View Full Version : system unstable at 'stock'

12-25-2017, 04:40 AM
I just spent the better part of 3 weeks trying to diagnose why my new system was unstable (random reboots and crashes during games). I thought it was hardware related and spent weeks troubleshooting.

Just as I was about to begin RMA'ing stuff something inspired me to OC the system and crank up the voltage. I have had no issues since and have run days worth of realbench, prime95, and hci memtest.

I just thought everyone should know this, because the 'default' settings on the board did not work for me. I know this is an enthusiast board, but I have built 5-6 PCs over the years, with similar grade mobos, and this is the first time I haven't had a stable system at stock board settings.

Hopefully this helps someone else out there having this problem.

My settings are are x47 ratio, all cores synced, XMP enabled, 1.25V CPU voltage (adaptive), load lines at .01. I may try to tweak it more in the coming weeks but for now I am just happy to have it stable now for the last 2 days.

hopefully I don't jinx myself by posting this :p

12-25-2017, 11:23 AM

You might've encountered the same problems I had.

This is the thread I started at the time: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97454-ROG-STRIX-Z370-F-GAMING-Unstable-8600k

The key point being, and I quote:
I found that my mobo, for some reason, sets these 4 voltages I posted on that picture, way too high, completely unnecessary and it actually brought me instability. They are now at VCCIO 1.0v, System Agent 1.05V, PHC Core voltage and standby voltage 1.0V and it has been working perfectly.

02-25-2018, 01:15 AM
Hey trey, where can I find the settings you mentioned? I cant find anything to set the voltage and so on, also not the "load lines" part and x47

Silent Scone@ROG
02-25-2018, 07:18 AM
XMP is not stock, at all. Return to optimised defaults, changing nothing in AI Tweaker and retest.

02-25-2018, 10:24 PM
Hello Silent,

I know that XMP is an overclock. BUT the system was running at default in the beginning, for around one month. I didn't change anything, it started crashing randomly. For no reason. Read the first posts please, it's further explained there. Afterwards I tested a couple of things. For example XMP, which I turned off again, because it didn't help at all. Nothing helped so far. Any ideas?

By the way: I just had a Bluescreen, with the debug code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Any ideas at that one? I guess it's driver related, but I have no idea how to find the faulty driver there.

EDIT: Damn, totally mixed up the posts. I was talking about that one https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100012-System-Randomly-Powers-off

02-25-2018, 11:39 PM
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is caused 90% of the time by driver faults - most often a hardware resource conflict in the Intel RST drivers, sometimes network drivers, rarely USB or other drivers. The other 10% of the time it's caused by unstable overclocks or misconfigured XMP settings. And the other 100% of the time it's caused by Windows.

Try reinstalling the Intel chipset drivers, along with any Intel LAN and whatever else they provide, although you can skip Intel iGPU and HD Audio drivers if you don't use those hardware components.

I'd also look at recent Windows Updates, especially anything which has anything to do with Microsoft implementing Intel microcode fixes. Couldn't tell you which these might be, I don't run WinOS outside a box anymore, lol.

02-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Hey Korth,

Updated the drivers as the random shutdowns started occuring, the only driver I found which was updated yesterday was the Realtek HD Audio one, also updated that one, even so I am very rarely using it. Let's see

02-26-2018, 01:45 AM
Driver IRQL BSODs can also be caused by memory instability.