PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of joining you all..

spursbob
01-21-2012, 11:55 PM
..with the purchase of a G74SX-CST1-CBIL for $1,229.97 minus 10%. There isn't too much info. out there about this model so perhaps I'm paying over the odds but it seems like a good deal to me. I see there are a few Canadians here with this model who can maybe set me straight. It is now on clearance at Staples and has been pulled from their site so not much to look at. I'm getting one shipped to my local store and I'm planning on buying it for $1107 with the 10% discount coupon next Saturday. Wise choice or should I be looking for something else Asus wise?
Thanks in advance.

dstrakele
01-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I'd confim your retailer has a return or exchange policy for defective units. Then if you should have the misfortune to get a unit with a problem, you can get a refund or exchange it for a new system. Since you report it is a clearance unit, exchange will be unlikely, but I'd still rather have my money back then RMA it to ASUS and have to wait while they repair it. Once you enter the RMA process, problem resolution is with ASUS and not the retailer, so the computer problem is then YOUR problem and the retailer is off the hook.

fostert
01-22-2012, 05:24 AM
..with the purchase of a G74SX-CST1-CBIL for $1,229.97 minus 10%. There isn't too much info. out there about this model so perhaps I'm paying over the odds but it seems like a good deal to me. I see there are a few Canadians here with this model who can maybe set me straight. It is now on clearance at Staples and has been pulled from their site so not much to look at. I'm getting one shipped to my local store and I'm planning on buying it for $1107 with the 10% discount coupon next Saturday. Wise choice or should I be looking for something else Asus wise?
Thanks in advance.
@spursbob: I got that exact model (CST1-CBIL) from Staples in my city back in October. It was and still is a terrific deal: $1350 Cdn. got me the 1920x1080 FHD screen, 8 GB of RAM, 3GB GTX560M, 2x500GB 7200 HDDs (I'm sure you know the specs) and one rock solid machine that I can honesty say I have never experienced any of the common G74 problems that i have seen on this forum with. It too being a G74 has the same idiosyncrasies (like turning off the touchpad in the BIOS locks the keyboard), but I am very happy with the Staples version: it is as top-notch a G74 as any other out there, and certainly not a "gimped" model like the BestBuy versions.

You have 15 days with them to try it and return it to them for refund. The only thing I do not like with the CBIL is the 1 year warranty with ASUS. Why not the standard 2 years? I'm crossing my fingers I never need to exercise it.

The only drag about Staples for me was their "special":\ free World of Warcraft Cataclysm game with purchase. What they don't tell you is that it is an expansion set that requires you to own the original game to use; it is useless otherwise. Staples wouldn't budge and give me something else in its place, even a lower price kids game for my daughter. Useless.

spursbob
01-22-2012, 01:14 PM
I'd confim your retailer has a return or exchange policy for defective units. Then if you should have the misfortune to get a unit with a problem, you can get a refund or exchange it for a new system. Since you report it is a clearance unit, exchange will be unlikely, but I'd still rather have my money back then RMA it to ASUS and have to wait while they repair it. Once you enter the RMA process, problem resolution is with ASUS and not the retailer, so the computer problem is then YOUR problem and the retailer is off the hook.

I have 14 days to return it if unhappy which will be my only option I guess due to the clearance. Cheers for the advice.

spursbob
01-22-2012, 01:19 PM
@spursbob: I got that exact model (CST1-CBIL) from Staples in my city back in October. It was and still is a terrific deal: $1350 Cdn. got me the 1920x1080 FHD screen, 8 GB of RAM, 3GB GTX560M, 2x500GB 7200 HDDs (I'm sure you know the specs) and one rock solid machine that I can honesty say I have never experienced any of the common G74 problems that i have seen on this forum with. It too being a G74 has the same idiosyncrasies (like turning off the touchpad in the BIOS locks the keyboard), but I am very happy with the Staples version: it is as top-notch a G74 as any other out there, and certainly not a "gimped" model like the BestBuy versions.

You have 15 days with them to try it and return it to them for refund. The only thing I do not like with the CBIL is the 1 year warranty with ASUS. Why not the standard 2 years? I'm crossing my fingers I never need to exercise it.

The only drag about Staples for me was their "special":\ free World of Warcraft Cataclysm game with purchase. What they don't tell you is that it is an expansion set that requires you to own the original game to use; it is useless otherwise. Staples wouldn't budge and give me something else in its place, even a lower price kids game for my daughter. Useless.

Good to hear you are extremely satisfied with yours and have had no issues; hopefully mine is fine too. This forum makes scary reading. The 1 year warranty sucks but seems to be very common in Canada except Quebec where consumers are protected by the 'reasonable length of time' law so 1 year means nothing. I didn't see any free game offers Cataclysm will soon be on Kijiji. Cheers.

fostert
01-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Yes, the forum does make one nervous, but I realized over time here that 70% of the problems are software-related to Windows, drivers and their interactions with each other, and since most of the G74's bells and whistles are controlled by software it is a computer that is unusually prone to apparent hardware failures really due to software. Since I use Linux I experience none of these issues, but then I also lose the capability of controlling my keyboard backlight, screen brightness, touchpad on/off and sound volume etc via hotkeys. That doesn't matter to me, since I paid the big $$ for speed, screen size, and comfortable typing; i.e. a desktop replacement.

dstrakele
01-22-2012, 09:03 PM
For today's mass-produced electronic gadgets, I think it is important to prepare for a possible defective unit. Be aware of your retailer's return and exchange policy. You want to be able to easily return a defective unit or better, immediately exchange your defective unit for a new one.

When you get your system, test every feature completely: Your only goal is to determine if you will keep or return/exchange the system within the retailer's return/exchange policy period.

- examine the display for stuck, bright, or dead pixels - or poor resolution, flickering on dark backgrounds at low brightness levels, etc.
- test all of the keys on the keyboard - including function key combinations
- test all ports on the system to make sure they function
- test the ODD to confirm it can read and record media
- test the camera and built-in microphone
- test the card reader
- test the touchpad, particularly when typing
- test the system audio performance
- test WLAN and LAN internet connectivity and performance
- run some stress tests, like furmark or Prime95 - monitor CPU and GPU temperatures during these tests
- run a chkdsk and memtest86 to confirm a sound file system and memory - get a SpeedFan Online Diagnostic Summary of your HDD(s)
- leave the system running and try to keep it busy for at least 48 hours - any electronic component failures are likely to occur in this time
- load up and test the main apps (or games) you plan to run on your system.
- do any other tests you can think of...

Let your system run and try to keep it busy for at least 48 hours straight. With electronic gadgets, failures are more likely in the first 48 hours of continuous use.

If you do encounter a problem, go to a support forum or google your issue and see if there is an easy fix. You have the advantage of studying the threads in this forum to learn about potential problems and their solutions BEFORE you've even received your laptop.

If you encounter a problem that resists an easy fix, try a factory restore or a clean Windows 7 installation if you feel like troubleshooting. The key is if your system has issues right out of the box that cannot be easily resolved, it is best to exchange the system, or return it for refund. It is possible you may need to make more than one exchange to get a system without issues. My rule of thumb is if the third exchange does not resolve the problem (three strikes, you're OUT), then re-evaluate your purchase decision.

Avoid letting the retailer convince you to RMA the system to the manufacturer. Once you do that, the system problems are now YOUR problems and must be dealt with between you and the manufacturer. The retailer is off the hook. Let any problems with brand new systems be the retailer's or the manufacturer's problems.

tkd_ron
01-24-2012, 06:15 AM
I bought my g74sx-bbk7 (i7 2630qm,8gb ram, 2 500 gb 7200rpm drives, intel centrino 6150n wireless, gtx 560m 128 bit 2gb mem, 1600x900 display ) on clearance from best buy for $1099.00 and I am very happy with the machine, although it gets knocked for being gimped, I have had no problems with it in the five months I have been using it, and after doing a clean install it runs really fast and gaming on it is excellent I think the 128bit gimped card benefits from the lower resolution of hd+ i.e. realy fast frame rates.and other than the 128 bit card and 1600x 900 resolutuon it is no different in specs from a lot of the other g74's. I read this forum before I purchased my machine and it could be easy to get turned off by what you read about all the problems the g74s have but I believe that it is mostly a case of the "squeeky wheel" :) that is, we are mostly going to hear from those with a problem ,while the majority of owners are happily enjoying their machines problem free, I had always wanted an ASUS gaming laptop for years and now that I have one, even though " gimped" I love it.

380mcn
01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT685-GT685R-.html#/?div=Specification

M M L M
01-28-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks in advance.

Hello, I am new too and I am french, that's hard for me some time for read and undersrtand all of what you said but I have buy the same model, and I have one little question. Any of you who have buy the Staples version can use the 3D vision wirless glasses ?

I have call Nvidia for verified if I can use with my model the 3d glasses and they do not think so, they tel me to call my asus seller for verified but as you know at Staples they look on google for answer almost all your question. So I have no idea if I can buy those glasses and use them or not. any one of you have try the glasses with the G74SX-CST1-CBIL

Thank's in advance !

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Welcome, @MMLM! The ASUS Laptops that display 3D on the laptop have displays that can run at 120 hz. They also have a 3D icon near the camera and typically have a 3DE in the model# and come with glasses. So I suspect the G74SX CST1-CBIL can only display 3D on an external 3D-capable monitor.

CosmicCat
01-28-2012, 08:20 AM
i would honestly wait till the end of Q1 of this year and get the new gen 3 ivy bridge notebooks

chrsplmr
01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
dstrakele+ always a trusted friend to all, advice & help..... (in case New Members were wondering.. )

CosmicCat--- also good advice -- new models seldom have unimprovements.... price ???

M... Welcome .. take your time .. worry not of language.. we apologize to you... anything..AnyThing
you dont understand... please ask. and there are french speakers here ... enjoy...

fosert+

tdk.... hahaha... "gimped" ..... it was a deal @ the time. This sounds like a little better deal.. eh. (urs runs perfect..shhh)

SpursBob -- Welcome -- "GO FOR IT !!!" if it dont bring joy...return it ... there are others...hahaha

380 --- hahahahahhahahahhaa.... really ? Isnt that comparing StrawBerries and Garlic ??? Well...
one Always leaves a bad taste in my mouth .
'80...did you notice this in the ad ?? does it make you go, hmmmmmmmm???
"The product picture may differ from the actual product. Only for your reference.
The specifications may differ from areas. Please check with your local dealers."
I could do 20 minutes of stand up on just these two lines.... hahahahah.
So....this isnt what we are selling.. it might not even look like it..
the specs may or may not be close.. hey we are not sure what will be
in the box you buy... but.. this is exactly how much it costs..... oboy... no disrespect friend...
But your point is well, well taken....

Lets get 380 ROG'n ... where is that at brother .. Mason right ?? Time sucks.
and it seems so unfair....it is what it is....luck and timing....sorry this
is so harsh for you...i hope it passes soon.c.

City Builder
01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
I bought my g74sx-bbk7 (i7 2630qm,8gb ram, 2 500 gb 7200rpm drives, intel centrino 6150n wireless, gtx 560m 128 bit 2gb mem, 1600x900 display ) on clearance from best buy for $1099.00 and I am very happy with the machine, although it gets knocked for being gimped, I have had no problems with it in the five months I have been using it, and after doing a clean install it runs really fast and gaming on it is excellent I think the 128bit gimped card benefits from the lower resolution of hd+ i.e. (snipped) .

I've had the opposite reaction to my Best Buy G74sx (i7 2670qm 8GB RAM, 2 500GB drives, GTX 560m with 2GB video RAM and 1600x900 display).

While it is labeled as a gaming laptop, it's really far from it with today's games, at least mine is. Don't get me wrong... I love my laptop as it affords me the ability to move around with a computer by my side, however if the main intention is to be able to play video games with good performance and visual quality, this laptop just doesn't cut it.

When I bought it, it was a spur of the moment decission and since Best Buy is the only local store in town where I live, and this was the closest to a gaming laptop that could be bought locally, I bought it. I'm not sorry that I did, just wish it could live up to the handle of being a gaming laptop for me.

On almost all of today's modern games that I've tried on it, I've either had to lower the visual quality to what I consider to be an unacceptable level, or play with unacceptable frame rate. About the only games that run acceptably on it, are games like Minecraft or Terraria, neither of which tax most older computers anyway.

It's hardware should out best my desktop (AMD Phenom II 965 BE with 8GB system RAM and a GTX 465 Nvidia card with just 1GB of video RAM) however the desktop plays all of today's modern games on either high or ultra high settings with great FPS, which makes me a little sad considering the laptop's price when I bought it.

Anyway, I second that you should thoroughly check out every aspect of your laptop, including writing a good amount of data to the hard drives. On my laptop the 2nd 500gb hard drive was dead within 5 hours after first starting my G74sx. Thankfully I had a good experience with RMA'ing the HDD back to asus and had a new HDD in my hands in less than 3 or 4 days of them receiving the returned HDD. Other than that, there has been no physical problems with this unit which makes me happy.

So, I bought the laptop to be able to have better performance and visual quality than my desktop and use it (almost) exclusively for gaming, and use my desktop (the old faithful workhorse) as my work computer. But it turns out it's the opposite and the laptop is now almost exclusively left to work and the desktop to gaming, which makes me sad.

I know, I must sound like Cybil with 9 different personalities what with being happy and sad, but I hope that one day I'll find a real gaming laptop that can play today's games with good quality visuals and good frame rates too. I've even gone so far as to wipe the drives and fresh install Win 7 with just the absolute necessary ASUS software for the laptop to run, and while it starts into Windows 7 very fast (definitely faster than my desktop that hasn't had a refresh in close to a year now), it's still not capable of gaming with good visuals and good performance.

But hey, gaming may not be the OP's thing so what I've written may well not even apply to them, but I thought I'd temper what you may have read on this forum about how great these laptops are for gaming, because in my opinion, they're really not, however they may well be the best thing on the market in this price range. I don't really know since I've not invested the time to look further into what was available on the market in laptops for gaming, as it would just give me one more personality to sadden me.

Anyway, I hope you have better experience with your new laptop than I've had with mine (regarding gaming, not over all function, since it works good as a workhorse computer).

Oh and don't get me wrong, it's got a whole lot of niceties regardless whether it were a desktop unit or a laptop, like the lighted keyboard (love that) and the 7200rpm HDD's, and the clarity of the images on the screen to me is really fantastic amongst many other nice features. Great for work for me, not so nice for gaming.

Enjoy yours.

fostert
01-28-2012, 05:23 PM
I have call Nvidia for verified if I can use with my model the 3d glasses and they do not think so, they tel me to call my asus seller for verified but as you know at Staples they look on google for answer almost all your question. So I have no idea if I can buy those glasses and use them or not. any one of you have try the glasses with the G74SX-CST1-CBIL

My G74SX-CST1-CBIL definitely does not have a 3D screen nor a 3D glasses emitter in the area of the webcam. It does have the luscious Full HD 1920x1080 LED screen which is one of the reasons I bought it on sight from Staples. However, the GTX560M does have 3D capability, so I suspect an external 3D monitor would be supported?

M M L M
01-28-2012, 08:57 PM
The guy at the store, at Staples have give me wrong information, and it's to late for me to ask for refund. He showed me the 3D tv Play when I have ask to him, but that's really not the same thing. 3DTV play it's only a software if I have understand the technical support.

Can someone give me some good new's.. The only reason I have buy that computer was for that reason, be able to use the 3 d when I will need to play the game GuildWars 2.

For now I have no idea what will look's like the new Guildwars but I was thinking that If I want to be at the top with my computer, I am better to buy that one with that card instead of buying the other one that staples had. HP dv7 .

The reason I was obligated to buy at staples that was because I had by the pass one DV7 of hp and they replace the laptop by 1250$ gift card for staples. So I have try to purchase the biggest laptop at staples.

I have try the Hp Dv7 and for sure that's not the same quality of product but for my self, who do work with my computer and aslo do game alittle.. I was surprises to see the difference between both about the sound. The quality of the sound with that asus is really bad compare to Hp with beast audio.

I just hope I will not have any problem with that computer. I like one thing, it's really quiet. but for other bad point, I hate the finger pointing pad. I use usb mouse and that do not detect, and the pad still active and the box is checked for desactivate the pad when I use usb mouse.

any way I like to share and read all your story, I am kind of new with asus and for all about overclocking and all that. I read a lot this time .. it's only the first time I talk but I will try to introduce my self in my page soon.

If I have no problem for now with my configuration any tips for know if I need to upgrade or not the patch or the new version ? for now I have zero bug or problem.. I have unistall all crap and all is fine except for the pad.

MMLM

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Does your laptop have a Sentelic or a Synaptics touchpad? Look in Device Manager under "Mice and other pointing devices", then right-click on the touchpad device and choose "Properties" from the popup menu.

There are 2 options to improve the sound of the G74SX:

1) Launch Creative THX TruStudio and change the "Built-in Speakers" setting to "External Speakers". This has to be done at each boot unless you upgrade THX TruStudio to version 1.04.04.

2) If you UNinstall Creative THX TruStudio, you can then launch Realtek HD Audio Manager, go to "Speakers", select the "Sound Effects" tab, click on the "change to Graphic EQ" button and adjust the equalizer settings to improve the sound. Note the graphic equalizer and other sound effects are available only if you have uninstalled Creative THX TruStudio.

City Builder
01-28-2012, 09:49 PM
I have THX TruStudio 1.04.04 and I still have to set the speakers to External speakers upon every reboot of the laptop. Is there a newer version that you meant to say instead of 1.04.04?

M M L M
01-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Does your laptop have a Sentelic or a Synaptics touchpad? Look in Device Manager under "Mice and other pointing devices", then right-click on the touchpad device and choose "Properties" from the popup menu.

as for the pointing it's the sentelic that is indicate as my pointing device.

There are 2 options to improve the sound of the G74SX:

1) Launch Creative THX TruStudio and change the "Built-in Speakers" setting to "External Speakers". This has to be done at each boot unless you upgrade THX TruStudio to version 1.04.04.

2) If you UNinstall Creative THX TruStudio, you can then launch Realtek HD Audio Manager, go to "Speakers", select the "Sound Effects" tab, click on the "change to Graphic EQ" button and adjust the equalizer settings to improve the sound. Note the graphic equalizer and other sound effects are available only if you have uninstalled Creative THX TruStudio.

I have already that version 1.04.04 but what should I do... do I am better to unistall thx .. is it good or not, do that worth it.. what's the difference that software change on the quality of the sound... the quality that I talk is more about the quality of the speaker system .. that laptop does not have any subwoofer or any under speaker. That laptop as only in top ( above) I dont know how say that) the speaker are just under the screen. no subwoofer under the laptop like my other laptop. That's make hugh difference when you lissening movie or playing the game.

do that change will raise the quality of the sound ?

M M L M
01-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I have THX TruStudio 1.04.04 and I still have to set the speakers to External speakers upon every reboot of the laptop. Is there a newer version that you meant to say instead of 1.04.04?

You only need to click on the option 'select perephical' and then choose the realtek digital output

so this way you will not have the laptop speaker available on the choice, only speaker and headset will be show..

I hope this can help !

City Builder
01-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks.

dstrakele
01-28-2012, 11:15 PM
as for the pointing it's the sentelic that is indicate as my pointing device.?

Try the Sentelic version 9.1.7.7 driver. I've read one post where a user said it resolved his touchpad disable on USB mouse connection issue.

I have already that version 1.04.04 but what should I do... do I am better to unistall thx .. is it good or not, do that worth it.. what's the difference that software change on the quality of the sound... the quality that I talk is more about the quality of the speaker system .. that laptop does not have any subwoofer or any under speaker. That laptop as only in top ( above) I dont know how say that) the speaker are just under the screen. no subwoofer under the laptop like my other laptop. That's make hugh difference when you lissening movie or playing the game.

do that change will raise the quality of the sound ?

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to make the G74 built-in speakers sound better after eliminating the "Built-in Speakers" setting of THX TruStudio. They are just cheap little speakers. Headphones or external speakers are a must if you want any sound quality.

M M L M
01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Try the Sentelic version 9.1.7.7 driver. I've read one post where a user said it resolved his touchpad disable on USB mouse connection issue.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to make the G74 built-in speakers sound better after eliminating the "Built-in Speakers" setting of THX TruStudio. They are just cheap little speakers. Headphones or external speakers are a must if you want any sound quality.

So if I have understand, the best is to remove the THX STUDIO and the ALCHEMIE from creative. Do I am better to remove both of them ? What Alchemie is suppose to do ? From my opinion I have buy that computer for one reason, he was the more expensive and the biggest on the store... I explain, with the warantie I was lucky in the past 3-5 years... each time I buy one computer and purchase the extend waranty each time they was obligated to refound or to replace the computer after 2 years so that's the third laptop that I have from my first purchase in 2006. My first laptop was toshiba and after few time staples have sent to me credit for purchase in store.. but that first time I have learn how they do the evaluation and since that computer I have a new computer each 2 years free. The last time, my computer have die, the DV7 from HP and they send to me 1250 credit card for buy in store a new laptop so that one was amost free.. I choose that one for the graphic card because they are not easy to find laptop with 3 gb of ram so if that one broke in the future the warantie will need to send to me bigger credit ;o)

ok... so if I talk about the product inside.. do I need both creative application or I can remove them without affect the computer. I was just not sure...

This after noon or tomorow I will try to create my profile and my signature so you will see all I have on that computer and that will be more easy for all you.. again I am sorry for my bad english I speack french and I've learn english speaking only in some forum and in game with other player ! Good day to all you !

MMLM

BrodyBoy
01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
ok... so if I talk about the product inside.. do I need both creative application or I can remove them without affect the computer. I was just not sure...

This after noon or tomorow I will try to create my profile and my signature so you will see all I have on that computer and that will be more easy for all you.. again I am sorry for my bad english I speack french and I've learn english speaking only in some forum and in game with other player ! Good day to all you !

MMLM
The Creative programs are entirely optional. You can uninstall them if you like, and the Realtek Audio Manager will take over all audio processing and equalization duties.

dstrakele
01-30-2012, 01:47 AM
As I understand it, Creative ALchemy is used to enhance sound quality only in legacy games. See http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/alchemy/

M M L M
09-13-2012, 08:10 PM
BrodyBoy you can probably help me.

First of all, I am not happy with that computer, If I can make the change I will change any time for an other one. I have change 2 time already because they are not able to fix the problem with the pad, that's the second computer the first one staples have just change it instead of try to fix it any more.

Now the same problem continue.
I will try to explain, but please dont forget I am french ! ;o)

The finger sensing pad. I have the version 9.1.3.5
When you right click on the finger sensing pad icon and you click on the configure button ( last tab) you can set that Sentelic pad for detect and deactivate the sensing pad when you using external USB mouse.
That said: The keypad can be enabled / disabled automatically according to your preference.
At the second option, you can check the box ... (The message said:) Some users prefer the keypad is disabled when using an external USB mouse. Use this check box to activate the function. So I have check that box for disabled the pad when I have my USB mouse connected
(almost 95% of the time). That work correctly for indeterminate time and then I don't know why the pad activate himself without reason. Sometime it's only because I have insert my USB key, my logitech USB headphone or sometime for no reason like right now at this exact moment ! That just did it. without any reason. the keypad is enabled now but I did'nt touch the mouse. I am typing and my finger just hit the pad and the mouse on my screen moved.

For that problem I hope that you have some suggestion for I can fix that problem myself. I will really appreciate if you can share that information with me.

M M L M
09-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Where I can download that version ? On the site I can download only the version that I have already

dstrakele
09-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Uninstall the Sentelic 9.1.3.5 driver from"Control Panel-Uninstall a program, reboot, and install the version 9.1.7.7 driver. It resolves the touchpad reactivation issue..

Get it here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=.

M M L M
09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Uninstall the Sentelic 9.1.3.5 driver from"Control Panel-Uninstall a program, reboot, and install the version 9.1.7.7 driver. It resolves the touchpad reactivation issue..

Get it here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=.

Thank's, I will try that, but why the forum have driver's that the official site of asus do not have ? I do not understand that point. almost all driver's of the official site are all 2011 and 2010 version, Do you know why?

dstrakele
09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
It goes something like this :

1) ASUS has the laptops built using 3rd party devices (like touchpads from Sentelic, video cards from NVIDIA, etc.).

2) The 3rd party device makers develop the software drivers for their devices and send them to ASUS.

3) ASUS tests the drivers on the laptop (Quality Assurance Testing). If they encounter a problem with the driver, they send it back to the developer to be fixed. If there are no problems encountered in QA, they release the driver on the ASUS website

4) QA Testing is a very time-consuming process. But you can obtain the drivers when the device manufacturer releases them on THEIR website (before ASUS QA Testing).

5) ASUS makes money by selling laptops, not by providing you with the latest drivers for a laptop that has already been purchased. If they get a driver that passes QA, it may be quite some time before any new driver is released. NVIDIA releases new BETA version video drivers about every 2 weeks or so, but ASUS only QA tests the WHQL version releases that have passed NVIDIA BETA testing. That is why the NVIDIA drivers on the ASUS website are much older than the current NVIDIA release.

In summary, ASUS does not develop the drivers for their laptops (with the possible exception of the ATK Package drivers for the function keys and drivers for ASUS Bloatware apps). The 3rd party device manufacturers develop them for their devices.

ASUS makes their money selling laptops, not by providing the most current drivers. They only release drivers on the ASUS website that have passed QA Testing. QA Testing takes time, so the drivers released on the ASUS website are old. If you want the most recent drivers, you can download them from the device manufacturer website.

There will be a short quiz on this material tomorrow.

chrsplmr
09-14-2012, 01:13 AM
destrakele ... just yes ...WOW.c.