cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus AiProtection requires email password?

gaaah
Level 7
I installed my new Asus Blue Cave router yesterday and am still working thru some odd glitches. I wanted to try the AiProtection feature. In that part of the setup you can elect to have email alerts sent to you if anything is fishy. Problem is, the web setup requests my email password, as well as address. WTF do they need my email password for? (Not going to give it to them. Not gaah dahit.)
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
If it's sending mail directly from the router then it has to connect to an email server to send mail. Your mail provider won't let anyone send mail without a password (that's how spam gets worse). If mail is sent from an ASUS service maybe they want you to enter an ASUS account password? Not sure.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

HI,

The router needs to know where to send the email too, hence your email.

Also, it needs to connect to an email (SMTP) *server (such as google) to send the email. ISP's and Web Based Email providers require users to log into their account before sending email to reduce spam through their network. I have never had a problem entering these details in all the various routers I have owned over the years.

If you are that concerned, just open a web based email purely for this feature, however from my view a little unnecessary.