knight ... will do that now...

ps. last restore failed again on last disk after an hour

knight
01-19-2012, 04:33 PM
restor is not working for some reason.. dont waste time ..the stuff i told u works for sure.. i m having many issue with this model.. i also bought external cooling system for my laptop as my games are crashing are some time due to overheating ..

greenchicken
01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Done Knight and is working perfectly, thanks for your help...
Now sifting thru the drivers thread getting drivers... Downloads are slow though :(

I have a 30mb up and down fiber line and I am not use to waiting anymore.... :)

knight
01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
hey u have a driver cd.. normally it comes with laptop.. use it...later update remaining drivers mainly nvidea

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Done Knight and is working perfectly, thanks for your help...
Now sifting thru the drivers thread getting drivers... Downloads are slow though :(

I have a 30mb up and down fiber line and I am not use to waiting anymore.... :)
You should have let me know you wanted to do a clean install.....could have saved a lot of time. ;)

BrodyBoy
01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
hey u have a driver cd.. normally it comes with laptop.. use it...later update remaining drivers mainly nvidea
Many of the drivers on that CD are out of date....and none of the Asus software is worth having. Better to find the latest drivers online.

greenchicken
01-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks to you too Brody... everything is working good now.... I need to find the correct wifi driver though...

BrodyBoy
01-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks to you too Brody... everything is working good now.... I need to find the correct wifi driver though...
Which WLAN card do you have?

greenchicken
01-20-2012, 12:23 AM
that atheros one...

BrodyBoy
01-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Here's (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921470.zip)the latest Atheros driver.

greenchicken
01-20-2012, 06:57 AM
thanks.........

greenchicken
01-27-2012, 04:47 AM
I must have downloaded the wrong iso..
(got the 64 bit home premium)

Anyhoo.. after a few days it told me my key was invalid but I found a fix for that ;)

I can say this laptop has never run better...

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Yup! A clean install....on any computer....is the way to go. I'm glad it worked so well for you. :)