PDA

View Full Version : Ssd & caddy g750jm

Lincoln656
12-17-2017, 03:30 AM
OK my g750JM is now 3 years old!

So now I'm experiencing slow boot time and I notice there's a slow down or a little bit of freeze while reading.
So I guess the HDD is almost to its limits?

Anyway I did watch videos on how to upgrade it. But my only concern is do I still need a caddy?
Cause I did saw some videos the ssd just fit perfectly! but that brand is plexstor I think.

I plan to buy the samsung evo 500gb.
I just want to know if i still need a caddy?
and also ifyou have a link for the correct caddy. Please paste it here ^^

Thanks in advance!

Digimutant
12-17-2017, 12:23 PM
If you use a utility like CrystalDiskInfo, you can see its current health there. As for the caddy, the G750JM would already have one because of its current HDD.

Clintlgm
12-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Yes the Samsung 850 evo or pro are both 2.5" format SSD the case is no different than any other spinner hard drive, most are only 7mm thick and your maximum height is 9.5 mm so your current caddy will work

With that said I seem to remember that some of the G750 came with a special connector on the 0 hard drive slot with 2 128 GB ssd's in raid 0 mode with a special adapter. it this is your case you'll have to talk with more G750 owners as to how to deal with that as I never did understand what that was all about.

And yes you do need the caddy to hold your SSD or Hard drive in place, with notebooks and moving around a lot a SSD or hard drive could work its self loose from the SATA and Power connectors since the are mounted solid with no or very little flexibility So the caddy hold the hard drive from moving around and becoming disconnected.

Lincoln656
12-18-2017, 12:19 AM
If you use a utility like CrystalDiskInfo, you can see its current health there. As for the caddy, the G750JM would already have one because of its current HDD.

CrystalDiskInfo says my drive health is on caution state!

C5 or Current Pending Sector Count raw value = 3072

I did read some C5 topics on the net. And most of them they say that I have bad sectors and need to replace my drive.
Anyway I did do a chkdsk /f command on my drive now and windows successfully repair it. Not totally repair its just like windows wont use that area anymore lul!

I think my HDD will last till my SSD get here.
I can still do the games I want the only annoying part is the boot time and occasional hang/freeze like 1 to 2 secs?

Lincoln656
12-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Yes the Samsung 850 evo or pro are both 2.5" format SSD the case is no different than any other spinner hard drive, most are only 7mm thick and your maximum height is 9.5 mm so your current caddy will work

With that said I seem to remember that some of the G750 came with a special connector on the 0 hard drive slot with 2 128 GB ssd's in raid 0 mode with a special adapter. it this is your case you'll have to talk with more G750 owners as to how to deal with that as I never did understand what that was all about.

And yes you do need the caddy to hold your SSD or Hard drive in place, with notebooks and moving around a lot a SSD or hard drive could work its self loose from the SATA and Power connectors since the are mounted solid with no or very little flexibility So the caddy hold the hard drive from moving around and becoming disconnected.

I already bought it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My rig comes with 1TB. So I guess my case is not the case you saying.
Anyway will just go back here just in case I did encounter an error/problem. But hope not :D

JustinThyme
12-18-2017, 03:19 AM
The SSD will fit fine where your spinner is now.
Im thinking you were referring to using one of the caddys that replaes the optical drive, waste of time and money as the optical connection is SATA I or in other words. SLOW AS HE double hocky sticks!!!

It looks like you have what you need ordered. You can use Samsung data migration tool to make the move to the SSD. Best alternative for Samsung consumer drives. Works faster than just about anything Ive used including Macrium and Acronis. Simple to use. Do your clone then just pull out the old spinner and put the SSD in its place and you're set! The app is self explantory, select source then target and let her rip. It will prompt when its done to shut down and swap drives. Im actually surprised you made 3 years, the HSGT drives they have been using are junk.