PDA

View Full Version : New build - Maximus X Formula - 1080 ti Sea Hawk EK shuts off monitor / random freeze

Brodysan
01-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Seemingly simple problem, but after installing drivers on my 1080 ti Sea Hawk EK, the monitor goes into sleep mode prior to the drivers completing install (I assume). *Upon restarting the PC, I get to the windows load screen & the monitor goes into sleep mode again.

I’ve troubleshooted the monster intently (with the help of NVidia):

*https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1032993/geforce-drivers/new-build-w-1080-ti-sea-hawk-ek-x-black-screen-amp-freezes/

Ultimately decided that it needs to be RMA’d (which is approved), but thought I’d throw it out here to see if there were any other thoughts.

My gut tells me that it could be a problem with both having an onboard iGPU & it clashing with the GPU after drivers are installed. *I fear that simply replacing the GPU with the same card could produce the same results... *the only thing that leads me to believe it could be the GPU itself is that upon several restarts & reinstalls - it sometimes loads to windows but freezes entirely (screen freezes/mouse won’t move/hard shut-off).

*** same exact problem, but no resolution on this thread: *
*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97494-Screen-goes-black-after-graphics-card-driver-install&highlight=hawk

Raja@ASUS
01-04-2018, 10:08 AM
1) I assume you're running the memory at DDR4-2133 to debug this?

2) Outside that, it should not be related in any way to the iGPU. Do you have a second monitor connected to the iGPU when you're running the Seahawk?

3) Which display interface are you using to connect the card to the monitor - HDMI or DP? I'd try both and see if anything changes.

Brodysan
01-04-2018, 04:23 PM
1 - no, I am running the ram at factory - Iíve made no adjustments to the ram one way or another. *Should I tone it down to 2133? *

2 - no

3 - I am currently using hdmi and have tried dvi. *Both react the same.

In other news, I was able to almost get it to work by doing the following:
-Reset cmos / reinstall windows 10 pro (without gpu connected)
-Installed all windows updates
-downloaded v387 nvidia driver
-rebooted w/ installed gpu & installed driver only with physx
-ran benchmark on heaven dx11 & was getting 250-300 FPS.
-shut down computer...this morning I turn it on and go straight to the heaven benchmark program & itís freezing, forcing me to do hard resets. *But it felt good for a whole 10 seconds last night! *So close!*

Brodysan
01-05-2018, 01:21 AM
1 - no, I am running the ram at factory - Iíve made no adjustments to the ram one way or another. *Should I tone it down to 2133?

It looks like the BIOS automatically sets it to run at 2133.

Anyways - I've gotten nowhere - I'm slapping it in a box & sending it back to my pals at Newegg.