cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix X99. SLI with sound card.

bartosz_bruhn
Level 7
I would like to buy some sound card to my PC on PCIE interface. I'm using Strix X99 motherboard with i7 6850k.
I have allredy installed 2 cards in SLI. And only free port, where can I install it is port on bottom motherboard x8. Is should be use for 3way SLI (x16, x8, x8).
My question, if BIOS recognise that sound card is working in x1 PCIE mode (default on port is x8)?
So i can still use SLI with 16x 16x configuration and this one sound card.

Br.
9 REPLIES 9

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi.
Is PCIEX4_1 free?I am asking,because if you have PCIEX8_3 free and you run identical cards,then PCIEX4_1 must be free,if you did not put something in it.
Before buying Creative ZxR,I put Asus Xonar D2X to lowest GPU slot with SLI enabled and my GPUs we’re running at x16.

Thanks, x4 is "under" SLI bridge. Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 may not fit, cause my AiO graphics cards are narrow.
And 2nd interferences between two cards can be more noticeable then under secend one.

--GPU1
--GPU1
--SoundCard
--GPU2
--GPU2
--Free slot

--GPU1
--GPU1
--Free slot
--GPU2
--GPU2
--SoundCard

MikeAdu
Level 9
I think,you can go in both ways.
First one-remove SLI bridge,install sound card,put SLI bridge back.
Second-Just install card,both GPU should work at 16.

I have already received my Sound Card. Sound Blaster AE-5 Gaming. And unfortunately it doesnt work for me with SLI config.
1) Doesnt work.
GPU1 in PCIEX16_1
GPU2 in PCIEX16_2
SoundCard in PCIEX8_1
PCIEX8_1 set to AUTO mode or force x8, still doesnt work.

2) Works.
GPU1 in PCIEX16_1
GPU2 in PCIEX16_2
SoundCard in PCIEX4_1
It works, but sound card is between GPUs, and is very very hot there.
Backplate of graphic card touching EIM shield of Soundcard.
All records form my mic was with terrible noise. And my headphone wasn't detect by Sound Card.

Conf:
I cant run sound card in PCIEX8_1 also with only one GPU in PCIEX16_1 slot.

Now i going to try with external Sound Card Xonar U7 MKII.

Can I select Gen (1 or 2 or3) type of PCIEX8_1 in BIOS. Where can I find this features?

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi.
Hm...
First thing-you have PCIE X8_3.
Second.Soundblaster AE-5 is x1.
Strange.
Please post the picture of your setup,mostly PCI LINES’ side.
We’ll try to figure it out.

MikeAdu
Level 9
I was running both cards at x16 with sound card plugged in PCIE x8_4,now I run different graphic cards in SLI at x16 with sound card plugged in PCIE x4_1 without issues.
Try to clear BIOS and test it again.

MikeAdu
Level 9
Here is the page from manual:

Hi, allready refound my Sound Card on PCI. Only one thing which i do not try is to change GEN Type of PCIE 8_3 to GEN1.(Miners trick to get more GPU in PCIE) But now it's too late to check this out.
Now I'm testing Xonar U7 MKII.