cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misreporting and Miscalculating CPU Speed during Overclock on 6001

Juvir
Level 7
Upgraded to the new 6001 bios today, and was pleased to see my Corsair Dominator Platinum will hit 3200 again without issues (seriously thankful for this). However... trying to overclock my 1800x to 4.0ghz again has been problematic at best. Even trying to apply a straight core overclock results in not booting windows (Hardware monitor on the right in the bios will say it is at 4.0 ghz with 100mhz fsb, 40 multiplier), but the bios info and post will say 3.6ghz. Interesting, I thought... so I applied my old overclock of 120fsb, 33.5 multiplier. Should result in my 3199mhz ram speed, 4020 CPU overclock that has worked in the past, right? Well... the hardware info on the right sure says it does. But the bios info and the post information's math is a little...off.

It should also be noted that in order to post this, I had to put 0 overclock on my CPU, and i'm still having stability issues that didn't exist before. I think this BIOS revision may have needed a little more Q&A before being released. It should also be noted the DOCP profile did not matter, any attempt at overclocking was causing a mismatch between the hardware info on the right, and the bios info/POST screen, even on manual mode. And the overclock shown in the screenshots would result in the same results regardless of DOCP profile selected before applying.
7 REPLIES 7

BlackBishop
Level 8
33.5 * 120 = 4020 - that should be ok
3200 * 120 = 3840 - that should not boot or fail in seconds (especially with such a low DRAM voltage)

If you want 3200 RAM speed for 120MHz bus select 2666.

BlackBishop wrote:
33.5 * 120 = 4020 - that should be ok
3200 * 120 = 3840 - that should not boot or fail in seconds (especially with such a low DRAM voltage)

If you want 3200 RAM speed for 120MHz bus select 2666.

I have the 2666 selected for the 3199 mhz in the images above, it's the settings i've used in the past with success. Again though, when I use all of the settings shown above, instead of getting the 4020 CPU overclock I should be getting (and hardware monitor says I have on the right), if you look at the first screenshot, it's actually clocking my CPU at the 4325. While it will post, it won't boot into windows at speeds that high, naturally.

I don't see 2666 above but nevermind 😉

Why do you want to use BCLK anyway nowadays? AFAIK it causes problems in newer BIOSes (at least above 3008) - some people can't set it above default 100MHz by small notch because it causes problems for them. Maybe you have exactly same problem.

BlackBishop wrote:
I don't see 2666 above but nevermind 😉

Why do you want to use BCLK anyway nowadays? AFAIK it causes problems in newer BIOSes (at least above 3008) - some people can't set it above default 100MHz by small notch because it causes problems for them. Maybe you have exactly same problem.

If you read the OP, I explain why I tried it... Even keeping the BCLK at a stock 100 and pushing up my multi only ended up with weird results in this bios revision. The Hardware Monitor on the right said it was at 4.0ghz, but the bios information only showed 3.6ghz, as well as the POST screen. There's apparently a miscalculation/misreporting problem in the new bios when overclocking the CPU.

And you won't see 2666 above, because the number values change to reflect what the actual value is once you push the BCLK up ;). 2666 under 120 becomes 3199 (2666 / 100 = 26.66 * 120 = 3199.2).

This may help with your CPU stability. For OC Forum.

Quote: Originally Posted by neur0cide
CLDO_VDDP does have a major impact on stability. But this is mostly true for DR modules.
I have tested ~25 kits in the last 8 months (SR and DR B-die and DR D-/E-die exclusively) and on about half of them I experimented with CLDO_VDDP. I found that almost every DR kit needs adjustments on CLDO_VDDP to show its true potential, whereas SR kits rarely need any - except of course in case of a memory hole .
Quad kits with SR modules (4 Ranks) also benefit from alternate values sometimes, but not nearly to the extent of true DR modules and usually I don't have to stray far away from the default 950mv.

For example the kit in my signature (F4-3200C15D-32GTZ) was running fine with 3200-14-13-13-13 @1.375v. CLDO_VDDP=866mv allowed me to move up to 3333-14-14-14-14 @1.395v. With CLDO_VDDP=855mv I was able to lower DRAM voltage to 1.375v.

As for the frequency miss-reporting. Elmor replied to a post earlier.

Quote: Originally Posted by hurricane28
Frequency misreports is still not fixed...
I am on 3.8 GHz now and the begin screen of the BIOS reports 3.2 GHz and Windows current speed is 4.48 GHz and bass speed is 3.8 GHz...
@elmor , do you know what is going on here?

Yes I know what's going on, and it's being worked on.

Clouseau
Level 7
The issue you think you are having about the incorrect readout of the CPU speed does not exist. There is no error. Since 3008 the information on that screen reads out the base speed of the cpu. Base speed of an 1800X is 3.6GHz. so 36 x 120 = 4320 MHz. 4325 just reveals that the actual BCLK is a fraction above the value set.