cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme 1950x - CPU voltage and temps oscillating in BIOS

JackBauerz
Level 7
Hey everyone.

Is anyone seeing wild temperature and voltage (and fan) swings on the Zenith Extreme X399 board, while just in BIOS?

The voltage is oscillating (when in auto) from 1.2x up to 1.5x and then back, in kind of a sawtooth pattern. This results in the CPU temperature surging and fans doing the same. Again, in BIOS, with no other programs (windows, etc...) running.

Asus says to send it in for repair, but I'm just a little skeptical it's not a bios defect because as soon as I put the voltage on manual and turn of CPU boost (just those 2 settings), cpu temp is rock solid and no fan oscillations either. It just sounds strange to me that the only thing messed up on my board would be its ability to manage a stable voltage, until of course I set a manual voltage - and then it's perfectly stable.

I'm using the latest BIOS. Just appreciate if someone can check their EZ bios config and see what their CPU temp is doing?
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Does it do this in Advanced BIOS mode?

I'll check EZ mode...never used it before...maybe it's like sitting in OS and you see normal CPU voltage variance..

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99877-Zenith-Extreme-Stock-Voltage

EDIT:

Here graph for temp is drawing a saw...simply because of scale...and voltage is moving between 1.3v and 1.5v...this will depend on cooling I guess...better cooling higher v values as CPU boosts to 4.2GHz etc.

That's the last time I ever set EZ mode 😉

Thank you for responding.

Yes the oscillations happen regardless of what type of bios display mode - easy or advanced.

The culprit is "core performance boost". If disabled, the voltage doesn't jump all over the place. In fact it's stable at 1.046v in BIOS. Nice flat 32C temperature, no oscillations whatsoever.

In Windows, with processes running (and leaving Vcore set to auto, just disabling core performance boost), Vcore is jumping around a bit, but it's not surging to 1.5v under no load whatsoever (like it's doing in BIOS)

My CPU cooling is awesome. Enermax 280 AIO, rated at 500 watt TDP, and at 178w dissipated, my CPU temp is only 61C in a 23C room. So the CPU cooling is not an issue.

I may still RMA this. Odd behavior right now in AI Suite just after a reboot. Trying to get Fan Xpert to confirm smoothing is off, and it's just acting very slow. In the end so much is running right with this system but it is remotely possible the tech support team is right, and there are other issues with the motherboard. But we all know AI Suite is temperamental at best. (But I experienced some odd issues rebooting earlier, getting into bios... So combination of a number of small things)

Still though I really think this core performance boost is buggy. Very buggy in fact.

Retired
Not applicable
JackBauerz wrote:
Thank you for responding.
My CPU cooling is awesome. Enermax 280 AIO, rated at 500 watt TDP, and at 178w dissipated, my CPU temp is only 61C in a 23C room. So the CPU cooling is not an issue.

Is that the temperature while your computer is under idle mode? If so, that is high considering only room temperature.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Core performance boost is enabling Precision Boost and XFR...so disabling it, your CPU will not boost as high that is all...so of course less voltage is needed...

Yes I get that.

But there's no reason whatsoever for, in BIOS, the system to be boosting so much so as to drive Vcore over 1.5v. That's 50% more than it is right now, running windows (with CPB disabled) Literally it's under 1v right now. (Granted the CPU has down-clocked to under 3GHz, but why the heck would it boost to over 4GHz while in BIOS...)

Either the board is indeed defective - or the the Asus implemention of CPB is all messed up.

Sorry to necro a thread but did you get the issue fixed?

I'm having the same problem and my fans are driving me insane with the constant spinning up and down.
My mini-itx system is cooler than this under heavy load and it gets very warm! 🙂

Yockeren
Level 7
Well i found out what my problem was.
Basically Enermax coolers are sh*t. Google Enermax failing and you will see for your self.
They will start to fail after around 3 months.