PDA

View Full Version : Charge Wireless Mouse with System Off? Maximus X Code

Hitman84
01-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Recently updated the core components of my system.
I was using a Maximus XI Formula 4770K and moved to a Maximus X Code with an 8700k
With the old system My mouse, Razer Naga Chroma Epic charged while the system was off no problem but seem to be having a problem doing this with the Code, is there something I'm missing to make it happen?

Deepcuts
01-04-2018, 10:11 PM
If i recall correctly, you need to enable it under BIOS.
I do not have your model to tell you exactly where.

Hitman84
01-05-2018, 02:09 AM
If i recall correctly, you need to enable it under BIOS.
I do not have your model to tell you exactly where.

Never had to do that with the Formula VI but had that thought as well. Can't find any options though.

Deepcuts
01-05-2018, 02:44 AM
Indeed. Just checked now with my phone and my X HERO
The phone charges via all USB ports while the machine is shutdown. Even front panel ones.
Earlier I could not be sure because I never charged anything via the mainboard USB.
Found no BIOS option.
Maybe:
try a different USB cable?
unplug other USB devices 1st?
do a CMOS clear?

Menthol
01-05-2018, 03:33 AM
I believe there is a bios option for the USB type C port.
Auto, automatically detects Type C devices and provides suitable power, Enables always provides power

Hitman84
01-05-2018, 03:56 AM
Indeed. Just checked now with my phone and my X HERO
The phone charges via all USB ports while the machine is shutdown. Even front panel ones.
Earlier I could not be sure because I never charged anything via the mainboard USB.
Found no BIOS option.
Maybe:
try a different USB cable?
unplug other USB devices 1st?
do a CMOS clear?

Can't try another cable because it connects to a dock with a weird indent to fit in.

The weird thing I've noticed is, it seems to work if I unplug said wire then replug after its off.
I tried with my phone on both front and rear panels. If the phone is plugged in while the system is on and the system is then shut down it stops charging. Once the system is shut down however If I unplug the phone(and mouse for that matter) and plug it back in, it then charges.
Something with the shutdown is stopping the power flow but if you unplug then replug the wires the power flow resumes.

This for sure happens on both the 802 bios and the 1003 posted a couple days ago.

I believe there is a bios option for the USB type C port.
Auto, automatically detects Type C devices and provides suitable power, Enables always provides power

Don't see this option, any idea where it is?

Menthol
01-05-2018, 04:58 AM
Onboard Devices Configuration, USB Type C Power Switch

Page 3-19 of the manual

Hope this helps you

Hitman84
01-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Onboard Devices Configuration, USB Type C Power Switch

Page 3-19 of the manual

Hope this helps you

yeah not there with the code

Menthol
01-05-2018, 06:55 AM
Oh my bad, just an uneducated guess but since on the Hero auto mode detects USB devices automatically the code probably just doesn't have the option to always provide power, seems like an unneeded function anyway

Hitman84
01-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Oh my bad, just an uneducated guess but since on the Hero auto mode detects USB devices automatically the code probably just doesn't have the option to always provide power, seems like an unneeded function anyway

Very needed when many wireless mice connect through USB and need a way to charger while the system is off.
Makes less sense that it works if I plug a device in after the system is off. I think it's a bios error or bug.
Would be nice to get an Asus response on this.

Deepcuts
01-05-2018, 07:35 PM
There might be a bug with the USB power.
Sometimes, not always, after I switch on my PSU and boot up the system, my Razer DeathStalker Chroma key lights do not turn on.
I have to unplug the keyboard and plug it back for the lights to work.
If i just shutdown the system without turning the PSU off from the dedicated power button, I never have any issues.
If you wonder: I turn off my PSU only when I open the case, not at every shutdown :)
On my old VI HERO I never experienced this behavior.

Hitman84
01-05-2018, 08:06 PM
There might be a bug with the USB power.
Sometimes, not always, after I switch on my PSU and boot up the system, my Razer DeathStalker Chroma key lights do not turn on.
I have to unplug the keyboard and plug it back for the lights to work.
If i just shutdown the system without turning the PSU off from the dedicated power button, I never have any issues.
If you wonder: I turn off my PSU only when I open the case, not at every shutdown :)
On my old VI HERO I never experienced this behavior.

Im in agreement with usb power bug.
It's really odd that if the mouse or phone is plugged in while the system is on, charging fine and I turn it off charging stops. But while off if I unplug then replug in the devices the charging resumes.