PDA

View Full Version : Need help with setting voltage for i7-8700K

Yautja_Hunter
01-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Hey guys! I am a newbie on this board and your help and advise would be greatly appreciated. I am running Asus Maximus X Hero board with an Intel i7-8700K.

I have couple of questions:

1) I have speedstate and all C-states enabled and set the CPU core voltage manully for 1.2V for 4700Mhz. When CPU idles it reduces its speed down to 800Mhz, but the voltage understandably remains at 1.2V. Does it hurt CPU to have such voltage at low speeds?

2) I can't figure out how to setup Adaptive voltage correctly. The problem I face is that with Adaptive voltage the board increases the CPU voltage up to 1.45V under heavy loads which in my opinion is way too much and redundant. I tried to limit it by putting Offset to "minus" and and having "Total Adaptive Mode CPU core Voltage" at 1.2V. However CPU-Z still shows voltage spikes up to 1.4V although this is not what I set in BIOS (see attached screenshot with my BIOS settings).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

mcmarky
01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Adaptive Voltage is not 100% equal to idle Vcore as usual and fixed voltage at max. frequency for AVX operations. For high load the voltage gets increased as the SVD controller adjusts. Thats the way I understood so far.
I
So I would recommend to use OFFSET mode with negative offset values. I run offset negative 0,06V. Thats nice for me. Sorry have not much time at the moment. Cya the next days.

Raja@ASUS
01-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Hey guys! I am a newbie on this board and your help and advise would be greatly appreciated. I am running Asus Maximus X Hero board with an Intel i7-8700K.

I have couple of questions:

1) I have speedstate and all C-states enabled and set the CPU core voltage manully for 1.2V for 4700Mhz. When CPU idles it reduces its speed down to 800Mhz, but the voltage understandably remains at 1.2V. Does it hurt CPU to have such voltage at low speeds?

Not really. It just increases the idle temperature somewhat. During idle state, the CPU draws very little current.

2) I can't figure out how to setup Adaptive voltage correctly. The problem I face is that with Adaptive voltage the board increases the CPU voltage up to 1.45V under heavy loads which in my opinion is way too much and redundant. I tried to limit it by putting Offset to "minus" and and having "Total Adaptive Mode CPU core Voltage" at 1.2V. However CPU-Z still shows voltage spikes up to 1.4V although this is not what I set in BIOS (see attached screenshot with my BIOS settings).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

You can set the SVID behaviour option to best case, or set the IA AC & DC loadline settings to 0.01. This will change the amount of VID the CPU requests. Bear in mind that if the adaptive voltage is set below the minimum VID for a given ratio, the CPU will ignore what you have set and request the minimum VID for the ratio. You can get around that by applying a small amount of negative offset, adjusting LLC, and setting the IA AC & DC loadline settings. However, if there is considerable disparity between the minimum SVID and user-desired voltage, you risk inducing instability because the offsets apply (in varying levels) to the entire VID stack. The VID stack is programmed by Intel and varies from CPU to CPU, so you have to work with what you get.

Yautja_Hunter
01-15-2018, 08:39 PM
Thanks for clarifying! Will try to tweak around with settings.

Deepcuts
01-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU and setup as advised.
If you want 4.7Ghz, just change VCORE to 1.180-190 Manual and of course, ratio to 47.
Load defaults 1st to be sure no other settings might affect your setup.