PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-3D: Anyone upgraded to the nVidia 3D Vision 2 glasses?

Swampthing
01-21-2012, 12:24 PM
So I see that nVidia has come out with their next generation of 3D Vision glasses, and wonder if anyone here who owns a G74SX 3D have upgraded to the new glasses and see a major difference? I love using the original 3D glasses that came with my laptop, but was disappointed to see that even though I bought my laptop in December, the new glasses had been out since October and the pack-in was not upgraded.

One of the biggest things I am curious about is whether the new increase in light source makes a major difference.

But also would I need the kit or just the glasses to upgrade? Seems to me all I would need is glasses since the transmitter is built into this laptop, correct?

I'm very interested in hearing anyone's else's experiences...

At least they are getting very positive hardware reviews:http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-3D-Vision-2-and-The-Asus-VG278-LCD/

Swampthing
01-22-2012, 05:21 AM
Am I the only person "enjoying" the 3D Vision? :(

PILGRIM
01-22-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm also "enjoying" my 3D Vision 1 kit. :)

I've also read about the 3D Vision 2 kit. It's claimed to make 3D viewing brighter.
I'm planning to buy just the glasses sometime next month . I've read one review saying
the built-in IR emitter on the laptop works just fine.

gregpxc
01-22-2012, 08:29 AM
I was interested in this as well. I just got my 3D yesterday and after reading that these had been out for a while I was kind of upset. I may write Asus about it and see if I can't snag a pair of the newer ones.

If the brighter thing is true, thatd be nice. I love playing 3d games but sometimes its too dark and when I look away from my screen the lenses lighten back up and my eyes get fried!

Would love to hear some opinions/comparisons.

PILGRIM
01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
@gregpxc: On the contrary, I find the 3D Vision 1 Kit not "too dark" at all.
In fact, its brightness is just exactly to my liking. (Maybe I should also mention that I adjust brightness by using the hot keys.) :-)

Swampthing
02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
So I upgraded to the 3D Vision 2 glasses about 3 weeks ago, and couldn't be more pleased! The larger size does make a big difference, and the light technology does make the "dark" 3D much brighter than before. The arms of the glasses are different as well, wider and thicker. Instead of pressing the 3D power button on the top of the frame, the new button is on the side of the frame. Overall they feel much lighter on my face, and I barely use the other ones now.

I also highly recommend upgrading to POWERDVD 12 ULTRA since it converts any 2D movie or 2D picture into 3D for you quite beautifully. Since the conversion is on the fly, it isn't 100% perfect, but I'd say it's a good 95% there. I watched THE WALKING DEAD in 3D as well as an old favorite film of mine, PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE, and the 3D levels chosen by the software were amazingly well done.

You can even log into your FACEBOOK account and view all the pictures on you and your friend's walls in 3D. Converts all Youtube videos to 3D on the fly as well.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. ***** out of *****

PILGRIM
02-13-2012, 03:04 AM
So I upgraded to the 3D Vision 2 glasses about 3 weeks ago, and couldn't be more pleased! The larger size does make a big difference, and the light technology does make the "dark" 3D much brighter than before. The arms of the glasses are different as well, wider and thicker. Instead of pressing the 3D power button on the top of the frame, the new button is on the side of the frame. Overall they feel much lighter on my face, and I barely use the other ones now.

I also highly recommend upgrading to POWERDVD 12 ULTRA since it converts any 2D movie or 2D picture into 3D for you quite beautifully. Since the conversion is on the fly, it isn't 100% perfect, but I'd say it's a good 95% there. I watched THE WALKING DEAD in 3D as well as an old favorite film of mine, PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE, and the 3D levels chosen by the software were amazingly well done.

You can even log into your FACEBOOK account and view all the pictures on you and your friend's walls in 3D. Converts all Youtube videos to 3D on the fly as well.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. ***** out of *****

Good info.. Thanks for the review.

Just don't forget to remove your new glasses when you're done with the laptop.
You might be looking at everything, the "Nvidia way".. :p