PDA

View Full Version : G73 freezing when I have flash installed.

chadwickhell
01-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Hello all. I bought an Asus G73jh a month ago, and I love it. I am having a problem though, and I've tried to search this forum to no avail for an answer, so I joined specifically just to ask this question and hope that someone can help me. I have done a clean install of windows 7 x64 bit and used Chastity's driver disk to reinstall all drivers. Everything is working perfectly except that if I install flash of any kind, when I go to a website like youtube, Nypost etc, that uses flash, my computer will lock up. I have tried flash 10 and 11. If I uninstall flash i can go to these websites and no lock ups will occur but of course i can't use all the content. Does anyone have a solution for this? Thank you in advance. I forgot to add that I have tried many different video card drivers as well, but some don't work well with my screen and give me improper resolutions, mine is supposed to be 1600 x 900, and also some don't give me catalyst control center that is working. Ty

BrodyBoy
01-21-2012, 08:22 PM
What browser are you using?

chadwickhell
01-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Sorry forgot to mention that it happens in Chrome, IE9 or firefox.

BrodyBoy
01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
That's odd. Did you try turning hardware acceleration off? I don't know if it'll help, but worth a troubleshooting shot.

I don't use ATI cards, so hopefully someone more familiar with their drivers and quirks can offer some insight.

dstrakele
01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
I'd be tempted to uninstall your current ATI driver, run ATI Crap Cleaner or Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode to remove any ATI remnants. Then reinstall the ATI driver of your choice in Safe Mode.

EDIT: Here is a thread with other users experiencing a similar issue that offers different recommendations:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/397a2f85-4c22-4778-894d-814d53fb0994

I currently run the Adobe Flash Add-on version 11.1.102.55 in Windows Explorer 64-bit (confiigured to use software acceleration instead of GPU acceleration on my G74SX-A1.

chadwickhell
01-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Thank you both, unfortunately I have actually done both of those also.

dstrakele
01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
When you unistalled the ATI driver and removed remnants, did you still experience the lockup when viewing YouTube videos?

Are there any Errors or Warnings in the System or Application Event Logs that point to a troubleshooting direction?

Did you try running CCleaner? Perhaps the problem is a corrupt Flash installation.

What is the "rcadvi all" in your post?

chadwickhell
01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
LOL that strange gibberish was the captcha thingy somehow appearing in this box also. I did not try to watch youtube with video driver uninstalled, because I knew I couldn't keep the laptop in this state with no video driver nor proper resolution. The other suggestions, there is one errors -I can't find the driver for wimax console. Any other suggestions? The only other thing I did, was to replace the ram from the original 6gb , to 3 x 4gb sticks - that crucial scan picked out, bringing my total ram to 14gb. 2gb built in.

dstrakele
01-21-2012, 09:37 PM
I did not try to watch youtube with video driver uninstalled, because I knew I couldn't keep the laptop in this state with no video driver nor proper resolution.

Ya gotta think like a troubleshooter. If you've got the Windows Plug N Play VGA driver in there (you won't have NO video driver) and STILL have the lockup issue, you know it is unlikely the ATI video driver is the cause.

Also in troubleshooting, more often than not, it is the last thing you've done that is most likely to be the cause of the problem. In the thread I referenced previously, bad or incompatible RAM was mentioned as a cause of the lockup when viewing Flash pages. Do you still get lockups when you go back to the original RAM? You may also wish to test your current RAM with memtest86, possibly one stick at a time.

chadwickhell
01-21-2012, 09:51 PM
I'll try those and report back!

dstrakele
01-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Applications with kernel mode drivers such as Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, and Remote Access software can be involved in system lockups when their drivers conflict with other drivers on the system. What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, and Remote Access software is installed on your laptop?