PDA

View Full Version : PCI-E runs at x8 instead of x16

.fess
11-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Hello,

I've recently updated BIOS to 0802 and GPU seems to have started running at "native x8 link speed." It used to always run PCI-E 3.0 @ x16, but now BIOS, GPU-Z and CPU-Z all show that it runs PCI-E 3.0 @ x8. Running GPU-Z render test or UNIGINE benchmarks doesn't help. It still shows PCI 3.0 @ x8. Clearing CMOS, reseating vid card didn't help. Running BIOS at optimized defaults didn't help. I'm running out of options here. Do you think I "broke" the mobo or vid card somehow or is it the BIOS issue. I hope it's the latter one. PC is only a month old and I had no issues with it until the recent BIOS update from 0505 to 0802. Here are my specs:

BIOS: 0802
OC'ed? No.
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
AIO: Corsair H100i v2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5"
NVMe (Boot): Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280
NVMe (Games): Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280
Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W

Thank you for your help!

Silent Scone@ROG
11-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Firstly can you confirm if the GPU is in PCIe x16/x8_1 (the top 16x length slot on the board)?

Is there anything in If PCIe_x8_2? If this slot is occupied, PCIe x16/x8_1will revert to 8x mode.

Starscream
11-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Are you by chance using a pcie riser cable like the one included with the Thermaltake Core P series cases?

.fess
11-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Firstly can you confirm if the GPU is in PCIe x16/x8_1 (the top 16x length slot on the board)?

Is there anything in If PCIe_x8_2? If this slot is occupied, PCIe x16/x8_1will revert to 8x mode.

Confirmed, the GPU is in the top PCIe x16/x8_1. There's nothing in PCIe_x8_2 and I've never used this slot to date.

.fess
11-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Are you by chance using a pcie riser cable like the one included with the Thermaltake Core P series cases?

No riser cables. The card is plugged straight into top PCI-E x16 slot with 2x8pin cables coming out of it.

NeoandGeo
11-21-2017, 12:41 AM
When I had this issue on a Maximus IX Hero it was due to a single motherboard pin slightly out of place, moved it back and everything was fine after that. Did you happen to remount your CPU or maybe bumped the case causing an issue with the GPU->PCI-E contact? Check the CPU socket and try reseating the GPU. Also did a screen ever pop up notifying you about a new CPU being installed? If a pin gets bent or something similar causing PCI-E lanes to be halved the Mobo would think a new CPU was installed.

.fess
11-21-2017, 03:33 AM
When I had this issue on a Maximus IX Hero it was due to a single motherboard pin slightly out of place, moved it back and everything was fine after that. Did you happen to remount your CPU or maybe bumped the case causing an issue with the GPU->PCI-E contact? Check the CPU socket and try reseating the GPU. Also did a screen ever pop up notifying you about a new CPU being installed? If a pin gets bent or something similar causing PCI-E lanes to be halved the Mobo would think a new CPU was installed.

Nope, never remounted the CPU since it wasn't really giving me any issues. Never had the screen pop up on me unless it was the first POST screen after I had built a PC.

I reseated the GPU and it still shows x8 in BIOS. I switched GPU to a lower PCI-E slot with the same result.

I removed one of the M.2 drives and it still shows x8 in BIOS.

Then I completely removed the video card, pressed the Clear CMOS button, connected DP cable to motherboard DP port, loaded into BIOS, Loaded optimized defaults, reflashed BIOS, and turned PC off. Installed 1080 ti, launched into BIOS and it still showed x8 link speed :((((

I then installed GTX 760 that was laying around and for some reason the speed downgraded to PCI-E x1. WTF!? I removed it, installed on my older Z87K motherboard and it boots no problem with PCI-E 3.0 @ x16 in GPU-Z. I'm trying to think that it's either a BIOS issue or the mobo PCI-E slot failed somehow. I know for sure it was running at x16, but all of a sudden after going from 0505 to 0802 it just defauled to x8. Bizarre. I literally never touched anything inside the PC since I built it and everything was fine until recently.

Benson33
11-21-2017, 05:10 AM
Nope, never remounted the CPU since it wasn't really giving me any issues. Never had the screen pop up on me unless it was the first POST screen after I had built a PC.

I reseated the GPU and it still shows x8 in BIOS. I switched GPU to a lower PCI-E slot with the same result.

I removed one of the M.2 drives and it still shows x8 in BIOS.

Then I completely removed the video card, pressed the Clear CMOS button, connected DP cable to motherboard DP port, loaded into BIOS, Loaded optimized defaults, reflashed BIOS, and turned PC off. Installed 1080 ti, launched into BIOS and it still showed x8 link speed :((((

I then installed GTX 760 that was laying around and for some reason the speed downgraded to PCI-E x1. WTF!? I removed it, installed on my older Z87K motherboard and it boots no problem with PCI-E 3.0 @ x16 in GPU-Z. I'm trying to think that it's either a BIOS issue or the mobo PCI-E slot failed somehow. I know for sure it was running at x16, but all of a sudden after going from 0505 to 0802 it just defauled to x8. Bizarre. I literally never touched anything inside the PC since I built it and everything was fine until recently.

Did you try reflashing in 0505 bios to see if the GPU is running in 16X again ?*

.fess
11-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Did you try reflashing in 0505 bios to see if the GPU is running in 16X again ?*

Yes, I reflashed it to 0505 and it still shows that GPU is running at x8 native. I then removed the 1080 ti card and put it in the Z87K board and now it shows x8 there as well so I think the issue is with the video card and not the motherboard :(

Benson33
11-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Yes, I reflashed it to 0505 and it still shows that GPU is running at x8 native. I then removed the 1080 ti card and put it in the Z87K board and now it shows x8 there as well so I think the issue is with the video card and not the motherboard :(

*on the Asus website, to the support of the asus 1080 Ti, you have two different Bios, the original one and another silent mode with the integrated tool to flash the card, try to flash the bios of the graphics card to see if that can correct the problem.

Other thing, *did you make a clear Cmos after reflashing the bios of the motherboard and load seeting default ?

.fess
11-23-2017, 02:47 AM
So I returned the video card and got another one and it still shows x8 :( I have no idea what’s wrong anymore. Am I just unlucky or do all Strix 1080 ti run at x8? Like I said I installed the card into my old z87k computer with latest BIOS and it also showed x8 on that computer as well.*

vaiacondios
11-23-2017, 04:37 AM
*on the Asus website, to the support of the asus 1080 Ti, you have two different Bios, the original one and another silent mode with the integrated tool to flash the card, try to flash the bios of the graphics card to see if that can correct the problem.

Other thing, *did you make a clear Cmos after reflashing the bios of the motherboard and load seeting default ?

Hi
I know this is basic but when GPU is idle and in low power mode the slot speed can be reported as x8
try a program to kick the gpu into gear such as furmark or something you can watch the pci changing from x8 to x16

good luck

Hopeywolf
11-23-2017, 04:45 AM
I had this issue and i did not understand what was wrong, and seeing your post confirmed the problem for me. I then saw somewhere that the 2nd 16x slot will cause the first 16x slot to go 8x if there is ANYTHING on that. I had a soundcard on mine and I moved it to the last one, which if I understand is controlled by the chipset. I confirmed that it showed up as 16X 3.0 on gpuz after.

.fess
11-23-2017, 05:28 AM
Hi
I know this is basic but when GPU is idle and in low power mode the slot speed can be reported as x8
try a program to kick the gpu into gear such as furmark or something you can watch the pci changing from x8 to x16

good luck

When the GPU is idle it alternates between 1.1 x8 and 3.0 x8, but never to 3.0 x16. BIOS, GPU-Z and CPU-Z, all three show the card running PCI-E 3.0 x8.
I ran furmark, unigine heaven, superposition for hours and monitored with gpu-z and hwinfo64 and it was locked at 3.0 x8 non-stop.

.fess
11-23-2017, 05:34 AM
I had this issue and i did not understand what was wrong, and seeing your post confirmed the problem for me. I then saw somewhere that the 2nd 16x slot will cause the first 16x slot to go 8x if there is ANYTHING on that. I had a soundcard on mine and I moved it to the last one, which if I understand is controlled by the chipset. I confirmed that it showed up as 16X 3.0 on gpuz after.

Yeah, that's would i do as well, but I have nothing on any of the pci-e slots and it still shows x8. I know for sure that ther'es something wrong with this card because I tested it on two PCs, Maximus X Hero 0802 bios and Z87-K with latest bios as well. The Z87-K pc runs with Asus gtx 760, wifi network card and a sound card all plugged in into pci-e slots. Abosultely no issues. GTX 760 is running at pci-e 3.0 @ x16. THe moment i plug the 1080 ti into it, bam, runs at x8 as well.

So yeah, two different 1080 TI's on two different computers, all run at 3.0 x8 and gtx 760 running at 3.0 x16 on both. I wish it was the other way around.

vaiacondios
11-23-2017, 05:43 AM
Yeah, that's would i do as well, but I have nothing on any of the pci-e slots and it still shows x8. I know for sure that ther'es something wrong with this card because I tested it on two PCs, Maximus X Hero 0802 bios and Z87-K with latest bios as well. The Z87-K pc runs with Asus gtx 760, wifi network card and a sound card all plugged in into pci-e slots. Abosultely no issues. GTX 760 is running at pci-e 3.0 @ x16. THe moment i plug the 1080 ti into it, bam, runs at x8 as well.

So yeah, two different 1080 TI's on two different computers, all run at 3.0 x8 and gtx 760 running at 3.0 x16 on both. I wish it was the other way around.

if there's any consolation, I have an issue too where I cant get pcie slot 3 to recognise my intel pcie 4x card. I tried 2 mobos. Hero and last year code. I ended up putting into second slot therefore dropping my 1080ti to 8x. Theres no bottlenecking due to slot speed.

Benson33
11-23-2017, 09:49 AM
When the GPU is idle it alternates between 1.1 x8 and 3.0 x8, but never to 3.0 x16. BIOS, GPU-Z and CPU-Z, all three show the card running PCI-E 3.0 x8.
I ran furmark, unigine heaven, superposition for hours and monitored with gpu-z and hwinfo64 and it was locked at 3.0 x8 non-stop.

Are your 6 + 2 pin PCI E power cables properly connected to the VGA ports of your EVGA power supply? VGA1 and VGA2? try on VGA 3 and 4. I have a friend who had the same worries and by swapping his cables he found the PCI E X16.

.fess
11-24-2017, 04:03 AM
Are your 6 + 2 pin PCI E power cables properly connected to the VGA ports of your EVGA power supply? VGA1 and VGA2? try on VGA 3 and 4. I have a friend who had the same worries and by swapping his cables he found the PCI E X16.

I'm pretty sure they are connected properly. Both lights glow white on the video card itself. Would they still glow white if one of the ports from the pci-e 6+2 wasn't working?

Update: I tried VGA1 and VGA2 and still showed x8. VGA3 and VGA4 yields the same results.

.fess
11-24-2017, 04:12 AM
UPDATE #2: So i went to the store where I bought the card to test it out on their system and it worked no problem, it showed x16 and I saw it with my own eyes when they launched GPU-Z. So if the card runs properly on their computer I think I only have one conclusion - there is something wrong with the BIOS version. Let's recap:

1080 TI runs at 8x speed on Maximus X Hero with 0802 bios.
1080 TI runs at 8x speed on Z87-K with latest bios.
1080 TI runs at 16x speed on store's test system (not sure what mobo and bios they had).

GTX 760 runs at 16x speed on Maximus X Hero with 0802 bios.
GTX 760 runs at 16x speed on Z87-K with latest bios.

I guess I have to wait for the new BIOS revision, or may be there's something wrong with my motherboard.

Anyone else has this issue with their Strix 1080 Ti OC on Maximus X Hero?

Menthol
11-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Is the card fully seated, is your case not allowing the card to seat fully (test system outside of case similar to how the store tested)
what power supply? is it single rail? multi rail? if multi rail make sure there is nothing else that uses the same voltage rail as the video card

I have no issue on my X Hero, any bios with 1080 in slot 1 &X16

.fess
11-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Is the card fully seated, is your case not allowing the card to seat fully (test system outside of case similar to how the store tested)
what power supply? is it single rail? multi rail? if multi rail make sure there is nothing else that uses the same voltage rail as the video card

I have no issue on my X Hero, any bios with 1080 in slot 1 &X16

Yeah, i might have to try that again. I have EVGA 850 P2 power supply.

I had a 1080 before and had no issues with it at all. It's the Ti that's giving me grief not just on Maximus X Hero, but on the 4-year old z87-k platform as well.

.fess
12-04-2017, 10:52 PM
SOLVED! After all said and done, turns out the issue was with the motherboard itself. After exchanging the mobo for an idnetical one, the problem went away and GPU runs at pci-e 3.0 x 16 with everything plugged in, including two M.2 drives.

Thank you everyone for your help.

F-ZERO
01-10-2018, 09:17 AM
I have still the same problem. Tested several GPUs and all shows x8 on this board (All are working at x16 with an GA-Z97x-Gaming 7 from Gigabyte). CPU is an Intel Core i7 7820x. I have updated the BIOS from 0503 to the (at this time) actual version 0802. I have then sent the board to ASUS and they send it back after a month without solving my problem. I have also reassembled my components but the GPU is still at x8. They didn't replaced the board but updated it to version 1004. They even took the original box away and all the additional equipment was stuffed in the same package as the mainboard when it arrived here. That was unexpected and I still want the original box back. ASUS didn't answered my questions since then, taking the original box and just sending my board back without any explanation.

Thanks for your help.

Bill@ROG
01-10-2018, 10:03 AM
I have still the same problem. Tested several GPUs and all shows x8 on this board (All are working at x16 with an GA-Z97x-Gaming 7 from Gigabyte). CPU is an Intel Core i7 7820x. I have updated the BIOS from 0503 to the (at this time) actual version 0802. I have then sent the board to ASUS and they send it back after a month without solving my problem. I have also reassembled my components but the GPU is still at x8. They didn't replaced the board but updated it to version 1004. They even took the original box away and all the additional equipment was stuffed in the same package as the mainboard when it arrived here. That was unexpected and I still want the original box back. ASUS didn't answered my questions since then, taking the original box and just sending my board back without any explanation.

Thanks for your help.

Hello
Can you please send me a PM with any of the following details that you do have available?

Product S/N:
Case ID#:
RMA#:

Also please pass me your contact details:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

I'll pass your case to related personnel and department for further investigation
Thank you

Wheity
01-18-2018, 11:06 AM
@f-Zero

Any hints, why you don't fill out an Support Formular or call Asus Germany, while you post here in a non german Forum?

Please call our line or fill out on our page the Support Formular. If You have this RMA Number: RMA#: 352944022 This ist not an Asus RMA number.

Give us also the hint, to which mail addy you have written to our rma. Maybe You have send in your device over your dealer and not over us.

The right rma address is: op_rma@asus.com

paulmarc
04-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Granted, it's a different motherboard, but nearly the same family:

try reseating the GPU.

This made it work for me...

bass junkie xl
04-09-2018, 06:04 AM
had this same pci x 8 x issue on my asus rog x hero z 370 it didnt do it when i first got it but then the bios under gpu post didnt even show the gpu was installed and inside windows only gave my 8x under load ... resetting didnt do anything .

then i thought maybee its the pcix riser cable i am using on my vertical 1080 ti in my thermal take view 71 glass case is acting up .

replaced riser cable for the vertical gpu and no issue now

schweigert
05-15-2018, 02:58 AM
Currently having the same problem with an Asus Crosshair VII and RX480 - plugging the card directly into the board (or using an extension cable) still only getting 8x - as the only pcie card pugged in (into the 16x/8x slot)

as for throttling the card when not in use, it does go down to pcie 8x - 1.1 - but then jumps up to pcie 8x 3.0 when under load.

dyni00
09-26-2018, 02:38 PM
i have this same problem ASUS Z370 GAMING-F and palit gtx 1080 gamerock premium ed.

i have x8 pcie on graphic card and no other devices on pcie. wtf? :( new bios on mobo (1406 ) but previous (1002 ) not works at x16 too

bojerka
09-26-2018, 03:03 PM
I had same problem with ASUS Z87-DELUXE after deliding CPU (4790K). My GPU then running only on x8. Any GPU run on that mobo only x8.
I checked CPU socket if I damaged some pins but all looks OK. I check too PCIe slot but too looks clean and no damage.
Now this mobo with this CPU have my friend (GTX 1080 installed some GIGABYTE) and too runnig only on x8. Idle or full load still x8.

leader.desslock
10-04-2018, 01:12 PM
Hi

Do you have any other PCIe cards installed?

bojerka
10-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Other cards? No. That my old mobo have "2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)" but second slot works only on x4 speed. This mobo now have friend with that 4790K and EVGA GTX 1080 and GPU run only x8.

kens30
10-09-2018, 04:35 AM
Try cleaning the the gold contacts on your gpu with isopropyl alcohol and test again.
Sorry i just read that your problems started after you delided your cpu so it is most likely you might have damaged some traces.

frackzz
10-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Same problem on my Prime Z370-A and 1080TI.
This is clearly an ASUS problem and nothing to do with gold contacts.

bojerka
10-19-2018, 06:22 PM
I cleaned CPU many times too I checked socket on board with magnifying glass and don't see any damage. Still problem persist.

dyni00
10-27-2018, 11:45 AM
still x8 - no other pci-e devices, no m.2, onlu PALIT gtx1080 stillx8 but my friend not updated UEFI/BIOS (before spectre bug) and have x16!!!
I wrote to the support but ordered to send the mainboard to the service.
not possible for me. send me better mobo then ill send back to you this crap.

my suggest update UEFI/BIOS or not write to box SUPPORTED x16 PCIE

bojerka
10-27-2018, 11:59 AM
so do you fix this problem? I updating BIOS too but I can't say on 100% if GPU drop on x8 after delid or after BIOS update. I don't remember.

dyni00
10-27-2018, 12:11 PM
my mate not update bios/uefi never and have x16

bojerka
10-27-2018, 12:23 PM
This is strange. I have same board like you and I updating BIOS (on latest) but don't have this problem. GPU still running on x16. I had this problem on old Z87-DELUXE board but I had too on that board GTX 1080. On Z370-F have 1080 Ti now.

gdothello
12-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Hello,

I've recently updated BIOS to 0802 and GPU seems to have started running at "native x8 link speed." It used to always run PCI-E 3.0 @ x16, but now BIOS, GPU-Z and CPU-Z all show that it runs PCI-E 3.0 @ x8. Running GPU-Z render test or UNIGINE benchmarks doesn't help. It still shows PCI 3.0 @ x8. Clearing CMOS, reseating vid card didn't help. Running BIOS at optimized defaults didn't help. I'm running out of options here. Do you think I "broke" the mobo or vid card somehow or is it the BIOS issue. I hope it's the latter one. PC is only a month old and I had no issues with it until the recent BIOS update from 0505 to 0802. Here are my specs:

BIOS: 0802
OC'ed? No.
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
AIO: Corsair H100i v2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5"
NVMe (Boot): Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280
NVMe (Games): Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280
Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W

Thank you for your help!

I've had this issue with my Maximus Hero XI Mobo and 2080ti video card. I resolved the issue by simply resetting my bios settings back to default. I have no idea what setting fixed it but somehow along the way while trying to optimize stuff I must have mucked things up. Hope this helps.

wificardgeek
02-22-2019, 10:30 AM
I recommend ASUS PCE-AC56 WiFi PCI-Express Adapter. The extensible design of the WiFi card (https://www.m2wificards.com/best-pci-e-wifi-card/) makes it able to prioritize the data transfer services. You will not need any messy Ethernet cable as this adapter will instantly upgrade your network to the latest wireless 802.11ac standards.
The Broadcom TurboQAM technology offers a great transfer speed of up to 867Mbps on a 5Ghz band and up to 400Mbps on a 2.4Ghz band.

1. Instantly upgrades the PC to the 802.11AC wireless standards
2. Delivers 150% greater signal coverage

Brazen_
01-02-2020, 01:55 AM
Question... Just noticed my Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 PCIe_x16 adapter is only running at x4 on PCIex16_1 slot One! I have only one drive installed which is a PCIe_x4 NVMe 3.0 stick in slot M.2_1. According to everything I've read, including the manual, M.2_1 should NOT affect PCIex16_1. Since it's my boot drive, I can't (not do I want to!) pull the NVMe drive to see if the video adapter jumps to it's default x16 mode. Both the BIOS and GPU-Z report the current x4 bandwidth. BIOS doesn't even list the PCIex16_1 to adjust settings. The other 2 slots are present, w/optional settings. It's an 8/16 core Ryzen 7 2700x so I can't see the CPU lanes as a limiting factor?

I found an "Intel i5" post that suggested it could be the sound circuitry built into the GTX adapter "and" Motherboard hogging up lanes, but found no help on the Ryzen 7. This is a new build and my first Ryzen so I'm learning as I go. Any thoughts?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus ROG STRIX x470-F
16gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB (2x8)
Gigabyte 1070 GTX G1 Gaming 8gb
Intel 660p M.2 nVME 3.0 1024GB
Corsair tx850w PSU

https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-se...82E16820167462

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics...-8GD-rev-10#kf

_H0PE_
08-06-2020, 07:49 AM
I've noticed while mucking around in BIOS last few days that my PCIE16x_1 primary slot with my rtx 2080 is on x8 speed.
At the time I only had two m.2 in the slots and no other devices connected to the mobo (other than cpu of course).
Is this normal behavior or I should see x16 for the slot?
Tuf Z370-pro gaming motherboard.

Sathorn
08-19-2020, 06:08 PM
found a solution, posted there https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120177-STRIX-z390-E-Gaming-PCIEX16_1-x4&p=813245#post813245

BB_Deluxe
12-28-2020, 01:18 AM
I realize this thread isn't for my mobo but appreciate the troubleshooting advice given and I'm happy some of you figured out a solution. Unfortunately, this issue is still affecting my X99 Deluxe ii motherboard with a new 3090 card. I tried to reduce bandwidth for all other PCI-E slots as well as use every auto combination method available and still no dice on PCI-E_1. It maxes out at x8. I have to use slot 3 for x16 speed.

My details were posted here ( 1070 now a 3090 ): https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91276-X99-Deluxe-II-Bad-PCI-E-socket-or-CPU-x8-native

nonspin
02-21-2021, 07:40 AM
Even though it's a bit late, let me point out one little detail.. The difference between 8x and 16x is not noticeable. It certainly isn't "TWICE AS"-something.
Secondly .. and this is an experience thing .. and you can try it youself:
If you tighten the screw(s) (gpu) just a little bit too much, it'll change to 4x .. 8x .. 2x .. like a lottery.

Wangeyed
02-21-2021, 10:49 AM
Even though it's a bit late, let me point out one little detail.. The difference between 8x and 16x is not noticeable. It certainly isn't "TWICE AS"-something.
Secondly .. and this is an experience thing .. and you can try it youself:
If you tighten the screw(s) (gpu) just a little bit too much, it'll change to 4x .. 8x .. 2x .. like a lottery.

how tight your gpu is screwed in does not effect anything, i fixed this by removing the bios bat, clearing cmos jumpers didnt work.