PDA

View Full Version : Maximus Hero X

no1yak
11-29-2017, 09:02 PM
Can someone tell me if the above MB (non Wi-Fi) has a VRM sensor, only nothing shows up in HWinfo under Asus EC.

no1yak
11-30-2017, 12:45 PM
So I take it that no one knows the answer to my question, or can't be bothered to answer.

Menthol
11-30-2017, 03:09 PM
I don't see any VRM temp reading in AIDA64 either on my M10H Wifi, so if there is a sensor it cannot be read at this time, I don't know about the non Wifi model.
I don't know if it has anything to do with the Wifi/BT module, similar to CPU-Z not reading vcore correctly

no1yak
11-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Thank you for your reply. It's my feeling that there isn't a sensor but I thought I would ask.

SherardG
12-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I am also interested to know my VRM temps. I wouldn't like to think that it ships out without a sensor, considering that the board targets the enthusiast market. Could anyone from the ASUS Team provide some information? Thanks!

P-Dub
12-05-2017, 01:03 AM
There is definitely a sensor on the non-Wifi Max X hero. When I first installed HWiNFO64 (v5.60-3280) it asked if I wanted to enable an embedded controller because of compatibility reasons with other monitoring software. I clicked yes.

Under ASUS EC it shows VRM, PCH, CPU Vcc Sustain/Standby (VCCST_A), CPU PLL, VCCMP, and CPU_OPT fan. My temps are showing 47 current, 23 minimum and 62 maximum for VRM.

Hope this helps.

Menthol
12-05-2017, 03:55 AM
It does not show on the Wifi model, also CPU-Z reads half vcore. I would think there is a VRM sensor just unreadable on the Wifi for some reason.
That said with a little airflow over the VRM you will have no issue, I don't have any VRM heat issue with no direct airflow, just what the exhaust fans above the board. I did set a 40mm fan on top of my Vid card cooling the M.2 heatsink which lowered 960 pro temps almost 10c.

SherardG
12-05-2017, 08:42 AM
There is definitely a sensor on the non-Wifi Max X hero. When I first installed HWiNFO64 (v5.60-3280) it asked if I wanted to enable an embedded controller because of compatibility reasons with other monitoring software. I clicked yes.

Under ASUS EC it shows VRM, PCH, CPU Vcc Sustain/Standby (VCCST_A), CPU PLL, VCCMP, and CPU_OPT fan. My temps are showing 47 current, 23 minimum and 62 maximum for VRM.

Hope this helps.

Hello, Thanks for this information. I disabled the ASUS EC due to possible issues with memory (I'm not sure if you could break your SPDs because of it) but since your post, I've enabled it yet do not see any information for VRM temperatures, plus the fact that they are reporting two different values:

and

Maybe you could point me in the right direction? I am currently using HWiNFO v5.60-3280

It does not show on the Wifi model, also CPU-Z reads half vcore. I would think there is a VRM sensor just unreadable on the Wifi for some reason.
That said with a little airflow over the VRM you will have no issue, I don't have any VRM heat issue with no direct airflow, just what the exhaust fans above the board. I did set a 40mm fan on top of my Vid card cooling the M.2 heatsink which lowered 960 pro temps almost 10c.

I was here thinking to get the Wi-Fi model as well. Seems that not all boards are made the same in this case. As for the VRMs, I was looking to make use of the fan holder but couldn't get the fans, and based on the way my system is set up, I don't think I could mount it anyway as the top fans would be in the way of the mounting bracket:

no1yak
12-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Well, VRM is not showing up in HWInfo64 on either the Hero X or my Hero IX.

Edit:- Checked for VRM sensor in the bios under monitor- not there. Tried bios 0505, not there. It appears that some boards have and some don't.
Someone on the Aida forum was asking why the VRM was not shown when in the bios the VRM sensor is.

SherardG
12-06-2017, 05:30 AM
Well, VRM is not showing up in HWInfo64 on either the Hero X or my Hero IX.

Edit:- Checked for VRM sensor in the bios under monitor- not there. Tried bios 0505, not there. It appears that some boards have and some don't.
Someone on the Aida forum was asking why the VRM was not shown when in the bios the VRM sensor is.

That shouldn't be the case. Most reviews are able to get VRM temps measured without an IR Scanner, so I'm guessing, that's software based. I am using the same board as P-Dub (non-Wifi) so I'm not sure why my temps aren't getting read. On Monitor, I only have PCH, GPU, CPU, and Mainboard temps. This shouldn't be the case since according to the ASUS showcase, there is indeed a thermal sensor located in the VRM area.

no1yak
12-06-2017, 07:55 AM
The problem is that if not shown in the bios then as far as software goes it doesn't exist. Like I said this is something that needs to take up with Asus.

Personally i'm not too bothered about the lack of VRM temp as my machines don't get hammered. Lightroom and Photoshop are the main programs I use. But I agree that if Asus has said that VRM temp is monitored then that's exactly what we should be getting.

Perhaps Raja@Asus would care to comment.

ptc_mt
12-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Hero x WiFi model here as well...no VRM temperature in BIOS, Aida, etc

no1yak
12-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Looking at the reviews and looking at their bios pics, none of the reviews show the VRM sensor temp in the bios under monitor. This also goes for the Hero IX.

So Asus must have got it wrong in their MB showcase.

bloot
12-07-2017, 08:16 PM
No VRM temp sensor on my Maximus X Hero non wifi either.

Menthol
12-08-2017, 01:55 PM
As much as we would like to see the temps with normal case airflow VRM temps are not an issue on this platform even running a 8700K at 5.0 GHZ and above
I don;t now about the Formula or Code, the Apex does have VRM sensor

no1yak
12-08-2017, 03:12 PM
As much as we would like to see the temps with normal case airflow VRM temps are not an issue on this platform even running a 8700K at 5.0 GHZ and above
I don;t now about the Formula or Code, the Apex does have VRM sensor

I'm not saying that VRM temps are a problem on the Hero X because they are not but, Asus has shown in their show case of that MB a sensor for that device.
That's just totally slopy marketing. When a company advertise a feature you expect it to be there. The fact remains it is still false representation of the facts.

SherardG
12-08-2017, 06:42 PM
I'm not saying that VRM temps are a problem on the Hero X because they are not but, Asus has shown in their show case of that MB a sensor for that device.
That's just totally slopy marketing. When a company advertise a feature you expect it to be there. The fact remains the it is still false representation of the facts.

Amen to that

mukky
12-09-2017, 07:23 PM
I have X HERO WiFi model.
It can read VRM temp at HWiNFO, but can not read at BIOS.
Board Rev 1.01, BIOS 0802, HWiNFO64 5.60-3280

HWiNFO

BIOS

bloot
12-10-2017, 03:15 PM
I have X HERO WiFi model.
It can read VRM temp at HWiNFO, but can not read at BIOS.
Board Rev 1.01, BIOS 0802, HWiNFO64 5.60-3280

HWiNFO

BIOS

How can it be possible? My hwinfo readings

https://i.imgur.com/XWR7EGa.png

no1yak
12-11-2017, 12:47 PM
How can it be possible? My hwinfo readings

https://i.imgur.com/XWR7EGa.png

I have no idea why some boards are showing VRM and some are not. It would be interesting to find out from the all the people on this forum that have either the Hero Wi-Fi or non wi-Fi whether or not they can read the VRM temps. So far Asus rep has not made any comment.

bloot
12-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Thanks. I'm guessing it has to be related to some configuration on the BIOS or some switch on the motherboard, it makes no sense some have this temp reading and some don't being the exact same motherboard model...

no1yak
12-15-2017, 02:15 PM
I've Sent a PM to Raja@Asus but he has not replied. I find it strange that he will answer most question but, will not comment on why some boards will not display VRM temps. Either he dosen't know or doesn't care but, some response would be helpful.

ptc_mt
12-16-2017, 02:01 PM
I did as well, no response.

no1yak
12-16-2017, 02:35 PM
I did as well, no response.

This unfortunately is the way of Asus and Raja is no exception. I personally don't know the guy but, it's common decency to reply to post's and PM's.
What these people fail to realize is that without us they would not be in business they are just too concerned on taking peoples money.

It was a simple question, why no VRM temp readings.

P-Dub
12-17-2017, 04:02 AM
I wonder if there are shared sensors of some sort. For instance, the VRM sensor is disabled if you have something plugged in at a certain spot, you know like having an NVME disables Sata ports. Just a thought.

SherardG
12-18-2017, 01:27 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

bloot
12-18-2017, 06:48 PM
I wonder if there are shared sensors of some sort. For instance, the VRM sensor is disabled if you have something plugged in at a certain spot, you know like having an NVME disables Sata ports. Just a thought.

Yeah I've thought of it aswell @mukky who has VRM temp has also t1 and water in and water out temp readings on Asus EC (I guesss he plugged in something)

Menthol
12-18-2017, 07:55 PM
I like to see all temp and voltage readings myself for every device possible but at least this platform VRM temps should not be an issue, at least I have not seen any throttling to suggest otherwise

BillBittel
12-19-2017, 02:47 AM
Hmmm - I just got my Hero WIFI up and running, and Win10 loaded on it. It's back apart right now so I can load the case but I will certainly check on the EC sensor and see if VRM Temp shows up in HWiNFO64 and in SIV. If it exists, SIV will read it. I will post as soon as I check this.

no1yak
12-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Hmmm - I just got my Hero WIFI up and running, and Win10 loaded on it. It's back apart right now so I can load the case but I will certainly check on the EC sensor and see if VRM Temp shows up in HWiNFO64 and in SIV. If it exists, SIV will read it. I will post as soon as I check this.

Nothing in SIV either.

BillBittel
01-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Maximus X Hereo wifi -

I am running BIOS 1003 at defaults (fresh flash) and getting no VRM sensor data in AIDA64, HWiNFO, or SIV. It's just not there. I suspect there is some item in the BIOS that is causing this sensor to show up or not. For mine, with BIOS at default, it does NOT show up. Strange...

bass junkie xl
01-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Maximus X Hereo wifi -

I am running BIOS 1003 at defaults (fresh flash) and getting no VRM sensor data in AIDA64, HWiNFO, or SIV. It's just not there. I suspect there is some item in the BIOS that is causing this sensor to show up or not. For mine, with BIOS at default, it does NOT show up. Strange...

No vrm temps on my x hero Wi-Fi . Default bios , 802 and 1003 no vrm temps ......

Also bad audio unbalanced sound and audio crackling in front panel tons of x hero users report bad crackling and unbalanced sound nothing fixes it ....

This board is meh bad audio no vrm temps

BillBittel
01-16-2018, 12:23 AM
The thing is, there are others with the exact same MOBO and the exact same BIOS (for me 1003) and they do see VRM Temp in their BIOS. If you don't see it there (which I don't), you won't see it in AIDA / SIV / HWiNFO64. I have no idea why this is happening. Curious that Asus is silent on the matter. Suspicions are growing over on OC.net.

Menthol
01-16-2018, 01:23 AM
Alright no conspiracy theories, if the glove doesn't fit :)
The important thing is the Hero has a very good power supply VRM section so with minimal air flow there is no reason to be alarmed

BillBittel
01-16-2018, 03:03 AM
Alright no conspiracy theories, if the glove doesn't fit :)
The important thing is the Hero has a very good power supply VRM section so with minimal air flow there is no reason to be alarmed

Fair enough but still, everyone wants their hardware to fully function. Maybe the issue is specific to a board Rev. Have to look at mine. The post above about audio is something else I need to check out. My Z370 rig is still on the build bench. I haven't even connected a speaker or other audio device to it yet. I dont think I would endure an RMA over the VRM temp sensor (on Z370) but if I encounter a 2nd problem I would do it. *

Menthol
01-16-2018, 03:56 AM
I understand everyone's concern, I would like to read temps and voltages from every possible point myself but it just is not necessary on a daily use type system.
My board also does not display VRM temps, but I have ran it at 5.2 GHZ with mem OC as well using an AIO with no throttling so I am convinced there is no issue with VRM temperatures so I am not going to loose any sleep over that.
The sound issue, I did seem to have that to a small degree, manually installing drivers through device without installing the sound manager seems to have resolved that.

no1yak
01-16-2018, 12:44 PM
I agree with Menthol, the VRM is fine but, the point is that Asus show in their write up that this board has a VRM sensor. Now, what would you do if you bought say, a new car,or TV and then you find out that what was advertised was false, the same principal applies here. I have sent an email to Raja@asus plus Asus support, neither have responded. Some boards (Hero X) have the reported sensor, some don't, could it be that quality control was better on those boards that show the temp - I don't know.

The only thing I do know is that Asus don't want to incriminate themselves by answering posts and email on this subject.

swddeluxx
01-16-2018, 03:17 PM
helped me with these steps:

Go to Bios.
Load default, save and restart.
Go into bios again and flash it to your BIOS version (my Version is 0802)
When flash process is done Computer going restarting from self.
go to Bios and load Default Settings, save it and restart.
Now I have turn my PC off,
waited please for 10 seconds,
do Power cable out.
Now Press and hold for 5 seconds Bios Reset Button then release Button.
After that turn Power cable ON and start Computer.
Go to Bios and load Default Settings, save it and reboot.
Tadaaaaaa .... VRM sensor was there!
That's how it worked on my Maximus Hero X WiFi board!

bloot
01-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Go to Bios.
do Power cable out.

How did you come to the conclusion of doing this?

Tried twice but it didn't work for me :(

swddeluxx
01-16-2018, 06:17 PM
How did you come to the conclusion of doing this?

because I'm sure this happens because of a dirty Bios Update Process.
Btw. sometimes it is flashed all correctly and sometimes it going wrong and you can not see your VRM Sensor!, he can simply not be read.

BillBittel
01-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Well I guess that was worth a try. I did exactly what you suggested. Even went and downloaded a fresh copy of Maximus X Hero Wifi BIOS 1003, re-flashed, loaded optimized defaults, exited, etc. Tried it twice also. No VRM sensor data. I did not go back and try BIOS 0802. Guess that is worth a try but it definitely did not work with BIOS 1003, which supposedly has the Intel microcode update in it.

SWDDELUXX - can you post a BIOS shot of your MXH wifi BIOS with the VRM sensor showing up in the Monitor tab? I went back and read this thread and the one on OC.net. None of the posts or screen shots show the VRM sensor showing up in a Hero BIOS. There is one person who says it shows up in HWiNFO but not the BIOS (which is REALLY strange). All the others say they are not seeing it in the BIOS or any monitoring software. YOu are the first to say you did not see it and after your procedure, you did. Thanks !

bloot
01-16-2018, 11:12 PM
I tried with 1003 an 802 and no luck, VRM temp does not show up yet

BillBittel
01-18-2018, 05:40 PM
I asked about this issue on the HWINFO and AIDA forums. Both of the authors of these programs responded that there is more than 1 version of the Maximus X Hero boards. Asus changed a PWM controller chip in the VRM section and the alternate component does not report VRM temp. I suspect that realizing this, Asus removed the VRM temp from the BIOS - maybe from 0802 forward, possibly earlier.

Those who are seeing the VRM temp in HWINFO in the EC section must have the older version of the PWM controller chip. That is why they see VRM temp in HWiNFO, reported via EC, but not in the BIOS. The only case that remains a mystery is SWDDELUXX, who said after a BIOS re-flash and some power cycling and CMOS resets, VRM temps appeared in his BIOS. I am hoping he posts a screen shot of this to verify. If he is mistaken (not saying he is and hope he isn't), then the deal is Asus changed the component for whatever reason, then removed VRM Temp from the BIOS. I am not sure if they would accept the absence of this sensor as grounds for an RMA, and the replacement board would likely not have it anyway. Maybe since VRM temps are not a great concern with Z370, they didn't think it was a big deal. Since it seems that no one from Asus will comment on this mysterious vanishing sensor, we may never know.

no1yak
01-19-2018, 02:09 PM
I asked about this issue on the HWINFO and AIDA forums. Both of the authors of these programs responded that there is more than 1 version of the Maximus X Hero boards. Asus changed a PWM controller chip in the VRM section and the alternate component does not report VRM temp. I suspect that realizing this, Asus removed the VRM temp from the BIOS - maybe from 0802 forward, possibly earlier.

Those who are seeing the VRM temp in HWINFO in the EC section must have the older version of the PWM controller chip. That is why they see VRM temp in HWiNFO, reported via EC, but not in the BIOS. The only case that remains a mystery is SWDDELUXX, who said after a BIOS re-flash and some power cycling and CMOS resets, VRM temps appeared in his BIOS. I am hoping he posts a screen shot of this to verify. If he is mistaken (not saying he is and hope he isn't), then the deal is Asus changed the component for whatever reason, then removed VRM Temp from the BIOS. I am not sure if they would accept the absence of this sensor as grounds for an RMA, and the replacement board would likely not have it anyway. Maybe since VRM temps are not a great concern with Z370, they didn't think it was a big deal. Since it seems that no one from Asus will comment on this mysterious vanishing sensor, we may never know.

Well, if this is true, then no wonder Asus reps have not responded, something along the lines of " It's more than my job's worth".

SherardG
01-19-2018, 08:05 PM
That's unfair to the consumer since they were marketing the board as having a VRM sensor present :/

BillBittel
01-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Yep - this sure looks like a VRM temp sensor to me.

no1yak
01-21-2018, 02:17 PM
That's unfair to the consumer since they were marketing the board as having a VRM sensor present :/

When have you known any electronics giant to be fair to their customers. I'm not defending them but, they have the right to alter any product if they see fit, lack of original parts, or cheaper components . Fact remains that their advertising department has dropped the ball. They should have said something like "Some boards will not have VRM sensor due to production changes". ( mind you I doubt that advertising are even aware of any changes -left hand -V -Right hand not knowing what's going on) My original post asked if there was a VRM sensor on My Hero X, the answer I now know is NO, am I bothered-NO . We need to take what the advertising clowns say with a pinch -of -salt.

BillBittel
01-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Go to Bios.
do Power cable out.

So Swddeluxx can you please post a BIOS screen shot of the Monitor tab for your Maximus X Hero wifi showing the VRM temp that appeared after you re-flashed your BIOS, unplugged power, held BIOS Reset, etc? Yours is the only post anywhere that I have found that claims to see VRM Temp in the BIOS for this board. A few others have seen it reported in HWINFO, but I suspect they have older boards built before the apparent component substitution. Having the authors of HWINFO and AIDA both say ASUS changed components kind of seals this issue for me. But before I write this off as an undocumented hardware change by Asus (removing an advertised feature), I am asking once again for a BIOS screen shot documenting your claim that you got VRM Temp to show up in your MX Hero wifi BIOS. If you were mistaken, no worries - we all get confused sometimes. Just please either post the screen shot or update your claim, which is my last hope. **

Thanks!

carn4ge
03-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Lowly Z370-E Gaming user here. Am running a 8700k 5.2GHz @~1.3V.

I think this may be a labeling issue, 'VRM' may now be called 'Motherboard'. The reason I say this is that when running handbrake, CPU Package TDP hits 150-160W which is all the single 12V power rail is rated for.

The 'Motherboard' temperature sensor behaves exactly like the VRM sensor on other boards under load. I.e. it gets really hot. Using a infrared thermometer I see the VRM heatsinks get pretty toasty - peak reading was ~140F (sorry it reads F not C), although middle of the sink was a little cooler, and I see similar (somewhat higher) temps from the Motherboard sensor. And at idle I see both drop in a similar pattern. It's by far the highest temps I'm reading anywhere on the board (100mm fan blowing over the PCH keeps it in the 60Cs). This is exactly what I would expect from a VRM temp sensor - reads about 50% higher than the outside of the heatsink.

This may be a limitation of the Z370-E design, but even setting 'Motherboard' sensor to trigger a steep fan ramp to 100% above 50C (2x Corsair ML120 fans, one mounted to standard exhaust over rear VRM bank, one mounted as top-exhaust right over top VRM bank) barely keeps them below 90C.

I had to mount the fans this way to avoid Motherboard VR Throttling. It works (barely) but my point is that no amount of air is going to keep these VRMs 'cool' (yeah I know they're designed to run hot).

Disclaimer: This is all IMHO/FYI.

Can anyone confirm my 'theory'?

In the off chance that @Raja or someone at @asus raises their cone of silence: If 'Motherboard' isn't the VRM sensor or some sort of proxy, where is the sensor mounted? It doesn't seem to be documented *anywhere*.

andyc26
03-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Lowly Z370-E Gaming user here. Am running a 8700k 5.2GHz @~1.3V.

I think this may be a labeling issue, 'VRM' may now be called 'Motherboard'. The reason I say this is that when running handbrake, CPU Package TDP hits 150-160W which is all the single 12V power rail is rated for.

The 'Motherboard' temperature sensor behaves exactly like the VRM sensor on other boards under load. I.e. it gets really hot. Using a infrared thermometer I see the VRM heatsinks get pretty toasty - peak reading was ~140F (sorry it reads F not C), although middle of the sink was a little cooler, and I see similar (somewhat higher) temps from the Motherboard sensor. And at idle I see both drop in a similar pattern. It's by far the highest temps I'm reading anywhere on the board (100mm fan blowing over the PCH keeps it in the 60Cs). This is exactly what I would expect from a VRM temp sensor - reads about 50% higher than the outside of the heatsink.

This may be a limitation of the Z370-E design, but even setting 'Motherboard' sensor to trigger a steep fan ramp to 100% above 50C (2x Corsair ML120 fans, one mounted to standard exhaust over rear VRM bank, one mounted as top-exhaust right over top VRM bank) barely keeps them below 90C.

I had to mount the fans this way to avoid Motherboard VR Throttling. It works (barely) but my point is that no amount of air is going to keep these VRMs 'cool' (yeah I know they're designed to run hot).

Disclaimer: This is all IMHO/FYI.

Can anyone confirm my 'theory'?

In the off chance that @Raja or someone at @asus raises their cone of silence: If 'Motherboard' isn't the VRM sensor or some sort of proxy, where is the sensor mounted? It doesn't seem to be documented *anywhere*.

I just had a look and my VRM sensor does not read the same as the motherboard sensor. Doesn't read te same as any other sensor. Of course, it's at the stage where I even wonder if what HWinfo is reporting as VRM in EC monitoring is a VRM sensor at all.

carn4ge
03-12-2018, 07:44 AM
I just had a look and my VRM sensor does not read the same as the motherboard sensor. Doesn't read te same as any other sensor. Of course, it's at the stage where I even wonder if what HWinfo is reporting as VRM in EC monitoring is a VRM sensor at all.

Actually I'm starting to question my theory. It seems that this Motherboard sensor heats up under load really rapidly. Far faster than I would expect a VRM under a heatsink would. Other than that, it seems like a reasonable proxy. But you are probably right.

Luckily my chaeap-o Z370E actually came with a thermalcouple sensor accessory. I had it hanging in the middle of the case and labeled it Ambient Temp. It looks about the right size & shape to cram between VRM blocks under the heatsink so I might try jamming it in there or maybe just strapping it somehow with some thermal paste to the back side of the heatsink itself. This will probably solve my rapid fan rpm ramping problem probably with a little tweaking of the ramp curve.

It sure would be nice if ASUS documented thermal sensor locations somewhere.

no1yak
03-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Well, you have two choices, one RMA the board or two, live with it. Your board does not have a VRM sensor. If what you are saying is correct then sling the board back to Asus. Also this post relates to the Hero X and not your board.

carn4ge
03-12-2018, 08:56 PM
Well, you have two choices, one RMA the board or two, live with it. Your board does not have a VRM sensor. If what you are saying is correct then sling the board back to Asus. Also this post relates to the Hero X and not your board.

Fair enough, although it's really a wider Z370-series lack of VRM temp probe issue than Hero-X specific. But I like the Z370-E and don't RMA stuff unless it's actually defective. (Lets not argue about whether loss of VRM sensor = defect)

FWIW for those who are interested: After experimenting last night I realized my theory is just wrong. Although 'Motherboard' behaves similarly to how a VRM sensor would, it's not a very good proxy - might as well as use CPU temp sensor. But because of stupid ASUS limitations, I can't use that because it forces 100% duty cycle above 75C which is WAY TOO LOUD.

I tried taping the included round T_Sensor thermocouple to the heatsink but couldn't get the reading to move *at all* which is really weird. Still reads ambient case temp even though heatsink is too hot to touch. (?) Does T_Sensor even work or defective sensor? Am going to order a flat tapeable style 10K sensor to see if that works better.

nomoreload
03-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Guys, I found that thermal sensor, that named as T2 on HWiNFO64 is the VRM sensor!!! I hope that it will helps someone. I measure VRM temps under LinX load and compare it with sensor values. They are same.

mcmarky
03-22-2018, 07:00 PM
I dont think that T2 is a VRM temperature on my Hero. T2 seems to depend on the CPU temperature. T2 is not really the CPU temperature of the cores or package, I suppose it is a temperature probe on the mainboard near the CPU socket. T2 temperature is going down too fast after load for a passive cooled VRM.

SherardG
06-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Paging Raja@Asus

Lighthugger
08-02-2018, 11:10 PM
I'd like to conform that T2 is vrm on my Hero x.

I have insulated the heatsink and temps for T2 went far higher than normal, after seeing this I used a air pump with a hose attached and directed air directly on the same vrm heat sink and T2 temps went down. These tests I did were under P95 small fft, I allowed about ten minutes for temps to stabilize before tests and the same during and after. Ambient temps were the same, in fact all conditions were identical. I'm convinced after isolating the VRM heat sink that T2 is VRM.

It would be nice is someone could confirm this.

GTVAPSAMTIK
08-14-2018, 02:41 AM
Paging Raja@Asus

Almost a year and I am amazed by fantastic Customer Support provided by Asus on this TOPIC. No one at ASUS bother to look at their ROG Forums?.

owikh8464
08-14-2018, 06:16 AM
They've revised the image to exclude the thermal sensor on the VRM area.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/

mrvortep
08-14-2018, 03:08 PM
So what is T2 then if not the VRM...?

mrvortep
08-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Update: I am quietly confident that T2 (per HWInfo label) is a VRM setting. Keeping everything else the same on my Maximus X Hero, I upped CPU VRM switching frequency to (max) 500khz and changed CPU Power Duty Contrl to Extreme. This change alone made the "T2" temperature jump from running in the mid-high 50s to low 70s under a P95 AVX torture test.

Surely it's a VRM temp sensor, this is on a brand new Maximus Hero X (Wifi AC), bought a couple of weeks ago.

Carlyle2020
08-17-2018, 07:44 AM
T2+9 degree is a save bet my tests have shown.

mrvortep
08-17-2018, 05:03 PM
T2+9 degree is a save bet my tests have shown.

What? I don't know what this means.

cricketbones
08-18-2018, 06:40 AM

Welcome to the internet tech forum, where there is loads of confidence in misinformation, misunderstanding and incompetence.

Carlyle2020
08-18-2018, 10:20 AM

mrvortep
08-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Now I understand what you were saying, thanks. Sadly my ASUS EC section has no VRM sensor category identified.

Zfast4y0u
09-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Sooo... i went removed top rad fans, back intake fan, fired up intel burn test for like 20-20+ min. heat sink got hot to touch ( both of em left one and upper one ). this are the temps:

https://imgur.com/a/MvtsYEy

i noticed some weird behavior however. temp would max at 46c but every 30sec or so, it would come down to 44-45c then spike up in couple of seconds to 46c. most of time was on 46c.

same thing happend when i put fan on it. temps started going down but with weird spikes of 2c (up) and coming down slowly.

i did check heatsink temps with heatgun and they were in 40c range, up to 41-43c.

minimal temp with fan blowing air is 38c

https://imgur.com/a/z0Nh20f

im still not 100% convinced, T2 is vrm sensor. i put damn noctua industrial 3000rpm fan on it and run it on 2200rpm. that thing move ton of air and still temp diff aint that big between passive cooling and with this kind of fan.

heat sinks were cold with it blowing air on it.

this vrm heatsink need time to get warm, but how much i can tell, it can absorb **** ton of heat.

idle temp with fan blowing is 32c. with fan off 2c higher. 34c.

https://imgur.com/a/90d38Dt

this T2 might be close to vrm section but i dont think it actually reports vrm temp accurate. i will try tomorrow with OC profile and see how hot can this T2 get.

@the guy who posted pic with vrm temps in it

if you have vrm temp and t2 in ur board, what does t2 meassure then??? back side of board or what? i dont get it.

Asryan
02-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Can't find how to see VRM temps in HWinfo with a Maximus Hero X

here's what I Have : 79091

Thanks !