PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Hero X core voltages are insane?!!?

el terrible
11-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Hey,

So I finally got a hold of an 8700K and really wanted to wait for the Formula to release, but I can't even find a date for the relase of it in Norway so I decided to go for a Hero X, I had the Hero VII in my previous build and was happy with it so why not..

But straight out of the box I started getting really really high temps while just playing games (80-90 celcius) and even high 60's-70's just in windows watchin youtube and at first I thought it was my new Noctua cooler that was faulty so I even RMA'd it and got a Corsair H100i v2, not even thinking about core voltages (I know it was dumb).. but then I got the same friggin bad temps with the H100i..... then I almost RMA'd my 8700K, but THEN I found out my Hero was pumping 1.412 V into my CPU by DEFAULT....... this is with the 0505 Bios (newest)... like what the hell Asus. I could probably run like way over 5GHz with that kind of voltage, something I'm not even interested in doing with my current setup.
Prime95 goes to 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.. Assassins Creed Origins crashes after 10-30 minutes.. And my ambient temp is only 22 degrees at the moment (Winter in Norway).. Setting my voltage to 1.200 seems to have fixed everything, but still I am spending hours on this.. I usually don't really bother changing too much in the BIOS, because I trust the ROG team with this stuff and I don't want to break anything myself.. Why would they even do this?!?!? I usually love your stuff and have used Maximus motherboards for my last 4 builds now...

Sorry about the rant, but yeah......

el terrible
11-15-2017, 09:52 AM
ok, so the 0802 update that I found in this very forum seems to have fixed it... You should get that uploaded on the main ASUS site ASAP so people don't have to experience what I did.

el terrible
11-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Haha the new bios actually downclocks my CPU to 4.3Ghz that's why I now get such good temps.... god damn it

Raja@ASUS
11-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Haha the new bios actually downclocks my CPU to 4.3Ghz that's why I now get such good temps.... god damn it

Base frequency of these CPUs is 3.7GHz. We've relaxed the rules to lower the voltages. If your cooling is up to the task, you are free to overclock the CPU as desired.

Also had to remove an expletive from your opening post. Please keep those out of your posts, even if it is a rant.

marcopai
11-17-2017, 10:21 AM
yeah same thing happened to me lol my cpu hitted 100 c Lol
setting the LLC 5 or 6 and AC/DC load line to 0.01 it fixed the high voltages for me , but still if i use adaptive mode my voltages are a little higher than normal so i'm using manual voltage

Raja@ASUS
11-17-2017, 10:32 AM
yeah same thing happened to me lol my cpu hitted 100 c Lol
setting the LLC 5 or 6 and AC/DC load line to 0.01 it fixed the high voltages for me , but still if i use adaptive mode my voltages are a little higher than normal so i'm using manual voltage

For Adaptive, you can try setting SVID Behaviour to best case, also.

marcopai
11-17-2017, 11:03 AM
For Adaptive, you can try setting SVID Behaviour to best case, also.

yes raja i tried that too :D forgot to mention that!

NeoandGeo
11-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Is or will there be a comprehensive changelog for the 0802 BIOS for the Hero? I have downloaded and installed it, and I think there are a handful of new options, mostly in the Training Algorithms page. The only 0802 changelog I can find is for the Apex (Improved system stability) I think is the only entry?, That's about as informative as the write-up for a Nintendo system firmware update. :p

Raja@ASUS
11-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Main changes I know of were the SVID/LLC rules being changed. The training stuff is for advanced tweaking only, and not something the average Joe needs to concern themselves with.

el terrible
11-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Am I the only one really strugeling with the 0802 ??? I can't play anything now, everything crashes in 10 minutes, PUBG, Assassins creed origins, cs go.... and its not because of temps now because they are great.. never even goes above 50c because my cpu never goes above 4.3 turbo with this bios...... I even bluescreened while playing PUBG

or can it actually be the new Windows 10 creator update??

I installed that aswell recently while having all these problems

Edit: I can run any diagnostic / benchmark just fine.. Aida64, Prime95, furmark, windows memory diagnostics etc etc, but as soon as I start an actual game from steam the game runs perfectly in the start then just crashes after 5-15 minutes.. it just crashes to desktop and asks me to send a report every single time

Atifan
11-17-2017, 09:52 PM
If I upgrade to Bios 0802, will my profiles be available? Or do I have to save them first on a stick?

Diversion
11-17-2017, 10:28 PM
If I upgrade to Bios 0802, will my profiles be available? Or do I have to save them first on a stick?

It erases all profiles and starts your BIOS from scratch.. back them up to a drive first. Also, I wouldn't be so sure the same profiles and voltages will behave the same way in the 0802 bios since the SVID/LLC rules are changed... 0802 at full auto settings uses WAY less voltage than 0505.

Praz
11-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Hello

Saved profiles cannot be used between different BIOS versions.

el terrible
11-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Well I think I finally found the problem, XMP does not work on my G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz CL15 (2x8 GB Dual channel) and yes they are on the QVL.
When I turned it to the default 2133MHz (CL 15 15 15 36) I was able to play Assassins Creed Origins for an hour with no problems (except my frames are now lower than they were of course) They do however pass every single test / benchmark I could throw at them like aida64, prime95 and windows memory diagnostics, but every time I tried to play games they would just crash to desktop after 5-20 minutes every single time.

I was able to run them on XMP on 0505, but then the heat on CPU became the problem of course since it was running on over 1.412 vcore volts..
Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update :-)

Model: F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Ean: 4719692009890
http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz

Raja@ASUS
11-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Have you tried tuning the SA and IO voltages?

morph.
11-18-2017, 12:55 PM
I had intermittent issues posting with my Gskill 2x16gb 3466 on XMP.

Managed to resolve it by increasing dram voltage to 1.36v from 1.35v

Suggestions from other forums also said increasing vccio & vccsa to around 1.1-1.3v helps tooo.

kernolsz28
11-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Does this new bios mean the llc between each step is changed? i have to have mine on 6 in order to keep my system stable. i have my vcssa and vccio at 1.0 and 1.1, manual voltage 1.32 and is reported 1.312 no dips during load. my ram runs at the correct speed 3200mhz @ 1.35. Since i run manual i don't need to change the line in to 0.01 correct? thats only for adaptive?

morph.
11-18-2017, 03:12 PM
@Raja - I think I might have found the root cause of my Z370g's memory intermittent issues with XMP post issues... computer managed to get stuck again even after my latest changes.

In bios it showed the VRAM voltage was @ 1.2v even though It was set at 1.36 and after I tried to increase it to 1.37 it wouldn't boot as bios sitll only displayed 1.2v... after a few more boot cycles going in and out of the bios, it finally displayed the correct voltage to the memory, i closed the bios and it booted in...

I'm using the latest bios 0430, I suspect this could be some odd motherboard / bios issue not always reading/pushing the correct voltage for the DRAM even though its set. Hopefully this can be investigated and fixed some times it gets very time consuming ot boot in till the bios / mb recognises the voltage settings and actually applies it.

Praz
11-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Hello

When the system boots in safe mode because of an unsuccessful previous boot attempt the memory voltage will be set to the default value of 1.20V regardless of what voltage value is entered in the voltage field.

morph.
11-18-2017, 11:54 PM
Thanks Praz, so after that how do I get it to boot up with the configured settings?

Even after saving the settings and moving on it won’t post...

Seems to be playing post roulette... but once it posts the system boots fine goes into windows and runs... oddly I’ve seen it post once or twice with the “safe mode” voltage settings too...*

SpinCykle
11-19-2017, 05:44 AM
Main changes I know of were the SVID/LLC rules being changed. The training stuff is for advanced tweaking only, and not something the average Joe needs to concern themselves with.

Can we flash back to 0505? I’m having problems finding the sweet spot for LLC now that it was changed. I’m running all manual volts. MCE disabled and XMP enable. Previously my 8700k ran 5000Mhz at 1.28v with LLC6 and it never drooped. Voltage was always a constant 1.28v and she was stable as can be. Now with same LLC and voltage I’m getting vdroop to 1.264v and it’s causing instability in real bench benchmark but I’m stable in realbench stress testing. *I still need to do some gaming to test.

If I set the voltage to 1.285v and LLC6 I’m overvolting to 1.296v now. And if I set 1.29v with LLC5, I vdroop all the way to 1.248v at times. *1.28v with LLC7 overvolts to 1.296 too. 1.275v with LLC7 gives a range of 1.264 to 1.296 depending on load. This is frustrating. I know my chip does not need 1.296v to be stable. Any suggestions?

Raja@ASUS
11-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Increase the VID to get the target load voltage your CPU needs. Even though, you thought you were seeing no droop and overshoot on the previous build, it was there - you just need a scope to see it.

SpinCykle
11-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Increase the VID to get the target load voltage your CPU needs. Even though, you thought you were seeing no droop and overshoot on the previous build, it was there - you just need a scope to see it.

Hi Raja,

Thank you for the quick response. By stating I should "increase the VID to get the target load" , are you stating I should just increase the CPU voltage from 1.28v to 1.285v, while keeping my previous LLC of 6 and accept the displayed software reading voltage in windows reads overvolting (1.296v) at certain times of load/idle ? Or is there another setting I'm missing that needs to be adjusted?

Overall, it does not surprise me the droop was there. I just preferred knowing my chip was stable at 1.28v w/ no vdroop at LLC6.

Raja@ASUS
11-19-2017, 12:11 PM
A few things:

1) Yes, adjust VID to get voltage your CPU needs under load. There is no issue with that.

2) There is no such thing as no droop. It's actually better if the droop is set to compliment the VRM. If the LLC is too aggressive, it results in more overshoot (which is far worse than Vdroop).

SpinCykle
11-19-2017, 12:18 PM
A few things:

1) Yes adjust VID to get voltage your CPU needs under load. There is no issue with that.

2) There is no such thing as no droop. It's actually better if the droop is set to compliment the VRM.

Great, thank you. Here's my settings so far! Does anything look off to you?

CPU: 8700k - Memory: F4-3600C16D-16GTZR

Custom Watercooling loop (480 Rad + 360 Rad) w/ EK Monoblock + single GTX 1070

XMP Profile Selected

MCE Disabled

AVX 0

Sync all cores 50

CPU SVID Support Disabled

LLC Level 6

Internal CPU power management - Long & Short Duration Power Package - 4095

CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max 255.50

Min & max cpu cache ratio 47

BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage - Dissabled

CPU Core/Cache Voltage - 1.285

DRAM 1.35V - VCCIO 0.95v - VCCSA 1.05v

With the bumped VID the system runs very well! I just have to accept my chip takes 1.296v to be stable.....

Raja@ASUS
11-19-2017, 12:58 PM
The actual load voltage required to keep your CPU stable will be the same between both builds. The set VID is not the load voltage.

SpinCykle
11-19-2017, 01:30 PM
The actual load voltage required to keep your CPU stable will be the same between both builds. The set VID is not the load voltage.

Okay. I think I understand what you are saying. However, I need to read some more in depth material on CPU VID and its correlation to CPU Core Voltage. My understanding is, the CPU VID is a base voltage number set by Intel which changes based on the "need" of the CPU during different states of Load. For example, the VID can be anywhere from 1.25v to 1.35v depending on what the CPU is asking for in it's current load/state. The VID value has nothing to do with the actual load voltage or CPU Core voltage that the processor is receiving. Example, Bios settings 1.285v LLC 6 = software reading @ 100% load of 1.28v with a VID of 1.35v

In your previous comments, you say to adjust the VID to achieve the desired load voltage, to achieve stability. If my understanding is true from above, how can I affect the VID value? Wouldn't I just increase CPU core voltage to in turn adjust the minimum load voltage required for stability. And than accept the variances of overshoot/undershoot (vdroop) software readings being displayed. How would you actually adjust VID?

Sorry if I'm missing something blatantly obvious. And thank you very much for your help!

Raja@ASUS
11-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Vid is what you set in bios. In adaptive mode, the vid you set in bios is the vid that's applied when the cpu goes into full load state (the requested vid is affected by the ia ac and dc load lines). In manual mode, the vid you apply in bios is the always applied, regardless of the load. The llc affects the gap between vid and the actual voltage, but the trade off is overshoot. The overshoot cannot be seen without an oscilloscope.

With the llc slope changing between builds, you may need a higher Vid, but ultimately the voltage the cpu needs to be stable is still the same. You just increase the vid to get that voltage.

SpinCykle
11-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Vid is what you set in bios. In adaptive mode, the vid you set in bios is the vid that's applied when the cpu goes into full load state (the requested vid is affected by the ia ac and dc load lines). In manual mode, the vid you apply in bios is the always applied, regardless of the load. The llc affects the gap between vid and the actual voltage, but the trade off is overshoot. The overshoot cannot be seen without an oscilloscope.

With the llc slope changing between builds, you may need a higher Vid, but ultimately the voltage the cpu needs to be stable is still the same. You just increase the vid to get that voltage.

Thank you for the quick explanation!

marcopai
11-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Guys where can i set the VID? im pretty confused lol

dnd123
11-28-2017, 12:50 AM

can i ask what LLC you would recommend then?

Raja@ASUS
11-28-2017, 02:42 AM
I use level 5 or 6.

dnd123
11-28-2017, 08:54 AM
I use level 5 or 6.

Ok thanks. Do you know what amount of overshoot each of these results in?

Also, the IA XX Load Line setting, what value does Auto result in? 0?

Batman1982
11-28-2017, 09:25 AM
But why change the board my vid automatically?

I set in bios 1,360v adaptive, offset auto ia/dc 0.01*
Then i load in windows, in idle few seconds after start vid says 1,360 ok,
Under load linx or prime vid goes to 1,375 or 1,380

Ok i thougt i can never go under intel vid, so i changed to adaptive in Bios 1,380
Then load windows 1,380 under load 1,395
Where the is that offset 0,015 from?

I use llc4 ia/dc 0.01
Bios 0505, 0802 everything the same
I used skylake x before and there was working afaptive perfect with rampage vi, set voltage small amount above intel vid and load vid was maximum what i set in bios, but the hero x makes me crazy*

Raja@ASUS
11-28-2017, 09:56 AM
VID is not the same thing as voltage. When you factor in any resistive losses, a small offset read by software isn't anything to be concerned about.

Raja@ASUS
11-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Ok thanks. Do you know what amount of overshoot each of these results in?

Also, the IA XX Load Line setting, what value does Auto result in? 0?

1) I'd have to measure to know for sure. On most boards/platforms, I find level 5 stays within reasonable bounds.
2) Auto is substantially higher than 0, and is affected by the SVID behavior option.

dnd123
11-28-2017, 05:15 PM
1) I'd have to measure to know for sure. On most boards/platforms, I find level 5 stays within reasonable bounds.
2) Auto is substantially higher than 0, and is affected by the SVID behavior option.

Ok thanks. Sorry for more questions:

reasonable ~= won't fry your CPU?
so does SVID behaviour have any effect if you manually set IA Load Lines, eg to 0.01? ie does it affect more than just these two values?

el terrible
11-29-2017, 09:03 AM
Well I put my svid behaviour to Best case scenario and now I love my temps and I also changed my ram timing thingy to Level 2 (whatever that does) and it seems to work on XMP now... and I also set my core to "sync all cores" and set it to 47x100... my cinebench score went from 1416 to 1575.. and realbench 2.56 went from 158xxx to 171xxx and my temps never go above 60c and thats just with a corsair h100i v2... im installing my EKWB custom loop tonight :-)

oh and I also set LLC to level 5

AntonioL
11-29-2017, 11:08 AM

Sorry for asking again about IA DC/AC load line settings, but I would like to be sure to understand how these options work. Is it normal, please, that increasing the impedance leads to higher voltage. My knowledge in electronics is a bit old, but as far i as remember, this setting determines the slope of the straigth line in the (I,V) diagram. The DC load line would be for steady current variation whereas the AC load line would be for transient fluctuations (sorry if those are not the exact english words, but awkward translations). So, rising the DC load line should decrease the voltage delivered for a given current request, as Vcc=Vid - R*Icc. Rising the AC load line should decrease the voltage spikes and drops when the current requested changes quickly (start and end of heavy loads typicaly). But I observe exactly the contrary, and the raising the DC load line results in higher voltage under load. Is something wrong with my motherboard, or is my understanding of load line inexact ? Maybe the logical is different for voltage regulation of a CPU that it is for the feeding of a classical non-linear circuit ?

Intel, in their datasheet, only communicates on a max impedance of 2.4 mOhms, so a 240 value in BIOS, so that the VR fits the IA characteristics. Does it mean that any value under is safe ? I found that the value advised in this forum (0.01) causes unstability, and that a setting of 1 gives a balanced voltage between idle and load with LLC on 4, for the DC load line. For the AC load line, I have no clue, should it be the same as I read in an Intel technical doc for an outdated proc gen ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Batman1982
11-30-2017, 01:26 AM
Whats your opinion*

5ghz bios 1,335v llc5 or 1,385v llc 4

I‘am scared for overshots because llc5 makes only a minimal drop on voltage
( 1Voltstep down maximum 2 )
so, when i understand right it‘s the higher the drop the lesser the overshot?

*Llc4 makes 0,080v down under load

In the past many people say to me 0,060 - 0,100 is perfect drop for Oc
Or is the overshot not so much that i must be worried.
Because when i play games the voltage goes 1step down, so i have 1,312volt under llc5 and 1,360 under llc4*

Raja@ASUS
11-30-2017, 03:59 AM
Sorry for asking again about IA DC/AC load line settings, but I would like to be sure to understand how these options work. Is it normal, please, that increasing the impedance leads to higher voltage. My knowledge in electronics is a bit old, but as far i as remember, this setting determines the slope of the straigth line in the (I,V) diagram. The DC load line would be for steady current variation whereas the AC load line would be for transient fluctuations (sorry if those are not the exact english words, but awkward translations). So, rising the DC load line should decrease the voltage delivered for a given current request, as Vcc=Vid - R*Icc. Rising the AC load line should decrease the voltage spikes and drops when the current requested changes quickly (start and end of heavy loads typicaly). But I observe exactly the contrary, and the raising the DC load line results in higher voltage under load. Is something wrong with my motherboard, or is my understanding of load line inexact ? Maybe the logical is different for voltage regulation of a CPU that it is for the feeding of a classical non-linear circuit ?

Intel, in their datasheet, only communicates on a max impedance of 2.4 mOhms, so a 240 value in BIOS, so that the VR fits the IA characteristics. Does it mean that any value under is safe ? I found that the value advised in this forum (0.01) causes unstability, and that a setting of 1 gives a balanced voltage between idle and load with LLC on 4, for the DC load line. For the AC load line, I have no clue, should it be the same as I read in an Intel technical doc for an outdated proc gen ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

The IA load lines affect the VID the CPU requests for a given level of current. Due to resistive losses through the power plane, to maintain a target voltage as the current increases, the requested VID needs to be increased. It's important to understand the difference between VID and the actual voltage.

The values needed depend on the board (power plane impedance is often better - read as lower impedance - than Intel spec), the CPU model used, and the types of load placed on the system (certain AVX workloads consume a lot of power).

-Raja

Raja@ASUS
11-30-2017, 04:09 AM
Ok thanks. Sorry for more questions:

reasonable ~= won't fry your CPU?
so does SVID behaviour have any effect if you manually set IA Load Lines, eg to 0.01? ie does it affect more than just these two values?

'Reasonable' means it should be within Intel spec for overshoot.

AntonioL
11-30-2017, 09:08 AM
The IA load lines affect the VID the CPU requests for a given level of current. Due to resistive losses through the power plane, to maintain a target voltage as the current increases, the requested VID needs to be increased. It's important to understand the difference between VID and the actual voltage.

The values needed depend on the board (power plane impedance is often better - read as lower impedance - than Intel spec), the CPU model used, and the types of load placed on the system (certain AVX workloads consume a lot of power).

-Raja

Thank you very much, I understand now why delivered voltage increases with the DC impedance. Things work differently from what I thought. You don't really adjust the impedance of the power circuit and thus the resistive losses, but you set the supposed value of this impedance and the VID is adjusted consequently. So when the alleged impedance increases, VID also increases in order to compensate, and the resulting actual voltage follows.

Tuff253
12-13-2017, 11:30 PM
Hi guys,

I too have voltage/heating issues with Maximus Hero X and the 8700k. I'm running the default settings in BIOS and my temps jump up and down on just idle on desktop between 32 degrees to high 60s. The volts overshoot to 1.3 - 1.35. What's going on? Is this the norm? Will a BIOS update fix this? I'm not strong at OCing or changing BIOS settings so if there are things I can do please let me know. I'm running BIOS 0802.

Thanks

Raja@ASUS
12-14-2017, 03:05 AM
Set svid behaviour to best case and disable mce if you want pure stock.

Tuff253
12-14-2017, 03:21 AM

Thanks for the reply Raja. Will this mean the boost will still hit 4.7ghz or will it lock it lower?

Menthol
12-14-2017, 04:55 AM
With ASUS MCE all cores will hit 4.7, disabled it will do Intel spec, all core 4.3 one core 4.7 though you'll not notice unless you are monitoring it with software

Dovakhan
12-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply Raja. Will this mean the boost will still hit 4.7ghz or will it lock it lower?

Ah, yes. Mr. "Set SVID Behaviour to Best" Raja on it again. Seems like it's the only thing he knows what to say. Apart from deleting messages.

I'd check it with HWiNFO64 and Cinebench or Prime95 if I were you. Chances are that the MCE option is broken as well in your BIOS and that disabling it does nothing but to make things even worse (aka, still having your CPU OC'ed, but at constant 1,344v, like it happens in Strix Z370-G boards).

Raja@ASUS
12-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Ah, yes. Mr. "Set SVID Behaviour to Best" Raja on it again. Seems like it's the only thing he knows what to say. Apart from deleting messages.

I'd check it with HWiNFO64 and Cinebench or Prime95 if I were you. Chances are that the MCE option is broken as well in your BIOS and that disabling it does nothing but to make things even worse (aka, still having your CPU OC'ed, but at constant 1,344v, like it happens in Strix Z370-G boards).

Don't try to create conflict. Posts that makes things personal will be removed. If you persist, expect a vacation and eventual ban. And please don't bother replying with anything snarky, as that too will be removed.

Dovakhan
12-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Don't try to create conflict.

Oh, finally got your attention? Good.

Do you know what people here wants to hear? "YES, WE ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUES INVOLVING MCE AND STOCK SETTINGS, AND WE'RE WORKING ON A FIX FOR THEM. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE".

Instead we get temporary solutions that doesn't solve the core problem, and silence. Or are you telling me that you inter-communication is so poor that you can't even report these issues to your higher-ups?

What I'm surprised is that there isn't even MORE conflict.

Raja@ASUS
12-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Oh, finally got your attention? Good.

Do you know what people here wants to hear? "YES, WE ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUES INVOLVING MCE AND STOCK SETTINGS, AND WE'RE WORKING ON A FIX FOR THEM THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE".

Instead we get temporary solutions that doesn't solve the core problem, and silence. Or are you telling me that you inter-communication is so poor that you can't even report these issues to your higher-ups?

What I'm surprised is that there isn't even MORE conflict.

You've already contacted service. Any more posts spamming the forum repeatedly to make things personal will be removed. You have been warned.

Dovakhan
12-14-2017, 10:21 AM
You've already contacted service. Any more posts spamming the forum repeatedly to make things personal will be removed. You have been warned.

So, just because of that (besides, I hadn't got any reply from them in more than a week), you feel like you can clean your hands from it, right? No explanation whatsoever. Not bothering to tell us anything about the matter, and not even if you've reported it or not (or if you even can).

You're useless. Ban me if you want, like if it affects me in the slightest.

Raja@ASUS
12-14-2017, 10:34 AM
You're useless. Ban me if you want, like if it affects me in the slightest.

Take some time away from the forum, to cool down.

Tuff253
12-14-2017, 11:11 PM

Hi again,

OK I tried this, I had to disable MCE manually rather than rely on clicking the no button as it reverts back to "Auto". I have everything set as default, XMP off (and on on the second test) best case setting on, CPU-z reports 1.34 - 1.37 volts and speeds are still reaching 4.7. Both speeds and vcore are fluctuating. On idle temps are still reaching high 60s low 70s. I'm using Hardware monitor to monitor temps. It seems to me those settings aren't actually doing anything. :(

Raja@ASUS
12-15-2017, 12:14 AM
Hi again,

OK I tried this, I had to disable MCE manually rather than rely on clicking the no button as it reverts back to "Auto". I have everything set as default, XMP off (and on on the second test) best case setting on, CPU-z reports 1.34 - 1.37 volts and speeds are still reaching 4.7. Both speeds and vcore are fluctuating. On idle temps are still reaching high 60s low 70s. I'm using Hardware monitor to monitor temps. It seems to me those settings aren't actually doing anything. :(

Try this:

Load defaults
Disable mce
Set the ia a.c. and ia dc load line settings within the internal cpu power management menu to 0.01

Tuff253
12-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Try this:

Load defaults
Disable mce
Set the ia a.c. and ia dc load line settings within the internal cpu power management menu to 0.01

Leave SVID as is or best case? I'll try again and let you know.

Raja@ASUS
12-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Leave SVID as is or best case? I'll try again and let you know.

Can leave svid on auto.

Tuff253
12-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Can leave svid on auto.
Load defaults
Disable mce

Hi Raja,

With these settings I'm now peaking at 1.296v Vcore yet the core speed still manages to hit 4.7 on idle. Although I don't have a problem with this, I was expecting it to be intels spec at 4.3. Is this expected? Temperatures are much better, obviously.

Also what does i.a DC /AC do in terms of function and performance? For gaming, is this the ideal settings?

Thanks

Raja@ASUS
12-15-2017, 09:16 AM
The vcore used and the core speed depends on the load. When tdp is breached, the cores should fall to a lower value. Thats assuming everthing is set as i stated.

Read back a few pages in this thread for a description of what the load line settings do.

Tuff253
12-15-2017, 09:46 AM
OK cool I'll take a look. Under gaming load it's not exceeding 1.248v. Me thinks I should be happy with this.

Tuff253
12-15-2017, 10:31 AM
OK so high FPS games Vcore will not exceed 1.248v but on desktop it does occasionally go to 1.29v. Any ideas what is doing that?

Raja@ASUS
12-15-2017, 11:44 AM
OK so high FPS games Vcore will not exceed 1.248v but on desktop it does occasionally go to 1.29v. Any ideas what is doing that?

It will clock up under light loads, and down under heavier loads.