cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI3 CPU Temp - Package or Core?

idahosurge
Level 7
Is the CPU temperature shown in AI3 the package temperature or the highest core temperature?
7 REPLIES 7

namoi
Level 8
It is the cpu temp reported by the mobo and it is absolutely innacurate (on my x99).

Hwinfo for instance give me 46 for cpu package and 48 for cpu core max and the temp i see in ai suite is 37 which correspond to cpu in the motherboard branch of hwinfo (i also see in the same branch a cpu (peci) entry which gives the correct value (46).

So ai suite read the cpu temp (probably reported by a sensor under the cpu) instead of reading the cpu (peci).

namoi wrote:
It is the cpu temp reported by the mobo and it is absolutely innacurate (on my x99).

Hwinfo for instance give me 46 for cpu package and 48 for cpu core max and the temp i see in ai suite is 37 which correspond to cpu in the motherboard branch of hwinfo (i also see in the same branch a cpu (peci) entry which gives the correct value (46).

So ai suite read the cpu temp (probably reported by a sensor under the cpu) instead of reading the cpu (peci).

AI suite reports some sort of avg of 3 diff sensors for cpu temps. Most programs only report the core die temps which is why you see a difference. I remember seeing an asus guy say as much himself on youtube review of ai suite 3. I can't tell you if that's good or bad but I don't trust it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZC34v03Ak Just watched it again. And he's saying something about a Tcast temp? wtf is that? lmao. and they offset it with the socket temp. I thought there was a 3rd number. Because I don't know how they are calculating this "offset" between the socket and core temps or what a t-cast temp even is.... When he says DTS I assume he means the core die temp. its definitely not an avg of the different temps you see on the screen.

you know what I also find weird about watching that vid. I always though socket temps were hotter then core temps? But in that vid the motherboard socket temp is way lower? I guess it depends on the board sensors. Asus would know their boards, we hope...

I myself use a program called argus monitor to monitor temps and hardware because I love the overtime graph. It shows me core temps. and a bunc of temps i have no idea what they are. PECIO, CPUTIN, CPU Socket, and Virtual_Temp

I just checked and in argus monitor the CPU socket is indeed lower then the cpu core temp. I guess times have changed.

DSD27
Level 7
It's neither package or core. AI Suite uses a different sensor located at a differente place from the sensors other softwares use, and CPU temp is sually 10ºC-20ºC lower. So when you set fan curves in Fan Xpert be sure to have that in mind, I had to put mine to go full speed at 52ºC because, 52ºC on AI Suite is usually 65ºC-70ºC in reality.

DSD27 wrote:
It's neither package or core. AI Suite uses a different sensor located at a differente place from the sensors other softwares use, and CPU temp is sually 10ºC-20ºC lower. So when you set fan curves in Fan Xpert be sure to have that in mind, I had to put mine to go full speed at 52ºC because, 52ºC on AI Suite is usually 65ºC-70ºC in reality.

Thanks!

It looks like I will be adjusting my fan curves.

Right now I have them set to 100% @ 70C. I will probably lower that to 60C.

DSD27 wrote:

And i still dont get why we doesnt have the option to have a "more accurate sensor" CPU package / a Core....
since meltdown & Ai suite3 update nothing work well anymore ( and i use the same fan curve as always ) prior to that doomday, never had any issue to have a efficient fan manage so cooling., but now.. oh god. gained easyly 7-8 more °c.

wootwoots wrote:
And i still dont get why we doesnt have the option to have a "more accurate sensor" CPU package / a Core....
since meltdown & Ai suite3 update nothing work well anymore ( and i use the same fan curve as always ) prior to that doomday, never had any issue to have a efficient fan manage so cooling., but now.. oh god. gained easyly 7-8 more °c.
I agree.
One should have the option to choose which cpu temp is used in fan xpert.

+ and pls add gpu temp aswell so we can set a decent fan curve finally. I went retard figuring out this wrong temp reported. Im in a custom water loop and was having reading over 60c on load even whit max fan and pump speed