PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some Overclock settings 8700K

kahless
12-31-2017, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently built an 8700K, Maximus Hero system.

The rest of the system has 32Gb Trident Z RGB 8x4 3200mhz 16-18-18-38
Corsair H115i Pro rgb, Corsair Carbide Air 540.

I have really only played with AI Suite auto tune but would like to dial in a better overclock but I am not sure which settings to try out. Right now it runs on auto everything with 5ghz, 3 AVX offset. Max temps I have seen with Aida64 stress test is 72C. Voltages run about 1.38v with an occasional spike at 1.4v.

The only other load I have hit the system with is just gaming. 3 hour long sessions of Assassins Creed Origins. The system is only used for gaming. I have seen some guides and other settings people have used but most seem to supply a constant voltage to the cpu. Isn't adaptive the better option? So that it can ramp down?

I have ran my memory at 3400mhz with the same timings and seems OK. In order to get 3400mhz stable I set the ram voltage to 1.375 instead of 1.35. VCCIO is on auto, and too high I would suspect, 1.328v and System agent voltage 1.264.

Just looking to maintange 5ghz with better control of voltage and push my ram to its max potential.

Thanks!

MrAgapiGC
12-31-2017, 09:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU

be sure that all drivers and bios are up to date.

kahless
12-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I had saw the der8auer video but one concern I had with his settings he doesn't use an adaptive voltage. So it mostly just stays at 1.35 24/7 and the cpu is at constant 5ghz. Is there possibly a better way that will have the cpu speed and voltage scale as usage goes up and down? For system longevity

He also leaves VCCIO and System agent voltage on auto. I have mine on auto and I suspect they were way to high...

kahless
12-31-2017, 10:11 PM
I tried the Der8auer settings. Seem to work OK. Voltage is much more steady. Didn't see it go over 1.344 on vcore ever. 30 min of Aida64 stress test it never went over 72c.

One thing I don't understand is when he had the settings loaded his VCCIO and system agent voltage were much lower then mine and his were on auto as well. Matching his settings gives me the same 1.328 and 1.264.

Menthol
01-01-2018, 12:54 AM
What settings are you using for your Memory, 3200 XMP? at 3200mhz I would try 1.1 to 1.2 for both SA and IO, this can take a little time to test stability and every CPU is different

kahless
01-01-2018, 01:05 AM
I have manually entered in 3400 16 18 38 1.36v. Secondary timings are auto.

Previously I had 3600 with same timings but I got a bsod at the desktop with that. So I went back to 3400.

MikelMolto
01-01-2018, 01:12 PM
I run with my DDR3200 Ram clocked to 3600 VCCIO 0,9750V and system agent voltage 1.0750V tested and now 2 weeks without any Problem.

Somebody told me, best is to have between this 2 Voltages always a 0,100V distance but I don't know, if this is true.

The 8auer in his Video use LLC6, what I don't like! I would say LLC 5 is better and with my CPU I use LLC4. First I used Manual VCore and now I am testing Offset.

kahless
01-01-2018, 02:51 PM
What timings on your ram?

JustinThyme
01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
I run with my DDR3200 Ram clocked to 3600 VCCIO 0,9750V and system agent voltage 1.0750V tested and now 2 weeks without any Problem.

Somebody told me, best is to have between this 2 Voltages always a 0,100V distance but I don't know, if this is true.

The 8auer in his Video use LLC6, what I don't like! I would say LLC 5 is better and with my CPU I use LLC4. First I used Manual VCore and now I am testing Offset.

Der8aur pushes for best OC while keeping is as simple as possible for the novice. The tools are there to get it. Whats wrong with LLC 6? You are not going to find out what your chip can do with an extremly conservative approach. The chip isnt going to let you cook it, it will shut down on thermal ovld first. As for longevity? Ive been at this for some time and have yet to see any chip with a heavy OC that didnt make the long haul of at least 5 years, Im upgrading most of the time well before that and my handmedowns get returned to stock and contine to run until they are archaic. Im more than certain Der8aur not only knows what he is doing but is very good at it. If he puts out advice, I listen...same with elmor or any of that crew.

That being said I always start with an LLC of 6 and run the clock and Vcore as high as I dare to go as well as setting power to max. Heat removal is the limiting factor for both OC and longetivity. Once Ive seen what a particular chip will get at LLC 6 I will try and drop it back a click and repeat bench tests. Lather, rinse, repeat until I get a good balance of max clocks with lowest voltages. Then when Im done with the CPU I'll drop the multi back one and then go for Uncore getting it as high as I can using the same method. Save ram for last. This is my approach regardless of the platform and has yeilded very good results. That and the luck of the silicon lottery that often can be bought with a binned chip. Is this the best way to go? Maybe....but its methodical which is the best approach no matter how you go about it. One thing at a time. When you jump in jacking everything at once you dont know the limiations of anything and end up chasing your tail. You may hold back the best CPU OC by jacking the ram too high out of the gate.

Good luck!

kahless
01-01-2018, 04:51 PM
I'm using LLC 6 like in the video I'm not seeing any huge voltage swings.

By running vccio and system agent voltage 1.1 to 1.2 or even lower does that generally stabilize higher ram clocks then having those voltages higher? Since having those on auto mine run higher but most suggest lower.

MikelMolto
01-01-2018, 04:53 PM
What timings on your ram?As I didn't get Trident Z Ram here in Brasil I bought Corsair Dominator Platinum 2 x 8GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-36.
This is Running now with 1.36V and DDR4-3600, CL16-18-18-36 stabled also in MemTest , Linx and daily use.

@JustinThyme
As I am a German (living in Brazil) I chat sometimes with the 8auer in German Forums. I know he is very good in what he do!
We had many discussions in German Forums about his advice to use LLC6. Some other people who are also very good tested it.
The result with Asus Boards was, that the best results in order to reach a stable 24/7 OC is to use LLC4.
According to Intel You must have a VDroop under Load to protect the CPU from VCore overshoot during load changes. This VCore peaks are very short and only can be seen with an oscilloscope.

So why the 8auer advice to set LLC6?
As You already wrote, he gave in his Video an example that should (must) work for people who have not so much OC experience.
Yes in the first stages with a new CPU it is valid to use LLC6 to understand Your CPU and to find out what Voltages You Chip need.
This doesn't mean, that later there is no place to optimize Your settings and make it running better.

Let me finally say, that I have no problem, if People are happy with LLC6 and run this 24/7 for the next years. In my case I used 2 weeks LLC5 and since 1 week I am happy with LLC4, what will be my final setting.

kahless
01-01-2018, 05:27 PM
As I didn't get Trident Z Ram here in Brasil I bought Corsair Dominator Platinum 2 x 8GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-36.
This is Running now with 1.36V and DDR4-3600, CL16-18-18-36 stabled also in MemTest , Linx and daily use.

@JustinThyme
As I am a German (living in Brazil) I chat sometimes with the 8auer in German Forums. I know he is very good in what he do!
We had many discussions in German Forums about his advice to use LLC6. Some other people who are also very good tested it.
The result with Asus Boards was, that the best results in order to reach a stable 24/7 OC is to use LLC4.
According to Intel You must have a VDroop under Load to protect the CPU from VCore overshoot during load changes. This VCore peaks are very short and only can be seen with an oscilloscope.

As You already wrote, he gave in his Video an example that should (must) work for people who have not so much OC experience.
Yes in the first stages with a new CPU it is valid to use LLC6 to understand Your CPU and to find out what Voltages You Chip need.
This doesn't mean, that later there is no place to optimize Your settings and make it running better.

Let me finally say, that I have no problem, if People are happy with LLC6 and run this 24/7 for the next years. In my case I used 2 weeks LLC5 and since 1 week I am happy with LLC4, what will be my final setting.

Thanks for the advice and response!

Question about LLC, a lower LLC allows more voltage swing where as a high LLC allows less voltage swing? Or do I have that backwards?

Raja@ASUS
01-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the advice and response!

Question about LLC, a lower LLC allows more voltage swing where as a high LLC allows less voltage swing? Or do I have that backwards?

A lower LLC allows the voltage to droop in order to prevent excessive overshoot. Each circuit has an optimal level of droop, which allows overeshoot to be contained within a reasonable threshold. That's why some droop is prefered. Overshoot can be harmful, though. When "dialled out", short-duration voltage excursions can be hundreds of millivolts past the user set VID. Unfortunately, you need an oscilloscope to see it, so we end up with a lot of misconceptions about droop/no vdroop because people rely on software based monitoring.

Der8auer is a friend of mine. He is a smart guy, with a good foundation in mechanical engineering and thermodynamics. However, like me, he is but a hobbyist in electronics, so we're not 100% in all the science and mathematics behind these things. In other words, not everything we say about the electrical side of overclocking is gospel. ;)

kahless
01-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

My CPU has been stable with his 5ghz settings. Trying to stabilize a ram overclock now. So far, 3400mhz, 1.36v, 1.2v vccio/system agent voltage. 16 18 38 2t. Any recommendation on what to try next?

flacer
01-02-2018, 04:07 PM
What settings are you using for your Memory, 3200 XMP? at 3200mhz I would try 1.1 to 1.2 for both SA and IO, this can take a little time to test stability and every CPU is different

I'm using VCCSA & VCCIO @ 1,200 and DRAM @ 1,3530 to get stability with 3.200Mhz
But my cpu is 4.7Ghz sync all core Vcore 1,1 + VDrop 0,020 and LLC2 ...

I'm using handbrake x265 10Bit enconding for test (72h test) medium temp 58 (inside core)

In my test 4.8Ghz Vcore 1,240 Vdrop 0,020 and LLC3 raise the medium temp to 64 (inside core)

... but in 10h test is only 12 minutes faster, so I decide to choose lowest temp.