PDA

View Full Version : Maximus X will not detect cpu and random crashes

Respekonit
01-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Recently upgraded my CPU and mobo to Maximus x + 8700k and am having problems getting system to be completely stable. Unit crashes just after boot sometimes and also double boots, also my GPU is not being detected by mobo, I have tried different pcie slots, different power cable, still not showing. Using all stock bios settings will not allow me to boot at all, upping CPU voltages will let me boot but still unstable, I have tried using XMP profile for memory and manually setting. I have tested memory using memtest86 for 20hrs, 9 passes with no faults. Have reseated cpu and checked for bent pins, all okay. Am unsure what to do next, any help is greatly appreciated. Not very experienced at OCing so bare with me hehe

Pc specs:
Maximus x hero
Corsair 2x8gb
Gigabyte G1 1070
Corsair hx650
Evo212 cooler
2x SSD, 3x HDD, 1x diskdrive

Mobo, cpu and memory were upgraded together, pc used to work fine with 3570k build.*
Fyi my mobo came in an unsealed box with no anti static bag, but though it was normal*

Raja@ASUS
01-13-2018, 08:01 AM
A few things:

1) Include the part number of the memory kit.

2) If the system isn't POSTing at complete stock settings, how are you getting into UEFI? It would need to POST at stock settings for you to be able to use the system. The DOS version of Memtest isn't very good for determining memory stability. At most, it can evaluate whether a module is faulty, but it is not good for evaluating stability.

3) Your post is a little unclear on whether you tried without making changes to memory settings, because both of the mentioned scenarios involve adjustments: " I have tried using XMP profile for memory and manually settings". Clear CMOS, make no changes to memory settings and try that, please.

4) If you have the board mounted in a case, check it is not being warped or shorted in any way. Ensure the cooler is making even contact with the CPU, too. And, when you try the graphics card, ensure it is seated correctly in the PCIe slot. Also ensure power connections are secure (at both sides if you have a modular PSU). You might want to set the system up on an open test bed. Use a non-conductive surface for that.

5) If points 3 & 4 do not help, update to the latest UEFI build by using USB BIOS flashback (details are in the motherboard manual and there are videos on YouTube that detail how to do it).

emsir
01-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Recently upgraded my CPU and mobo to Maximus x + 8700k and am having problems getting system to be completely stable. Unit crashes just after boot sometimes and also double boots, also my GPU is not being detected by mobo, I have tried different pcie slots, different power cable, still not showing. Using all stock bios settings will not allow me to boot at all, upping CPU voltages will let me boot but still unstable, I have tried using XMP profile for memory and manually setting. I have tested memory using memtest86 for 20hrs, 9 passes with no faults. Have reseated cpu and checked for bent pins, all okay. Am unsure what to do next, any help is greatly appreciated. Not very experienced at OCing so bare with me hehe

Pc specs:
Maximus x hero
Corsair 2x8gb
Gigabyte G1 1070
Corsair hx650
Evo212 cooler
2x SSD, 3x HDD, 1x diskdrive

Mobo, cpu and memory were upgraded together, pc used to work fine with 3570k build.*
Fyi my mobo came in an unsealed box with no anti static bag, but though it was normal*
When you opened the box with the motherboard and noticed it was without a static bag, you didn't hear an alarm bell ringing in your ears? Strange. It is not normal and you should have send it back or returned it where you bought it and complained abouit missing static bag. You bought a refurbished motherboard and most likely it is broken.

Menthol
01-13-2018, 12:03 PM
ASUS motherboards do not come in a sealed box, the motherboards are in a separate box from the accessories inside the main box with a static sheet underneath and a molded plastic covering over the top for protection, this has been their standard packaging for quite some time.
While I think the box should be sealed to give the buyer some assurance the product is new and untouched they are not.

Respekonit
01-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Memory is CMD16GX4M2B3200C

System is posting but crashes directly afterwards, That is on stock settings after I have cleared cmos. Upping voltages on cpu manages to get me into OS, regardless of memory settings.

Gpu is definitely connected properly, still no luck.

Also bios has been updated from the start.

Currently in the process of disassembling rig to try in a test bench and I noticed this when removing cpu cooler:
Damage on board, bottom left side of cpu. You may not be able to tell from photo but it looks like I can see exposed copper...

Thanks for your help.*

Respekonit
01-13-2018, 12:37 PM
ASUS motherboards do not come in a sealed box, the motherboards are in a separate box from the accessories inside the main box with a static sheet underneath and a molded plastic covering over the top for protection, this has been their standard packaging for quite some time.
While I think the box should be sealed to give the buyer some assurance the product is new and untouched they are not.

yup that’s how mine came,
Thanks for the reassurance.
Yes a seal is a must especially for a high end item*

Raja@ASUS
01-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Hard to make out the damage on my laptop screen, but, it you are seeing copper then the CPU cooler mount has 'bitten' into the PCB. That quadrant of the socket is for PCIe, which may explain your non-detection issues, too. This type of issue occurs when the cooler has not been mounted correctly, or worse, when someone forgot to use spacers/washers. This will be deemed customer induced damage by the RMA folks. Bear that in mind.

Raja@ASUS
01-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Boards sometimes need to be updated when in stock. That's why no seal.

Respekonit
01-14-2018, 02:25 AM
The damage to board from cooler mount seems to be the culprit, I have purchased a new board today and all is working fine...
Also does anyone want to buy Maximus X hero used? Mint cond. lol jks. Thanks for the help guys