PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Network Card, and Touchpad!! Help please Also few more q's

Barkmarkin
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I have a G74SX-XT1 And I love it to death, except for its sentelic touchpad, that acts eratically, wont move or move randomly, too fast or too slow... as if im dragging it by force and it will hardly move the cursor, And the wifi keeps disconnecting every now and then as it pleases and wont connect back to my network and I have to trouble shoot to get connection again.

So here are my questions..

1. I HAVE ALL the lastest drivers for every hardware on this machine, I also have 16 GB 1333mhz ram, Is it worth upgrading the CPU to a 8mb cache I7 version?

2. HOW THE HELL CAN I FIX THIS TOUCHPAD, I have the very latest sentelic driver , 9.1.7.7, YET It wont work properly, It does but after a while it turns into a pscyho annoying POS., OR WHERE CAN I BUY A SYNAPTICS AND GET IT REPLACED WITH THAT..

3. Where can I order an upgrade wi-fi card that will work seamlessly with this, and have absolutely no issues using 5 ghz N. (intel 6300 or 6230?),

4. I want to add another 500 GB 7200RPM drive, what would be the best choice, and how can I partition it so its raid 0 (performance?), and not lose my adobe cs5 licenses, and windows ultimate license etc.

5. How can I apply arctic silver 5 to the GPU and CPU.

6. I Also would love to know if the speakers on this can be improved and not crackle

7. Also IS THERE ANY EXTENDED battery for the g74sx?, I want to get more time out of this thing when on the go.

Well thanks in advance, I love this thing and I would love to improve it, please help me..

fostert
01-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't have answers to all questions, but will try the ones I know below:

1) What CPU do you have in your G74 now? The ones I've read about here all have the core i7 2630 or 2670...which already has the 8MB of cache. If you're going up from a core i5 to i7, then I'd say yes: its worth it, but beware that upgrading the cpu in the G74 means disassembly of the notebook to get at things...not a straightforward task. The G74 can take any core i7 mobile with the FCPGA988 socket, all the way up to the monster 2960XM Extreme edition. If I had $1k I might do that one myself!

4) You can't do hardware RAID on the G74...the BIOS is useless and does not allow any performance enhancements. Apparently you can do software RAID through the OS, but I haven't met anyone here that has done that. Unless you need the space of an HDD, I'd suggest dropping in an SSD instead, which will give you more performance than a raid setup would have. Otherwise, as for HDDs, my G74 has a pair of Seagate Momentus 500GB drives, and I've created one 1 TB partition extended across both of them using lvm. Not Raid, but nice drives anyways.

5) I've never done a repaste since buying my G74 in October, and I don't plan on it for a while. Reason? Again it requires disassembly to get at things. It might be worth doing since I suspect that ASUS slathered on the paste at the factory in a thick less-than-optimum layer. If you're going to do it budget a whole afternoon. My advice with the paste is i) clean the old paste off **extremely** thoroughly using alcohol. When you think you're done clean again. ii) with the fresh paste **LESS IS MORE**! You want a layer that is on the verge of being transparent enough to see the cpu markings, but not quite. A thick layer will defeat cooling, and instead retain heat. iii) don't spread the paste yourself using a card or anything: that traps air. Use the rice grain method (more like 1/2 rice grain) and let is spread under pressure. Try a test application first; apply, press down, clamp, wait 1/2 hour, unclamp and remove. Look at the spread. I don't consider this a waste of paste, but a learning situation. iv) remember that your temps will be crappy at first, since AS5 has a cure time of ~200 hours. I prefer Shin Etsu X23 7783 since it performs better than AS5 (but by only a degree) and has a cure time of only 4-6 hours.

6) Speaker sound on the G74 can be improved by using an equalizer in your software, and adjusting the low and high frequencies up and suppressing the mid-range. Or, use Creative's THX applet which has nice pre-settings that improve the sound from the G74 speakers dramatically.

7) Have never seen an extended battery for this laptop. Its not really meant to be away from the wall socket anyways for too long...its a gaming box and does not have power saving features like optimus. I can coax only 2.5-3 hours from my battery at most, and thats only word processing.
Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums!

fostert
01-21-2012, 02:29 PM
2. HOW THE HELL CAN I FIX THIS TOUCHPAD, I have the very latest sentelic driver , 9.1.7.7, YET It wont work properly, It does but after a while it turns into a pscyho annoying POS., OR WHERE CAN I BUY A SYNAPTICS AND GET IT REPLACED WITH THAT..

Although I don't have problems with my touchpad (its sensitive but not unworkable) I recall that some folks here have cured them of their erraticness by properly grounding them on the underside with a wire connected to the chassis or something else ground. You have to partially disassemble the notebook to get at the backside of the pad, take off all the tape that ASUS has there, and then as mentioned use metal tape or wire to properly ground the connection.

Anyhow @BrodyBoy has done this...perhaps PM him, or wait for him to respond here?

Barkmarkin
01-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Although I don't have problems with my touchpad (its sensitive but not unworkable) I recall that some folks here have cured them of their erraticness by properly grounding them on the underside with a wire connected to the chassis or something else ground. You have to partially disassemble the notebook to get at the backside of the pad, take off all the tape that ASUS has there, and then as mentioned use metal tape or wire to properly ground the connection.

Anyhow @BrodyBoy has done this...perhaps PM him, or wait for him to respond here?

Thanks so much, I suck with handy work so, Im gonna get a technician to repair it but isn there a replacement touchpad?, And is Intel 6230 the best available wi-fi card for the g74?, Last question is How can I get a two 500gb partitions when I add a hard drive and still have left as it is, I don't wanna lose anything, Like apples time machine I want to back all up and just load it back on as if it was always there.

BrodyBoy
01-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks so much, I suck with handy work so, Im gonna get a technician to repair it but isn there a replacement touchpad?, And is Intel 6230 the best available wi-fi card for the g74?, Last question is How can I get a two 500gb partitions when I add a hard drive and still have left as it is, I don't wanna lose anything, Like apples time machine I want to back all up and just load it back on as if it was always there.
You can't just put any Synaptics touchpad in there. The G74 TP is unusually large, so you need to find one that fits and has the appropriate cabling. (This is not standardized amongst TPs.)

If you are turning it over to a someone else for the repair, you might as well just send it to Asus and let them replace it under warranty. I wouldn't bother trying to fix the one that's in there....it sounds FUBAR. These touchpads have a poor grounding system, and when it fails, the touchpad gets messed up like this. If you RMA it for erratic TP behavior, Asus will replace the touchpad.

There's no "best" WLAN card for the G74 or any other computer. The objective is to just get the best card that mathes your network and needs. In other words, if you don't use bluetooth, you don't need a card with integrated bluetooth. If you use a 150Mbps network, you don't need a 3-stream, 300-450Mbps card. The Intel cards are all excellent upgrades. If you use BT, the 6230 is a good choice. If you don't, the 6300 is a good option. You can order replacement WLAN cards on Amazon or Newegg.

When you add a new hard drive, you can partition it however you like. Assuming you mean to add a 1Tb drive, you simply go into Disk Management and create two 500Gb partitions.

Barkmarkin
01-21-2012, 09:28 PM
You can't just put any Synaptics touchpad in there. The G74 TP is unusually large, so you need to find one that fits and has the appropriate cabling. (This is not standardized amongst TPs.)

If you are turning it over to a someone else for the repair, you might as well just send it to Asus and let them replace it under warranty. I wouldn't bother trying to fix the one that's in there....it sounds FUBAR. These touchpads have a poor grounding system, and when it fails, the touchpad gets messed up like this. If you RMA it for erratic TP behavior, Asus will replace the touchpad.

There's no "best" WLAN card for the G74 or any other computer. The objective is to just get the best card that mathes your network and needs. In other words, if you don't use bluetooth, you don't need a card with integrated bluetooth. If you use a 150Mbps network, you don't need a 3-stream, 300-450Mbps card. The Intel cards are all excellent upgrades. If you use BT, the 6230 is a good choice. If you don't, the 6300 is a good option. You can order replacement WLAN cards on Amazon or Newegg.

When you add a new hard drive, you can partition it however you like. Assuming you mean to add a 1Tb drive, you simply go into Disk Management and create two 500Gb partitions.
Thanks so much Ill do that but after adding the HD will i loose any data after creating two 500gb partitions?, Is therell any backup software thatll let me keep all my settings and data, like time machine on apple?, Thank you.

BrodyBoy
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks so much Ill do that but after adding the HD will i loose any data after creating two 500gb partitions?, Is therell any backup software thatll let me keep all my settings and data, like time machine on apple?, Thank you.
I'm sorry....I don't quite understand wht you're asking. Are you adding a hard drive? Or replacing a hard drive?

If you are simply adding a hard drive to a one-drive system, it will not impact any of the data on the existing hard drive. If you are replacing a hard drive, you will need to copy your data over to the new drive.

Barkmarkin
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry....I don't quite understand wht you're asking. Are you adding a hard drive? Or replacing a hard drive?

If you are simply adding a hard drive to a one-drive system, it will not impact any of the data on the existing hard drive. If you are replacing a hard drive, you will need to copy your data over to the new drive.

I already have a 500gb 7200rpm seagate hard driver that came with the g74, I want to add another 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive, But the current disk is partitioned as 250/250 so I want to turn it into one partition and add the other disk so I can have 2x 500 gb making 1tb total, But I don't want to lose the data on my disk 1 (One that came with the laptop) when partitioning it to 1 partition, and Sorry for my bad english so when I add the other one it'll be 2x 500gb, Currently its 250/250 split on one 500gb..

Thanks. Also when I RMA the laptop how long would you think it'd take because this is my laptop that I use at school work and I'm a multimedia design student, I need it badly so... And do you think they can replace the touchpad with synaptics?, And how is the process done of RMA ing it to asus service

I have a 2630qm is it worth upgrade to 2750, for the 8mb cache? mine has 6mb

fostert
01-21-2012, 10:52 PM
I already have a 500gb 7200rpm seagate hard driver that came with the g74, I want to add another 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive, But the current disk is partitioned as 250/250 so I want to turn it into one partition and add the other disk so I can have 2x 500 gb making 1tb total, But I don't want to lose the data on my disk 1 (One that came with the laptop) when partitioning it to 1 partition, and Sorry for my bad english so when I add the other one it'll be 2x 500gb, Currently its 250/250 split on one 500gb..

Yes, you can resize and merge disk partitions without destroying the data on them or their bootability. I think the Windows Disk Manglement tool will do this for you, although I use gparted, which is the free (GNU licensed) answer to the commercial program Partition Magic. These should allow you to merge your two 250GB partitions together into one 500 GB, and maintain the data integrity. You can get gparted as part of Hiren's BootCD (free download) which has a huge collection of disk management tools, virus checkers, cloners, nukers, etc on one bootable CD. Other people around here use other partition management software too.

Of course, goes without saying that its a good idea to back up first before using any partition editor...

I have a 2630qm is it worth upgrade to 2750, for the 8mb cache? mine has 6mb

There is no such CPU from intel. The ones that have the 8MB cache are in the 2800 mobile series. 10-20% faster is not worth the pain of disassembly IMHO.

BrodyBoy
01-22-2012, 12:23 AM
As fostert already described, you can certainly change the partitioning on your existing hard drive and make it into one large 500Gb partition.

I would suggest, however, that you reconsider that idea. Currently, your OS is on one of those 250Gb partitions. Whenever you back up your Windows installation, you make an image of the entire partition. You can't selectively image the Window components or files....you simply image the entire partition. Right now, that's a 250Gb partition that includes whatever programs and data are on it, along with Windows. If you expand your Windows partition to 500Gb and put a lot of data on it, it becomes much more cumbersome to back up your system....and to restore it, if necessary.

Keeping Windows contained on a smaller partition, separate from your data, makes backing up and restoring much easier. You still get the same amount of space, you're just organizing it differently. (Ie., when you add another 500Gb hard drive, you will still have 1Tb total, no matter what the partitions are.

One final note: If you do decide to merge those partitions, and you have important data on the D: partition, I would play it safe and move that data onto the 2ndd HDD before expanding the C: partition. I know there are programs that should merge them with the data intact, but I wouldn't trust important data to that process.

Thanks. Also when I RMA the laptop how long would you think it'd take because this is my laptop that I use at school work and I'm a multimedia design student, I need it badly so... And do you think they can replace the touchpad with synaptics?, And how is the process done of RMA ing it to asus service
Asus service efficiency seems to vary quite a bit in different areas. (Portugal, for example, has gotten a rep for being slow and not especially effective.) But a touchpad replacement is a very quick task, so if Asus in your area is fairly fast, it should be a speedy turn-around.

Barkmarkin
01-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks alot man, Well I just ordered a Seagate momentum 500gb 7200rpm with same specs as the drive my G74 came with, However, Windows is on C and I have alot of info on D, so can I transfer all data and programs on D partition of the 1st hard drive to the new hard drive, Will I lose any licenses for Adobe CS5 etc?. Then can partition C to be 500 gb and have the previous data that was on D in my new hard drive, So I want 2x 500 gb partitions C, AND new D with data that was on previous hard drives 2nd partition, God I suck at english... So yes only one partition on each drive, But I don't wanna lose any data, thats my point.. lol If you use any Messenger can I add you? Its hard to explain myself..Thanks

BrodyBoy
01-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Will I lose any licenses for Adobe CS5 etc?. Then can partition C to be 500 gb and have the previous data that was on D in my new hard drive, So I want 2x 500 gb partitions C, AND new D with data that was on previous hard drives 2nd partition,
No...chances are, you installed all your programs on the C: drive, since that's always the default location, unless you intentionally changed it. So the repartitioning will not alter any of your licenses, etc.

Here's what you will want to do:

Install the new hard drive in drive bay #2 (you need the 2nd HDD accessories..make sure you have those)
Go into Disk Management and partition the new drive however you want it
Move all the existing data on your D: drive to the new hard drive
With D: drive now empty, go into Disk Management and:
- Right-click on the D: partition and select "Delete"
- Right-click on the C: partition and select "Extend volume"
Follow the wizard and accept all defaults to extend the C: partition to the entire hard drive

This won't affect any of the data or program installations on your C: drive.

cwoggon
01-22-2012, 06:13 AM
3. Where can I order an upgrade wi-fi card that will work seamlessly with this, and have absolutely no issues using 5 ghz N. (intel 6300 or 6230?),

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7760-G74SX-Atheros-9002WB-1NG-Wireless-Garbage&p=66930&viewfull=1#post66930
If you want to have bluetooth connectivity you're going to have to go with a 6230 as the 6300 does not have bluetooth capabilities. Unfortunately the 6230 will not operate at 450mbps N if your router has that capability (many don't).

4. I want to add another 500 GB 7200RPM drive, what would be the best choice, and how can I partition it so its raid 0 (performance?), and not lose my adobe cs5 licenses, and windows ultimate license etc.

I would have recommended buying a SSD and adding it to the 500GB drive that came with your computer (I replaced one of my 750GB drives with a 120GB Intel 510 and couldn't be happier). A SSD would operate much faster then any standard hard drives in a RAID configuration and with the current price of standard hard drives it seems to me that this is the best option. From there I would have probably just redone the system from scratch, but since you have already ordered the drive this probably isn't a very cost effective option...

Barkmarkin
01-22-2012, 08:46 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7760-G74SX-Atheros-9002WB-1NG-Wireless-Garbage&p=66930&viewfull=1#post66930
If you want to have bluetooth connectivity you're going to have to go with a 6230 as the 6300 does not have bluetooth capabilities. Unfortunately the 6230 will not operate at 450mbps N if your router has that capability (many don't).

I would have recommended buying a SSD and adding it to the 500GB drive that came with your computer (I replaced one of my 750GB drives with a 120GB Intel 510 and couldn't be happier). A SSD would operate much faster then any standard hard drives in a RAID configuration and with the current price of standard hard drives it seems to me that this is the best option. From there I would have probably just redone the system from scratch, but since you have already ordered the drive this probably isn't a very cost effective option...

I got a netgear N750 router so... I have dual band N

BrodyBoy
01-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Be aware that the G74 has two antennas. If you actually want to try and run a three-stream network and get faster than 300Mbps, you will need to install, or have installed, a third antenna in your notebook.

But you'll probably get greater stability with a solid 300Mbps network anyway, so that opens up your WLAN card options.

Barkmarkin
01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Just ordered these two:

http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=20642

http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=14068

Well, can you teach me how you grounded the touchpad, I don't wanna send it in :)

BrodyBoy
01-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Well, can you teach me how you grounded the touchpad, I don't wanna send it in :)
You have to disassemble to the point of removing the top cover to access the back of the touchpad. There's currently a piece of foil tape between the TP's grounding pad the the metal keyboard backing. Re-grounding involves removing that and replacing it with a more stable ground, like wire or rigid metal.

But I don't believe it's worth the effort, not just because you said you "suck at handy work," but because I honestly don't think it will fix the problem. Once the G74 touchpad goes haywire like that, I believe it's permanently damaged. I have personally repaired the ground on two units that had already experienced ground failure, and the touchpad remained dysfunctional. I haven't seen any reports of erratic G74 touchpads being fixed by re-grounding.....not a one. As I said, I think the TP is permanently damaged.

Touchpad replacement, with proper ground installation on the new one, is the only fix. For that, you have two options: (1) buy a new touchpad and replace it yourself, or (2) send it to Asus and let them replace it under warranty.

Barkmarkin
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks, where can I buy a replacement touchpad and get it replaced here at a local shop, I can't be away from my g74 since im a graphic designer..

BrodyBoy
01-24-2012, 04:09 AM
(God...this forum is screwed up lately....)

Anyhooo, Barkmarkin....I will try to remember the reponse I attempted to post this morning before the site went buns up.

On the Asus parts site, it lists the G73's Synaptics TP as the replacement TP for the G74. But the G74's TP is unusually large, and a G73 TP would not use the entire touch area, leaving dead zones around the edge(s). At some point, I would think that Asus will list the actual Sentelic and Synaptics models used in the G74. (Remember, it has to match in both size and cable confoguration.)

I would not trust anyone at a local computer repair shop to know anything about the G-series TP history, the nature of the issue, or the proper way to resolve it. In fact, they would most likely want to follow the installation protocol for the G74 TP and install the new one exactly the same way as the old one. (Note also that a user-purchased and replaced touchpad would void the Asus warranty on at least that component.)

If you can swing it at all, you might consider using an external mouse until you can spare the computer for awhile to RMA it. Maybe during a vacation or something. If you set it up ahead of time with Chastity, maybe he could help route and expedite the process so you'd have minimal downtime.

Barkmarkin
01-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Got it, thanks but can you give me the site?, I have a trusted person here who repaired my previous computers :), I just need synaptics ;part number and sentellics, But are you sure g74 synaptics is same as g74s?, Also I received the HDD and wi-fi card today, how should I install them?. And how can I do the partition thing without losing my CS5.5 license..

BrodyBoy
01-24-2012, 06:59 PM
If you re-read my last post, you'll note that I don't think they are the same, and that Asus has yet to list the actual Sentelic and Synapics models used in the G74. So no, I can't link you to a site.

There are many threads about installing HDDs and WLAN cards in the G74. Perhaps you could take a look at a couple of those, but here's the gist.

Installing a 2nd HDD:

Make sure you have the HDD accessories ready- SATA board, SATA cable, drive caddy, 8 screws
Install the HDD in the drive caddy
Attach the SATA cable to the SATA board (if it's not already attached)
Attach the HDD to the SATA board
Install the drive/caddy assembly in the drive bay
Attach the SATA cable to the M/B
In Disk Management, initialize and partition the new HDD, as desired

WLAN card:

Uninstall the existing WLAN driver, and download the new driver you need
Open the back panel and replace the existing WLAN card with the new one
Restart and install the driver for the new card

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74%20Hardware/WLANswap.jpg

I don't understand your concern about your Adobe license....I thought we already covered that....moving data doesn't affect your license. But if you're worried about it, you can de-activate the Adobe installation and re-activate when you're done. I see no reason for that, but it won't hurt, if that's what you want to do.

Austin
01-27-2012, 03:04 AM
Ok my Touch Pads Scroll function isnt working like with internet or anything what do i do

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Ok my Touch Pads Scroll function isnt working like with internet or anything what do i do
Make sure that you have the manufacturer's touchpad driver installed (i.e., either the Setelic or Synaptics driver, depending on whichhardware you have). The generic MS driver doesn't have on-pad gesture functions.

Then, after your driver is installed, go into its configuration utility and customize the settings. The Sentelic touchpad, in particular, may not employ scrolling the way you're accustomed to. So just going through those settings not only allows you to pick & choose the functions you want, it's a chance to learn about how various multi-touch gestures work on your model.

Austin
01-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Make sure that you have the manufacturer's touchpad driver installed (i.e., either the Setelic or Synaptics driver, depending on whichhardware you have). The generic MS driver doesn't have on-pad gesture functions.

Then, after your driver is installed, go into its configuration utility and customize the settings. The Sentelic touchpad, in particular, may not employ scrolling the way you're accustomed to. So just going through those settings not only allows you to pick & choose the functions you want, it's a chance to learn about how various multi-touch gestures work on your model.

is there a guide for this i just don't wanna mess something up

BrodyBoy
01-27-2012, 07:46 AM
is there a guide for this i just don't wanna mess something up
You won't mess anything up. It's meant to be used to set all the touchpad features the way you like. It's perfectly okay to experiment, turning features on and off, etc.

The instructions ("guide") are in the configuration tool itself. It's pretty good at explaining each feature.