cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft buzzing noise from GL502-WS71 under load

darmok123
Level 7
I’ve had a GL502VS-WS71 for about a year with no issues. Today I noticed that when under load there is a very faint buzzing noise coming from somewhere above the keyboard but below the screen. It’s different than the fan noise per de and I actually only noticed it when (to be very specific) I was playing Hearts of Iron IV and zoomed in on a snowy Finland which is very white and bright. I’ve noticed on some other properly functioning laptops that the screen sometimes make a very faint, barely audible whine when showing a bright screen; this is different but perhaps a similar level of noise (though in the case it’s definitely not coming from the screen). I don’t notice it until I go to a bright image when under load. It goes away when the load goes down. Anyone had this and is there anything I can/should do short of taking it apart or sending it for repair?
3 REPLIES 3

FastM
Level 8
search for “Coil Whine”

Apparently there is an option in the application ThrottleStop that can help with that, although i’ve never tried it myself.*

FastM wrote:
search for “Coil Whine”

Apparently there is an option in the application ThrottleStop that can help with that, although i’ve never tried it myself.*

This doesn’t really sound like coil whine. I’ve had that before. This is more of a buzz. It’s a lower pitch.

It appears to come from somewhere approximately underneath the space between the F9/F10 keys and the screen.