PDA

View Full Version : Understanding and using XMP

Praz
12-06-2017, 02:44 AM
XMP is often viewed as plug n' play when overclocking memory. As is the case when overclocking other system components memory stability may not be achievable by simply enabling XMP.

XMP will have been fully qualified by the memory manufacturer. This testing is done on a sample of boards the manufacturer has in there possession and/or by machine testing. The motherboard manufacturer likewise qualify specific memory sets for motherboards using provided memory sets, board samples and design/test data. The following are important considerations to keep in mind when relying on XMP as an overclocking option:

Using XMP is not running the system at default stock settings. Any memory setting that differs from JEDEC or processor manufacturer specifications is an overclock.

XMP is valid only for the set of memory that is purchased. Mixing modules or combining kits results in the XMP profile being no longer valid.

Regardless of what may be assumed from marketing XMP does not guarantee automatic overclocking. The tighter the timings or higher the frequency compared to stock specifications the more likely chance there is that the user will need to manually make some adjustments for stability.

To increase the probability of XMP being successful and when overclocking memory in general purchase memory kits one or two bins lower than the maximum the motherboard is qualified for.

The biggest variable of XMP being successful will be the capabilities of the processor's IMC. As with CPU speed memory overclocking success will vary from one CPU sample to the next.

When enabling XMP it is normal and should be expected that the board will alter other settings as well as voltages. These changes are set up to accommodate the processors at the lower end of the lot sampled. Especially with voltages it is the responsibility of the user to change these values to amounts that suit the particular CPU and configuration being used. Below are examples of some of the voltages that were altered by enabling XMP. As can be seen this CPU requires considerably less IO, SA and Standby voltages for stability than initially set.

XMP enabled

XMP enabled with IO, SA and Standby voltages adjusted to match the needed values for the CPU

SherardG
12-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Thanks for this comprehensive guide! When you lowered the VCCIO, SA, and CPU Standby, how did you arrive at these values?

Is your 8700K Delidded? That temperature is low!

Dovakhan
12-06-2017, 10:17 AM
No hard feelings towards the OP (it's not his fault anyway), but why do I get the feeling that this thread was made sticky as a response to my complains? If I'm right, that'd be SO infantile...(yet again).

But OK, I'll bite. Loaded BIOS defaults, and the only option I modified is SVID at Best Behaviour (so XMP is disabled and RAM at default 2133, also verified that in HWiNFO64). And the voltages are still EXACTLY THE SAME, and I'm still having EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUES as when I have it enabled.

Next excuse, please?

Praz
12-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Thanks for this comprehensive guide! When you lowered the VCCIO, SA, and CPU Standby, how did you arrive at these values?

Is your 8700K Delidded? That temperature is low!
Hello

Change the voltages or settings in small steps and retest for stability. In this instance I know what this CPU is capable of so I set 1V for all 3 settings. With further tuning the voltages can most likely be reduced further in this instance. Yes, the CPU is delidded.

No hard feelings towards the OP (it's not his fault anyway), but why do I get the feeling that this thread was made sticky as a response to my complains? If I'm right, that'd be SO infantile...(yet again).

But OK, I'll bite. Loaded BIOS defaults, and the only option I modified is SVID at Best Behaviour (so XMP is disabled and RAM at default 2133, also verified that in HWiNFO64). And the voltages are still EXACTLY THE SAME, and I'm still having EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUES as when I have it enabled.

Next excuse, please?
Hello

See my post in your latest thread.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98027-Did-some-tests-so-you-don-t-have-to-Basic-voltage-tables-for-Z370-G-and-8700K&p=690773&viewfull=1#post690773

Silent Scone@ROG
12-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Great post, Praz. Covers ground that most users often overlook.

Next excuse, please?

I think you're flattering yourself too much. This is basic ground when it comes to memory overclocking and buying binned kits, and something that comes up time and time again. Memory is a complex subject that can't really be covered completely as it's outside the scope of what the end user will understand. What this post from Praz does, is tell you exactly what the profile does and the implications of it. Whether one chooses to accept that or not is down to that individual.

Carbonicdk
12-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Probably also doesn't help that Z370 got released early and thus tends to have issues with XMP and memory overclocking in general. Bios probably needs a lot of work and there's sadly not been as many updates as I expected there would.

Dovakhan
12-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Probably also doesn't help that Z370 got released early and thus tends to have issues with XMP and memory overclocking in general. Bios probably needs a lot of work and there's sadly not been as many updates as I expected there would.

I'm emailing ASUS support about those issues, seeing how the mods here are more interested on deleting messages rather than reporting them to the techs and giving status updates. It'd be nice if everybody with those voltage issues here did the same.

Now, if only they could reply more than once a week, maybe we could get all the issues solved.

Praz
12-10-2017, 07:05 PM
I'm emailing ASUS support about those issues, seeing how the mods here are more interested on deleting messages rather than reporting them to the techs and giving status updates. It'd be nice if everybody with those voltage issues here did the same.

Now, if only they could reply more than once a week, maybe we could get all the issues solved.

Hello

This thread is for XMP specific topics only. It is not a dumping ground general whining and moaning. All future off topic posts will be removed without notification.

Atifan
12-12-2017, 06:59 PM
delete because offtopic^^

theWanderer521
12-26-2017, 02:59 AM
ROG Strix Z370-e / i7 8700k

Hi new member here. I am no expert in overclocking etc.
I recently bought this PC (all brand new parts) few weeks ago. For being stupid (stupid coz I just updated BIOS just for the update) , I decided to update my BIOS to 5605 from 0419. I also enabled XMP profile. MCE disabled.
Right now I have fluctuating CPU temps that I have never encountered on the previous BIOS build.
Though it is stable like I can boot to Windows..do my normal stuff (browse etc.) It's just I have fears regarding these temps. Should I be worried? Should I downgrade to previous BIOS? I also experienced 85c in normal 3D sketchup renders....

If anyone can try to help and point me on any particular setting to adjust on this latest update I would greatly appreciate it.
Furthermore, I haven't done OC this one or any delidding or any expert stuff. Thanks once again!

Silent Scone@ROG
03-16-2018, 08:42 AM
ROG Strix Z370-e / i7 8700k

Hi new member here. I am no expert in overclocking etc.
I recently bought this PC (all brand new parts) few weeks ago. For being stupid (stupid coz I just updated BIOS just for the update) , I decided to update my BIOS to 5605 from 0419. I also enabled XMP profile. MCE disabled.
Right now I have fluctuating CPU temps that I have never encountered on the previous BIOS build.
Though it is stable like I can boot to Windows..do my normal stuff (browse etc.) It's just I have fears regarding these temps. Should I be worried? Should I downgrade to previous BIOS? I also experienced 85c in normal 3D sketchup renders....

If anyone can try to help and point me on any particular setting to adjust on this latest update I would greatly appreciate it.
Furthermore, I haven't done OC this one or any delidding or any expert stuff. Thanks once again!

If not tuning manually, auto scaling rules can differ from build to build. You can either revert back to the older BIOS or tune associated voltages manually. With XMP profile enabled, look at tuning the System Agent and VCCIO voltages. How much voltage is needed depends on the memory frequency, memory and the CPU sample.

Snakeyes
04-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Hi and thank you Praz, (assuming the same Praz from the ancient OCZ days ?)
Just shifted to my new set up. Appreciate the post, very helpful.

diegof
05-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone, i have a little doubt, what should i do with the MCE? should let it in auto or deactivated, because if i only want to set my rams.......i don't know i'm a little dizzy.

Raja@ASUS
05-17-2018, 03:40 AM
Depends if you're going to overclock the CPU. If you are, select yes.

xherics
07-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Hello,

I wanted to check the images, open them in bigger, but it wrote an error, that I do not have permissions.

Can you please allow me, so I can open them?

Thank you.
Regards,
Stefan

Silent Scone@ROG
07-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Hello,

I wanted to check the images, open them in bigger, but it wrote an error, that I do not have permissions.

Can you please allow me, so I can open them?

Thank you.
Regards,
Stefan

If you're logged in, simply click on them.

F0x135
07-11-2018, 03:30 AM

Well he had to be logged in to post his message. I've been getting this same error for months now.

Question on this XMP topic: if XMP is the first thing i've set AFTER clearing CMOS, tested ram for stability then rebooted, would there be any issues if i left XMP on and just altered all the other specs to OC the CPU and RAM?

xherics
07-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Well, I am logged in and they do not work :) That is the reason, why I wrote here.

Snakeyes
07-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Well he had to be logged in to post his message. I've been getting this same error for months now.

Question on this XMP topic: if XMP is the first thing i've set AFTER clearing CMOS, tested ram for stability then rebooted, would there be any issues if i left XMP on and just altered all the other specs to OC the CPU and RAM?

No problem at all.

F0x135
07-13-2018, 10:24 PM
No problem at all.

Okay, thanks! I'll keep continuing to push the OC.

BLOODCHILLER
09-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Hi all I have xmp enabled and I have run cpu - z seems my core speed in cpu section is going up and down 0799,2then 0800.2 then 4,700then 3900 ect ect is this normal ?

jarza_
11-13-2020, 01:11 PM
Yeah thats is totally normal operation called Intel SpeedStep. It reduces cpu speed and voltages automatically to lower power consumption. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007073/processors.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

FMobile
11-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, just a quick one.. I haven't encountered that before.

I ve bought a set of 16x2 GB Corsair RGB memory CL15 3000mhz.
If i select an xmp profile on my z490 G gaming it sets out unusual values.
FSB is set to 102.5 ( which i can understand due to 3000mhz ram) but it also sets out cpu cache ratio to 43.

I do not want to run it on these settings. This causes extra heat and extra fan noise. SO what I did is a manually set it to 100 FSB, I set cpu cache to auto, keep the CL15 timings and voltage 1.35( up from 1.2) but run in in 2933mhz instead of 3000mhz.

DO you think I did the right thing?

rstolpe1988
12-28-2020, 11:23 AM
Quastion; can XMP break the CPU? I don't think so after everything I have been reading but just wondering.