cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1070 Strix OC ignoring clock settings and GPU Tweak modes

Netherspark
Level 7
Up until last week sometime, my 1070 Strix OC would boost to a maximum of 1833Mhz. This was under the "Gaming" setting of GPU Tweak, which is the standard setting it comes pre set to. Switching to "OC" mode would let it go up to 2037Mhz, but I prefered to leave it at the standard setting.

But after installing a new motherboard & CPU the card when under load now always boosts to 2037 regardless of the GPU Tweak settings. Whether it's set to "OC" mode, "Gaming" or "Silent" mode it always goes upto 2037Mhz. I've even tried to manually underclock it with three different apps but it still ignores them all and keeps boosting as high as it can go.

I've tried reinstalling drivers and all of the apps several times but it makes no difference. I have no idea why it insists on running at maximum.

(please don't misread this as it running max clock ALL the time due to power settings, it still steps down to 139Mhz when idle)

I'd really like some assistance here.
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
It is normal behavior to boost past rated boost speed as long as temperatures remain low enough (I have an EVGA 1080 that always boosts to 2050 mhz without OCing it and every Pascal card I own boosts past rated speed), why you can't limit the OC is a little of a mystery for sure
Try uninstalling any OC software you have installed,reinstall driver one more time then open GPU-Z, sensor tab and see what it boosts to without the software installed
Is there a reason you don't like the higher boost clock, is it running to hot, or is it just bothering you that it is not reacting as expected, most people would be happy with the higher clocks as long as temperatures stay in check

Nate152
Yep, as Menthol is pointing out it's GPU Boost 3.0 at work, as long as temps are cool it will automatically boost past the rated clock speed.

With the Strix cooler you can expect cool temps and you should be happy with the higher clock speed as it's free performance. 🙂

Well it wasn't doing this before last week, and is still completely ignoring all manual settings. That is my main concern.

I'm also not comfortable running it at max clock all the time, partly due to power consumption and longevity, and also due to fan noise. It's running at 65c and above, (5-10c hotter than before) which is fine temperature wise but those fans are quite loud at that speed. (actually the strix fans are loud at any speed, but this makes them worse).

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
GPU Boost 3.0 will exceed the desired boost clock if temperature and power constraints allow, as above. However, this should not prevent you from applying a core offset. The fact you're unable to reduce the core clock even with a low offset indicates an issue somewhere.

Considering the motherboard and CPU have been changed, I'd suggest installing a dummy OS on a seperate drive and seeing if the issue is resolved.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I tried running it on a freshly installed version of Windows on a spare hard drive and the issue remains. Even tried multiple drivers.

When I upgraded the rest of my system I did also get a new vastly superior power supply. Could that have any effect on it?

Netherspark wrote:
I tried running it on a freshly installed version of Windows on a spare hard drive and the issue remains. Even tried multiple drivers.

When I upgraded the rest of my system I did also get a new vastly superior power supply. Could that have any effect on it?

Doubtful.

Forcing a temp/TDP limit in GPU Tweak II should help in the same way as a negative offset if you're not comfortable with the warmer temps. 65c is more than fine, though.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090