cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Asustek where's our new UEFI's at ?????

brkkab123
Level 7
Hey Asustek it's now been a week since Intel gave you their latest fix for Spectre.
Where the hell is ouur new UEFI's at???????
We're sick and tired of waiting for them Asustek.
High time you all got off your asses and released them.
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
As a former software developer myself I can tell you that you are premature. One week is laughable. If I was on the ASUS firmware team I'd ask: "Do you want it done fast, or done right? Pick one." With all the issues caused by Intel's initial attempt they will want to make doubly sure this update doesn't break anything, and that takes time. So, if you had already seen an update that would be cause for concern because it would mean it was largely untested.

But yeah, go ahead and insult the work ethic of some low level employees you've never met doing jobs you're ignorant about. I'm sure that's just the pep talk they needed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Korth
Level 14
Intel's proposed fixes have not been well-received by everyone, lol.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/16922530/linus-torvalds-intel-spectre-cpu-fixes-comment

I'm forced to find myself agreeing with Linus (Torvalds, not Sebastian) on this one. There's no conspiracy theory, Intel didn't deliberately create these "backdoor" flaws/vulnerabilities in their architecture. But, that being said, they're quite happy to opportunistically exploit it with half-assed solutions on their existing tech and a solid security-conscious reason to upgrade to their new tech. They don't make money supporting and servicing (and replacing) old products, they make money selling new products.

Personally, I think this is a prime example of exactly what happens when products are rushed. Skylake, Z100, Kabylake, Z200, Coffeelake, Z300, all fired onto the market in rapid succession without any real effort dedicated to resolving a growing pile of serious errata, just keep moving forward and sell those CPUs to as many people as possible.

And logically, if rushed products create problems then rushed fixes will create more problems. It takes time to do things right. And it's already been proven that software dev doesn't work on mythical man-hours, you can't solve every kind of software problem (or even speed up the solution) by just throwing more men and machines and money at it. If it takes a week or a month then so be it, wait for the solution to arrive or use alternative technologies or mitigate the severity of living with the problem.

So I blame Intel, not ASUS. Don't get me wrong, ASUS is far from perfect, lol ... but in this instance any anger and demands directed at them is misplaced.

Intel sucks again, another point for Team Red.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

AKBAAR
Level 9
brkkab123 wrote:
Hey Asustek it's now been a week since Intel gave you their latest fix for Spectre.
Where the hell is ouur new UEFI's at???????
We're sick and tired of waiting for them Asustek.
High time you all got off your asses and released them.

chill please, they are one of the best Manufacturers who support their gears even older ones.