PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a G74SX-DH73-3D

rozwell911
01-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Hello all,

I just ordered a G74SX-DH73-3D and am looking forward to getting it next week. I have ready many of the threads regarding the some of the updates i should do as well as some of the issue i should watch out for.

This will be my permanent desktop replacement since i am on the go most of the time and it made more sense to carry it with me in stead of getting another desktop.

This is also my gaming rig now as well, and i jsut want to get some advice ahead of time:

I plan on removing some of the ASUS bloatware on the machine, but wanted to know if i should for sure get Throttle Stop for gaming ( I understand that the processor sometimes throttles down during some games)? And other than updating drivers does anyone recomend anything else i should do to get the most of of gaming for this machine?

Thanks in Advance

P.S. I also plan on keeping an eye out for the 3D on/off button issue, and consider ugrading to BIOS 203, but if i can live with it i may not since i am not to good and doing upgrades like that.

BrodyBoy
01-21-2012, 01:14 AM
And other than updating drivers does anyone recomend anything else i should do to get the most of of gaming for this machine?

Thanks in Advance
Cleaning up Asus bloatware and updating drivers...those are the keys to optimizing the OEM installation.

I think you're on the right track. :)

chrsplmr
01-21-2012, 01:31 AM
ROZ congrats on the upcoming delivery...and Welcome to ROG..

I can tell you ... any questions... or just to double check your tweak..
the ROGr'z here that Love their G's have done extensive, and i mean
extensive thought and review to these Monsters....ie...our friend BrodyBoy
above...and I am sure you will quickly meet the others....

the very best of luck... may the luckyROGfairy be with you...hahahaa...
im really hope'n you never know what that means.................c.

PILGRIM
01-21-2012, 02:11 AM
...P.S. I also plan on keeping an eye out for the 3D on/off button issue, and consider ugrading to BIOS 203, but if i can live with it i may not since i am not to good and doing upgrades like that.

Hi, rozwell911.

Perchance you'll find the 3D toggle button an issue, you may want to try how I found solution with it
on this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8908-ROG-Button-3D-Functionality

rozwell911
01-21-2012, 02:14 AM
ROZ congrats on the upcoming delivery...and Welcome to ROG..

I can tell you ... any questions... or just to double check your tweak..
the ROGr'z here that Love their G's have done extensive, and i mean
extensive thought and review to these Monsters....ie...our friend BrodyBoy
above...and I am sure you will quickly meet the others....

the very best of luck... may the luckyROGfairy be with you...hahahaa...
im really hope'n you never know what that means.................c.

Thank you for the welcome!

I have been floating around the forums for a few days now, and I did notice BrodyBoy's heavy involvement and wealth of knowledge in each of his posts. I look forward to learning and helping on these forums. Seems like there is a really good following here and seems it really active, which I am happy about.

I can't wait to get my laptop, it's also my very first one. Iv been a desktop guy for years so this is a new experience for me.

Just one more question, I Plan on using Throttle Stop strictly to counter the processed throttling , is it safe on these pcs for daily use? Iv never used this type of software before.

fostert
01-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

I have been floating around the forums for a few days now, and I did notice BrodyBoy's heavy involvement and wealth of knowledge in each of his posts. I look forward to learning and helping on these forums. Seems like there is a really good following here and seems it really active, which I am happy about.

I can't wait to get my laptop, it's also my very first one. Iv been a desktop guy for years so this is a new experience for me.

Just one more question, I Plan on using Throttle Stop strictly to counter the processed throttling , is it safe on these pcs for daily use? Iv never used this type of software before.

You've chose well for a DTR notebook. I recently went from desktop to this notebook and will never look back. I have all the power of my desktop now (and even twice as much RAM in my G74 than my desktop can take) and the freedom and mobility is fantastic. I can move from lab to office to car to bar with my data now. Love it!

As for TS, I have read on these forums that it is safe for daily use, yes. Its not overclocking or over-volting your processor, so there is no extra stress being put on it. In fact you can't overclock or over-volt with the G74...mores the pity.

rozwell911
01-21-2012, 03:33 AM
You've chose well for a DTR notebook. I recently went from desktop to this notebook and will never look back. I have all the power of my desktop now (and even twice as much RAM in my G74 than my desktop can take) and the freedom and mobility is fantastic. I can move from lab to office to car to bar with my data now. Love it!

As for TS, I have read on these forums that it is safe for daily use, yes. Its not overclocking or over-volting your processor, so there is no extra stress being put on it. In fact you can't overclock or over-volt with the G74...mores the pity.

You have put my mind at a bit more ease... Iv been nervous switching from a desktop to laptop, but even with all the minor problems people have with the asus systems, everyone seem genuine in their respect and like of these laptops. That to me says a lot about the respect people have for these systems. And it's really good t know that there is a very solid communit group willing to help each other.

I am now very confident I made the right choice.

rozwell911
01-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Hi, rozwell911.

Perchance you'll find the 3D toggle button an issue, you may want to try how I found solution with it
on this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8908-ROG-Button-3D-Functionality

I read that earlier today, it has been in the back of my mind for the last few hours. Is there a particular driver uninstaller you would recommend to remove the ATK drivers and nvidia drivers?

PILGRIM
01-21-2012, 06:59 AM
I read that earlier today, it has been in the back of my mind for the last few hours. Is there a particular driver uninstaller you would recommend to remove the ATK drivers and nvidia drivers?

I use the IObit uninstaller. It has the "Powerful Scan" in the Advanced Mode that will remove remnant files.
It can even "forced uninstall" any pesky/un-needed programs in the Program Menu.
The IObit uninstaller is actually a component of the all-in-one tool, Advanced SystemCare 5.
So I would recommend using this tool.

You might want to use CCleaner, too.

It seems like an overkill, but I also use Phyxion Driver Sweeper 3.1.0 in safe mode.
(I've learned my lesson the hard way, so I'm not leaving anything to chance anymore
with regards to driver/file remnants.:))

Welcome to the Forum..

P.S. If/When you do a Windows clean install, I recommend installing the ATK Package first
before the nVidia driver. This to avoid the ROG button "issue" that happened to me.

chrsplmr
01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
....like i keep saying..... i love this bar.c.

rozwell911
01-24-2012, 07:14 AM
... So I just picked up my laptop from bestbuy today.... Strangely enough, it came with the ROG mouse and bag...... I thought best but could not get these? Not that I'm complaining, but it made it all the better spending that money .