PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD rom malfunction

Allsauce
01-21-2012, 05:32 AM
harrow thar ('-')/

just before Christmas i had to send in my 1 year old (still within the warranty) G73JW at ASUS Nordic Call Center in Norway, because it had a defect screen, but when i got it back after 1.month, the screen was fixed,
and the connectivity usb, hdmi vga etc ports was swaped out with new ones, and i was happy for a moment.

Until that i discovered that my DVD/CD rom/drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT34N), didn't work anymore, the driver is working
"normally" it says in the properties tab, and i can see the icon at "My Computer".
But it will not read any discs i put inside, and that goes for music, programs and games alike on both formats
(cd and dvd's... of course) it just pop the tray back out when i click on the icon,
i found a thread that explained that "you" could uninstall the device and go on regedit on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 / 002 and CurrentControlSet ->
{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} and delete UpperFilters and
LowerFilters, reboot and it would sort it self out.
I didnt find any of those filters in my regedit section although i prompted as ADMIN, so i skiped the solution, wouldn't mess around and screw over any reg-keys.

So at the moment, i'v been trying to find a updated driver / firmware, but with no luck so far.
And if i cant solve this software /hardware issue, i will have to send it back again....

So, what to do?

(after i posted this, i checked back in the reg-edit, and the UpperFilters, suddenly was there, it wasn't before, and to refer back to the solution i mentioned, is it safe?)

*haaaaaaalp* :(

dstrakele
01-22-2012, 02:23 AM
I think the registry edit is worth a try. You could export a copy of the registry, make a backup of the Windows System Image or create a Windows System Restore Point to allow you to recover if you made a mistake editing the registry.

Allsauce
01-22-2012, 03:46 AM
I think the registry edit is worth a try. You could export a copy of the registry, make a backup of the Windows System Image or create a Windows System Restore Point to allow you to recover if you made a mistake editing the registry.

well i tried the registry solution, but it didn't work, after i rebooted and the dvd/cd rom installed itself back up, i checked back in the registry, and everything was in order. But that thing you say, sys-image, wouldn't i be needing a ****load of
discs to do that?
and yes, one other thing... the asus, at least my model, have a partition-x, a hidden partition, so i can reset/wipe
absolutely everything back to fabrication standard, like when i got it as new,
when everything worked perfectly. I did that fist thing when i got it back,
when i discovered that somethings wasn't right. I could try do that agin, but i kind of doubt it will work,
since i just did that.... although, i could try again

BrodyBoy
01-22-2012, 03:54 AM
The other thing Drew suggested was a System Restore, which just reverts all your settings back to a previous restore point. It's certainly worth a try.

Allsauce
01-22-2012, 04:10 AM
indeed,i will try that as well. But im also starting to think that the drive it self is damaged although it looks fine.
And if im not mistaken, the DVD/CD rom malfunctioning, was a fact even before i did a system restore / reset
(F9 on boot-up, that partition x thingy), and it still is. Thanks for inputs, i'l go with what I've got and i will also give
them another call.

OF-TOPIC: If it becomes any worse and the service center cant fix it, i can as a last resolution, i can contact the "insurance" we have at the university, they cover up to 90% of any laptop, and i gotta pay up with 10% my self.
But i don't really need or want to do that, cus i wanna make this one work again, and the specs is just as fine. :-)
and im thinking of getting a ram and ssd upgrade next week...speaking of, what is the general opinion of "Crucial"?

dstrakele
01-22-2012, 04:29 AM
If you did uninstall the DVD drive, perform the registry edit, and reboot the system, I think you've exhausted the possible software fixes for ths issue. It's looking more like a hardware failure where the drive must be replaced.

BrodyBoy
01-22-2012, 04:30 AM
OF-TOPIC: If it becomes any worse and the service center cant fix it, i can as a last resolution, i can contact the "insurance" we have at the university, they cover up to 90% of any laptop, and i gotta pay up with 10% my self.
But i don't really need or want to do that, cus i wanna make this one work again, and the specs is just as fine. :-)
and im thinking of getting a ram and ssd upgrade next week...speaking of, what is the general opinion of "Crucial"?
If the ODD is defective, replacing it would probably be a lot cheaper than paying 10% of the cost of a new computer. ODDs are pretty much commodities these days....very cheap and standardized, very easy to replace.

I've used Crucial SSD and RAM products, and they seem to be excellent quality. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

dstrakele
01-22-2012, 04:34 AM
One last shot at a software fix: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Allsauce
01-22-2012, 04:48 AM
If the ODD is defective, replacing it would probably be a lot cheaper than paying 10% of the cost of a new computer. ODDs are pretty much commodities these days....very cheap and standardized, very easy to replace.

I've used Crucial SSD and RAM products, and they seem to be excellent quality. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

10% is like 200-500$, i can live with that, but thanks, good to know, i haven't heard so much about crucial...

Allsauce
01-22-2012, 04:51 AM
If you did uninstall the DVD drive, perform the registry edit, and reboot the system, I think you've exhausted the possible software fixes for ths issue. It's looking more like a hardware failure where the drive must be replaced.

i think you are right sir...the diagnostic didn't solve it.

but thanks everyone, for the response and all...time to hit the bed...550 AM yawn