PDA

View Full Version : 751jy to 752vs upgrade. Storage options...

Weirdoutworld
01-27-2018, 09:45 PM
I have the stock 1tb 7200 HDD just about full with my games & mods. My OS win10 & modded GtaV is on a 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD. My g751jy suffered water damage while powered off & hasn't turned on for a few days. I removed both hard drives, tested them in my girlfriends cheap HP laptop & all my data is intact.

I'm not sure if my 751vs will come with one 500gb m.2 OR two 250gb m.2. raid 0 means they are connected to be one correct?

Should I use my original win10 (migrated to the m.2) or the new win10 & move everything else to the SSD that comes with my 752vs?

What data migration software (if I don't get a bigger Samsung SSD) do you recommend?

Can the DVD drive in the 752vs be removed to add a second 2.5" drive?

Any problems migrating data from 2.5" SSD to a m.2?

Going from two 2.5" HD bays to one 2.5" & possibly two m.2 slots seems like a data migration nightmare.

Perhaps with the money im saving by buying a refurbished 751vs I should just pick up a 2tb Samsung 850 Evo & be done with it... Any gaming improvement using m.2?

Sorry for rambling on & on. I'm just really excited to get a new gaming laptop.

Clintlgm
01-27-2018, 10:33 PM
I have the stock 1tb 7200 HDD just about full with my games & mods. My OS win10 & modded GtaV is on a 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD. My g751jy suffered water damage while powered off & hasn't turned on for a few days. I removed both hard drives, tested them in my girlfriends cheap HP laptop & all my data is intact.

I'm not sure if my 751vs will come with one 500gb m.2 OR two 250gb m.2. raid 0 means they are connected to be one correct?

Check with your vendor or the specs there usually listed as 256 GB X 2 or 500GB

Should I use my original win10 (migrated to the m.2) or the new win10 & move everything else to the SSD that comes with my 752vs?

You should keep the windows 10 that comes with your G752, your G751 was not NVME and your G752 is

What data migration software (if I don't get a bigger Samsung SSD) do you recommend?

You can use the supplied version that comes with a retail Samsung SSD or my preference id Macruim Reflect Free (https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree)

Can the DVD drive in the 752vs be removed to add a second 2.5" drive?

Yes you'll just need to find a caddy conversion on ebay

Any problems migrating data from 2.5" SSD to a m.2?

Yes your 2.5 SSD is SATA and your M.2 is NVME they are not compatible with OS moving data is no different than ever copy paste move or copy drag and drop the M.2 are no different that way.

Going from two 2.5" HD bays to one 2.5" & possibly two m.2 slots seems like a data migration nightmare.

Data is no problem just put your DATA 2.5 in the one slot and the others in a SATA to USB adapter or external case and copy over from USB

Perhaps with the money I'm saving by buying a refurbished 751vs I should just pick up a 2tb Samsung 850 Evo & be done with it... Any gaming improvement using m.2?

I thought you were getting a G752?

Sorry for rambling on & on. I'm just really excited to get a new gaming laptop.

A suggestion if your planning on a bigger M.2 SSD you should do it. Put it in the 2nd M.2 slot and clone smaller to larger. then pull the stock SSD and put it up for the future issues like if you have to RMA or you lose your OS SSD to a defect or virus you can drop the original back in and your back where you started easily. I totally confused whether you're getting a g752 which I assumed is the case my replies are for that a G752, if you are getting a g751 good luck I'm not much help with those.

Weirdoutworld
01-28-2018, 11:53 PM
Yes, I'm getting the g752vs very soon. Typo in the worst spot possible ha. Thanks for answering my questions!