PDA

View Full Version : This awfully expensive GX501VI laptop's battery is a lemon already?

VixusFoxy
12-24-2017, 04:50 PM
I have edited this post to bring awareness of the issue. The original post is pasted below this.

I did a bit of research and for a laptop that's uncommon, this problem sure as heck is common.
Within 5 minutes of googling "GX501 battery problem" I had found 6 people who have had the exact same issue with the exact same laptop that has the exact same type of battery.

It's amazing that ASUS has not performed a recall, or even acknowledged the issue.
That's what amazes me.

User performs emergency disassembly of GX501 due to battery airbagging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46UXQGXvdEs

Another user reports swollen battery with GX501: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zephyrus-gx501-swollen-battery.821843/

A user on these forums reports swollen battery with the GX501 right after having a battery replaced: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104841-Zephyrus-(GX501)-Battery-Swell

Reddit user on /r/pcmasterrace suffers from a swollen battery with the GX501: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/97nxx7/rip_battery_swollen_like_a_loaf_of_unbaked_bread/

Not to mention the amount of users in this thread who have had the exact same issue.

What's up ASUS, Can we get a response?

__ Original post below __

http://vixus.nl/i/qn9dc_chrome_122417-1756.png
https://i.imgur.com/m5GfnKN.png
http://vixus.nl/i/Ekd82_chrome_122417-1752.png

What the hell is this?
The battery is bloating under my keyboard?

MasterC@ROG
12-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Does the battery life of the the laptop correspond to the what the software indicates? How long does the battery last now (after a full charge)?

VixusFoxy
12-26-2017, 03:49 AM
Does the battery life of the the laptop correspond to the what the software indicates?

This is the Windows battery management output.
The battery life of the laptop corresponds with those readouts which is what prompted me to analyze it to begine with.

How long does the battery last now (after a full charge)?
I have just enough time to run with my laptop from the living room to the bedroom and quickly plug it in again.
Which is about a minute or two, tops.

MasterC@ROG
12-26-2017, 05:20 AM
Please send it in for RMA, the laptop certainly shouldn't last for a couple of minutes.

VixusFoxy
01-30-2018, 12:52 AM
Please send it in for RMA, the laptop certainly shouldn't last for a couple of minutes.

So I decided to look it on for a few more weeks and I've noticed that my keyboard is bulging.
I'm very curious whether the battery is situated under the keyboard right now.

MasterC@ROG
01-30-2018, 01:49 AM
Really should have somebody look at it soon. Which GX laptop do you have? Zephyrus?

VixusFoxy
01-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Really should have somebody look at it soon. Which GX laptop do you have? Zephyrus?

That's correct.
GX501VIK

https://i.imgur.com/90KaBzb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qiFEzXs.png

Even on the pictures you can see that the center row on the keyboard is clearly standing convex.

Moving forward with RMA but I can't find the darn receipt!
I did register my hardware though.

MasterC@ROG
01-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Ahhh! Doesn't look good... That is indeed where the battery is. If there are any issues getting it RMA'd let us know.

VixusFoxy
01-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Ahhh! Doesn't look good... That is indeed where the battery is. If there are any issues getting it RMA'd let us know.

Hiya MasterC,

I'm currently underway to the store. It's a 2 hour train journey so I figured I might as well post a status update.
Called the retailer (Alternate) and they told me that I could either send the machine back by mail or actually go to the store and turn it over there with the ability to either get a replacement or a loaner for the time being.

However, what I'm afraid of is that, when the machine comes back from the service center, that the keyboard will still be warped, and that the audio distortion bug that has been plaguing other users will still be present despite the FW / SW updates.

Anyway, we'll see how it all turns out. I'm just admittedly a bit salty about my 3300 euro laptop giving me more trouble than any other machine I've bought before.

Kind regards,
Vix.

MasterC@ROG
01-31-2018, 01:56 AM
Hiya MasterC,

I'm currently underway to the store. It's a 2 hour train journey so I figured I might as well post a status update.
Called the retailer (Alternate) and they told me that I could either send the machine back by mail or actually go to the store and turn it over there with the ability to either get a replacement or a loaner for the time being.

However, what I'm afraid of is that, when the machine comes back from the service center, that the keyboard will still be warped, and that the audio distortion bug that has been plaguing other users will still be present despite the FW / SW updates.

Anyway, we'll see how it all turns out. I'm just admittedly a bit salty about my 3300 euro laptop giving me more trouble than any other machine I've bought before and at this time am even silently hoping that it is beyond saving so I can have my money back and invest it in another device, perhaps even with a bigger screen.

Kind regards,
Vix.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. This is the first time I've heard of this issue, and I have reported it to the manager responsible for the Zephyrus. Please private message me your RMA number when you get it, we will make sure the keyboard isn't warped and check for audio distortion as well.

DJRiful
01-31-2018, 04:28 AM
Bad QA for those battery. What happened is that the internal battery film layer got contact (suppose to separate it), or slightly punctured that will cause it to bloat it up when charged. Seen too much on phone batteries.

I've notice, the internal QA is pretty poor to be honest on the GX501. Exterior is fine but interior is full of fingerprints. ... this is not assembled by machine. Actually hand assembly without gloves.

waltercool
02-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Bad QA for those battery. What happened is that the internal battery film layer got contact (suppose to separate it), or slightly punctured that will cause it to bloat it up when charged. Seen too much on phone batteries.

I've notice, the internal QA is pretty poor to be honest on the GX501. Exterior is fine but interior is full of fingerprints. ... this is not assembled by machine. Actually hand assembly without gloves.

Dammn, I'm getting the same problem, if I disconnect the laptop, will shut down, and keyboard seems to be a bit raised.

waltercool
02-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Attached some photos also of my problem.

My battery seems to be stucked at 56%, and disconnecting the laptop means shutdown. Seems to be dead.

Sadly, I bought the laptop on USA (I'm not from US) and I don't have warranty on my country :(

Also, my battery light start flashing red after couple of minutes using the laptop . No idea what that means.

waltercool
02-13-2018, 06:59 PM
OK I wasted ~200USD on official ASUS technical support because I couldn't get any warranty on my country (bought on USA).

Not funny.

thejebronie
02-20-2018, 03:04 AM
this is annoying my laptop is not even 3 mount old and my battery lost 25% capacitity only get 45 min of light browsing now i am unsatisfying , and now that i see people with laptop that are ready to explode and swelling up i think this should be fix by asus asap i think we all deserve are money back they should have a recall for this real fast

now i am afraid to use the laptop unbelievable i never tough it would come to this i am really unhappy:mad:

VixusFoxy
02-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Status update:

My machine is apparently underway back from ASUS to the Retailer. I'm going to assume they swapped the battery.
Seeing other users reporting this issue now, I am starting to get moderately concerned. If this new battery starts to crap out like the other one did, then I would very much like a refund because the last thing I need is a fire hazard in my house.

We'll see how it goes, I'm going to be keeping my eyes on this.

#bulgegate

VixusFoxy
02-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Here we go, fellow adventurers!

Just got my machine back with a new keyboard and a new battery.
Battery stats happily report 50mWh and thus the trials begin.

Can this thread be moved back from whence it came?
Since technical support is no longer required (at this point) I want to keep it open for discussion.

ROG_HARDCORE
03-21-2018, 02:46 PM
The battery protection are well being engineered, but the battery cell it self is a crap. inflated battery everywhere.
Sadly, i'm have removed and disposed the battery myself due to safety to me and 2699$ machine. I've violated the warranty policy and now I have to pay for the new battery.

Great!

AmaterasuKillKratos
06-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Yo everybody, hope u all going well.

I am from Switzerland and i apology for my poor english.

So i have that same problem till 2-3 month and Asus Europa (or Asus France, i dont know) really seem useless because it is like one moth and half i am trying to get my computer repaired. They still telling me to wait because they are waiting for a response from someone i absolutely ignore who is.

So this is why i came here, may somebody can help me here ? It is my first time here in this forum and i was very happy to see that i am not the only one who has this inflating battery problem. I searched a lot in google and it is only here i found some people with the same problem.

Thanks a lot :)

DRIVER46
06-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Yo everybody, hope u all going well.

I am from Switzerland and i apology for my poor english.

So i have that same problem till 2-3 month and Asus Europa (or Asus France, i dont know) really seem useless because it is like one moth and half i am trying to get my computer repaired. They still telling me to wait because they are waiting for a response from someone i absolutely ignore who is.

So this is why i came here, may somebody can help me here ? It is my first time here in this forum and i was very happy to see that i am not the only one who has this inflating battery problem. I searched a lot in google and it is only here i found some people with the same problem.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi, what is the model that are you talking about? Is it the gx501vi (2017 version) or the gx501gi (2018 version)?

AmaterasuKillKratos
06-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Hi, what is the model that are you talking about? Is it the gx501vi (2017 version) or the gx501gi (2018 version)?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I have the gx501vi model, with gtx 1080 Max-Q Design.
I am still waiting for Asus Europa/France answer.

Thanks

Karnie
06-21-2018, 04:13 PM
I bought the Zephryus M GM501GS-EI003T from Alternate In the netherlands(where i live). And when I unboxed the laptop I put it on a charger. when I came back 2 hours later the battery was 71% while I started with 27%. I tried to charge and discharge but it didn't help. All drivers were up to date. So Asus... You produce great laptops but you should fix your batteries.

Also the Bios said it is 0% while windows says it is 100%. Also it discharges in bulks of 4 to 8%.

So I wrote a batteryreport and it said "battery changed" in a certain time loop...

So i contacted Alternate and they gave me a RMA. Now I hope they can fix this..

Mike

VixusFoxy
09-25-2018, 04:49 AM
So we're 6 months later and this story gets a followup.

Spoiler: It's effed up again. ;)

You can see it here (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105152-GX501VI-laptop-s-battery-is-faulty!-(2nd-battery-failure!)/page2)

Note: Feel free to read the linked service inquiry but keep the discussion here in this thread please. Thanks -xero

DJRiful
10-07-2018, 02:48 PM
We should open class action sue ASUS. Sold us lemon product.

VixusFoxy
10-11-2018, 06:53 AM
We should open class action sue ASUS. Sold us lemon product.

What's more concerning is, I did a bit of research and for a laptop that's uncommon, this problem sure as heck is common.
Within 5 minutes I had found 6 people who have had the exact same issue with the exact same laptop that has the exact same type of battery.

It's amazing that ASUS has not performed a recall, or even acknowledged the issue.
That's what amazes me.

Edit: I should cite my sources.

User performs emergency disassembly of GX501 due to battery airbagging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46UXQGXvdEs

Another user reports swollen battery with GX501: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zephyrus-gx501-swollen-battery.821843/

A user on these forums reports swollen battery with the GX501 right after having a battery replaced: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104841-Zephyrus-(GX501)-Battery-Swell

Reddit user on /r/pcmasterrace suffers from a swollen battery with the GX501: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/97nxx7/rip_battery_swollen_like_a_loaf_of_unbaked_bread/

Not to mention the amount of users in this thread and this board who have had the exact same issue.

What's up ASUS, Can we get a response?

Injustice
10-13-2018, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're also going through this struggle, VixusFoxy. How's your machine faring, currently? Have you got any other options or plans lined up for the meantime?

DJRiful
10-14-2018, 12:49 AM
ASUS just released this software via Microsoft Store for BIOS 309 that I have just updated to BUT my battery is already done and swollen.

https://i.imgur.com/qYcQmVr.png

https://i.imgur.com/JsOvqk7.png

Injustice
10-14-2018, 02:45 PM
I feel like this is just a soft bandage fix for a VERY big hardware issue that, at the price point, shouldn't have ever been a problem to begin with. It doesn't change the fact that we were sold lemons, nor that our batteries/machines have already failed. I'm still absolutely livid over the entire thing.

VixusFoxy
10-15-2018, 11:04 PM
I feel like this is just a soft bandage fix for a VERY big hardware issue that, at the price point, shouldn't have ever been a problem to begin with. It doesn't change the fact that we were sold lemons, nor that our batteries/machines have already failed. I'm still absolutely livid over the entire thing.

Failed multiple times, even.

MasterC@ROG
10-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Failed multiple times, even.

In our previous conversation you mentioned that you went through Alternate for an RMA to replace the first battery, did you get an RMA number?
Please check your inbox, we are still waiting for your response.

VixusFoxy
10-27-2018, 06:54 PM
In our previous conversation you mentioned that you went through Alternate for an RMA to replace the first battery, did you get an RMA number?
Please check your inbox, we are still waiting for your response.

I have PMed you the details.

It's been three weeks as of writing, and I haven't heard back from Alternate about this case.
I

Reldan
11-17-2018, 10:00 AM
My laptop battery is also swelling. Purchased July of 2017, it may have been this way for a while but reading this post I checked the spot everybody is talking about and yeah, it's definitely bulging upwards.

Is Asus just waiting until these things start burning people's houses down? That didn't go so well for Samsung.

Between this and the incorrectly advertised "HDMI 2.0" this has been an unfortunate experience dealing with a brand I used to respect. It's not that I take issue that sometimes things go wrong or something didn't get caught during QC, it's the lack of any acknowledgement or solutions for issues that appear to affect every customer. Even Nvidia admitted there are issues with the RTX2080Ti and they're rapidly RMAing any customers who are having problems. I have a friend who had saved up $3k to buy a MacBook Pro but was thinking of getting a gaming laptop instead, and despite the Zephyrus basically meeting everything he could want in terms of size, weight, and power, I couildn't recommend it because I have no faith in the company behind it.

I'd be happy if somebody could show me that Asus stands behind their products.

Reldan
11-17-2018, 10:21 AM
Is there somebody I can actually talk to get an estimate for the repair on this? I'll need that to put in an Extended Warranty claim with my cc company, and need to confirm they'll cover it before I start the process. Also I no longer have the original 512GB ssd - it had some problems so I replaced it with a 1TB drive instead. The RMA instructions say that there's a chance you won't get the machine you sent in back, which makes me think I should remove my SSD before sending it in to not risk losing it, but there's no mention of what to actually do in a situation like this.

xeromist
11-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Regarding your SSD, I would remove it I guess. Never send anything in you cannot afford to lose. That said, they might give you a hard time if they really do plan to just swap the machine out and yours is incomplete. I don't know there's anything you can really do though since you no longer have it. I guess you could buy a small used SSD and throw it in there so it can load Windows but that sounds like a bit of a hassle for the off chance they even bother to check. They are replacing a battery so the rest really shouldn't matter.

MasterC@ROG
11-19-2018, 04:04 AM
Is there somebody I can actually talk to get an estimate for the repair on this? I'll need that to put in an Extended Warranty claim with my cc company, and need to confirm they'll cover it before I start the process. Also I no longer have the original 512GB ssd - it had some problems so I replaced it with a 1TB drive instead. The RMA instructions say that there's a chance you won't get the machine you sent in back, which makes me think I should remove my SSD before sending it in to not risk losing it, but there's no mention of what to actually do in a situation like this.

Sorry for the inconvenience, please send your laptop in to an ASUS Service Center in your region. They will be in a position to let you know the cost, if any. You'll have to send the laptop in with the same configuration as when it was purchased, so yes, it's necessary to put the original SSD back I'm afraid.

Reldan
11-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Sorry for the inconvenience, please send your laptop in to an ASUS Service Center in your region. They will be in a position to let you know the cost, if any. You'll have to send the laptop in with the same configuration as when it was purchased, so yes, it's necessary to put the original SSD back I'm afraid.
I do not have it any longer and it wouldn't boot off of it even if I did. It's a user-serviceable part so I upgraded to a 1TB drive since the machine was past the warranty period anyways, and it wasn't worth trying to get it replaced (nor possible as I don't think you can buy the OEM Samsung drive you guys use, it's not one of their consumer models) when it cost less to get a larger, faster drive. You don't leave users much choice with a machine that has a single M.2 slot.

You shouldn't need it to have an SSD in the machine to replace the battery with one that isn't a safety hazard, or your service center could plug any M.2 in temporarily to verify the machine boots. Given that this is out of warranty, if you couldn't fix this particular machine for some reason you're not going to give me a free replacement machine anyways.

Reldan
12-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Follow-up on my battery issue - I sent my laptop in to the service center a couple weeks ago. I was expecting to hear back after the diagnostic was done with some sort of price for the repair, but I checked the status today and it's marked as "repair completed" and is supposed to arrive back here this Friday (12/14).

Maybe they are repairing these battery issues now for free, even out of warranty? I'm assuming a repair was done, as I was never contacted either way. I'll update again once I get the laptop back later this week and can check and see if it's fixed.

DJRiful
01-30-2019, 03:09 AM
Hey guys, just some update. I left my swollen battery out my laptop for more than half a year and I didn't bother to find and replace it until now. I realize we have a ASUS HQ here and end up buying one for $79 CAD brand new battery. I do notice the battery pack color and the layout of the battery is different that my original one. I am curious if did switch the manufacturer or 2nd gen correction to prevent issues of swollen.

For all ASUS laptop, highly recommend to download ASUS Battery Health Charging on Microsoft Store. It is official software and it works wonderful. I have set mine to 60% stop charging to prolong the life of the battery since my laptop sit on my desk for 24/7. The only time I move it when I travel for vacations.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NKCLN5X4RR9